An open letter to Worm

neved
Gregarious
kołdry
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

An open letter to Worm

Unread post by neved » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Dear Mr. Worm,

here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =624278078 you write:
Jimmy, I've pointed this out to Eric - but I would like to object to your request. Simply, I think it's unfair that you are almost certainly discussing him below - even if you are not doing it specifically - and asking him not to comment on those discussions.
It is hard to disagree with you, but...
May I please ask you to tell me, if you think that so called community bans discussions, in which a person who is being lynched is not allowed to participate are even more unfair? If you do think it is unfair, why don't you do anything to stop it? If you think it is fair, could you please clarify why.

Thanks.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Re: An open letter to Worm

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:00 pm

I think he is on the record as believing these lynch mobs are nasty. In fact I met a few of the Arbcom at the conference and they all seem to think the same way. When you ask them what they can do about it, they say they can't do anything.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Peter Damian wrote:I think he is on the record as believing these lynch mobs are nasty. In fact I met a few of the Arbcom at the conference and they all seem to think the same way. When you ask them what they can do about it, they say they can't do anything.
Sure they could.
Lynch mobs actions should be prevented or at least overturned.
The arbitrators even adopted this thing

Review of community sanctions

11) The Wikipedia community, acting through a fair discussion leading to consensus achieved on the administrators' noticeboard or another appropriate venue, may impose a sanction on an editor who has engaged in problematic behavior. A sanctioned editor may request an appeal to the Arbitration Committee. While the Arbitration Committee is authorized to overturn or reduce a community sanction, such action is relatively rare, and would be based on good cause such as a finding that (1) some aspect of the community discussion was procedurally unfair, (2) the sanction imposed appears to be significantly excessive or overbroad, (3) circumstances have changed significantly since the community sanction was imposed, or (4) non-public information that should not be addressed on-wiki, such as personal information or checkuser data, is relevant to the decision.

Passed 15 to 0 at 20:38, 16 February 2011 (UTC).

I hope nobody in his right mind would call a lynch mob action "a fair discussion".
Arbitrators do have the tool and power to stop it, but they do not.
That's why I am repeating one more time that no decent, honest person could survive the govcom.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:45 pm

neved wrote:Arbitrators do have the tool and power to stop it, but they do not.
Oh FFS. The arbs have just about enough authority to wipe their own asses without asking for permission. It's not fair to demand that they wipe everyone else's.
This is not a signature.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:23 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Oh FFS. The arbs have just about enough authority to wipe their own asses without asking for permission. It's not fair to demand that they wipe everyone else's.
It is a wrong excuse. Besides I am not talking about wiping asses (let them stink), I am talking about stopping lynching on the so called charitable site.

See, if everybody were thinking they do not have enough authority to do the right thing, the whole world still would have been as it was described in 1984.
And arbitrators have nothing to loose, but maybe their power. Nobody is going to kill them, nobody would send them to GULAG or even to an American prison. If they have any honesty, any decency, any sanity left they should do everything they could to stop anonymous, lynching mobs.

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:34 am

I will reply further after the weekend if anyone other than neved would like me to. But basically Peter Damian and SB Johnny have it right.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:41 am

turnedworm wrote:I will reply further after the weekend if anyone other than neved would like me to. But basically Peter Damian and SB Johnny have it right.
I'd like you to respond to the issues raised last time you were here, before you disappeared. But I know that's not going to happen.
-----------
Notvelty

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:49 am

Um... Any chance of a link or a summary? Again, happy to respond (as best I can) after the weekend - but I prefer to keep weekends for family, not Wikipedia nonsense

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 am

Notvelty, could you please briefly outline, with links to the pivotal events, what happened to you at Wikipedia, or point me to a summary that you think adequately explains it? There are quite a number of people here who sincerely believe they've been unjustly treated by Wikipedia.

Worm, I'd be very interested in hearing your views on Wikipedia's ability to deal justly with volunteers.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:18 am

turnedworm wrote:I will reply further after the weekend if anyone other than neved would like me to. But basically Peter Damian and SB Johnny have it right.
So,

1. Some or many of the arbs believe the lynch mentality is nasty etc.

2. Arbs can’t do anything about it. SBJ adds “The arbs have just about enough authority to wipe their own asses without asking for permission”.

I was half tongue in cheek. Why actually can’t arbs do anything? I once asked, and the WMF supported it, that ‘community bans’, which falsely imply they have the support of the whole community, be rebadged as arbitration bans. The arbs didn’t even reply, to the annoyance of WMF.

In any case, I am sure there are plenty of things the committee could do, such as pass a resolution, actually re-badge the bans, even unilaterally unblock. Why can’t they do something?

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:37 am

I see where you're going, in that the arbcom could take authority over the bans, as a sort of "court of appeal". Isn't that theoretically already the case with the BASC? I know that's heavily criticised, but it does exist. I'm not sure if all community bans can be appealed there, though, I confess.

I don't see how "re-badging" bans they didn't make themselves as 'arbitration bans' really helps, but I could easily be missing something there.

If the "lynch mob" mentality is the problem, then surely that's the thing to address - same as we don't allow citizens to string up murderers in the town square without due process any more in real life.

Of course, that leads to contemplation of sheriffs, deputies, guns and the Wild West - which is probably a whole chapter of some book.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:47 am

Jim wrote:I don't see how "re-badging" bans they didn't make themselves as 'arbitration bans' really helps, but I could easily be missing something there.
I hate the idea of being banned by some sort of 'community'. It makes me seem kind of dysfunctional. If by contrast I have been banned by some sort of due process, then it doesn't seem nearly as bad. At least to me. It's hard to say why. I suppose a due process is something completely impersonal, with people following rules, perhaps even doing things they wouldn't do if it was them, and not the system and rules they were following. There is no animus.

Community ban, by contrast, is deeply personal. I also hate the way that the participants prevent the victim from speaking for themselves, and how if the victim says anything rude, they are set upon, but the tricoteuses, by contrast, are allowed to say all kinds of hateful and spiteful things.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:55 am

I can see that. "Banned by the community" does have that connotation.

If you set up a system of "magistrates courts" instead, would that improve it? I'm not sure it necessarily would, because chances are they'd end up staffed by "hanging Judges" like Sandstein. Perhaps I'm too cynical.

Randomly selected juries? That's another option, I guess - but selecting jurors and getting them to even show up seems like it might be problematical in a huge anonymous "community".
I also hate the way that the participants prevent the victim from speaking for themselves, and how if the victim says anything rude, they are set upon, but the tricoteuses, by contrast, are allowed to say all kinds of hateful and spiteful things.
Yes. I posted the Life of Brian "stoning" video somewhere else, but that's about the size of it.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:57 pm

turnedworm wrote: But basically Peter Damian and SB Johnny have it right.
Which means that turnedworm has just admitted the "charitable" tax-exempt wikipedia is run and governed by a few anonymous bullies, by lynch mobs, and the govcom has no authority to stop them?

I mean we all know what "community" means in regards to bans.
Tarc summed it perfectly http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... an_enacted
What this sort of thing comes down to is how many supporters you can line up vs. how many opponents they can line up. It's like World of Warcraft, sometimes there's just too many orcs and not enough humans. Tarc (talk) 16:23, 24 January 2013 (UTC)

And the govcom has not enough authority to stop these orcs?
It is an absurd!
The govcom has more than enough authority to stop lynch mobs. What they are lacking of is not an authority, but decency, honesty and even simple sanity.

And I wonder why I suddenly remembered that quote by Abraham Lincoln
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Last edited by neved on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Jim wrote:I can see that. "Banned by the community" does have that connotation.
If you set up a system of "magistrates courts" instead, would that improve it? I'm not sure it necessarily would, because chances are they'd end up staffed by "hanging Judges" like Sandstein. Perhaps I'm too cynical.
Why not just block people instead? They can either honour the block or not, and that is the case whether they are community banned or not. You cannot stop anyone editing Wikipedia if they really want. The current system is not about preventing people from editing, it's about humiliating them in every nasty little way.

