The Corbett Report

neved
Gregarious
kołdry
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Re: Arbcom's Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman Opportunity

Unread post by neved » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 am

Casliber wrote:What I don't get is folks that don't contribute content really (well, I do...but don't)....
What I don't get is why professionals are loosing their time with Wikipedia. Sooner or later their work will get destroyed by ignorant and uneducated.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 am

Casliber wrote:What I don't get is folks that don't contribute content really (well, I do...but don't)....
I tried to re-organize and add content to an article years ago. It was so hard to find even basic facts about the subject since all the websites that kept coming up in my searches were crediting Wikipedia for the facts. It was Kafkaesque. :confused:

I'm used to writing dry, historical research papers (or "original research" as Wikipedia would say), so writing a tertiary resource as opposed to writing a secondary resource is a very odd experience. One of my professors used to say that "nothing substantially written can ever be unbiased," and that makes Wikipedia an even stranger place to me with its neutral pov. It goes against everything I learned as a history major. Bias isn't necessarily bad as long as you identify it and keep it in mind when analyzing a resource.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Malleus wrote:
Vigilant wrote:He reverted a clerk on the ARBCOM case page after being told not to do so or he would be blocked.
You say that as if it's a bad thing.
It was Roger Davies or Salvio Giuliano pointing out that he's going to swat with a particularly heavy hand and with exceedingly slight consideration to opposing viewpoints any regular editor that edit-wars or moves stuff around on Arbcom-centric pages like the case requests page or the clarification and amendments page. He's saying more deference than usual is owed to arbitrators and clerks on those pages. That's fair enough.

Giano was mad about Gorilla blocking him, and the way she blocked him, and it had been a stressful few days, but he shouldn't have called her an "extremely stupid woman" (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... 3#Rollback) in response. She proved herself smart and appropriately detached by unblocking him a few hours later, after the case had closed. The dust is settling now on Gorman-Corbett case and everyone is calming down.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 pm

The Joy wrote: I tried to re-organize and add content to an article years ago. It was so hard to find even basic facts about the subject since all the websites that kept coming up in my searches were crediting Wikipedia for the facts. It was Kafkaesque.

Him again? That guy is always up to no good.
Dan Murphy's Wikipedia userpage wrote:Blocked editor: "I'm sorry. This is Kafkaesque. It is not disputed that I did not make the edit for which I was blocked."
Administrator: "You say you are Kafkaesque. If you are User:Kafkaesque you need to need to make this unblock request in this (sic) account name."
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 pm

It's depressing that you don't get it it, especially given your profession.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... m_trolling
Random trolling

I can understand that you are upset at being on the losing side, but pleased don't make personal attacks such as this [5]. Normally I would be bothered, but as you profess to liking a high standard of civility and are the first to complain when others make what you perceive to be attacks please try to live by your own standards. Giano 15:21, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

That of course [6] is a further personal attack. You must be careful, Gorilla Warfare and her sidekick will block you. Giano 15:28, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

Actually that is in no way a personal attack. Not to mention users have the right to remove sections on their talk page. -DJSasso (talk) 15:31, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

Whatever Giano. It becomes clear that GorillaWarfare attributed far more good faith in unblocking you so quickly than you deserved, since you continue to edit and revert war every time you don't get your way. But since I am apparently making personal attacks, I will add one more: The real tragedy of this debacle is that several members of Arbcom revealed themselves to be absolute cowards with respect to handling your disruption and trolling. They know it, we know it, and you know it. The longer they allow people like you to behave the way you do, the more they allow drama, disruption, strife and angst to hamper this project. You are a net negative to this project, and the sooner the committee pulls its head out of the sand and realizes that, the better off Wikipedia will be. Resolute 15:39, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
That's pretty non random trolling.
Given that he was just unblocked, I think he should get a good, long rest.
Block Eric Corbett too, just to be sure.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Triptych wrote:It stands for the groundbreaking proposition that any administrator may not character attack and push around any content contributor with utter impugnity and the previously unspoken but understood assurance that he or she is in an elite untouchable club.
What a wonderful word. A cross between impugn and impunity.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Triptych wrote:It stands for the groundbreaking proposition that any administrator may not character attack and push around any content contributor with utter impugnity and the previously unspoken but understood assurance that he or she is in an elite untouchable club.
Blargh! How embarrassing! To own up to it, I think I've misspelled that my entire life. Thank goodness it's been a rarity where I actually wrote the word somewhere. Thank you for calling this important matter to my attention.

PS: you have to admit, they do at least sound the same. ;)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Triptych has the potential to be our Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. The only question is, does he play sorites?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Vigilant wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... m_trolling
Random trolling

I can understand that you are upset at being on the losing side, but pleased don't make personal attacks such as this [5]. Normally I would be bothered, but as you profess to liking a high standard of civility and are the first to complain when others make what you perceive to be attacks please try to live by your own standards. Giano 15:21, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

That of course [6] is a further personal attack. You must be careful, Gorilla Warfare and her sidekick will block you. Giano 15:28, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

Actually that is in no way a personal attack. Not to mention users have the right to remove sections on their talk page. -DJSasso (talk) 15:31, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

Whatever Giano. It becomes clear that GorillaWarfare attributed far more good faith in unblocking you so quickly than you deserved, since you continue to edit and revert war every time you don't get your way. But since I am apparently making personal attacks, I will add one more: The real tragedy of this debacle is that several members of Arbcom revealed themselves to be absolute cowards with respect to handling your disruption and trolling. They know it, we know it, and you know it. The longer they allow people like you to behave the way you do, the more they allow drama, disruption, strife and angst to hamper this project. You are a net negative to this project, and the sooner the committee pulls its head out of the sand and realizes that, the better off Wikipedia will be. Resolute 15:39, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
That's pretty non random trolling.
Given that he was just unblocked, I think he should get a good, long rest.
Block Eric Corbett too, just to be sure.
Even though I, as far as I know, have never seen a photo of Resolute, I bet that Giano would mop the floor with him in a physical showdown.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Having seen a picture of Resolute, I have never seen one of Giano and have no basis for comparison.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Ed thinks Giano and Bishonen look like this;

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 pm

This is what I think they look like.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:43 am

Vigilant wrote:Having seen a picture of Resolute, I have never seen one of Giano and have no basis for comparison.
I'm going by attitude, personality presence, and frame, not physical appearance.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:25 am

Regardless of the merits of the case, I sincerely hope that Arbcom itself takes some time for self reflection on how poorly the committee members handled this entire debacle. At the time this was dragged up from the graveyard, Kevin had already backed off, had been soundly rebuked by several members of the community and had already promised not to repeat his behaviour. So what purpose did Roger Davies' motion serve, other than as an attempt at appeasing Eric? Certainly you have failed to win over any respect from the complainers you sought to appease, and you have lost a considerable amount of respect from segments of the community at large. Your preference to simply bury your head in the sand when it comes to dealing with this group was already bad enough. But now you have shown Eric and Giano that if they throw a temper tantrum, you will cave in a desperate bid just to make it all go away. We all know they will pull this stunt again in the future - who wouldn't repeat what works? So the question, my friends, is whether this was a precedent setting mistake? Are you going to allow yourselves to be manipulated and embarrassed again next time one of them pulls a diva ragequit? And should people who don't have as many friends as the other side expect to get thrown under the bus just so you can say you did something? Resolute 14:31, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
Even though I think Resolute is a giant douche-canoe, he hits the nail on the head here.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:33 am

Cla68 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Having seen a picture of Resolute, I have never seen one of Giano and have no basis for comparison.
I'm going by attitude, personality presence, and frame, not physical appearance.
What do attitude, personality presence, and frame have to do with "I bet that Giano would mop the floor with him in a physical showdown." ?

Are you suggesting that Resolute would be so cowed by Guano's presence that he would fold in upon himself like a defective piece of origami?

Unlikely.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 am

Newyorkbrad wrote:
Triptych wrote:
Newyorkbrad wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Do you believe you are morally superior to all your critics?
No.
We won't criticize you in tandem for much longer at all, Brad, but your statement "I would never, by a mile, compare the importance of some internal Wikipedia dispute to the violent death of a human being" downplayed misleadingly the gravity of what Kevin Gorman did to Eric Corbett, and indeed you sought to puff yourself up at my expense.
[/hide]In other words, Othello III.iii.155. I take your point. Good night.
Quoted by Wyoming Senator Alan Simpson (T-H-L) at the Confirmation Hearings on Clarence Thomas (T-H-L) for the Supreme Court (USA):
IAGO

Oth III.iii.154
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,

Oth III.iii.155
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.

Oth III.iii.156
Who steals my purse, steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;

Oth III.iii.157
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands:

Oth III.iii.158
But he that filches from me my good name

Oth III.iii.159
Robs me of that which not enriches him

Oth III.iii.160.1
And makes me poor indeed.
Endorsing the corruption of Iago might be considered a violation of WP:Competence (T-H-L). Imputing the words of Iago (T-H-L)to another might be considered a violation of WP:Casting aspersions (T-H-L)....
;)
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 am

Peter Damian wrote:
Newyorkbrad wrote:That is a loathesome and despicable lie.
I have PM'd you about this. If we don't hear any more in public from you, we will know it is perhaps not a complete lie.
Peter,

Perhaps you are imputing a universal quantifier (T-H-L) to NYB, which he never claimed.

NYB claims to have fought against bullying for seven years. He did not claim to have fought against all cases of bullying (or even the most severe).
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:NYB claims to have fought against bullying for seven years. He did not claim to have fought against all cases of bullying (or even the most severe).
Yes, he only fights against those bullies who cannot defend themselves, where there is no risk that he will suffer any loss of power or reputation by doing so.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Re: The Corbett Report

Unread post by neved » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:NYB claims to have fought against bullying for seven years. He did not claim to have fought against all cases of bullying (or even the most severe).
Yes, he only fights against those bullies who cannot defend themselves, where there is no risk that he will suffer any loss of power or reputation by doing so.
Exactly. He's a coward, and proved once again he's a coward during the latest case.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:11 pm

neved wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Exactly. He's a coward, and proved once again he's a coward during the latest case.
I understand that bashing Newyorkbrad is fun, but from now on I'd like to see a link to any poor behavior you ascribe to him.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Zoloft wrote:
neved wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
I understand that bashing Newyorkbrad is fun, but from now on I'd like to see a link to any poor behavior you ascribe to him.
You're right to request the links. I hate false accusations. I believe that on Wikipedia false accusations are much worse than personal attacks.

On the other hand with this particular situation the links are not necessary.
Think for yourself. If one silently watches as a person is being bullied and does nothing to help that person, there are no links to the silence, but the behavior is still poor.

But still there are some links too. For example here's the latest.
As all corrupt, dishonest and cowardly members of the arbcom Newyorkbrad is afraid of the truth.
Only, Newyorkbrad, you are mistaking. It is not "banned editor who has done enough damage". It is you and your colleagues from the arbcom, and a few dozens bullies who call themselves "the wikipedia community" who have done and still are doing damage to wikipedia, and you know why? Because you and they treat people inhuman. I know Wikipedia is not fair, but it is also inhuman, Newyorkbrad.
Last edited by neved on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Zoloft wrote:
neved wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... ewyorkbrad

Sorry, it's very long, but if you have the time to sample the timeline in its entirety, it is, in my opinion, a fascinating tale of initial altruism, good intentions and exemplary good deeds, eventually worn down, institutionalised and defeated. Wikipedia'll do that to you if you let it. Whoever you are.

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Jim wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
neved wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... ewyorkbrad

Sorry, it's very long, but if you have the time to sample the timeline in its entirety, it is, in my opinion, a fascinating tale of initial altruism, good intentions and exemplary good deeds, eventually worn down, institutionalised and defeated. Wikipedia'll do that to you if you let it. Whoever you are.
I am not going to look over it, but I know exactly what you mean. I myself observed it more than once. Wikipedia turns human beings into Wikipedians in the worst meaning of the word.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

neved wrote:I am not going to look over it, but I know exactly what you mean. I myself observed it more than once. Wikipedia turns human beings into Wikipedians in the worst meaning of the word.
Heh - I never really intended that anyone could "look over it" from that.
It's more of a comment along the lines of "How do you link to a story like that?"

You can't. When it comes to the "pillars" of the place like Brad, all you're gonna get is the sense that "hey, yeah, took a while, but they digested him, too."
Shame, but that's how I see it - erstwhile voice of reason now no longer prepared, or able, to go the extra mile.

It's not even a criticism, really, there was never any requirement that he be the voice of reason, or do the right thing. He's a volunteer like all the others. That's just what he used to do, to his credit.

But when it stops, or changes, I guess people notice and think "Batman" was staff, and are disappointed that he might have had some of the altruism eroded for the sake of an easier life.

I'm pretty sure I'd have ditched the cape by now too. The environment leaves little option. Too many "Jokers".
Other opinions are available, I'm sure.
Last edited by Jim on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:04 pm

neved wrote:And Eric is back
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =597177411
I wanted to see Gorman desysoped. He hasn't been. I'll reflect on whether an admonishment is a sufficient substitute given his various comments elsewhere. Eric Corbett 04:35, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
except now Eric should request that Kaldari (T-C-L) is desysoped as well over this comment
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =597105322
Admonishing Kevin for a single statement that he has has repeatedly acknowledged as a mistake while taking no action whatsoever against Eric Corbett's deeply offensive behavior (both in publicly belittling the suicide of a Wikipedian and in personally attacking Kevin) is deeply troubling. Is the Arbitration committee now simply the executive arm of the Wikipedia administrator lynch mob? [[User:Kaldari|Kaldari]] ([[User talk:Kaldari|talk]]) 18:53, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
Kaldari seems to have lost his mind, this time. Did the student who killed himself have a connection with the WMF, which might explain the bizarre behavior?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
neved wrote:And Eric is back
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =597177411
I wanted to see Gorman desysoped. He hasn't been. I'll reflect on whether an admonishment is a sufficient substitute given his various comments elsewhere. Eric Corbett 04:35, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
except now Eric should request that Kaldari (T-C-L) is desysoped as well over this comment
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =597105322
Admonishing Kevin for a single statement that he has has repeatedly acknowledged as a mistake while taking no action whatsoever against Eric Corbett's deeply offensive behavior (both in publicly belittling the suicide of a Wikipedian and in personally attacking Kevin) is deeply troubling. Is the Arbitration committee now simply the executive arm of the Wikipedia administrator lynch mob? [[User:Kaldari|Kaldari]] ([[User talk:Kaldari|talk]]) 18:53, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
Kaldari seems to have lost his mind, this time. Did the student who killed himself have a connection with the WMF, which might explain the bizarre behavior?
I don't think Kaldari lost his mind. Although using the word "gravedancing" was probably too strong, and although I disagree with some other statements made by Kevin, but overall I like Kevin's actions more than I like the actions of Eric, Giano and others in this story. They did behave as a lynch mob, and I agree with Kaldari that the Arbitration committee is simply the executive arm of the Wikipedia administrator lynch mob.

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 pm

neved wrote:I don't think Kaldari lost his mind. Although using the word "gravedancing" was probably too strong, and although I disagree with some other statements made by Kevin, but overall I like Kevin's actions more than I like the actions of Eric, Giano and others in this story. They did behave as a lynch mob, and I agree with Kaldari that the Arbitration committee is simply the executive arm of the Wikipedia administrator lynch mob.
Then you're quite seriously in error. I didn't even take part in the case for instance, so in what sense was I part of a lynch mob? As for Kaldari, he lost the plot ages ago.

The lynch mob, if indeed there was one in any real sense, was clearly made up of Gorman, Kaldari and their various supporters, who thought they might have spotted an opportunity for revenge. Which is the kind of problem that nobody seems either to accept or to try and deal with, despite all the pathetic bleating about being "uninvolved" and "COI". Yet it happens on a daily basis at all the usual drama boards.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Zoloft wrote:
neved wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Nobody can fight against every bully all the time. Perhaps we can agree that NYB has opposed bullying many times.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
neved wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Nobody can fight against every bully all the time. Perhaps we can agree that NYB has opposed bullying many times.
Many times? Maybe, but only when he was sure it was safe for himself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Vigilant wrote:Giano ... Guano
Is that a Freudian slip or a deliberate witticism?

Guano (T-H-L)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Poetlister wrote:

Guano (T-H-L)
It started as a typo ('u' being next to 'i').
Too correct to correct.

Bottled_Spider
Critic
Wikipedia User: None
Wikipedia Review Member: Bottled_Spider

Unread post by Bottled_Spider » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 pm

I wonder where he finds the time to be a lawyer? The guy must live on heavily sugared coffee and cake galore. If he doesn't watch out it'll all start to affect him physically, as well as mentally. And morally, etc.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
It's depressing that you don't get it it, especially given your profession.
Yeah, well I get the non-sanguine bits but no doubt discussing that will lead to howls of indignance ...probably more accurately "(well, I do...but don't...but really do if I take a clinical cold-hard-look-but-let's-not-go-there-blah blah blah)

Just reaching for my 10 foot pole now.....

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

Guano (T-H-L)
Too correct to correct.
Good that it takes such a subtle and complex witticism to keep you entertained.....

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 am

WP is never boring. Now Giano is accused of "Apparent anti-female bigotry"
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... le_bigotry
Please see the following comment from Giano, which is directed at administrator GorillaWarfare: "Well I am still rather mystified as to why GorillaWarfare permitted her "friend" to remove my talk page access. I was merely reinstating what she had removed by conflicting; in fact, I am puzzled as to why her friend was there at all, does he always walk two paces behind her? Is she some poor, feeble little woman incapable of acting alone? But then of course she needed a third man to help her place the block, so perhaps she is. Then again, was it a longed for arbcom revenge and they were all fighting amongst themselves to place it? Possibly even, Gorilla's not very good at placing blocks on her own and needs a cluster supporters to assist her in difficult tasks. Whatever, I'm reminded of a beloved aunt, who when arranging flowers, had a butler to hold the vase, a gardener to select and pass her the flowers, a maid to cut the stems, and three friends to admire her handiwork and artistry." (diff)

I realize that Giano is, perhaps somewhat rightfully, unhappy about the events that have transpired during the past few weeks, but these comments have crossed a line. Northern Antarctica (talk) 20:50, 27 February 2014 (UTC)
And GorillaWarfare admits she tweeted about the incident.
Hi all. To answer some of the points above: Yes, the sexist comments bothered me. Yes, I tweeted about it. I'm fed up with my gender being made one of the main points of attack when someone decides to criticize me, and even more fed up with how any man who becomes involved with an on-wiki dispute I'm having is immediately presumed to be either romantically involved with me or "white-knighting" (even here). Am I surprised that this is an issue on Wikipedia? Not at all. I'm used to tech communities being unwelcoming to women. But am I okay with it? Certainly not. I would not have created this AN/I post myself, as I don't think trying to start this discussion as some sort of branch off of the recent ArbCom case/bickering with Giano is wise, but at some point I think it's an issue that should be discussed. GorillaWarfare (talk) 23:52, 27 February 2014 (UTC)
Also this exchange is worth noticing
But why have you decided to try and make an issue of this particular incident by screaming "bigotry"? What about "bigotry" against males, such as you and others like you demonstrate? Eric Corbett 22:43, 27 February 2014 (UTC)

I am a male. Northern Antarctica (talk) 22:45, 27 February 2014 (UTC)

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:52 pm

mac wrote:
19:17, 17 October 2005 Angr (talk | contribs) deleted page Oliver Keyes (content was: '{{db-a7}}Oliver Keyes (1990-?) is the web designer and script writer for the webcomic wired. He is currently studying at the Jonh Lyon School in London (UK....')
Hmm, I wonder what was there?
What indeed?
Deleted revision of 'Oliver Keyes' as of 17 October 2005, at 17:13; CC-BY-SA 3.0 by 80.177.10.254 wrote: Oliver Keyes (1990-?) is the web designer and script writer for the webcomic [[wired]]. He is currently studying at the Jonh Lyon School in London (UK.

Known online simply as "verlesk" (a nickname of his own invention) he is an avid gamer, although not to the point of being heavily involved in online games. He also enjoys online RPG's, and is a member of two clubs, the 3rd Imperium, of which he is a cofounder, and the Dark Angels of the Jensaarai. both are based on the star wars universe.

He is well known for his cynicsm, as well as his dry and sarcastic sense of humour.

The PC he uses for his coding currently has a 120GB SATA Hard Drive, a pair of 2.6Ghz Intel processors and 1024MB of RAM (DDR SDRAM).

== Trivia ==
1)He can code HTML, XML, PHP and ASP, yet has never managed to master CSS.

2)He is a member of the Air Training Corps (ATC) and currently serves with 2236 Sqn

3)His squadron cadet ID is 1651

4)his nicknames over time have been Mouse, Verlesk, Mauser, minimax and Eric
:picard:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Casliber wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

Guano (T-H-L)
Too correct to correct.
Good that it takes such a subtle and complex witticism to keep you entertained.....
We are a simple people, sahib.

We sing...we dance...

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Malleus wrote: just as there's no such thing as a WP community.
So how come there are community bans :blink:

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 pm

neved wrote:
A curious anomoly that makes no sense whatsoever.
Last edited by Malleus on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

Guano (T-H-L)
Too correct to correct.
I'm honestly surprised that you never registered Guano (T-C-L) as an account for mocking him. That seems like your kind of deal.

Don't bother now, it'd be way too obvious. :P
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Hex wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

Guano (T-H-L)
Too correct to correct.
I'm honestly surprised that you never registered Guano (T-C-L) as an account for mocking him. That seems like your kind of deal.

Don't bother now, it'd be way too obvious. :P
Too late. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... ions/Guano
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:46 am

Just to sum it up:

A short post made at Jimbo's talk has resulted in

*at least two discussions on Jimbo's Wales talk page,
*at lest three AN/I threads,
*a request for arbitration,
*a request for clarification and amendment,
* multiple heated discussions on multiple user pages (gigabytes of text that a normal person would have difficulties to read and follow),
*a few arbitrary motions every new one more stupid than the one before,
*a strong admonishment of an admin,
*a deletion request,
*contacting the office,
*multiple conversations at IRC,
*accusations and contra accusations,
*two historic blocks of a member of Wikipedia's higher elite,
*yet another historic retirement of Eric Corbett,
*a tweet about hardship of being a woman Wikipedian, and so on, and so on.
Last edited by neved on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:18 am

neved wrote:
Gang bans.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 pm

The WMF liaison feels that WMF outranks something called "the community". I suspect Whatamidoing (WMF) (T-C-L) meant "communities":
WP:YDOW wrote: The inescapable fact is that you don't own Wikipedia: the Wikimedia Foundation outranks the community.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:27 pm

I think the VisualEditor and Flow debacles have shown the arrogance of the WMF's staff very clearly.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:I think the VisualEditor and Flow debacles have shown the arrogance of the WMF's staff very clearly.
Yeah, but haven't you often found that arrogance and dismissiveness is a defence mechanism that might be rendered unnecessary by a degree of competence and confidence in what one is doing, rather than fear of being out of one's depth, admitted or not? Maybe the real thing to examine is the mechanism that gave these positions to people who can't deliver, making these kinds of responses and debacles inevitable. Counterproductive false economies in recruitment springs to mind as an example. You pay peanuts, you get... Just an observation.

Look at the top. If you see fear of recruitment of someone who may perform better in that position, trickling down through the organisational ethos, you've found the problem. There's no way forward until you lance that boil.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
neved wrote: So how come there are community bans :blink:
Gang bans.
Ha! That's a keeper.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Jim wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:I think the VisualEditor and Flow debacles have shown the arrogance of the WMF's staff very clearly.
Yeah, but haven't you often found that arrogance and dismissiveness is a defence mechanism that might be rendered unnecessary by a degree of competence and confidence in what one is doing, rather than fear of being out of one's depth, admitted or not? Maybe the real thing to examine is the mechanism that gave these positions to people who can't deliver, making these kinds of responses and debacles inevitable. Counterproductive false economies in recruitment springs to mind as an example. You pay peanuts, you get... Just an observation.

Look at the top. If you see fear of recruitment of someone who may perform better in that position, trickling down through the organisational ethos, you've found the problem. There's no way forward until you lance that boil.
Post of the week. Well said.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 am

neved wrote:Just to sum it up:

A short post made at Jimbo's talk has resulted in

*at least two discussions on Jimbo's Wales talk page,
*at lest three AN/I threads,
*a request for arbitration,
*a request for clarification and amendment,
* multiple heated discussions on multiple user pages (gigabytes of text that a normal person would have difficulties to read and follow),
*a few arbitrary motions every new one more stupid than the one before,
*a strong admonishment of an admin,
*a deletion request,
*contacting the office,
*multiple conversations at IRC,
*accusations and contra accusations,
*two historic blocks of a member of Wikipedia's higher elite,
*yet another historic retirement of Eric Corbett,
*a tweet about hardship of being a woman Wikipedian, and so on, and so on.