Media Viewer - A new hope

We examine the less than successful stories of the Wikimedia Foundation to create and use technology. The poster boy for this forum is Visual Editor.
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Media Viewer - A new hope

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 pm

A chance for WMF engineering to really show their chops.
Build a great tool that replaces a difficult task and everyone fauns over them like software rockstars.

No, not really.
From Jimbo's talk page...
Appeal to rethink the Media Viewer's implementation

Today I've started to see the Media Viewer pop up on Wikipedia after being used on the Wikimedia Commons. If you go to the talk page for the tool, you'll see a lot of people point out the incredible harm it is doing and will do to the site. Frankly, the Media Viewer is removing and dumbing down years worth of content and making it inaccessible for most people, all in some effort to appeal to the lowest common denominator and mimic some of today's fleetingly popular designs and styles. This is not a tool for an educational website or resource like Wikimedia. We should not be trying to be Flickr. We are first and foremost a site for knowledge.

Please read the talk page and see how it harms GLAM and pushes away content creators. This is an extremely important issue, because we stand to lose years of content to it. -- Evan-Amos (talk) 00:29, 4 June 2014 (UTC)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Mul ... dia_Viewer
It's bad. It's as bad as VisualEdsel or AuntFlow.

Opt-out (of course)
Can't opt out as an IP editor - user preferences required
Makes the task harder with the tool than it was without
Lack of understanding about how media is used
Virtually everyone hates it - they really don't care
Slow - like all WMF tools
Unintuitive interface - SURPRISE!!!

Refusal to roll it back - we need those engineering jobs!

Just when VE was slowing down, a new contender steps up to take its place!

:popcorn:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Re: Media Viewer - A new hope

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:21 pm

On the plus side, it's pissing off Fae!
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Mul ... es_at_risk
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Right-mouse-button click 'view image', gives a scaled image instead of the original commons file. The commenter is right, it's designed for eye candy instead of academic use. Needs a zoom and pan feature. The browser zoom function (ctrl+scroll wheel) is compromised when using MediaViewer (text keeps enlarging, eventually causing the image to shrink). The first few times I tried it there was a link to the Commons file page, then it disappeared. Now I have to go to the "use this file" icon on the right and copy/past the link to commons???? Or maybe the link to commons was only working the About MediaViewer page but not on en, not sure.

:frustrated:
Last edited by TungstenCarbide on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:33 pm

WMF's aversion to using a licensed format is ludicrous. Playing videos on WP is damned near impossible for no good reason.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:44 pm

AHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHA
A usability disaster

Whoever came up with this abomination has no idea what they are doing.

Images with white or transparent background look horrible in this. I did not even realize that those were categories below the upload date. What is it with the useless bumping, fading and sliding in of white boxes with giant fonts? And why does the "Learn more" link look like it is in a search box?

I have seen countless improvements on the web over the last 17 years (especially on Wikipedia), and this is definitely not one of them. Wikipedia is not a slideshow.

-- 79.253.58.136 16:23, 4 June 2014 (UTC)

PS: The fact that the spreadsheet of the survey is hosted on Google Docs, the survey itself on Surveymonkey and the feature list on Thoughtworks speaks volumes. There is even a "Share on Twitter" feature in the foundation's Multimedia Vision 2016. Seriously, if that is your vision of where Wikipedia should be heading, then you guys are f'ing this up, and you need to stop.

PPS: Off to writing a browser extension that disables Media Viewer by default.
I'll bet the planned browser extension is more popular than Media Viewer by an order of magnitude.

WMF Engineering - finding new things to fuck up!

Clipperton
Contributor

Unread post by Clipperton » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Just another thing that 'power users' turn off in preferences. (At least they finally gave that option from the start!)

The use case on Commons and WP is different but it's not reflected in the software. On Wikipedia you click on an image and can then scroll through any other images in the article with the arrows (is this conceptually obvious in advance? -- not to me), but the associated image caption doesn't show, without which it doesn't serve the encylopedic enterprise.

The viewer takes the user into a 'black zone' where there is no branding and no sense of being on Wikipedia any more. This is part of the general trend with all their recent UI development of ruining a consistent look and feel (such as it is), in turn stemming from mobile-focused development backported onto the main site. Why not display the image browser modally/'on top' of the article like most sites do, and have it so that a single <-Back action returns you to the article no matter how many more images have been viewed with the arrows.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm

On the English wikipedia it doesn't give a convenient link to the image file if the image is on commons. But it gives all kinds of other stupid worthless links. :bored:

Why does someone reading an encyclopedia article click on an image (not a wikipedia editor, not a WMF programmer, but the customer)? Most likely to examine the image in more detail, I think. Depending on the image, MediaViewer makes this more difficult instead of easier. To start with, you don't always get a convenient link back to the image file. Next, it downsamples the image (if it's larger than your viewing space) while also crippling your browser's native zoom and pan function.

At the very least Media Viewer should serve up the full resolution image if you click on it (one click to pull up Media Viewer, another click to load full resolution). And then allow your browser's native zoom and pan functions to work. At the very least.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:15 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:On the English wikipedia it doesn't give a convenient link to the image file if the image is on commons. But it gives all kinds of other stupid worthless links. :bored:

Why does someone reading an encyclopedia article click on an image (not a wikipedia editor, not a WMF programmer, but the customer)? Most likely to examine the image in more detail, I think. Depending on the image, MediaViewer makes this more difficult instead of easier. To start with, you don't always get a convenient link back to the image file. Next, it downsamples the image (if it's larger than your viewing space) while also crippling your browser's native zoom and pan function.

At the very least Media Viewer should serve up the full resolution image if you click on it (one click to pull up Media Viewer, another click to load full resolution). And then allow your browser's native zoom and pan functions to work. At the very least.
There used to be only a tiny Commons logo in the upper right corner that served as a link to the file on Commons. Now it seems there is an added tab that does the same thing, but in a more intuitive way:

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:WMF's aversion to using a licensed format is ludicrous.
Treason! Heresy!! Not Of The Body!!! Not Of The Body!!!!