Or perhaps that's it. Imagine if it was 'one life only', where you simply cannot edit at all without permission. Then there wouldn't be the need for the scarlet letter business, and also people would be a lot more careful about how they behaved. That's right, the current system is simply about humiliation not punishment.

There was an old rule that blocks were preventative, not punitive, but we don't hear much of that.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Jim wrote:I can see that. "Banned by the community" does have that connotation.
Why not just block people instead? They can either honour the block or not, and that is the case whether they are community banned or not. You cannot stop anyone editing Wikipedia if they really want. The current system is not about preventing people from editing, it's about humiliating them in every nasty little way.

Or perhaps that's it. Imagine if it was 'one life only', where you simply cannot edit at all without permission. Then there wouldn't be the need for the scarlet letter business, and also people would be a lot more careful about how they behaved. That's right, the current system is simply about humiliation not punishment.

There was an old rule that blocks were preventative, not punitive, but we don't hear much of that.
The only purpose of community bans is humiliation, but they don't even understand that they humiliate themselves, their site, their govcom.
Last edited by neved on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Why not just block people instead? They can either honour the block or not, and that is the case whether they are community banned or not. You cannot stop anyone editing Wikipedia if they really want. The current system is not about preventing people from editing, it's about humiliating them in every nasty little way.
That's a fair point. I think the difference was supposed to be that you can get unblocked just by convincing one admin, but to get unbanned you need to 'appeal'. There's some logic to that, if, as you say, the initial banning process wasn't being tossed in the village pond to see if you float. I absolutely agree about the 'scarlet letter' thing, and humiliation.

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Jim wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:Why not just block people instead? They can either honour the block or not, and that is the case whether they are community banned or not. You cannot stop anyone editing Wikipedia if they really want. The current system is not about preventing people from editing, it's about humiliating them in every nasty little way.
That's a fair point. I think the difference was supposed to be that you can get unblocked just by convincing one admin, but to get unbanned you need to 'appeal'. There's some logic to that, if, as you say, the initial banning process wasn't being tossed in the village pond to see if you float. I absolutely agree about the 'scarlet letter' thing, and humiliation.
I should have said, with all blocks having a maximum time period, say 6 months.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Jim wrote:
Well, as you say, you can't really stop a person from editing, just an anonymous account, they love to go on about the 6 month 'standard offer', and they will all tell you 'reblocks are cheap' for repeat offenders, so, yeah, why not?

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Jim wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:
Jim wrote:
Well, as you say, you can't really stop a person from editing, just an anonymous account, they love to go on about the 6 month 'standard offer', and they will all tell you 'reblocks are cheap' for repeat offenders, so, yeah, why not?
It's simple: the only reason of those bans is bullying. They are not interested in preventing somebody from editing, and they have no means to do it anyway. They are interested in bullying.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:21 pm

turnedworm wrote:I will reply further after the weekend if anyone other than neved would like me to.
What a childish behavior unbecoming not only of an arbitrator, but even simply of an adult :hrmph:

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:36 am

Anthonyhcole wrote:Notvelty, could you please briefly outline, with links to the pivotal events, what happened to you at Wikipedia, or point me to a summary that you think adequately explains it? There are quite a number of people here who sincerely believe they've been unjustly treated by Wikipedia.

Worm, I'd be very interested in hearing your views on Wikipedia's ability to deal justly with volunteers.
Nothing happened to me at wikipedia. I do not contribute.
-----------
Notvelty

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:39 am

turnedworm wrote:Um... Any chance of a link or a summary? Again, happy to respond (as best I can) after the weekend - but I prefer to keep weekends for family, not Wikipedia nonsense
Don't feed me bullshit lines. It is trivial for you to examine the last threads you were involved in before the questions became too uncomfortable and you left. I've said my bit and I'm not interested in playing bush-league politics with a wannabe.
-----------
Notvelty

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:26 am

Notvelty wrote:
turnedworm wrote:Um... Any chance of a link or a summary? Again, happy to respond (as best I can) after the weekend - but I prefer to keep weekends for family, not Wikipedia nonsense
Don't feed me bullshit lines. It is trivial for you to examine the last threads you were involved in before the questions became too uncomfortable and you left. I've said my bit and I'm not interested in playing bush-league politics with a wannabe.
Ah, Notvelty, look what you've done. Now turnedworm would not respond your questions either. :D

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 am

I'm not seeing any benefit to this sort of slashing about.

