Simon Dedeo on Wikipedia as a Game

iii
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Simon Dedeo on Wikipedia as a Game

Unread post by iii » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Full disclosure: I know Simon from my undergraduate days and am a full-throated supporter of his work. Others on this website have been concerned/critical over his employment relationship with SFI and the connections that institute may or may not have with WMF, but I myself am not.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Re: Simon Dedeo on Wikipedia as a Game

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:37 pm

iii wrote:Full disclosure: I know Simon from my undergraduate days and am a full-throated supporter of his work. Others on this website have been concerned/critical over his employment relationship with SFI and the connections that institute may or may not have with WMF, but I myself am not.
For reference, previous discussion here.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Simon Dedeo in two data points:

1. "I can no longer contribute value to a work that I feel has in a fundamental sense abandoned the principles that led me to join in. I've protected this page, and will no longer contribute to wikipedia; I encourage others to do the same." (January 2008).

2. Dedeo sfi (T-C-L)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

iii
Habitué

Unread post by iii » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:28 pm

thekohser wrote:Simon Dedeo in two data points:

1. "I can no longer contribute value to a work that I feel has in a fundamental sense abandoned the principles that led me to join in. I've protected this page, and will no longer contribute to wikipedia; I encourage others to do the same." (January 2008).

2. Dedeo sfi (T-C-L)
Yep, people do change their relationship with Wikipedia. I certainly have over the years.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm

iii wrote:

2. Dedeo sfi (T-C-L)
Yep, people do change their relationship with Wikipedia. I certainly have over the years.
Yes, the "remarkable freedom" enabled by a cash fellowship from an organization that "sees great potential in Wikipedia as it continues to expand in emerging geographies" could certainly help influence one to change their relationship with Wikipedia. I agree.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

iii
Habitué

Unread post by iii » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:12 pm

thekohser wrote:
iii wrote:

2. Dedeo sfi (T-C-L)
Yes, the "remarkable freedom" enabled by a cash fellowship from an organization that "sees great potential in Wikipedia as it continues to expand in emerging geographies" could certainly help influence one to change their relationship with Wikipedia. I agree.
I've read your insinuation of astroturfing before, but do not find your evidence convincing. Do you really think Omyidar is micromanaging fellows to follow the other interests of the foundation? Would we be justified in being suspicious that every MacArthur Fellow is secretly trying to advance the MacArthur Foundation's other activities?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:24 pm

iii wrote:I've read your insinuation of astroturfing before, but do not find your evidence convincing.
I accept that I have not convinced you. I understand that others here are similarly convinced as I am, while I'm sure there are some who share your views.