Ca$hBag
Critic
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Multiple users; proudly in violation of WP:SOCK
Wikipedia Review Member: Ca$hBag

Wikipedia article stats

Unread post by Ca$hBag » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:57 am

http://stats.grok.se/

The above links will give you traffic stats to any article you search. If this has already been shared then ignore this post.

I'm off again.

Bye

eagle
Eagle

Re: Wikipedia article stats

Unread post by eagle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:09 am

Ca$hBag wrote: If this has already been shared
Any red-blooded contributor to Did You Know... is invited to monitor how much the DYK causes the page views of the subject page to rise. So, the nominator/DYK author gets an automated notice template of the existence of this tool when the DYK item runs on the main page. Perhaps this is a tacit admission that DYK is more about SEO and the passing of Google Juice to obscure subjects than it is a service to general Main Page readers. E.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... art.C3.ADn

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:06 am

Ca$hBag wrote:http://stats.grok.se/

The above links will give you traffic stats to any article you search. If this has already been shared then ignore this post.

I'm off again.

Bye
On a similar note, I'd like to mention that the "View history" tab will enable you to see, in chronological order, which editors have modified the article in question.

So long for now!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm

thekohser wrote:

I'm off again.

Bye
On a similar note, I'd like to mention that the "View history" tab will enable you to see, in chronological order, which editors have modified the article in question.

So long for now!
There are major differences between the two. The history tab was an integral part of the website/Mediawiki design, and serves a legitimate role in building an encyclopedia. The page view count tool is outside the website design, and is rarely relevant to building a good encyclopedia. It is used by editors seeking bragging rights or perhaps by SEO guys wishing to quantify their paid achievement to their clients.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:07 pm

eagle wrote:
thekohser wrote:

I'm off again.

Bye

So long for now!
There are major differences between the two. The history tab was an integral part of the website/Mediawiki design, and serves a legitimate role in building an encyclopedia. The page view count tool is outside the website design, and is rarely relevant to building a good encyclopedia. It is used by editors seeking bragging rights or perhaps by SEO guys wishing to quantify their paid achievement to their clients.
Knowledge of page-view statistics has informed my choice of DYK hooks and attempts to have an image in the hook, because I have wanted to attract readers. The DYK hook occurs after the article is created. To simplify the task of a DYK reviewer, I sometimes moved the DYK hook to the lede; otherwise, the DYK has had no direct relation to my articles.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Whenever a comedian, most often Clownbert, mentions something, its Wikipedia article view skyrockets.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Whenever a comedian, most often Clownbert, mentions something, its Wikipedia article view skyrockets.
Are you referring to Stephen Colbert?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Whenever a comedian, most often Clownbert, mentions something, its Wikipedia article view skyrockets.
What do you expect?

86Mookie
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MookieZ
Wikipedia Review Member: MookieZ

Unread post by 86Mookie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
What do you expect?
I couldn't tell if you meant Colbert or some Dilbert character I wasn't familiar with.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm

I meant Steve Clownbert of course, the one with all that truthlessness.

Yes, I do have so much fun with those satirical misspellings.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Johnny Au wrote:I meant Steve Clownbert of course, the one with all that truthlessness.

Yes, I do have so much fun with those satirical misspellings.
They are not funny, no matter which side of the aisle they target, and especially when they are obscure.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Ca$hBag
Critic
Wikipedia User: Multiple users; proudly in violation of WP:SOCK
Wikipedia Review Member: Ca$hBag

Unread post by Ca$hBag » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 pm

thekohser wrote:

So long for now!
I'm still going through some emotional and other health problems that need mending. But miracles always take their positive tolls, even if they are simply blind chance. It happens like that to everyone.

I'll drop by whenever there's a need to share something important.

Best of wishes!

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:08 pm

We seem to have a Mystery of September 3rd brewing, regarding Wikipedia traffic. For just about every article (that I've checked) on the English Wikipedia, there was a spike in traffic on September 3, 2014. Why? The Wikimedia Foundation would likely not explain, nor would even know how to explain.

http://stats.grok.se/en/201409/Harvard_Law_School

http://stats.grok.se/en/201409/A_Few_Good_Men

http://stats.grok.se/en/201409/EE_(tele ... s_company)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't trust the grok.se stats site that much; there have been too many anomalies in the data it reports over the years for me to be confident in their data collection mechanism.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:20 pm

thekohser wrote:We seem to have a Mystery of September 3rd brewing, regarding Wikipedia traffic.
There's some sort of fluke in the data where August 28th is being added into Sept. 3. It shows up on every article Ming has checked so far.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:02 am

Ming wrote:
thekohser wrote:We seem to have a Mystery of September 3rd brewing, regarding Wikipedia traffic.
There's some sort of fluke standard Wikipedian programming competence in the data where August 28th is being added into Sept. 3. It shows up on every article Ming has checked so far.
FTFY
-----------
Notvelty

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:20 am

Ming wrote:There's some sort of fluke in the data where August 28th is being added into Sept. 3. It shows up on every article Ming has checked so far.
I love it when software malfunctions in this manner. Because when I see something like this, I have to think "what the fuck stupid thing did they do when writing this that a misoperation of this nature is even possible?" I can come up with approaches that might lead to such results, but they rely on software designs that border on Rube-Goldbergian in complexity, and I can't imagine why anyone would actually write code like that, except perhaps as a prank.

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 am

I am not sure of the specifics, but there was some sort of outage affecting whatever server handles the page view statistics. I would imagine that you're seeing a by-product of that outage.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:34 am

Scott5114 wrote:I am not sure of the specifics, but there was some sort of outage affecting whatever server handles the page view statistics. I would imagine that you're seeing a by-product of that outage.
They just didn't make the software robust against that sort of thing. It could happen to anyone, couldn't it?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Scott5114 wrote:I am not sure of the specifics, but there was some sort of outage affecting whatever server handles the page view statistics. I would imagine that you're seeing a by-product of that outage.
They just didn't make the software robust against that sort of thing. It could happen to anyone, couldn't it?
"If your input falls outside expected parameters, the result should be an error message, not an output report!"
My FORTRAN instructor, flinging a stack of 132-column fanfold paper at me.
(Spring 1974)

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone