Personal attacks --sacrasm is not to be tolerated

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Personal attacks --sacrasm is not to be tolerated

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:50 pm

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Review_of_Precautionary_principle&diff=121077718&oldid=121076590:
remove personal attack
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Nick&diff=121078940&oldid=121078740:
I'm not happy with Jkadavoor saying "Hmm; I'm thrilled by your knowledge on copyright". I consider it to be a personal attack, completely unnecessary and unwarranted in the situation. [[User:Nick|Nick]] ([[User talk:Nick#top|<span class="signature-talk">talk</span>]]) 13:25, 10 April 2014 (UTC)
Nick is a sysop on enwiki. It's amazing how enwiki sysops can be easily offended by even the smallest of things and respond to harmless comments with censorship rather than rebuttals.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Personal attacks --sacrasm is not to be tolerated

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:respond to harmless comments with censorship rather than rebuttals.
Censorship is so much easier. You hardly need to think.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Since Nick is an administrator, Jkadavoor should be concerned with losing his ability to edit on the preposterous assertion that Jkadavoor's "I'm thrilled by your knowledge on copyright" is covered by WP:NPA, which Nick is menacingly alluding to.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Meepsheep
Contributor

Unread post by Meepsheep » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:26 am

To be fair, it's ~kind of~ covered in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _attack.3F -- nevertheless NPA, as with most policies, allows for "open interpretation".
DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS, I LOVE YOU - Lil B

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:32 am

"Nick" was discussed in a previous thread.

Yes, he deleted his LinkedIn. Yes, he's very stupid. Wiki-Luv, everyone!

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Meepsheep wrote:To be fair, it's ~kind of~ covered in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _attack.3F -- nevertheless NPA, as with most policies, allows for "open interpretation".
Even given the incredibly over-broad text that has been crammed over time into the WP:NPA policy there, it is difficult to make the case that "I'm thrilled by your copyright knowledge" is "personal attack." I also like where it says there ""you're a train spotter so what would you know about fashion?" is an example of a personal attack that "is NEVER acceptable."

The reason Wikipedia policies are so over-broad and bloated is, I believe, not because they were originally bad but rather that they've been iterated and expanded over time by administrative participants to accommodate their own own self interests as to their administrative actions. For example Nick is irritated by the "thrilled" comment so potentially he goes to WP:NPA and adds to it that "sarcasm is a personal attack." The end result is to give administrators more latitude to do whatever the heck they want to content creators based on whim and caprice and irritation. So by the time, for example, Jkadavoor manages to react with "huh, what?! that was not a personal attack!" he's been indefinitely blocked and Nick is walking on down the street with added spring in his step and satisfied grin on his face, because it's a done deal.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Meepsheep
Contributor

Unread post by Meepsheep » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Triptych wrote:
Meepsheep wrote:To be fair, it's ~kind of~ covered in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _attack.3F -- nevertheless NPA, as with most policies, allows for "open interpretation".
Even given the incredibly over-broad text that has been crammed over time into the WP:NPA policy there, it is difficult to make the case that "I'm thrilled by your copyright knowledge" is "personal attack." I also like where it says there ""you're a train spotter so what would you know about fashion?" is an example of a personal attack that "is NEVER acceptable."

The reason Wikipedia policies are so over-broad and bloated is, I believe, not because they were originally bad but rather that they've been iterated and expanded over time by administrative participants to accommodate their own own self interests as to their administrative actions. For example Nick is irritated by the "thrilled" comment so potentially he goes to WP:NPA and adds to it that "sarcasm is a personal attack." The end result is to give administrators more latitude to do whatever the heck they want to content creators based on whim and caprice and irritation. So by the time, for example, Jkadavoor manages to react with "huh, what?! that was not a personal attack!" he's been indefinitely blocked and Nick is walking on down the street with added spring in his step and satisfied grin on his face, because it's a done deal.
I think it's fairly obvious the system is set up in favor of administrative totalitarianism, otherwise there wouldn't be A. contradicting policies, and B. loosely defined policies.
DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS, I LOVE YOU - Lil B