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 pm

mac wrote: There used to be only a tiny Commons logo in the upper right corner that served as a link to the file on Commons. Now it seems there is an added tab that does the same thing, but in a more intuitive way:
Yes, the small logo, and a large bar under the image with a link to the Commons file:
While I'm commenting I need to say the media viewer is very annoying for me. I click on images when I want to get to the file, not to enlarge it.
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Peryglus wrote:
mac wrote: There used to be only a tiny Commons logo in the upper right corner that served as a link to the file on Commons. Now it seems there is an added tab that does the same thing, but in a more intuitive way:
Yes, the small logo, and a large bar under the image with a link to the Commons file:
While I'm commenting I need to say the media viewer is very annoying for me. I click on images when I want to get to the file, not to enlarge it.
For still graphics, it seems to work pretty well. It takes two clicks to get to the file info instead of one, but most people are going to click to get a better look at the file itself. It think it's an improvement, personally.

tim
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:It think it's an improvement, personally.

tim
From reading the comments, you are virtually alone in that assessment.
Regardless, the question remains, "Was anyone asking for this or was this WMF engineering trying to find something to spend money on?"

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Here's the answer

Hello Gwillhickers: thanks for your candid questions about the rationale for the Media Viewer and long term goals for this tool. I will respond to these questions one at a time.

This new tool was developed to support these goals:

Provide a richer multimedia experience, to match user expectations
Display images in larger size, on the same page where you click
Reduce confusion when users click on thumbnails

Up until now, viewing images on Wikimedia sites was a frustrating experience for casual users: when they clicked on a thumbnail in an article, they were taken to a separate page where the image was shown in medium size and surrounded with a lot of text information that was confusing to readers. That page was a duplicate of the file description page on Wikimedia Commons and couldn't be edited: you had to click one more time to go edit file information on Commons. When users landed on Commons, they had no idea where they were or how they got there (see diagram to the right). To be frank, it was a pretty bad user experience, by modern design standards.

To address these issues, Media Viewer now displays images in larger size when you click on their thumbnails, as an overlay on the current page. To reduce visual clutter, all information is shown below the image, and can be expanded at a click of a button, with prominent links to other details. Usability studies suggest that Media Viewer provides a more immersive multimedia experience, right where people expect it. They tell us they can see the images more clearly, without having to jump to separate pages -- and that the interface is more intuitive, offering easy access to images and key data.

To answer your second question, we plan to keep Media Viewer enabled as the default viewer going forward, based on overwhelming user response. It has been tested extensively around the world, and the feedback collected from over ten thousand users suggests that this tool is useful to 70% of them, as outlined in these survey results. Moreover, the rate of favorable feedback keeps increasing across all languages over time. In the past six months, tens of thousands of beta users tested the tool extensively since it was introduced as a beta feature in November 2013 -- and their feedback was used regularly to improve the tool. Based on these findings, Media Viewer is now being enabled on all wikis, as described in this release plan.

Last but not least, Media Viewer is strategically important for implementing the three-year multimedia vision that guides our work. Besides improving the viewing experience, this tool will needed to provide a range of other contribution, curation and editing features over time (such as the 'thanks' tool shown in the thumbnail to the right). I hope this answers your questions. Thanks again for contacting us about this project. Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 07:47, 5 June 2014 (UTC
And the response
Being fair to everyone

@Fabrice Florin (WMF), Keegan (WMF): : Mr. Florin, thanks for taking the time and answering my questions above: I'm finding it a little difficult to accept this 70% approval figure, as the overwhelming response among English Wikipedia editors and others is that this thing is frivolous, frustrating and not needed, or wanted. On that note, making this viewer the default viewer is sort of like a kick in the teeth in terms of our wants and interests. I would suggest that when this viewer comes into view that a banner asking Disable? [y/n] be presented (with a check box for 'Never ask this question again?') If after a trial period it is found that most users have disabled this viewer, it should no longer be the default viewer, but rather a choice. I'm not understanding why it wasn't presented as a choice to begin with. This would be fair to everyone. As it is, the media viewer still needs a lot of work and I'm still wondering how the viewer was "tested extensively around the world" and still got 70% approval. This finding is not at all consistent with all its faults and the overwhelming disapproval its received on English Wikipedia/Commons. Are you locked in with some sort of contract and have given a large down payment to a software developer and there's no turning back now? In the face of all this disapproval and the fact that you're going ahead with this viewer, anyway, would seem to support that premise. If you can render this new viewer where we can readily view an image in its fullest resolution, with all the categories, other versions, description information, viewable and able to be edited, then you at least will not get my disapproval, and I'm sure that of most other editors. All the best. -- Gwillhickers (talk) 16:32, 5 June 2014 (UTC)
Does anyone really think that they did a survey and got an overwhelming answer "the problem with wikipedia is that we need to view pictures differently!" ?

Does anyone think that they are above skewing results to justify continued development even in the face of overwhelming opposition?

It's just like VisualEdsel and AuntFlow..."We hear you but we will never, ever deviate from our previously established plan."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:21 pm

I think the change, which allows a casual user clicking on a thumbnail to instantly see a larger image in one click rather than two clicks, is more beneficial to more people than the old system. Now those of us seeking file information have to make two clicks instead of one — but that's not difficult.

Of course they came up with the "problem" and its "solution" themselves, but this time they've actually done something positive, in my view.

This doesn't change my view of how WMF/Commons handles video and sound, which is a joke.

RfB

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:23 am

I've found how to get to the description page from Media Viewer now. It's not a very obvious link!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Here we go.

Another shitstorm of the WMF's own doing.
Excellent work...dumbasses.
Bugreport: Up/down arrow keys

Hello. Please report this bug to the appropriate bugtracker so that the developers can fix it as soon as possible. Here’s the bug report:

Steps to reproduce: With MediaViewer active, press Alt-Up.
Expected behaviour: Nothing.
Actual behaviour: The same as Up.

More comments: This suggests to me that the keydown handler simply forgets to check for the modifier keys. Please fix this so that it will only respond to Up/Down, but not Alt/Ctrl/Shift/etc.-Up/Down. The reason this is important is because some browser add-ons use Alt-Up and Alt-Down as shortcuts for their features, and MediaViewer swallows that.

Thanks! Timwi (talk) 10:15, 7 June 2014 (UTC)
:picard:
Can we please let the browser and OS handle the way we look at images?

If I use my Moto X or iPhone to view an image, pinch-zoom only works to a very small degree until I go to a high-res image. This is irksome, but I can deal with it. As I move up in screen size to an iPad or a laptop, I wind up boxing with the user interface.

If I try to zoom in and pan on an image, the metadata pane slides up over it, blocking my view. In some cases, a last modified pane shows up over the top portion of the image. It's unclear how or why this shows up.

Different window elements move at different rates relative to scrolling. While this is visually interesting and amusing for the first second and a half, it ends up being obtrusive for every moment after. I'm viewing an image. Scroll, pan, and zoom actions should scroll, pan, and zoom <Phil Plait noise> THE IMAGE, right? Not the random UI elements around it. I had to go on a hunting expedition, and was totally surprised to find the "use this image" button was really a popup menu that would lead me to a link ("Preview in browser"). After all, it looks almost exactly like the OS X / iOS Share Button, which has absolutely nothing to do with viewing images.

What's your use case here? Do you really have millions of users more interested in downloading the image (GIANT GREEN BUTTON) than, oh, I dunno, viewing the image in a browser (tiny blue link)? Are users really more interested in using their scroll feature to view metadata, rather than, say, scrolling the image?

Please, in the name of all this is good and holy, remove this terrible ZOMG WEB TWO POINT OH EVERYTHING HAS TO BE SHINY AND MOVE AROUND crap.
Media Viewer attribution problem

If I contacted a third party flickr owner to get an image freely licensed...and that third party cannot even see himself attributed in the picture due to Media Viewer, he/she will slam the door on licensing any future images freely, I would think. People take attribution very seriously and Media Viewer just takes away all attribution. Most people won't bother to click a button or link. They will just feel lied to--all because of this new feature. If Full attribution information is not given on Media Viewer, this application won't help Wikipedia users trying to get images freely licensed at all sadly. Didn't anyone think about including all attribution information with a larger picture that Media Viewer shows? I am a reviewer on Wikicommons and I think this new feature will hurt the Wikicommons project to get images licensed freely. There is no description data displayed for the images either...and this is supposed to be an improvement? That's just my personal view. Best Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 09:11, 7 June 2014 (UTC)
Dumbed-down is not the way to go

Please drop this new dumbed-down information-less image viewer. People actually go to WP for information, that's what an encyclopedia is for. When I click on an image, I do so because I want information about the image, and I want to see it larger. I used to get just that: information about the image, and several sizes to choose from including the full native size. Now I barely get any information and no metadata, not even basics like the picture's size, and I get just one size which is not the full size, and no zoom. What are you guys at Wikimedia thinking? First the editor disaster, then the font disaster, now this... Jim Wales: I think it's time for some heads to roll... WinTakeAll (talk)
You're doing a helluva job, Brownie!
Hi Seraphimblade: Thanks for suggesting that first-time users be given the option to disable Media Viewer. We considered the idea of a first-time guider showing how to use or disable the tool -- but it didn't seem needed at the time, given that Media Viewer was so favorably received in our first pilots (e.g. French, Portuguese, Spanish Wikipedias -- where a majority of survey respondents give the tool high marks). But I agree with you that this type of guider could have been useful for the English Wikipedia release -- and we will keep it in mind for future roll-outs. I'm sorry if we come across as 'smug' and 'nonresponsive': we care deeply about our users and have engaged community members as partners on this project since its inception, through a series of discussions, beta programs and surveys. And our team has responded to most comments on this page, in good faith, with as much information as we could provide. Just like you, we aim to make Wikipedia better for our users: our goal is to modernize our aging software infrastructure, and make it more inviting to the many new users we need to grow our community. We would be grateful for your support to help reach that goal in coming years: there is much work to be done to catch up with user expectations. We may not always get it right the first time, but we're committed to improving the tools incrementally, based on community feedback. Thanks for your understanding. Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 07:03, 7 June 2014 (UTC)
Totally NOT smug and condescending!
We are listening to you very carefully aand will do whatever it was we were going to do before we started listening to you very carefully...are you done talking yet so we can stop listening very carefully to you? We have to finish what we were doing before we were told we had to listen to you very carefully.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:31 am

I see sentiment running about 15-1 against the new mediaviewer.

Doesn't it make you just the slightest suspicious about the 70% acceptance rate bandied about all over the place?

What IS the punishment for engineers who falsify market data to fraudulently justify continuing to work on their pet project with donated dollars??

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 am

Vigilant wrote:I see sentiment running about 15-1 against the new mediaviewer.

Doesn't it make you just the slightest suspicious about the 70% acceptance rate bandied about all over the place?

What IS the punishment for engineers who falsify market data to fraudulently justify continuing to work on their pet project with donated dollars??
Under the previous regime? Another pet project. We'll see how the Purple Unicorn handles this.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:47 am

Peryglus wrote:I've found how to get to the description page from Media Viewer now. It's not a very obvious link!
How? (I was trying to point people to the talk page of a file yesterday but couldn't find it - ended up pointing them to an article talk page instead).

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Wow. Just look at how fast the bad feedback is piling up since Media Viewer [sic] was enabled for the English and German Wikipedias on June 3. It's going to be enabled globally three days from now. Brace yourselves.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Hex wrote:Wow. Just look at how fast the bad feedback is piling up since Media Viewer [sic] was enabled for the English and German Wikipedias on June 3. It's going to be enabled globally three days from now. Brace yourselves.
I just LOVE how every negative comment gets responded to with "but 70% of our surveyed group loved it" as if there's something grossly wrong with the person making the complaint.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:
Peryglus wrote:I've found how to get to the description page from Media Viewer now. It's not a very obvious link!
How? (I was trying to point people to the talk page of a file yesterday but couldn't find it - ended up pointing them to an article talk page instead).
The link is indicated by a logo at the extreme right end of the bar at the bottom of the image in the media viewer. The logo is a small copy of that of the project which houses the image—that of Commons if the image is on Commons, or that of Wikipedia if it's only on Wikipedia. When you mouse over the logo a dialogue box pops up containing either the text "More details on Wikimedia Commons", or simply "More details". If you click on the logo the description page will be loaded into your browser.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Hex wrote:Wow. Just look at how fast the bad feedback is piling up since Media Viewer [sic] was enabled for the English and German Wikipedias on June 3. It's going to be enabled globally three days from now. Brace yourselves.
I just LOVE how every negative comment gets responded to with "but 70% of our surveyed group loved it" as if there's something grossly wrong with the person making the complaint.
This sort of thing is symptomatic of a failed product deployment, specifically that no effort has been made to identify stakeholders within the community, let alone seek buy-in, and anyone with any experience in application support knows that this is an absolute recipe for failure. Then again, I don't think the WMF has anyone on its engineering team whose duties resemble "customer support"; their idea of customer support seems to be "berate the customer for not recognizing the awesomeness of the product".

I suspect the problem with their UAT process is that their test group is drawn from WMF employees rather than from actual end users. If your UAT process uses testers who aren't representative "users", you won't actually know if your users will accept the product, and especially if the test group feels pressured to accept the product.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
This sort of thing is symptomatic of a failed product deployment, specifically that no effort has been made to identify stakeholders within the community, let alone seek buy-in, and anyone with any experience in application support knows that this is an absolute recipe for failure. Then again, I don't think the WMF has anyone on its engineering team whose duties resemble "customer support"; their idea of customer support seems to be "berate the customer for not recognizing the awesomeness of the product".

I suspect the problem with their UAT process is that their test group is drawn from WMF employees rather than from actual end users. If your UAT process uses testers who aren't representative "users", you won't actually know if your users will accept the product, and especially if the test group feels pressured to accept the product.
The cynic in me begins to wonder if they have exactly 10 in their overall sample group of WMF employees and 3 of them still told them it was shit.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:27 pm

There's a user-started RfC now. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of commenters are calling for Media Viewer to be disabled by default for everyone.

And at the end, this:
Fabrice Florin (WMF) wrote: Hi folks: Thanks for all your helpful feedback about Media Viewer in recent days. We really appreciate your candid recommendations — and survey comments confirm many of the issues you have raised on this page. The multimedia team is taking your feedback to heart, and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this tool. To respond quickly to the most frequent requests, we have pushed back all other projects to focus on Media Viewer for the next few weeks. We are now developing a number of new features for you, and aim to get them completed by tomorrow, so we can test them before releasing them to production. If all goes well, we expect to deploy some of them to the English Wikipedia by Thursday evening. The rest of them will be deployed the following week. Please check the new feature list and let us know what you think on this discussion page. Thanks again for your constructive suggestions. We look forward to improving Media Viewer together. Be well. Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 01:08, 11 June 2014 (UTC)
Yes, they've fucked it up so badly that they're now in firefighting mode at the expense of other projects. Hands up anyone who's surprised.

Anyone?... Anyone?... I didn't think so.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Hex wrote:There's a user-started RfC now. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of commenters are calling for Media Viewer to be disabled by default for everyone.

And at the end, this:
Fabrice Florin (WMF) wrote: Hi folks: Thanks for all your helpful feedback about Media Viewer in recent days. We really appreciate your candid recommendations — and survey comments confirm many of the issues you have raised on this page. The multimedia team is taking your feedback to heart, and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this tool. To respond quickly to the most frequent requests, we have pushed back all other projects to focus on Media Viewer for the next few weeks. We are now developing a number of new features for you, and aim to get them completed by tomorrow, so we can test them before releasing them to production. If all goes well, we expect to deploy some of them to the English Wikipedia by Thursday evening. The rest of them will be deployed the following week. Please check the new feature list and let us know what you think on this discussion page. Thanks again for your constructive suggestions. We look forward to improving Media Viewer together. Be well. Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 01:08, 11 June 2014 (UTC)
Yes, they've fucked it up so badly that they're now in firefighting mode at the expense of other projects. Hands up anyone who's surprised.

I particularly like where the RFC is 20-1 towards disabling the Media Viewer but WMF engineering seems to take it as, "We really need some new features" when that they're saying is, "Turn the stupid thing off."

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Vigilant wrote:I see sentiment running about 15-1 against the new mediaviewer.

Computer-engineering fraud is prohibited by the ethical code of the Association for Computing Machinery (T-H-L) (ACM).
1.3 Be honest and trustworthy.
Honesty is an essential component of trust. Without trust an organization cannot function effectively. The honest computing professional will not make deliberately false or deceptive claims about a system or system design, but will instead provide full disclosure of all pertinent system limitations and problems.

4. COMPLIANCE WITH THE CODE.

As an ACM member I will ....

4.2 Treat violations of this code as inconsistent with membership in the ACM.
Adherence of professionals to a code of ethics is largely a voluntary matter. However, if a member does not follow this code by engaging in gross misconduct, membership in ACM may be terminated.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:57 am

Vigilant wrote:
Hex wrote:There's a user-started RfC now. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of commenters are calling for Media Viewer to be disabled by default for everyone.

And at the end, this:

I particularly like where the RFC is 20-1 towards disabling the Media Viewer but WMF engineering seems to take it as, "We really need some new features" when that they're saying is, "Turn the stupid thing off."
Buuuut it's like Facebooook... see how it puuuts the picture in that nice window and makes it hard to intuitively find the other things you want to do? We've captured one of their nastiest user interfaces! We're moderrrrrn!

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:06 am

I think this poor person's words speak for a vast majority of users whether it's VisualEditor, Flow or Media Viewer:
Why does this still exist?!

Last time I was polite. This time I won't be. You're still attacking all wiki users with this crap's continued existence, and now I'm sick of being polite with this garbage shoved in my face on a daily basis.

I'm doing something SIMPLE. I'm reading an article, and want to look at the pictures, sometimes accessing information on them. Somehow you've managed to make this a problem! How the hell do you make something simple into a problem?! Why the bloody hell is this garbage still live? Doing basic tasks now takes twenty-thirty times as long - twice-thrice as many steps, and each takes ten times as long to load!

This garbage DOES NOT OFFER EVEN A SINGLE ADVANTAGE OVER THE OLD INTERFACE IN ANY WAY. None, at all, whatsoever. There is absolutely NO REASON FOR IT TO EXIST.

Old interface:

Pros:
Quick to load.
Easy selection of image size.
Lets me choose the tradeoff between detail and download time.
Easy access to image information, such as uploader and pages containing, loaded instantly with the rest of the page.
Image loading status, pan, zoom, etc provided by the browser, working quickly and correctly.
Properly separates content and presentation.
Integrates perfectly with browser's navigation, because the browser WORKS.
Lets me see both a small-size image and the description at once.
Had clear text links, works well for everyone.
Cons:
????

New interface:

Pros:
???
Cons:
Slow as fuck. Seriously. Garbage like this makes me want to turn off javascript permanently.
No access to select image size. Accessing the original image takes a half dozen clicks, every one of which is slow as fuck. And none of the clicks even work until after the rest of the slow-as-fuck crap finishes loading.
No ability to pick whether I want to see lots of detail, or want to see it soon.
Slow access to image information. First you have to wait for it to load (which is slow as fuck), then you have to click to access it... which is slow as fuck. How the fuck do you make simply displaying more info slow? Does your javascript run loops counting to a billion for the hell of it?

(EDIT: Gah! It actually fucking DOES! (in effect, at least) The god damn slow as fuck appearance of the info is INTENTIONAL! Someone actually WROTE CODE TO MAKE IT FUCKING TAKE LONGER! This goes beyond smoking crack and well into PCP territory!)

Ugly, huge, wasteful, slow as fuck image loading status bar, no pan or zoom. And, of course, no progressive loading - you have to sit there doing nothing until the entire image loads, rather than being able to see parts of it as it loads.
Combines content and presentation, doing a piss-poor job of it, duplicating built-in browser features, worse.
Viewing an image causes THREE (count them, THREE!) useless URLs to end up in the browser's history, for every single image you view. This means you might need to click "back" dozens of times to return to the last page you were reading - and the ability to quickly navigate pages is one of the things that makes wikis nice.
Can't see both the whole image, in any size, and the text at once
Uses ugly, large, cryptic icons for navigation, giving people no idea what they do, probably breaking it for people with poor vision - obviously they don't need access to images, right? (And it breaks if you use any zoom feature, too!)

And, last but most definitely not least, even if all of the above were somehow magically fixed, this simply isn't how I (or, judging from the comments, just about anyone else) want to interact with images. Functionality issues aside, it's just not what anyone wants. There is no fixing this. People want to interact with images in a way they find pleasant, and this is not, never can be, and never will be it.

This "feature" NEEDS TO DIE. I'm sure someone spent a lot of effort on it (after all, duplicating existing browser functionality can't be easy!), but it is entirely ill-conceived and ill-executed, and should not exist. It provides no benefits, gets in the way, goes against every concept of good web design, and generally should be stuck firmly in the bit bucket where it belongs. 74.207.250.159 04:38, 17 June 2014 (UTC)

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:35 pm

I've noticed that when you click on an image using the mobile view on a phone or tablet (where Media Viewer would be most useful), you don't get Media Viewer, you get sent straight to the image description page instead, although the layout is awful and the image is small on mobile view.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:44 pm

It's really not getting better.
What is the green hammer thing for?

What is the green hammer thing for that you get to by clicking on "use this image"? Also why doesn't the "preview in browser" link underneath it work. This pimple on Wikipedia just seems to get worse. Please cut your losses and just get rid of it!
Where's quickie for the old image page?

I would have stuck it out if the help page had explained how to easily click through to what I had before, the plain old image upload page. I couldn't find that explained in under a minute or two, so I switched it off in my user preferences. As a general rule, I hardly ever like improvements that pretend that the ugly under-the-hood predecessor doesn't exist (or confine it's mention to an obscure footnote). Nor am I willing to wade through the documentation carefully until it's proven the feature and I can successfully co-exist. This Catch 22 scenario often makes me a late adopter. 154.20.45.238 07:09, 18 June 2014 (UTC)
Clicking image

Why does clicking the image still not take you to the full resolution version? 86.179.5.128 02:17, 18 June 2014 (UTC)
Sucks

I just discovered this horrible feature. What a bad idea, and badly implemented. Seriously, just roll back the code-base. It sucks.
Still, WMF engineering cannot been seen to retreat.
The glorious future awaits us just past these rabbley-malcontents!

Forward to Gallipoli!

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Unlike VisualEditor, the code is working really well for me. It loads fast and works and looks nice. They've finally added an obvious quicklink to the full resolution image. Now it takes the same number of mouse clicks to get there as before. Way to go guys.

I would have placed that link off the image, and made an image click do the same because it's intuitive, but whatever. I also would have tried to reduce number of clicks to get there-- right mouse button click to pull up Media Viewer with full res image instead of downsampled, and the browser's pan/zoom unhobbled, or something like that.

The main problem I see here is one of fundamentally poor design values. When this code was first released it made some things harder instead of easier, like examining the full resolution image, arguably its most important job. On the other hand, this group of programmers seems to be listening and reacting quickly.
Last edited by TungstenCarbide on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:19 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:Unlike VisualEditor, the code is working really well for me. It loads fast and works and looks nice. They've finally added an obvious quicklink to the full resolution image. Now it takes the same number of mouse clicks to get there as before. Way to go guys.

I would have placed that link off the image, and made an image click do the same because it's intuitive, but whatever. I also would have tried to reduce number of clicks to get there-- right mouse button click to pull up Media Viewer with full res image instead of downsampled, and the browser's pan/zoom unhobbled, or something like that.

The main problem I see here is one of fundamentally poor design values. When this code was first released it made some things harder instead of easier, like examining the full resolution image, arguably its most important job. On the other hand, this group of programmers seems to be listening and reacting quickly.
Unlike virtually every other group, this one has an experienced product manager. Fabrice_Florin_(WMF) (T-C-L)

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Vigilant wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:Unlike VisualEditor, the code is working really well for me. It loads fast and works and looks nice. They've finally added an obvious quicklink to the full resolution image. Now it takes the same number of mouse clicks to get there as before. Way to go guys.

Unlike virtually every other group, this one has an experienced product manager. Fabrice_Florin_(WMF) (T-C-L)
Oh, I though maybe it was because they had Batman on the team.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 pm

The help page sucks. It's long and boring and verbose. They could probably cut user irritation in half if people knew they could bypass Media Viewer with a keystroke. Add mouseover hints somewhere, or something.

I have to admit Media Viewer has potential. So long as they deliver new function in a simple and intuitive way, and without hobbling existing function.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:The help page sucks. It's long and boring and verbose. They could probably cut user irritation in half if people knew they could bypass Media Viewer with a keystroke. Add mouseover hints somewhere, or something.

I have to admit Media Viewer has potential. So long as they deliver new function in a simple and intuitive way, and without hobbling existing function.
My problem, as with VE and Flow, is that they come at it completely wrong.
Their apparent development process:
* Imagine a product that will keep you busy for a year
* Build something like that product
* Never update your docs
* Deploy the product far too early
* Attempt to fix fundamental problems during a release

They should have long betas.
They should be working these functional problems out long before going to a full beta.
New tools should never be "opt-out".
Their "community liaisons" are just plain terrible.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 am

Onward and downward...
Looks like the WMF guys have been cooking the books using misleading statistics to bolster their arguments for foisting this new cowpat on people.

A quick snippet
Biased survey wording

The survey pre-selects by only eliciting feedback from users who remain on the image page long enough to find the small feedback link; users who are not comfortable with the image viewer will have closed the page and sought other ways to get to the Commons page, and so would be least likely to leave feedback; users who are comfortable with the image viewer because they are image focused rather than information focused, will be more inclined to find the feedback link and leave feedback. And when the feedback page is found, the question is: "Is this media viewer useful for viewing images and learning about them?" rather than: "Is this media viewer more or less useful than going direct to the Commons page?" If the survey doesn't offer an alternative, but only focuses on the current item, then the response is going to be ill-informed and limited, and will incline to what the user is looking at. It's like putting $10 on a table and asking people: "Would this £10 be useful to you?" A fairer question would be: "Which is more useful to you: £10 or the equivalent in your own currency?" Offer people appropriate alternatives, and you get more accurate feedback. SilkTork ✔Tea time 16:21, 23 June 2014 (UTC)

I also note the survey is introduced with this wording: "We'd like your feedback on the 'Media Viewer' feature you are now using. This feature improves the way images are displayed on Wikipedia, to create a more immersive experience. What do you think about this new multimedia experience?" So, even before the user takes the survey they are planted with the assertion that the image viewer "improves" the way images are displayed rather than the more neutral "changes" the way images are displayed. SilkTork ✔Tea time 16:44, 23 June 2014 (UTC)

Less than honest approval rating

@Keegan (WMF): -- Excuse me, but there was no mention of "active users" when the 0.34% figure was given. It was made in reference to all registered users. You can monkey with and cherry pick the statistics all you like, but none of the assertions you've attempted to make are consistent with the overwhelming negative feedback left here at this RfC and on the media viewer talk page and the fact that close to 900 editors have disabled the feature in only a couple of weeks. Again, many haven't logged on in weeks, months and years, and again, many didn't know about the disabled feature that wasn't included until recently. Since this feature is hidden, many more users will never know about it for some time, if ever. Again, your own statistics say most of English Wikipedia editors do not approve. Since the greater bulk of wikipedia editors globally belong to English Wikipedia, it's easy to figure that most of them don't want this glorified slideshow, with all its bugs and shortcomings, as their default viewer. i.e.'10% of New York's population is five times larger than 90% of Smithville's population.' 61% of English Wikipedia editors do not approve. What approval you did mange to get is based on a slideshow feature presented to naive and occasional users who were not informed about all the faults and shortcomings inherent with media viewer. This is not very honest in my book either.
I think the question now is, do you, Fabrice, et al, have any intentions of respecting consensus at English Wikipedia and abiding by the decision/recommendations of this RfC? -- Gwillhickers (talk) 20:47, 23 June 2014 (UTC)
The entire page is in that vein.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:59 am

There are times when the abilities of the Wikipedians to apply massive amounts of effort with incisive analyses impresses me.

Now if you could only ever harness that enthusiasm for positive things on the project, Wikipedia would get somewhere.

It's a bit like wondering about the ingenuity of criminals tunnelling into cash machines over a number of months and wondering how much they would have earned if they had applied the same effort to honest employment.
Time for a new signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Another round of lies, damn lies and statistics...

Confronted with an angry mob, the WMF stooges squeal, "buh.. buh... everyone loves this tool!!"
When asked for the methodology that shows that some mythical 70% of the people love it, they begin backpedalling talking about how, "...only 0.34% of the users have disabled it..." which smells more than a bit funny on the face of it.

Enter the actual truth. (ObHint: It's as ugly as you'd suspect.)

From the RFC
In case you are curious, this is the database query that was used:

SELECT up_value, COUNT(*)
FROM USER
LEFT JOIN user_properties ON user_id = up_user AND up_property = 'multimediaviewer-enable'
LEFT JOIN user_groups ON ug_user = user_id AND ug_group = 'bot'
WHERE ug_user IS NULL AND user_touched > '20140604000000'
GROUP BY up_value;

This counts users who have either edited the site or changed their preferences since 2014-06-04 midnight (the rollout date, loosely). Also, this is enwiki-specific. We will publish numbers for other wikis soon. --Tgr (WMF) (talk) 00:10, 24 June 2014 (UTC)
And the rejoinder
Comment user_touched is not about "users who have either edited the site or changed their preferences", but "made a change on the site, including logins, changes to pages (any namespace), watchlistings, and preference changes". It will mostly be logins; it's ridiculous to think 300k users could make an edit or change preferences in less than one month. --Nemo 15:05, 24 June 2014 (UTC)
So, to recap, the WMF rocket scientists take the number of "disabling of the media viewer" as the numerator and "logins plus other stuff" as the denominator and try to claim that this shows vast, unswerving support for the Media Viewer.

This brings on a storm of protest from being utterly lied to...
Insert : @Tgr (WMF): Could you keep this sort of cryptic presentation off the talk page? It fails to mesmerize me. It's absolutely meaningless to 99% of the readers. It's already been demonstrated that the numbers of users who haven't disabled are rather meaningless, given that many users haven't logged on in weeks and months while most users don't weigh in on discussions like this, which has become more tacky by the day, and I'm beginning to think that is why we're seeing computer code pop up into these discussions. The media viewer was introduced with no disable feature and now the disable feature remains hidden from view. Claims about the numbers who haven't disabled are meaningless. The question should be: how many 'informed' users have disabled media viewer? The last I checked it was close to 1000, and in only a couple of weeks. -- Gwillhickers (talk) 17:13, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
@159.53.110.140: Kevin, the tone is the result of an ongoing attempt to politely write-off the feedback here, on the MV talk page and their own statistics that reveal that most English and German Wikipeida editors don't approve of a slide show as a default viewer. The fact remains that the disable numbers mean little, as again, MV was introduced with no disable feature to begin with and it continues to hide this feature at the bottom of a popup menu which is also mostly hidden. As soon as it was made known how to disable some 1000 registered editors disabled it in only two weeks -- but they took this number and compared it to all users, most of whom didn't and still don't know about the disable feature in a rather transparent attempt to support a bogus conclusion that this supports their "approval" rating. So again, if we're going to heed the numbers of those who have disabled, it should be done from the perspective of how many informed users have disabled the viewer. -- RfC not a "popularity poll"? I have to disagree here. Isn't that what the MV crew have done with their approval rating, such that it was? As you seem to know by now the reasons why MV is not popular overall have been articulated by numerous users, so the "popularity", or lack thereof, actually has a basis to it. -- Gwillhickers (talk) 18:52, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
We should not be using opt-out ratios as a definite measure of support for a feature, you cannot imply that people who do not opt-out are supporters that are in favour of Media Viewer.

When Media Viewer first came about, and there was no opt-out feature within the user preferences (or at least, before I knew of the existence of any such thing), I created a rough workaround for myself in the form of a Greasemonkey userscript that circumvents Media Viewer. Since nothing on my end is broken yet, I'm too lazy to change things around even though I now know that I can disable Media Viewer in the user settings. Within your statistics, I'm probably considered a "supporter" of Media Viewer. I'm just a lazy person, but there are probably many other reasons why other people haven't opted-out yet, and you cannot infer that it's because they all support the feature. --benlisquareT•C•E 04:04, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
@Tgr: I have a few issues with your post. I think that several folks here and on the talk pages have absolutely implied that low disablement rate was an indicator of approval. Several folks have taken issue with that (including me), yet people continue to defend the idea. Second, while some opponents seem firmly in the Chicken Little camp, most are not trying to say that users are totally freaked out but that the consensus to make this a default feature was flawed and that the feature itself was not ready for Prime Time. Third, I fail to understand how a lack of complete freak-out is any argument whatsoever in favour of the making Media Viewer a default. As a Reductio ad Zombium, the fact that 99.25% of the people on earth are expected to recover from a Zombie Plague is a piss-poor reason to set the virus loose in Heathrow's International Departure Lounge. Lastly, the banner for this section relates to the less-than-honest use of statistics. I think the originator was incensed by the attempt to use a 0.34% (or 0.75%) "death rate" as an indicator that the tool is reaching acceptance. The same can be said of the (at best) sloppy use of approval ratings from account-holding, project-team-chosen, Hungarian and Catalan users as an indicator of worldwide acceptance. !Vote is all well and good, but it's baffling that an objection rate exceeding 60% is seen as anything other than an clear indicator that this needs to be rethought. You have been an island of sanity in this discussion, but this post is simply weird. 159.53.110.140 (talk) 16:48, 25 June 2014 (UTC) (Kevin)
I'm stunned.
Probably the single most dishonest thing I've ever seen the WMF engineering group try.

So the victims say, "Let's make it opt-in..."
A different proposal

@Fabrice Florin (WMF): -- In a section above, Fabrice Florin informs us that he intends to replace the present statistics with the percentage of users who disable the new feature, claiming that such metric gives us a better representation of the community's overall acceptance. Fine! Thus, let's do what he proposes, with a twist: disable the feature as the default viewer and count the users who turn it on. Fair enough? -- Alvesgaspar (talk) 20:59, 24 June 2014 (UTC)
Howls of protest from the other side.
Too funny

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm

The perennially unanswered question on a WMF engineering project.
Is scrapping MV on the table?

An honest question for Keegan, Fabrice Florin, and any others involved in bringing us Media Viewer: You claim to have your ear to the community wanting to know our opinions and thoughts on how your product can be improved. Do you consider scrapping it and returning to the file pages as an option if opinions on Media Viewer continue to be negative, particularly from the large and most-active EN and DE wikipedian communities, or are you steadfast in your course that going forward the only changes will be to further "improve" Media Viewer? - S201676 (talk) 02:49, 26 June 2014 (UTC)
We all know what the answer is

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:18 am

Oh, man, I could say some rather ripe things about Fabrice Florin. Call him a "failed hippie" and an "artist wannabe" and an "Marin County social climber" and such. For evidence, all you need is the contents of his Flickr. Some powerfully stupid bullshit in there.

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:43 am

EricBarbour wrote:Oh, man, I could say some rather ripe things about Fabrice Florin. Call him a "failed hippie" and an "artist wannabe" and an "Marin County social climber" and such. For evidence, all you need is the contents of his Flickr. Some powerfully stupid bullshit in there.
Do you ever wake up and think, "This morning, I'll post something complementary about someone"?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 am

Anthonyhcole wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Oh, man, I could say some rather ripe things about Fabrice Florin. Call him a "failed hippie" and an "artist wannabe" and an "Marin County social climber" and such. For evidence, all you need is the contents of his Flickr. Some powerfully stupid bullshit in there.
Do you ever wake up and think, "This morning, I'll post something complementary about someone"?
That's what the woo-hoo thread is for.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Cue the fireworks..
Note As the person who started this RfC but has not voted in it, I am watching it and am prepared to close it myself if someone else doesn't get to it first, although I think it would be best if someone who has never written on this page is the closer. We are getting close to the 30 day mark, and if no one closes this discussion shortly after the 30 day mark I will actively look for a closer, and if no one closes within a few days of those requests then I am prepared to close this discussion myself. --Pine✉ 07:18, 29 June 2014 (UTC)
Should be interesting.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:31 am

I look forward to AfDs closed by the proposer - or, better still, RfAs.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:42 am

Good lord...
No tooltips in full screen mode available

On Mac OS X, Firefox 30.0

When I'm in full screen mode of Media Viewer, there are no tooltips available for any of the buttons. Is this on purpose? I think, there should be tooltips, too. Strange thing: I noticed, that if you hover the mouse over the 'end full screen mode' button, there actually does appear a tooltip for it, but only after clicking, the moment the mode has been finished, not before! The same happens, when you hover over the X in full sreen mode and then click. The only difference is, that in this case the old issue with the sticking tooltip occurs.

An addition regarding the already known bug with the ending of the MV full screen mode affecting the full screen Firefox browser window, which I can't find on Bugzilla: Firefox goes unexpectedly out of full screen mode not only on clicking the 'end full screen mode button' in MV, it also changes over to a smaller window, when clicking the X escape button of MV in full screen mode. I expect Firefox to stay in full screen mode for both ways of ending the MV full screen mode. --Miss-Sophie (talk) 14:23, 3 July 2014 (UTC)

I'm not sure about the tooltips issue, that'll get looked into. For the second part, here's the bug that I filed for the fullscreen issue that you were looking for. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:11, 3 July 2014 (UTC)

We use tipsy which does not work in fullscreen mode (it appends the tooltip to the body instead of the fullscreened element). Tipsy is unmaintained and generally low quality; IMO trying to address its non-critical bugs is not the best use of development time. --Tgr (WMF) (talk) 20:55, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
bug 41086 tracks this FWIW. --Tgr (WMF) (talk) 22:46, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
You used a low quality, unmaintained (aka abandonware) product in your flagship release to all wikis?!?!?!?!?

Were you guys collectively dropped on your heads as babies?!

This is the most painfully stupid idea I have seen come out of WMF engineering...
Un-fucking-believable.

You should all be fired on general principles.
:frustrated2:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:46 am

Another satisfied customer!!
Yet another user's opinion

I don't like it. These are my inner thoughts.

1. It doesn't match the rest of wiki at all. In particular the links and tabs one expects to always be at the top of the screen are suddenly gone.
2. My browser is getting awfully slow.
3. Oh I see, this new media viewer thing isn't actually a page in itself, its a giant popup obscuring the entire article under it.
4. There are no headers for many of the metadata fields. The first thing I read below the image is a name. Its not immediately clear if that name is the person who uploaded this file, or the creator of the work. I scroll down to see if theres something more verbose...
5. Oh look, there's a "Created" date. Wait, is that when the original work was produced, or when it was added to wiki, or when it was added to commons?
6. Whatever... so now I want to view the full size image. Now is that the double arrow button?
7. Nope, that makes my browser pretend its the only program running.
8. Oh, its the picture frame button that I can't see now because I covered it with this floating thing.
9. Good thing there's a square with outward pointing curvy arrow button that does the same thing at the cost of another click.
10. But wait, I should check the edit history while I'm here to be sure the last editor didn't screw up the white balance... oh snap, thats not shown here.
11. Oh, if I click on this commons logo or the lovely text link I'm taken to a page that has everything I could ever want.
12. Hmm, I could disable this media viewer thingy and see that nicely structured page without so much clicking.
13. Odd, I disabled it in my preferences but it still comes up.
14. OH! I have to disable it on every Wikimedia site individually...
15. ...and always make sure I'm logged in, even if I'm just here reading...

Krushia (talk) 22:43, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
So bad it's gone beyond bad to funny and back to land at headshakingly sad.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:06 am

Vigilant wrote:You used a low quality, unmaintained (aka abandonware) product in your flagship release to all wikis?!?!?!?!?
I'm told that this kind of thing is not unusual, even today, even in the open-source world. (Bear in mind that even 15+ years after the "demise" of Visual Basic 6, new Windows apps are still being written in it.)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:13 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Vigilant wrote:You used a low quality, unmaintained (aka abandonware) product in your flagship release to all wikis?!?!?!?!?
I'm told that this kind of thing is not unusual, even today, even in the open-source world. (Bear in mind that even 15+ years after the "demise" of Visual Basic 6, new Windows apps are still being written in it.)
Makes you wonder why this doesn't happen in well run open source projects.
I don't see Linus Torvalds doing this.
Or the Apache team.
Or the MySQL or it's fork MariaDB.
Or LibreOffice.

The WMF has tons of people and money.
Using abandonware should be grounds for immediate dismissal.
Especially after shitting on the person who reported the bug.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:22 am

Vigilant wrote:The WMF has tons of people and money.
Using abandonware should be grounds for immediate dismissal.
Especially after shitting on the person who reported the bug.
If you ever want to know what would happen to Linux if some bozos managed to force Linus and his core maintenance group out, and then start generating crap code....the WMF is the "gold standard" by way of example. In fact, I doubt a bunch of "pirates" could trash the Linux kernel as beautifully as the WMF's "developers" have screwed up their own projects.

And it's funny you mentioned LibreOffice. When Oracle bought Sun and forced out the developers of Open Office, they went off and did a major revision for LO, which included the removal of megabytes of "deprecated code".