kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Neutral editors who have left the project

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Picking another article at random, in this case Andragogy

.....you seem to have been erased from the edit history altogether except for a mention in an edit summary here by user Justlettersandnumbers (T-C-L) : link
"(Reverted to revision 478685788 by Misslisamartinez: Restore last clean version before copyright-violating additions by [[User:Stmullin and associated IPs (see talk); some subsequent edits will need to be redone. ([[WP:TW|TW]]))"
While it is technically correct to "revision delete" copyright violations to hide the offending material from all past versions in the history, something seems amiss here not having a record of the original edits even existing.

I have no way to assess whether this was or was not a copyright violation. Maybe a WP Administrator can look into this.

RfB

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:...you appear to be the editor Stmullin (T-C-L)
Well, yes, that's what her profile here says.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm

STlombardi wrote:The articles and photos were either reverted or deleted even though appropriate forms were completed and WP: Consent provided. I completed the forms numerous times for several images, including one of myself for teahouse . . . yet that too was deleted.

The discussion here is Why Neutral editors have left the project and the evidence I've provided should give a clue as to why people would leave. I'm not asking for an investigation . . . only offering information about how relationships get destroyed.
Oh, I understand full well how obnoxious photo rights people (are there any other kind, I wonder?) are the cause of much "biting of newcomers" and the loss of many editors.

The problems are twofold: (1) The structural defect of "Free Use, Not Fair Use" as a fundamental principle and the dominance of a chattering, nattering coterie of fanatics intent on enforcing this defective policy brutally and quickly; (2) The highly confusing system for photo uploads and photo rights templating at Wikipedia.

It's truly the encyclopedia that anybody can edit, but one that only masters of the dark arts of policy and procedure probably should...

RfB
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm

tarantino wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:...you appear to be the editor Stmullin (T-C-L)
Well, yes, that's what her profile here says.
Sorry, missed it.

t

STlombardi
Contributor
Wikipedia User: stmullin
Actual Name: Shirley Lombardi

Unread post by STlombardi » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm

My concerns are:

1. Copyright is the privilege of the author and censoring the author's work is not an appropriate thing to do . . . conflation of the terms copyright and censorship.

2. A productive educational environment is based on correction not punishment . . . conflation of the terms correction and punishment.

3. ESL admin on Wikipedia who do not understand the basis for United States copyright laws which provide for Freedom of Speech [among many other aspects of US culture] . . . including nurturing acquisition of knowledge for all ages . . . conflation of term education with school.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 pm

STlombardi wrote:My concerns are:

1. Copyright is the privilege of the author and censoring the author's work is not an appropriate thing to do . . . conflation of the terms copyright and censorship.

2. A productive educational environment is based on correction not punishment . . . conflation of the terms correction and punishment.

3. ESL admin on Wikipedia who do not understand the basis for United States copyright laws which provide for Freedom of Speech [among many other aspects of US culture] . . . including nurturing acquisition of knowledge for all ages . . . conflation of term education with school.

I'm not following point 1. Are you saying that you pasted in a direct quotation of an author's work, with permission, and that it is not appropriate to instead paraphrase that content? (Not being able to see the material deleted, I am only guessing...)

Theoretically, a copy violation (after being cleaned out) is supposed to be followed with a warning, not something punitive. A series of similar types of edits might draw a fast block...

Freedom of speech and US copyright law has very little to do with WP. In general, Wikipedia's view of copyright is more restrictive than the "fair use" allowed under copyright law — particularly in the case of photographs. As for freedom of speech, it being a private website, there really is none. So-called "legal threats" meet with immediate blocks, for example.

I'm not cheering for the way things are — I personally wish WP would push "fair use" to its legal limits — only trying to explain the situation as I understand it.

tim

STlombardi
Contributor

Unread post by STlombardi » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 pm

I am saying that US copyright law is cited as the basis for Wikipedia policy yet censorship is what actually occurred as evidenced by you not finding the original text. Correct citations were provided, WP: Consent was also provided [which does allow for fair use]. If WP: Consent is no longer applicable then that choice needs to be removed from the policies. Also, a reasonable standard of care under US law, the cited basis for policy, allows for correction as both Greg Bard and I agreed to do. If US law is not the basis, if censorship and punishment are the true modus operendi . . . then that needs to be made clear by removing references to US law as well as removing the 5th pillar from Wikipedia standards . . . both US law and Wikipedia standards were violated in my case and I strongly suspect in Greg's case as well. Again, the topic here is why Neutral editors leave . . . what better cases than the cases of User: stmullin and User:Gregbard to illustrate why some editors would be unwilling to subject them selves to further abuse.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 pm

STlombardi wrote:I am saying that US copyright law is cited as the basis for Wikipedia policy yet censorship is what actually occurred as evidenced by you not finding the original text.
Well, that's a coin with two sides. I was involved in a very extensive Contributor Copyright Investigation case (not against me) a year or two ago and have pretty much learned how the WRITTEN WORD copyright people think. Their interpretation of the law is this: if a copyright violation is made, the best practice is for that material not only to be removed from the version of the article showing to the public, but also retroactively from all previous versions, to prevent either its accidental or intentional reinsertion or to prevent a possible case from being made that the infraction of the law is not really "deleted" unless it is completely and totally annihilated from public view, even in past versions.

Now, is this best practice always followed? No. But what took place in the situation of this one particular article is not "censorship"; it is, rather, the interpretation of a copyright investigation volunteer of how best ethically to proceed against what they felt to be an unambiguous copyright violation.

You say it was no such thing. That could be, I have no way to see the text and offer my opinion. That is the drawback of copyright people wiping this sort of material off the map — only administrators can see the removed material, not "common" editors.

This is the entire fact that caused me to run for election as an administrator in conjunction with the aforementioned CCI case (an attempt which failed, incidentally) — so that I could read deleted material associated with the case in which I had become an interested advocate.

There is no perfect answer to the situation — but that is what is going on in this particular case.
Correct citations were provided, WP: Consent was also provided [which does allow for fair use]. If WP: Consent is no longer applicable then that choice needs to be removed from the policies.
Again, I can't see what was removed and can't offer an opinion here. I hear ya, but apparently the copyright investigation person was not convinced of this.
Also, a reasonable standard of care under US law, the cited basis for policy, allows for correction as both Greg Bard and I agreed to do. If US law is not the basis, if censorship and punishment are the true modus operendi . . . then that needs to be made clear by removing references to US law as well as removing the 5th pillar from Wikipedia standards . . . both US law and Wikipedia standards were violated in my case and I strongly suspect in Greg's case as well.
Again, the expansive limits of American copyright law is not what guides Wikipedia copyright volunteers, it is the more narrow copyright restrictions of the site. It's very possible that somebody missed the fact that the material was there by permission. It is more likely that they regarded this material as "fair use" content rather than "free use" content and wiped it out on that basis.

I agree that the happy, smiley "Anybody Can Contribute" slogan is a poor reflection of reality. You seem to have run afoul of poorly documented Standard Operating Procedure.
Again, the topic here is why Neutral editors leave . . . what better cases than the cases of User: stmullin and User:Gregbard to illustrate why some editors would be unwilling to subject them selves to further abuse.
On this we agree — slavish adherence to rules, poor communication, and quick use of blocking mechanisms drives away useful contributors. It's a problem that needs to be fixed.

tim

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm

My personal problem with the copyright cadre is that sometimes they will even delete clearly acceptable content just because the uploader neglected to jump through one of their many hoops. I am bad about putting the copyright information in the file description—usually in the form of the string "CC-BY-SA 3.0" or "public domain", both of which are clearly identifiable as one of the acceptable licenses on Commons—but forgetting to put the stupid template on. Then I get to have the copyright hounds baying at me in their templated cries, for committing the crimes of Uploading Something Unacceptable And Probably Evil Too, as well as (of course!) Violating Policy.

The last time I had this happen I decided to engage the copyright stooge in conversation, telling them to, y'know, look at what they're talking about, and was told that this takes too much work. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_ ... ay_shields

One only wonders how much usable content has been deleted from Wikipedia and Commons over the years due to this sort of stupidity.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am

A few of my early uploads were deleted before I understood the subtleties.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Add

Boing! said Zebedee (T-C-L)

to the list of neutral editors who have left Wikipedia.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Scott5114 wrote:My personal problem with the copyright cadre is that sometimes they will even delete clearly acceptable content just because the uploader neglected to jump through one of their many hoops. I am bad about putting the copyright information in the file description—usually in the form of the string "CC-BY-SA 3.0" or "public domain", both of which are clearly identifiable as one of the acceptable licenses on Commons—but forgetting to put the stupid template on. Then I get to have the copyright hounds baying at me in their templated cries, for committing the crimes of Uploading Something Unacceptable And Probably Evil Too, as well as (of course!) Violating Policy.
I've also several times had to go back to Commons uploads and mess around with license templates, not because I forgot to add them or did it wrongly in the first place, but because the whole system had been changed yet again, meaning that my correctly-tagged uploads were now "incorrect" and liable to be deleted! It's always amateur o'clock when it comes to maintenance on Commons.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Poetlister wrote:A few of my early uploads were deleted before I understood the subtleties.
Not enough garnish on the sandwiches?

STlombardi
Contributor

Unread post by STlombardi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Is there a common thread for the copyvio bungling . . . such as philosophy?