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 am

Meepsheep wrote:I think it's fairly obvious the system is set up in favor of administrative totalitarianism, otherwise there wouldn't be A. contradicting policies, and B. loosely defined policies.
I suspect that to a large extent that's cock-up rather than conspiracy. There is no central guiding mind on the policies; each of them is crowdsourced, often by different people. In such an environment, contradictions are inevitable, and sloppy drafting highly likely.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Meepsheep wrote:I think it's fairly obvious the system is set up in favor of administrative totalitarianism, otherwise there wouldn't be A. contradicting policies, and B. loosely defined policies.
I suspect that to a large extent that's cock-up rather than conspiracy. There is no central guiding mind on the policies; each of them is crowdsourced, often by different people. In such an environment, contradictions are inevitable, and sloppy drafting highly likely.
Slimvirgin, especially, worked very hard to introduce and keep in place antinomies. I have no doubt that this was deliberate.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Poetlister mainly, and of course Meepsheep opined on how the system is set up at this time, and not necessarily how it came to be so set up.

My sense, though I'd have to go do some big study to actually back this up, is that Wikipedia policies at their cores usually make sense, and probably did at their initial draft and early revisions, but that after that things were accreted on to them over time where to the point where they often are bloated, contradictory, messes. My sense is, and some of you will hear me sounding a typical refrain of mine in a different modulation, is that policy authors are typically content creators, but the policies are later and over years co-opted and mutated by administrative participants.

I'll caveat that that, yes, a few administrative participants also create significant content, and there is the rare content creator who also significantly administrates or even possibly ends up at Arbcom, and no-one is, necessarily, a bad or lesser person, but I find the administrative participant-content creator divide the distinguishing and pervasive fundamental of how Wikipedia today functions.

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:06 pm

WP has one fundamental problem it refuses to even recognise, and it's this. "Anyone can edit" isn't the same as saying "anyone can edit anything".

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 pm

From the transcript of the Al-Jazeera programme that featured Jimbo and others.
Oliver Kamm: Your model is one of arriving at conclusions by consensus and scholarship doesn’t work like that. It works by conflict. And it works by derision of ideas that are bad. You approach truth by a completely different avenue, which is getting the largest number of people to agree with a particular summary.
Sarcasm is sometimes needed when dismissing nonsense.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:55 pm

eppur si muove wrote:From the transcript of the Al-Jazeera programme that featured Jimbo and others.
Oliver Kamm: Your model is one of arriving at conclusions by consensus and scholarship doesn’t work like that. It works by conflict. And it works by derision of ideas that are bad. You approach truth by a completely different avenue, which is getting the largest number of people to agree with a particular summary.
Sarcasm is sometimes needed when dismissing nonsense.
Many thanks for that link. The force is strong with Mr. Kamm.
Oliver Kamm: My objection to Wikipedia, Mehdi used the phrase anti-elitist, you responded by saying it’s anti-credentialist. My objection to Wikipedia is that it’s anti-intellectual. I’ve never come across an academic enthused by the subject who's unwilling to discuss it or to debate the subject matter. The problem with Wikipedia is that you’re democratic, not in the sense of no one has the last word by credentials, but, anyone can join in. There is no way in which Wikipedia can filter genuine scholarship from amateur enthusiasm.
Jimmy Wales: You know, I think you could ask Thomas Edison about the candle... [LAUGHTER]

Oliver Kamm: You haven’t discovered Penicillin or electricity. You’ve set up a website. Your extraordinary self-grandiosity is one of the most revealing things I’ve heard this evening.
Oliver Kamm: Academics object to using Britannica because it’s a summary of primary and secondary sources. They reasonably object to Wikipedia because they’ve no idea if it’s true.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Many thanks for that link. The force is strong with Mr. Kamm.
Jimmy Wales: You know, I think you could ask Thomas Edison about the candle... [LAUGHTER]

Oliver Kamm: You haven’t discovered Penicillin or electricity. You’ve set up a website. Your extraordinary self-grandiosity is one of the most revealing things I’ve heard this evening.
That's wonderful work by Mr. Kamm. How dare Wales liken himself to Edison? He's a nudie website opportunist that co-opted wiki technology for his own personal trademark and set up an encyclopedia-like wiki thing before anybody else did.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Triptych wrote:That's wonderful work by Mr. Kamm. How dare Wales liken himself to Edison? He's a nudie website opportunist that co-opted wiki technology for his own personal trademark and set up an encyclopedia-like wiki thing before anybody else did.
And tried to take sole credit for it, pushing Larry Sanger out the door, then trying to rewrite history to make Larry a "non-person".

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm