Wnt

EricBarbour

kołdry

Re: Wnt

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 am

lilburne wrote:
Sweet Revenge wrote:
tarantino wrote: He is very odd, to put it nicely.
Is he some kind of biologist, then? http://www.stanford.edu/group/nusselab/ ... /wnt/mouse
He seems to be either a porter of lab assistant at a teaching hospital in or near to Center Valley - probably LeHigh
We've already looked into this. Other than probably being ethnic Chinese, in the Allentown-Bethlehem area, a biogenetic researcher who
deals with lab mice, and being very fond of astronomy and especially Copernicus, and being a nerdy robot gnome, we've yet to find solid
clues to his identity.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:52 pm

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:58 pm

From http://www.stanford.edu/group/nusselab/cgi-bin/wnt/:
Wnt proteins form a family of highly conserved secreted signaling molecules that regulate cell-to-cell interactions. . .
Hmmmn.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:27 pm

EricBarbour wrote: We've we've yet to find solid clues to his identity.
Further information added to the database as requested.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 pm

lilburne wrote:Further information added to the database as requested.
Careful, Silver seren is watching you.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Mason wrote:
lilburne wrote:Further information added to the database as requested.
Careful, Silver seren is watching you.
:popcorn:

Seren is hacked.

:popcorn:

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 am

The attempts to use and abuse posters' identities will not be going away - they are integral to the Wikipediocracy model. For the theoretical underpinning, see lilburne's comment on a meeting between Peter Damien and Jon Davies ( wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=319 ), in which he quotes Alinsky's 13th rule of power tactics, "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it" This is what was done to Fae - all the WO people have been steadfastly going after him and only him; they've used photos and sexual traits to personalize the situation; they've made the situation entirely polarized. As Alinsky writes, they chose a target who seemed vulnerable, and one in a position of power. Then on Page 2 you see them setting up for a run on Risker. Though I see they're also mulling over Courcelles on another thread - I don't think we'll know who they'll go after until they decide, but as per this tactic, they won't change targets afterward. I doubt they'll settle for anything less than an Arb, though. Wnt (talk) 17:55, 3 August 2012 (UTC)
Now that we greater contact with the media, and that a few have the ear of selected politicians, pealing back the curtain and revealing the backstage shenanigans. Anything is possible.

RULE 7 and RULE 8.

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:19 pm

lilburne wrote:
The attempts to use and abuse posters' identities will not be going away - they are integral to the Wikipediocracy model. For the theoretical underpinning, see lilburne's comment on a meeting between Peter Damien and Jon Davies ( wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=319 ), in which he quotes Alinsky's 13th rule of power tactics, "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it" This is what was done to Fae - all the WO people have been steadfastly going after him and only him; they've used photos and sexual traits to personalize the situation; they've made the situation entirely polarized. As Alinsky writes, they chose a target who seemed vulnerable, and one in a position of power. Then on Page 2 you see them setting up for a run on Risker. Though I see they're also mulling over Courcelles on another thread - I don't think we'll know who they'll go after until they decide, but as per this tactic, they won't change targets afterward. I doubt they'll settle for anything less than an Arb, though. Wnt (talk) 17:55, 3 August 2012 (UTC)
Now that we greater contact with the media, and that a few have the ear of selected politicians, pealing back the curtain and revealing the backstage shenanigans. Anything is possible.

RULE 7 and RULE 8.
Just think how far we could go if some commie would burn down the Reichstag.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 am

Wnt is trying his hand at creating content, and getting it on the main page. :facepalm:

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:10 am

HRIP7 wrote:Wnt is trying his hand at creating content, and getting it on the main page. :facepalm:
:facepalm: :facepalm:
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 am

Wnt demonstrates his Wikipedian credentials - clearly a fully signed up member.
Read more detail on the answering-christianity article. I don't know how good a source that is, but it certainly sounds very believable to an outsider...
This is not a topic I can cover various well - having troubles reading both the language and the best paywalled source - but it's better than a blank. Bismillah.....
Not very good writing, but a start
I'm pretty sure about the 3-day figure but can't find it in the sources right now..
Oops - somehow I deleted myself (must have been an old edit window?)
Time for a new signature.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:26 pm

This is not a topic I can cover various well - having troubles reading both the language and the best paywalled source - but it's better than a blank. Bismillah.....
Scaramouche scaramouche will you do the fandango?

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm

let him run with it and see how it goes.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm

lilburne wrote:let him run with it and see how it goes.
A bigot and a moron. The child doesn't even know what the hadith are, but he's using some story about talking donkeys to make the case that "Mohamed is a fag." Par for the course.

Really, the mouthbreathing stupidity of this one, coupled with with high self-regard, is really special:
To modern eyes, one of the more mysterious parts of the story involves the question about whether Ya'fur desires females. The modern comic response, of course, is to see him as a gay donkey, but I doubt this is period authentic - I even doubt that people in ancient times even perceived homo- and heterosexuals as mutually exclusive castes. I also find it hard to believe that it was a reference to a celibate lifestyle, because if Muhammad himself had wives and concubines why would a donkey be monkish? And he did come from 60 generations, after all. I don't know if they had stud farms at that time, whether it was an offered boon that the donkey could go off and live in one in pleasant conditions but not serve the prophet... or maybe the donkey's lack of interest in reproduction reflects Muhammad's status as "Seal of the Prophets"? ... bottom line, I have no idea ... does anyone? Wnt (talk) 16:32, 28 September 2012 (UTC)

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:04 pm

And Chris Owen "Prioryman" has the part of a paranoid hysteric down pat.
Leaving aside the inappropriateness of Jayen466 simultaneously purporting to review this article while ridiculing it on his hate site Wikipediocracy, it's premature to reject this nomination. The article is admittedly not very well written but there is scope for this to be a useful article; the story described in it is a fairly well-known Hadith. I'll do some work on it tonight.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:Wnt is trying his hand at creating content, and getting it on the main page. :facepalm:
:facepalm: :facepalm:
So in an article about Muhammad's donkey, he's using a screen capture of a version of "Innocence of Muslims" shown in Egypt to illustrate this...but the image does not have a donkey in it. What kind of logic is this?
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Tarc wrote:but the image does not have a donkey in it. What kind of logic is this?
Wntian?

Meanwhile ... Go Chris! Go Chris! Go Chris!

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:46 pm

It's worth remembering that this guy is one of the most active "editors" providing advice and guidance on their so-called "Science reference desk." But of course:
We shouldn't dismiss astrology entirely without thinking about it. Sure, it's based on absurd theories, but suppose, say, the women in some village got a hankering for tea made with fresh veratrum flowers. (Hippocrates was a great believer in the stuff, but I think he administered it all times of year) Well, because of the critical periods of development, there might be one or two Zodiacal signs that specifically direct the birth of baby Cyclopes. Who knows - it is possible that somewhat less obvious characteristics have, at certain times and places, followed a rough astrological calendar in this way. Wnt (talk) 18:56, 23 October 2012 (UTC)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 pm

DanMurphy wrote:And Chris Owen "Prioryman" has the part of a paranoid hysteric down pat.
while ridiculing it on his hate site Wikipediocracy, it's premature to reject this nomination.
That's what it is, Chris. Because we hate you. And your little frenemy Wnt too.
You both have issues with "reality".

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 am

Wnt getting trolled by Sir Bonar Neville-Kingdom (T-H-L).

It sort of makes sense, as Wnt's and Neville-Kingdom's rhetorical styles are quite similar.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 am

HRIP7 wrote:Wnt getting trolled by Sir Bonar Neville-Kingdom (T-H-L).

It sort of makes sense, as Wnt's and Neville-Kingdom's rhetorical styles are quite similar.
I've since put up an orange traffic cone at Sir Bonar Neville-Kingdom

Talk sense sweetheart, you mean a Belisha beacon.

Learn this Wnt TEH INTERTUBES is full of crap, including, but not limited to, stuff you believe to or Wnt to be true. Consider it as Education in the art of critical thinking through the use of outlandish disinformation.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:58 pm

lilburne wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:Wnt getting trolled by Sir Bonar Neville-Kingdom (T-H-L). It sort of makes sense, as Wnt's and Neville-Kingdom's rhetorical styles are quite similar.
I've since put up an orange traffic cone at Sir Bonar Neville-Kingdom
Talk sense sweetheart, you mean a Belisha beacon.

Learn this Wnt TEH INTERTUBES is full of crap, including, but not limited to, stuff you believe to or Wnt to be true. Consider it as Education in the art of critical thinking through the use of outlandish disinformation.
As I just said to PD, the present crop of "Wikipedians" are so profoundly autistic, they have no sense of humor, and cannot recognize satire or irony when presented.
Even David Gerard or Sidaway were capable of an occasional wisecrack. They've been replaced by aging gamer-boy patrollers with deeply inadequate social skills.
People were joking about "basement dwellers" controlling Wikipedia back in 2005, yet it ended up becoming literally true. All ironic, and all completely misunderstood
by the subjects themselves.

FlossMore
Contributor

Unread post by FlossMore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm

DanMurphy wrote:And Chris Owen "Prioryman" has the part of a paranoid hysteric down pat.
Leaving aside the inappropriateness of Jayen466 simultaneously purporting to review this article while ridiculing it on his hate site Wikipediocracy, it's premature to reject this nomination. The article is admittedly not very well written but there is scope for this to be a useful article; the story described in it is a fairly well-known Hadith. I'll do some work on it tonight.
Jayen466, you're ridiculing shit in here?

What a nightmare! Please immediately start praising racist and religious bullshit. Now!

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Wnt now says of the Wikipediocracy forum:
Ultimately their root is in MyWikiBiz, and I see their purpose as commercial.
Thank you, my minions, for helping to make me (and us) rich beyond imagination!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Even the "Art Bell of Jimbo's talkpage" has realized that Wikipedia is declining.
But I should comment that there are things I think that are important. A successor needs to separate the ''generation'' of content from its presentation, to avoid creating a power center with control over what version of history is presented. Wikipedia erred greatly in deviating from being an encyclopedia anyone can edit - we need one where banning editors is not even ''possible'', let alone attempted. Creating a pool of banned editors meant creating a group of people whose agendas, in terms of self-respect and any possible future role, ''had'' to involve attempts to disgrace Wikipedia as a whole to destroy the legitimacy of its edicts against them. Rather, editors should be able to put in demonstrable work to self-certify to higher levels, including admin-like roles, and treatment of malefactors amounts essentially to revoking this certification so the editor starts over. There are other lessons to be learned, especially pertaining to paid editing. We'll have to hasten though, because the final collapse when it happens will be faster than we expect. [[User:Wnt|Wnt]] ([[User talk:Wnt|talk]]) 14:54, 27 December 2012 (UTC)
Wasting your time even bringing it up. They won't do it. It will slowly decline, Google will suddenly stop giving it priority, and the insiders will point fingers at each other.
Wales will write a memoir full of utter crap and lies, and people will still love him. (The Oracle has Spoken. We now return you to our regular schedule of nonsense.)

Isn't it hilarious, that we can sit here and cause great stinks to appear on Wikipedia, without going anywhere near it? Their hatred of criticism is drowning out the
whole purpose of Wikipedia.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue May 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Hey Greg,

When do I start collected my six figure salary?
You're not gonna Wikipedian-of-the-year me, are you?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Vigilant wrote:Hey Greg,

First I heard of this. I will look into this and give a full report in due course.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 15, 2013 3:39 pm

thekohser wrote:

First I heard of this. I will look into this and give a full report in due course.
Will you be thinking thoughtfully or can I expect an answer this year?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 15, 2013 5:14 pm

What a ridiculous caricature of a human being.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =555234840
What you're calling "adulthood" is the acceptance of a specific set of cultural taboos that only certain people believe in. If for some people you know it is correlated with increasing age, that is only because your taboos are in conflict with the state of nature. If people were entirely free from such mad ideology, they would have the right to stroll through the gates of Eden, and (among other things) they would do so naked.

The cost of your proposal, however, would be high - despite claims above, there really isn't any difference between showing a penis to illustrate the anatomy and showing it exhibitionistically; it still looks the same. If we begin concealing articles about sexual topics from children, the inevitable cost will be unwanted pregnancies and lethal disease. Pornography infects no one. We cannot accept your agenda without agreeing to make a blood sacrifice. [[User:Wnt|Wnt]] 16:56, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
So, not hosting child porn is the opening salvo onto the slippery slope to death by disease.

If I'd gotten stinking, sloppy drunk and tried to parody you while vomiting Tequila through my nose, I could not have done as fine a job.
Well done, Wnt.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed May 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Apparently, "Wnt" won't rest until every kindergarten has a poster of a naked woman masturbating with an electric toothbrush in the lobby.

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Apparently, "Wnt" won't rest until every kindergarten has a poster of a naked woman masturbating with an electric toothbrush in the lobby.
Posted beside the posters of the 10 Commandments?

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Wed May 15, 2013 5:36 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Apparently, "Wnt" won't rest until every kindergarten has a poster of a naked woman masturbating with an electric toothbrush in the lobby.
Is "lobby" a new euphemism, or is the woman to be in a public area of a building? :evilgrin:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:
thekohser wrote:

I can't control the speed of responses of other people, so you're just going to have to hold your breath for now. My views are well known and I have nothing new to add.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Vigilant wrote:What a ridiculous caricature of a human being.
What you're calling "adulthood" is the acceptance of a specific set of cultural taboos that only certain people believe in. If for some people you know it is correlated with increasing age, that is only because your taboos are in conflict with the state of nature. If people were entirely free from such mad ideology, they would have the right to stroll through the gates of Eden, and (among other things) they would do so naked.

The cost of your proposal, however, would be high - despite claims above, there really isn't any difference between showing a penis to illustrate the anatomy and showing it exhibitionistically; it still looks the same. If we begin concealing articles about sexual topics from children, the inevitable cost will be unwanted pregnancies and lethal disease. Pornography infects no one. We cannot accept your agenda without agreeing to make a blood sacrifice. [[User:Wnt|Wnt]] 16:56, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
So, not hosting child porn is the opening salvo onto the slippery slope to death by disease.

If I'd gotten stinking, sloppy drunk and tried to parody you while vomiting Tequila through my nose, I could not have done as fine a job.
Well done, Wnt.
He certainly has a flare for the melodramatic, talking of blood sacrifice and what not.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 15, 2013 6:09 pm

thekohser wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
thekohser wrote:

I can't control the speed of responses of other people, so you're just going to have to hold your breath for now. My views are well known and I have nothing new to add.
You keep up this attitude, mister, and you're likely to find yourself in a Russian massage parlor without a working visa card!

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:

Well done, Wnt.
He certainly has a flare for the melodramatic, talking of blood sacrifice and what not.
Perhaps he would then care to estimate the number of lives Commons has saved in the last 5 years? Perhaps he would also care to find out how many contributors have a criminal record for dealing in pornography (clue: we know the answer is greater than zero).
Time for a new signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Well done, Wnt.
Here's another salvo of dubious sanity across the bow...
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =555239607
Note that as explained at [[Commons:Help:Sexual content]] and in particular [https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/adult] the exceptional claims regarding 2257 enforcement are pure threat and chilling effect without a valid legal basis. WMF Counsel actually considered the question and gave advice that Commons does not need to maintain 2257 documentation. [[User:Wnt|Wnt]] ([[User talk:Wnt|talk]]) 17:55, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
That's a pretty bold statement, either by Wnt or by the WMF counsel.
If I were a betting man, though, I'd bet Wnt is full of shit right up to his eyebrows.

https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/adult
Digging through the eff doc, I'd guess commons is in some pretty deep water with respect, in particular, to reporting requirements for child pornography. Has the WMF and/or commons reported every instance of deleted child porn?

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Wed May 15, 2013 7:07 pm

This was an interesting article regarding the EFF and its lawyers:
http://musictechpolicy.wordpress.com/20 ... f-justice/

bottom line is that swim very close to the line of advising on how to obstruct the law.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Nay, that wasn't Lanier's point. With the free culture movement, people do work for free, and then companies come along with huge amounts of capital and figure out a way to leverage the information thus provided to get even more capital. The question is, do we follow Lanier's advice and dive back into that rigged game, trying to extract our $0.00002 for writing a blog post while paying real dollars for the well-marketed media creations, or do we recognize that just as we have presently a very harsh, very arbitrary, very government-dependent mechanism by which people are forcibly taxed for royalties to pay to the wealthy who can control content distribution mechanisms, so we could, if we mobilized the power, simply demand higher taxes on this wealth and the redistribution of wealth to the masses in recognition for their uncredited contributions, and/or abolish the mechanisms that formally create business monopolies. When everyone is free to copy anything, to use any business model or sequence any gene without being told that is the sole privilege of whoever had the biggest business operation to get the first one done the fastest, there should be more equality than when most ways to make money are the legal property of a few. Wnt (talk) 13:55, 2 June 2013 (UTC)
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Wnt is a special case of useful idiot/tool.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 pm

lilburne wrote:Wnt is a special case of useful idiot/tool.
In what way(s) is Wnt "special".

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Wnt said on Jimbo's talk today, in the discussion about PR use of the main page,
The weird thing is that I've lambasted about this issue more than once in regard to Square Enix software topics, which have been entitled to a Featured Ad every six months for the past seven years or so. But nobody cares about that - all they care about are DYKs that last a quarter of the time and take a tenth of the space. (They don't care about those awful feature ad-images either, pictures of phones and nobodies that have nothing for them except they're the best image of that product) Wnt (talk) 16:50, 5 June 2013 (UTC)
He had raised this issue once before on Jimbo's talk page:
Today our fine featured ad for the Christmas shopping season is Final Fantasy. It is one of many featured articles from the prolific and dedicated editors of WP:WikiProject Square Enix, devoted to the fine products of Square Enix and its European division. Though less than half of Square Enix's fine products that have reached FA status have actually been displayed on the Main Page so far, they still have appeared about once every 212 days since 2006:
Final Fantasy X - July 19, 2006
Final Fantasy VI - June 20, 2007
Kingdom Hearts - October 4, 2007
Chrono Trigger - April 10, 2008
Mana (series) - December 12, 2008
Vagrant Story - August 10, 2009
The World Ends with You - September 25, 2009
Chrono Cross - August 15, 2010
Kingdom Hearts (video game) - February 7, 2011
Final Fantasy XII - March 16, 2011
Final Fantasy - December 18, 2012
The Square Enix WikiProject doesn't include works of the wholly owned subsidiaries Taito and Eidos in its lists, so I didn't count Taito's Space Invaders (April 24, 2010) and I'm not sure how many more of those there are, but their articles don't seem like they've seen anywhere near as much attention - there are even lots of redlinks.
It looks like some folks at Square Enix have a lot to be proud of on their resumes, and I'm sure they have a bright future ahead of them in Wikipedia advertising. Wnt (talk) 19:20, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
That does seem like a lot of TFAs for a company, doesn't it? I guess the assumption has always been that it's fans and that it's a hopeless battle to prevent gamers from promoting articles on games.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:14 pm

HRIP7 wrote:Wnt said on Jimbo's talk today, in the discussion about PR use of the main page,
The weird thing is that I've lambasted about this issue more than once in regard to Square Enix software topics, which have been entitled to a Featured Ad every six months for the past seven years or so. But nobody cares about that - all they care about are DYKs that last a quarter of the time and take a tenth of the space. (They don't care about those awful feature ad-images either, pictures of phones and nobodies that have nothing for them except they're the best image of that product) Wnt (talk) 16:50, 5 June 2013 (UTC)
He had raised this issue once before on Jimbo's talk page:
Today our fine featured ad for the Christmas shopping season is Final Fantasy. It is one of many featured articles from the prolific and dedicated editors of WP:WikiProject Square Enix, devoted to the fine products of Square Enix and its European division. Though less than half of Square Enix's fine products that have reached FA status have actually been displayed on the Main Page so far, they still have appeared about once every 212 days since 2006:
Final Fantasy X - July 19, 2006
Final Fantasy VI - June 20, 2007
Kingdom Hearts - October 4, 2007
Chrono Trigger - April 10, 2008
Mana (series) - December 12, 2008
Vagrant Story - August 10, 2009
The World Ends with You - September 25, 2009
Chrono Cross - August 15, 2010
Kingdom Hearts (video game) - February 7, 2011
Final Fantasy XII - March 16, 2011
Final Fantasy - December 18, 2012
The Square Enix WikiProject doesn't include works of the wholly owned subsidiaries Taito and Eidos in its lists, so I didn't count Taito's Space Invaders (April 24, 2010) and I'm not sure how many more of those there are, but their articles don't seem like they've seen anywhere near as much attention - there are even lots of redlinks.
It looks like some folks at Square Enix have a lot to be proud of on their resumes, and I'm sure they have a bright future ahead of them in Wikipedia advertising. Wnt (talk) 19:20, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
That does seem like a lot of TFAs for a company, doesn't it? I guess the assumption has always been that it's fans and that it's a hopeless battle to prevent gamers from promoting articles on games.
If only Gibraltar and Monmouth had hired Square Enix's PR people instead of the Apple Dumpling Gang.

*sigh*

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 pm

HRIP7 wrote:Wnt said on Jimbo's talk today, in the discussion about PR use of the main page,
As I said on WR in August 2011:
Good example of the obsessively detailed, personal-essay-ish crap WP contains about video games.
Anachronox (T-H-L)
112k bytes, 167 references. For a ten-year-old game.
Very few historical articles have this much detail.
Thank Zeality. You'll also note that he tried to pwn the Chrono Trigger (T-H-L) article, and apparently failed.
Every major videogaming franchise "enjoys" this level of control and obsession. Always the same few editors, too.

All very typical. Some people want to have sex with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Wikipedia:Autoconfirmed article creation trial/Request for comment on permanent implementation (T-H-L)

Apparently, a recent trial has shown that restricting new article creation to those who have been registered for four days and made ten edits has no effect on "New user activity and retention" and means "Fewer low-quality and inappropriate pages have been created in article space". (Someone actually did some research!)

Of course, the horses have long since bolted, but there is overwhelming support for permanently enacting this exceedingly minor barn-securing measure -- it would seem like a no-brainer.

Talking of which, here's Wnt, who, needless to say, opposes...
It does not in any way alarm me to see an occasional piece of complete junk floating around.
They're the flies in the cistern water that remind you not to drink the rest without further treatment.

Wikipedia is fundamentally a kind of web search.
There I should be able to find your daughter if I want and a dead cat if I want.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:30 pm

:wtf: Ming does not want to see his dead cat.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Nor my daughter...

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Anyone who thinks that "Wikipedia is fundamentally a kind of web search" shouldn't be allowed to edit the project. (Of course, plenty of such people do, and produce lousy articles.)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Poetlister wrote:Anyone who thinks that "Wikipedia is fundamentally a kind of web search" shouldn't be allowed to edit the project. (Of course, plenty of such people do, and produce lousy articles.)
Fortunately since Wnt's craziness is usually limited to Jimbo's talk page, no one has bothered to show him the door yet.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:57 pm

To avoid off topic discussion in the Fram thread, Wnt is requesting to be unblocked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =904030342