Political leanings of the average Wikipedian

Johnny Au
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Political leanings of the average Wikipedian

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 am

Using the chart from politicalcompass.org, where would the average Wikipedian fit?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Political leanings of the average Wikipedian

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:58 am

Thank you for not linking to "the chart" -- very helpful (not).

The average Wikipedian would fall just southwest of Gandhi.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:26 am

I would guess socially liberal, economically neutral, perhaps slightly left. So, southeast of Gandhi, southwest of Friedman.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:33 am

In some unknown relation to Hitler.

/drops mic

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:02 pm

The alleged freedom and democracy of the place no doubt attracts libertarians across the spectrum. However, quite a few Wikipedians have an authoritarian streak; they of course are the ones who tend to become abusive admins.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Poetlister wrote:However, quite a few Wikipedians have an authoritarian streak; they of course are the ones who tend to become abusive admins.
I thought we were talking about their perspective on their country's government. If we're talking about their perspective on their WikiGovernment, then yes, that moves them a lot further north on the chart.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Using the chart from politicalcompass.org, where would the average Wikipedian fit?
Given the choice I would assume that the average wikicomedian would chose the "Birthday Party" particularly if there was plenty of Jelly, Ice cream, and carbonated sugary drinks.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 pm

thekohser wrote:
Poetlister wrote:However, quite a few Wikipedians have an authoritarian streak; they of course are the ones who tend to become abusive admins.
I thought we were talking about their perspective on their country's government. If we're talking about their perspective on their WikiGovernment, then yes, that moves them a lot further north on the chart.
I meant that they are the sort of people who would favour an authoritarian regime in their country's government, as long as they themselves had power.

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:16 am

66% crypto-communists, 22% crypto-fascists, 11% crypto-anarchists! :popcorn:

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:21 am

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:
I meant that they are the sort of people who would favour an authoritarian regime in their country's government, as long as they themselves had power.
So would many of us. Twenty-five years ago I might have liked to have run such a regime. Now the job would likely interfere with afternoon naps.

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I think the political leanings of many of the more authoritarian rollbackers and abusive admins can be summed up in two words: Heil Jimbo!

Dennis Brown
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Dennis Brown
Actual Name: Dennis Brown

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 pm

The average Wikipedian is way left of the average American, particularly on social issues but almost as most on economic. It isn't a shocker, considering many in academia are attracted and most small business owners (the source of 2/3rds of US jobs) are not. That said, most are still able to be fair and neutral on most articles. Why they are isn't a matter of politics, and more a matter of the desire to build an encyclopedia. There are a lot of liberal Libertarians, but very few conservative ones there.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” - Douglas Adams
"My patience is formidable.... But it is not infinite." - Scorpius (Farscape)

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Pop culture sections of general interest Wikipedia articles tend to come from media popular with those from the southwest quadrant of the compass.

By extension, TV Tropes's primary political leaning is also from the southwest quadrant of the compass.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 pm

One of the things I find both horrifying and amusing is that when personal pride and point of view come into play at Wikipedia, these largely liberal culture warriors cosplay Kafkaesque totalitarian regimes quite accurately.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Zoloft wrote:One of the things I find both horrifying and amusing is that when personal pride and point of view come into play at Wikipedia, these largely liberal culture warriors cosplay Kafkaesque totalitarian regimes quite accurately.
Alas, that's human nature. Wikipedia is not exactly unique in that respect, although it is possibly more aggressive than some other places.

Ross McPherson
Gregarious

Unread post by Ross McPherson » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:24 pm

What Wikipedians think they think and what they actually think are two different things. We know this because we see how selfish they are within the selfless state of Wikipedia. Of course all good things come round and bite themselves on the arse. Thus the nobility of the altruist becomes the ignobility of the ant. In short, Wikipedians are utopian communists on principle, Stalinists by default, Boris Putins by a natural process of corruption, and finally – easy pickings for whatever other impractical cult comes along. The ultimate truth is - they are just bytes.
Thoroughly impartial

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 pm

Zoloft wrote:One of the things I find both horrifying and amusing is that when personal pride and point of view come into play at Wikipedia, these largely liberal culture warriors cosplay Kafkaesque totalitarian regimes quite accurately.
That's because many of them aren't liberals; they are instead left-leaning radicals, and as such totally predisposed toward totalitarianism.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Poetlister wrote:I meant that they are the sort of people who would favour an authoritarian regime in their country's government, as long as they themselves had power.
Of course. Wikipedia is overpopulated with radicals of all stripes: ideologically-driven individuals who are committed to implementing their view of That Which Is Right, regardless of the cost. That's the hallmark of a radical. Radicals, once they achieve power, become reactionaries: having established a government based on That Which Is Right, any challenge to that government or its ideals is an offense against That Which Must Be and will not be tolerated at all.

Radicals tend to be marginalized in broader society, and Wikipedia (because of its low barriers to entry and prohibitions on investigating the intentions or affiliations of participants) is extremely attractive to radicals, especially since it also gives them a soapbox (rickety though it be) on which to stand and shout out their message.

Keep also in mind that the "Wikipedia Movement" itself is a radical movement, one committed to the abolition of all barriers to the access and free use of "knowledge" generally.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:11 am

True dat.

I recall Kumioko was asked to take the politicalcompass test in his RfA. Somewhat surprisingly, he did. Later, in a discussion about the appropriateness of this question, You Can Act Like A Man (T-C-L), who claimed a score of -9.64 out of 10 on the Libertarian/Authoritarian scale, demanded the questioner be sanctioned!

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:00 am

Smiley wrote:
True dat.

I recall Kumioko was asked to take the politicalcompass test in his RfA. Somewhat surprisingly, he did. Later, in a discussion about the appropriateness of this question, You Can Act Like A Man (T-C-L), who claimed a score of -9.64 out of 10 on the Libertarian/Authoritarian scale, demanded the questioner be sanctioned!
On a related note, anybody notice a distinct lack of awareness of irony among Wikipedians? So much so that, if you point out irony to them, they'll call you a troll and block you?

Ross McPherson
Gregarious

Unread post by Ross McPherson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:14 am

MysteriousStranger wrote:On a related note, anybody notice a distinct lack of awareness of irony among Wikipedians? So much so that, if you point out irony to them, they'll call you a troll and block you?
A confused environment is no place for irony. Or, to put it another way, an arch look means nothing in a dark lane.
Thoroughly impartial