PR article - Tim Rice

roger_pearse
Regular
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Roger Pearse

PR article - Tim Rice

Unread post by roger_pearse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:19 pm

If you want to see an article that *must* have been written for self-promotional purposes, take a look at the article on Tim Rice. The wretched thing reads like a CV!

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Re: PR article - Tim Rice

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:38 pm

One interesting dynamic is that Wikipedia biographies that start out somewhat positive, especially when created in blithe ignorance of Wikipedia's nature by the subject themselves, over time often turn into hatchet jobs, as Wikipedians' ire at seeing their project "abused for self-promotion" combines with jealousy of those more accomplished than they are, and a recognition that on Wikipedia, they have the power to stick it to the biography subject.

One of the most pernicious aspects of Wikipedia. (See Wikipedia:Hazing (T-H-L) and Wikipedia:Notable_person_survival_kit (T-H-L), two essays I wrote when I still had more Kool-Aid in my system.)

I suspect this was a psychological factor in the current Yank Barry controversy.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:40 am

roger_pearse wrote:If you want to see an article that *must* have been written for self-promotional purposes, take a look at the article on Tim Rice. The wretched thing reads like a CV!
Tim Rice (T-H-L)
Hmm, I would call this a typical fan's monument, except for the unusual history. Major edits were performed by seemingly-random IP addresses. I smell professional paid editing, at least a whiff.

sparkzilla
Retired
Wikipedia User: sparkzilla
Wikipedia Review Member: sparkzilla
Actual Name: Mark Devlin

Unread post by sparkzilla » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:46 am

Don't cry for me Wikipedia
Founder: Newslines