You've said your pieces.

If WTT wants to respond, they can PM me and I'll unlock this.

:lock:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Zoloft wrote:I'm not seeing any benefit to this sort of slashing about.

You've said your pieces.

Unlocking the topic for reply from WTT, expected around 0900 UTC.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Zoloft wrote:I'm not seeing any benefit to this sort of slashing about.

You've said your pieces.

Unlocking the topic for reply from WTT, expected around 0900 UTC.
Oh. I love it. If you should choose to accept this mission, Dave:

http://countingdownto.com/countdown/wor ... down-clock

Disclaimer: it'll be wrong - too many timezones, and I'm shit at converting - but done for fun.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I just wanted to drop a note that me and WTT talked in Email. I'm not sure what his response will be but I just wanted to let you know.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:04 am

Morning all. I am here, just running a little behind. Hopefully I'll cover everything.

In case anyone was wondering, there was a reason I asked if anyone but Neved was interested in my answer - I've discussed my thoughts with her by email 3 or 4 times. I've told her that I'm not willing to go over the same ground with her again and again.

I'm not, however, unwilling to discuss the topic of fairness and how it applies to users.
Wikipedia's community does not treat all users equally - it is by definition unfair. New users are not given the same respect as those who've been around a little while. Arbitrary numerical values such as edit count or length of block log are given far too much weight. Diffs, whilst they are better than nothing, show text in isolation and do not give the whole picture. Rules are malleable and enforcement is uneven. It's not designed to be "fair" because it's not designed to manage a community.

Wikipedia is designed as a wiki, an open method for adding and removing information. Managing a wiki is fine when it's a small-ish size, but next to impossible when it becomes as large as Wikipedia. Any community (not just Wikipedia's) will struggle to self-enforce without leadership. If the goal is a fair or just system for all equally - Wikipedia would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Instead, I take a pragmatic view. I speak up when I see excessive acts of unfairness. I accept what I cannot change. I work to improve what I see can be improved, bit by bit.

I am on record that I think the "lynch mobs" are "barbaric". Of course, there's rhetoric in that statement - ANI is in no way as bad as real life lynchings - but the point stands, there has to be a better way to remove people from the community. I do support removing people from the community indefinitely and it shouldn't just be down to one administrator. Nor should it be a discussion between those people who've got most annoyed with the individual who should be removed. At the moment, I can't think of a better system that fits within Wikipedia's constraints, but I would support one.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:15 am

There are things Arbcom can do and things they can't. I think SB_Johnny summed it up really well when he said
SB_Johnny wrote:
As a committee, if we try to do anything, we have to push through the same resistance that anyone else trying to make a change would. Look at how much work has gone into changes that Arbcom has managed to make.
The same comes in overturning bans. Arbcom can do it, but it's not easy. If we were go against the "will of the community" we'd know about it soon enough.

The fact is Arbcom exists for a few small purposes. Sorting a few things that the community can't, these are becoming fewer and fewer, I'm hoping that Arbcom won't exist in 2 years. The committee exists because the community lets it exist. It exists so that a few hundred thousand editors can believe that someone can sort out the fights.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:10 am

Notvelty said I left without responding to issues last time I was here. I've done a bit of searching and I think I've found what he was talking about. I'm assuming it's the Kumioko thread - I don't want to go into the specifics of that case because we're now in a much more positive place and I don't see how muck raking will help that. I contacted Kumioko on that and I believe he agrees that moving on would be better.