STlombardi
Contributor

Unread post by STlombardi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 pm

STlombardi wrote:The articles and photos were either reverted or deleted even though appropriate forms were completed and WP: Consent provided. I completed the forms numerous times for several images, including one of myself for teahouse . . . yet that too was deleted.

The discussion here is Why Neutral editors have left the project and the evidence I've provided should give a clue as to why people would leave. I'm not asking for an investigation . . . only offering information about how relationships get destroyed.
:grouphug:

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 am

Fonzy (T-C-L)
retirement from Wikipedia[edit]
I am annoucing my retirement from Wikipedia. I am not going to edit "Wikipedia" as much as I used to. Its mainly because of the way I am, I don't like change much (which some will probably know or guess why). I prefered Wikipedia more when it was smaller and I felt part of a small community, now Wikipedia has got bigger (which is great) but I dont feel as useful, or as important, I just feel like part of a mob.

I will help out now and thenwith the sister projects but I will not finish of the Eurovision project which in the main part as soley been mostly my work. Thsi is ebcuase its too much work for one person to do. But I have cretad a good template I belive to be followed or improved on.

You can still contact me via my talks page if you have any questions. Or I might be on IRC sometimes.

Fonzy.
In the several years since leaving the project, his user page has been repeatedly the target of vandalism, often of the 'is gay' variety, but also the 'boo hoo' variety, apparently from logged out Wikipedians. After going over his talk page, it looks like Mav (T-C-L) left in July.
SEMI-RETIRED
This user is no longer very active on Wikipedia.
I have learned so much editing and writing for Wikipedia and had a lot of fun along the way, but I've had increasingly less time for Wikipedia over the last several years. Instead, I've been focusing my free time doing mapping for the Georgia State Defense Force (a volunteer part of the Georgia Department of Defense (GADOD)), and updating OpenStreetMap.org using GPS traces I create during hikes and mountain bike rides, which feeds back into the mapping. If I had time, I would also be editing Wikipedia at least about the parks I'm GPSing in and articles related to the GADOD. I still check my talk page and plan to come back someday, at least in short bursts for specific things. -- Daniel Mayer (aka mav) 17:10, 22 July 2014 (UTC)
In fact, looking over User talk:Fonzy (T-H-L), a good chunk of the editors at the top are now retired, inactive, or banned.

(edited)

everyking
Critic
Wikipedia User: Everyking
Wikipedia Review Member: Everyking

Unread post by everyking » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:32 am

It was amusing for me just now to look back on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... /Everyking from January 2005 and see that virtually everyone who contributed to that ridiculous distortion of events is gone (some inactive/retired, some banned). And good riddance, frankly.

Particularly funny was this part: "Everyking's taken on more than half a dozen sysops, two mediators who are now arbitrators, and several more editors. Such gross inconsideration of community consensus should not and cannot be tolerated. And another thing: This sets a terrifying precedent. If Everyking can bully people into submission here, someone with the same attitude can do the same elsewhere. Everyking's done a terrific job of gaming the system by not obviously breaking any rules. And we're a hundred times smaller than MSN right now, as UninvitedCompany has pointed out. When we grow that big, we'll have a hundred Everykings."

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 pm

everyking wrote:...virtually everyone who contributed to that ridiculous distortion of events is gone (some inactive/retired, some banned). And good riddance, frankly.
Or, using different accounts.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm

everyking wrote:It was amusing for me just now to look back on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... /Everyking from January 2005 and see that virtually everyone who contributed to that ridiculous distortion of events is gone (some inactive/retired, some banned). And good riddance, frankly.
Yes, this is a point I've made myself here recently... try going to Wikipedia:List of banned users (T-H-L), and look at the linked discussions for early community bans. In most cases, the majority are gone, many having been banned themselves. The similarities to Stalinist Russia never end.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

STlombardi
Contributor

Unread post by STlombardi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:08 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Picking another article at random, in this case Andragogy

.....you seem to have been erased from the edit history altogether except for a mention in an edit summary here by user Justlettersandnumbers (T-C-L) : linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =605270608[/link]
"(Reverted to revision 478685788 by Misslisamartinez: Restore last clean version before copyright-violating additions by [[User:Stmullin and associated IPs (see talk); some subsequent edits will need to be redone. ([[WP:TW|TW]]))"
While it is technically correct to "revision delete" copyright violations to hide the offending material from all past versions in the history, something seems amiss here not having a record of the original edits even existing.

I have no way to assess whether this was or was not a copyright violation. Maybe a WP Administrator can look into this.

RfB

Justlettersandnumbers (T-C-L) seems to have had a lot of her own mistakes ''disappear.'' There were multiple complaints about her inappropriate redirects and deletion of articles that had no copyright violations yet those complaints are now hidden . . . stange, strange, strange . . .