However, there were a few unresolved direct questions

First there was
tarantino wrote:
turnedworm wrote: I have been free with my name and general location.
Is that the name your friends and family call you, or is it only used for special occasions?
My name is David Craven. That's what my family call me. Most of my friends call me Dave. It's the name my parents gave me and the name I have always had.
Vigilant wrote:Let me ask you a direct question.
Would you be fine with me contacting employers for all holders of advanced permissions on the project if they appear to have edited from a work IP during normal business hours?

It is theft of services to use the company's network for personal business.
It is time theft to do personal business on company hours.

Would you be okay with me doing this?
I'm assuming this a rhetorical question - of course I wouldn't be okay with you doing that.

As to the question behind the question - how is it different?
I asked myself that a few times back in May. I had lots of answers but they all sounded hollow. Assuming you'd dropped the scale - contacting the employer of a single holder of advanced permissions, rather than "all of them", I honestly couldn't not come up with a single satisfactory answer as to why it would justifiable for one, but not for the other. I didn't answer because I don't have an answer.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 am

Peter Damian wrote:
So,

1. Some or many of the arbs believe the lynch mentality is nasty etc.

2. Arbs can’t do anything about it. SBJ adds “The arbs have just about enough authority to wipe their own asses without asking for permission”.

I was half tongue in cheek. Why actually can’t arbs do anything? I once asked, and the WMF supported it, that ‘community bans’, which falsely imply they have the support of the whole community, be rebadged as arbitration bans. The arbs didn’t even reply, to the annoyance of WMF.

In any case, I am sure there are plenty of things the committee could do, such as pass a resolution, actually re-badge the bans, even unilaterally unblock. Why can’t they do something?
I wouldn't support re-badging of bans to Arbcom bans. I want Arbcom to have a smaller role, not a larger one - I'd really like to see the committee gone. I would like to see a better process for removal, as I said above - but how could that work? "Jury of your peers" wouldn't - because almost all editors don't care about banned or banning (I'm guessing about less than 100 editors frequent ANI, whilst there are about 130k active editors at the moment). Combined with the volunteering constraint, the only people who would sit on the jury are those who volunteer to and I don't see how that's any better. I do however see a benefit to re-badging the bans to something else - not "community bans" but maybe "non-arbcom bans"? Someone should be able to think of something better.

What about time limited blocks and dropping the "indef". I believe that's how things used to be - before my time I'm afraid. The culture shifted as the community grew and users returned after waiting out their blocks. If the userbase was still expanding, I'd believe it was possible - that returning users who demonstrated the same problematic behaviour would be noticed and re-blocked.

So what about "one life only" - turning off editing by default? Allowing editing by randoms is so fundamental to Wikipedia's process that it's just not going to happen. You only need to be logged in, not even autoconfirmed, to create an article. Flagged revisions are not allowed. There's so much force from the foundation and the community saying they want randoms to be able to edit. As I said, to make a decent change - Wikipedia would have to be re-built from the ground up.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Vigilant wrote:Let me ask you a direct question.
Would you be fine with me contacting employers for all holders of advanced permissions on the project if they appear to have edited from a work IP during normal business hours?

It is theft of services to use the company's network for personal business.
It is time theft to do personal business on company hours.

Would you be okay with me doing this?
I just wanted to drop a note here about this one for clarification. It is not theft of services for me to edit while at work. It falls under a fair use clause along with Facebook and a number of other things. Of course there are limits to that and it needs to be reasonable but its not a legal issue from that aspect. Of course I cannot run a business or profit off the company but doing an occasional edit or making a comment, as I am doing here, isn't forbidden.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:05 pm

turnedworm wrote:There are things Arbcom can do and things they can't. I think SB_Johnny summed it up really well when he said
SB_Johnny wrote:
As a committee, if we try to do anything, we have to push through the same resistance that anyone else trying to make a change would. Look at how much work has gone into changes that Arbcom has managed to make.
The same comes in overturning bans. Arbcom can do it, but it's not easy. If we were go against the "will of the community" we'd know about it soon enough.

The fact is Arbcom exists for a few small purposes. Sorting a few things that the community can't, these are becoming fewer and fewer, I'm hoping that Arbcom won't exist in 2 years. The committee exists because the community lets it exist. It exists so that a few hundred thousand editors can believe that someone can sort out the fights.
I think this is literally true and realistically false and here is what I mean by that. The Arbcom makes decisions all the time (many incorrectly IMO) and the community is stuck with them, for better or worse. Regardless of what the rules say, the Arbcom does have a lot of power and often uses it when it benefits them or their POV. Because many of the decisions are controversial, the community, including me, often complains. But the decisions stand and the community doesn't have a choice. The Arbcom was created as an extension of the community and the WMF to do stuff to keep the project moving forward with community assets so the WMF doesn't have to. The community does not have the authority to disband the Arbcom and the WMF is unlikely to do so. So the community can complain all they want and as my case will show, if you complain enough about abuse and corruption, you will be banned to protect the powerful groups/clans of the project (admins, arbcom, certsain wikiprojects, etc).

So to say that the Arbcom's hands are tied is complete hogwash. The Arbcom is there to fix the problems that the community cannot and if the Arbcom were to say, (and this is only one example of many), that they no longer wanted to be the sole handler of Admin desysops, they could. That is also true of other things as well. Of course there are positives and negatives to doing anything, but its pretty obvious that several of the current systems have stopped working effectively and need to change. Regardless of what WTT "wants" to do or thinks is the right course of action is irrelvant because he is only one member of the Arbcom and there are several current members who do want the Arbcom's role to increase because that increases their power and influence over the community, which is what they care about, not the project itself.

Neotarf
Regular
Wikipedia User: Neotarf

Unread post by Neotarf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Kumioko wrote: So to say that the Arbcom's hands are tied is complete hogwash. The Arbcom is there to fix the problems that the community cannot and if the Arbcom were to say, (and this is only one example of many), that they no longer wanted to be the sole handler of Admin desysops, they could.
For instance, they could give it to Arbitration Enforcement. Now there's a thought.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Kumioko wrote: I think this is literally true and realistically false and here is what I mean by that. The Arbcom makes decisions all the time (many incorrectly IMO) and the community is stuck with them, for better or worse. Regardless of what the rules say, the Arbcom does have a lot of power and often uses it when it benefits them or their POV. Because many of the decisions are controversial, the community, including me, often complains. But the decisions stand and the community doesn't have a choice. The Arbcom was created as an extension of the community and the WMF to do stuff to keep the project moving forward with community assets so the WMF doesn't have to. The community does not have the authority to disband the Arbcom and the WMF is unlikely to do so. So the community can complain all they want and as my case will show, if you complain enough about abuse and corruption, you will be banned to protect the powerful groups/clans of the project (admins, arbcom, certsain wikiprojects, etc).

So to say that the Arbcom's hands are tied is complete hogwash. The Arbcom is there to fix the problems that the community cannot and if the Arbcom were to say, (and this is only one example of many), that they no longer wanted to be the sole handler of Admin desysops, they could. That is also true of other things as well. Of course there are positives and negatives to doing anything, but its pretty obvious that several of the current systems have stopped working effectively and need to change. Regardless of what WTT "wants" to do or thinks is the right course of action is irrelvant because he is only one member of the Arbcom and there are several current members who do want the Arbcom's role to increase because that increases their power and influence over the community, which is what they care about, not the project itself.
Of course the community has the authority to disband Arbcom. A simple vote of no confidence or well attended RfC could do it without problem. The thing is that the community as a whole doesn't want to. Time and time again arbcom gets support both in remedies and generally. As I say, the vast majority of editors just want to know there's "someone" there in case anything goes really wrong.

As for de-sysops - I fully agree that there should be a community process. The majority of recent cases Arbcom have been to do with administrators and a community process would again help move things in the right direction. I believe I was the last person to actually write an RfC on community de-sysopping - Wikipedia:Requests for Comment/Community de-adminship proof of concept (T-H-L)

The question is how to balance sufficient discussion to make the request valid with ensuring the administrator doesn't feel lynched. In other words, it directly parallels the issues with "community banning".

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:46 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Kumioko wrote: I think this is literally true and realistically false and here is what I mean by that. The Arbcom makes decisions all the time (many incorrectly IMO) and the community is stuck with them, for better or worse. Regardless of what the rules say, the Arbcom does have a lot of power and often uses it when it benefits them or their POV. Because many of the decisions are controversial, the community, including me, often complains. But the decisions stand and the community doesn't have a choice. The Arbcom was created as an extension of the community and the WMF to do stuff to keep the project moving forward with community assets so the WMF doesn't have to. The community does not have the authority to disband the Arbcom and the WMF is unlikely to do so. So the community can complain all they want and as my case will show, if you complain enough about abuse and corruption, you will be banned to protect the powerful groups/clans of the project (admins, arbcom, certsain wikiprojects, etc).

Of course the community has the authority to disband Arbcom. A simple vote of no confidence or well attended RfC could do it without problem. The thing is that the community as a whole doesn't want to. Time and time again arbcom gets support both in remedies and generally. As I say, the vast majority of editors just want to know there's "someone" there in case anything goes really wrong.

As for de-sysops - I fully agree that there should be a community process. The majority of recent cases Arbcom have been to do with administrators and a community process would again help move things in the right direction. I believe I was the last person to actually write an RfC on community de-sysopping - Wikipedia:Requests for Comment/Community de-adminship proof of concept (T-H-L)

The question is how to balance sufficient discussion to make the request valid with ensuring the administrator doesn't feel lynched. In other words, it directly parallels the issues with "community banning".
With respect, but no, a decision to disband the Arbcom can only come from the WMF. That isn't to say that a vote by the community of no confidence couldn't sway the WMF to do so, but the community itself doesn't have that power and the WMF is under no obligation to do so.

Your also right that the general community doesn't have a problem with Arbcom. In fact I would go so far as to say that the general community doesn't care about the Arbcom (or any of the other drama venues for that matter). As you mentioned there are about 130, 000 editors currently editing and less than 100 actively participate in Arbcom, ANI or the like venues. The vast majority being admins, and a number of those who are attracted to the influence it gives them over the community.

With regard to the Desysop process, it would require a 2 fold solution IMO. First it would require a community venue like RFC where it can be discussed and it would likewise require someone like the Bureaucrats to moderate it and make the final discussion in a crat chat when things get close. Some argue that the community would just desysop them or the admins would fear reprisal for doing their jobs but this is just speculation and hyperbole. If the admin is truly doing their job and putting the project first then they should have nothing to fear. If the admin is one of the group that use their tools as leverage over other editors and treats non admins abusively, and there are a number that do either or both, then they should have the tools removed. If the abusive admins see a few of their peers lose the tools then they will either leave, voluntarily turn in the tools in protest or to prevent them from being removed or get their act together (or of course suffer the repercussions).

With all that said, the RFA process needs to be changed at the same time. I have always argued that the admin tools should be relatively easy to get and relatively easy to take away. Neither should be a gauntlet as they currently are and IMO in order for either an easier RFA process or a community desysop process to work, both need to be done at the same time.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Neotarf wrote:
Kumioko wrote: So to say that the Arbcom's hands are tied is complete hogwash. The Arbcom is there to fix the problems that the community cannot and if the Arbcom were to say, (and this is only one example of many), that they no longer wanted to be the sole handler of Admin desysops, they could.
For instance, they could give it to Arbitration Enforcement. Now there's a thought.
Oh no, this is even worse. AE is nothing more than a bully board where a couple of power hungry and abusive admins hang out because they are allowed unquestioned discretion over sanctions and arb rulings. This would be worse than the status quo especially with the new discretionary sanction fast lane that the Arbcom pushed through after they banned, blocked or ignored everyone that argued against it.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Neotarf wrote: For instance, they could give it to Arbitration Enforcement Sandstein.
Fixed.
Always improving...

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Neotarf wrote: For instance, they could give it to Arbitration Enforcement Sandstein.
Fixed.
Lol, yeah that is soooo much better. :bash:

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:
Fixed.
Roy Bean (T-H-L)
Western films and books cast him as a hanging judge, though he is known to have sentenced only two men to hang, one of whom escaped.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Jim wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:
Fixed.
Roy Bean (T-H-L)
Western films and books cast him as a hanging judge, though he is known to have sentenced only two men to hang, one of whom escaped.
Yeah thats a good analogy actually, aside from the accusation of being a hanging judge old Roy Bean was more of a crook and hustler than a courtroom Judge...much like many of the frequenters of AE I might add.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:
Fixed.
I was joking :facepalm:
Always improving...

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:58 pm

turnedworm wrote:Allowing editing by randoms is so fundamental to Wikipedia's process that it's just not going to happen. You only need to be logged in, not even autoconfirmed, to create an article. Flagged revisions are not allowed. There's so much force from the foundation and the community saying they want randoms to be able to edit. As I said, to make a decent change - Wikipedia would have to be re-built from the ground up.
Speaking of editing by randoms, I said earlier today, on-wiki,
It would be a start to restrict BLP editing to editors who have demonstrated that they can edit biographies responsibly. (This could be a separate user right.) As it is, Wikipedia is throwing BLPs to the vultures to pick and fight over.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:
Fixed.
I was hoping you were.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:30 am

Kumioko wrote: With respect, but no, a decision to disband the Arbcom can only come from the WMF. That isn't to say that a vote by the community of no confidence couldn't sway the WMF to do so, but the community itself doesn't have that power and the WMF is under no obligation to do so.
Oddly, I would have thought Arbcom was one of the easiest roles for the community to get rid of. Besides the two options I mentioned above - if no candidates were elected in a single year, the committee would instantly fold. It's not a WMF tool, it's a community one.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:32 am

HRIP7 wrote:
turnedworm wrote:Allowing editing by randoms is so fundamental to Wikipedia's process that it's just not going to happen. You only need to be logged in, not even autoconfirmed, to create an article. Flagged revisions are not allowed. There's so much force from the foundation and the community saying they want randoms to be able to edit. As I said, to make a decent change - Wikipedia would have to be re-built from the ground up.
It would be a start to restrict BLP editing to editors who have demonstrated that they can edit biographies responsibly. (This could be a separate user right.) As it is, Wikipedia is throwing BLPs to the vultures to pick and fight over.
That'd certainly be a nice start. Even flagged revisions on BLPs would be a nice start!

Neotarf
Regular
Wikipedia User: Neotarf

Unread post by Neotarf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Neotarf wrote: For instance, they could give it to Arbitration Enforcement.
<snip>
If it's a joke, it's a dark one, or perhaps it's irony, based on the double standard of justice that exists for admins and non-admins, and the scenario of admins having to taste their own medicine. There's no point in singling out one particular AE admin, although there is at least one who is untouchable. The group is too small and has become dominated by groupthink, and by admins who would rather block than talk. From what I have seen, they probably would only be willing to extend their wrath to admins who do not share their communication style, while to their own kind they would extend "professional courtesy".

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:17 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Kumioko wrote: With respect, but no, a decision to disband the Arbcom can only come from the WMF. That isn't to say that a vote by the community of no confidence couldn't sway the WMF to do so, but the community itself doesn't have that power and the WMF is under no obligation to do so.
Oddly, I would have thought Arbcom was one of the easiest roles for the community to get rid of. Besides the two options I mentioned above - if no candidates were elected in a single year, the committee would instantly fold. It's not a WMF tool, it's a community one.
That is true that if no one runs it would just implode but realistically this is unlikely to happen. There are always going to be a few that are attracted to the influence it gives them over the community. They might need to lower the bar to a simple majority, but I don't think its going away any time soon.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

turnedworm wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
That'd certainly be a nice start. Even flagged revisions on BLPs would be a nice start!
Semi protection more useful