Wikiconference USA - May 30 to June 1, 2014

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Wikiconference USA - May 30 to June 1, 2014

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed May 28, 2014 2:32 pm

thekohser wrote:
Triptych wrote:Have you indicated to them that you're willing to participate on the panel?
Of course, in multiple venues.

P.S. I am not "aggravated"; rather, "amused" by their lack of transparency in executing what appears to be political machinations.
You misspelled "competence" as "transparency".

HTH
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:52 pm

thekohser wrote:I've searched the WikiConference page histories, and I see zero evidence that this was a planned event "from the start".
David has a longstanding interest in countering promotional material on Wikipedia, so it doesn't strike me as implausible. Given the current terms-of-use discussions, it would have been more surprising if they hadn't planned to discuss it.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 28, 2014 3:02 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
thekohser wrote:I've searched the WikiConference page histories, and I see zero evidence that this was a planned event "from the start".
David has a longstanding interest in countering promotional material on Wikipedia, so it doesn't strike me as implausible. Given the current terms-of-use discussions, it would have been more surprising if they hadn't planned to discuss it.
Why did they reject the only on-time submission that covered paid editing, which received multiple "Interested" parties, in favor of a supposedly "planned all along, we just didn't document it in any way" panel on the same subject, where the sponsor of the on-time submission with multiple interest wasn't even contacted?

Note: There was one other submission about paid editing, "Why paid editing is a really bad idea", but it was entered on April 7th, which was after the March 31st deadline, which had been extended only on April 6th to April 15th. This submission received no interest from attendees.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:28 pm

thekohser wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
Why did they reject the only on-time submission that covered paid editing, which received multiple "Interested" parties, in favor of a supposedly "planned all along, we just didn't document it in any way" panel on the same subject, where the sponsor of the on-time submission with multiple interest wasn't even contacted?

Note: There was one other submission about paid editing, "Why paid editing is a really bad idea", but it was entered on April 7th, which was after the March 31st deadline, which had been extended only on April 6th to April 15th. This submission received no interest from attendees.
I was going to say because they're not considering you part of their "community"; but then I saw that their press release contains the following:
Who Should Attend?

WikiConference USA is open to all participants, regardless of previous level of involvement with
Wikipedia or the Wikimedia projects. We welcome the curious, the skeptical, and others wishing
to engage in meaningful conversation about the Wikimedia movement in the United States
, free
culture and digital rights, advocacy and outreach, community building, and technology.

Submit a Session

WikiConference USA encourages potential attendees to get involved by submitting proposals
for conference sessions. We invite you to submit a proposal to lead a session at
WikiConference USA!
So, given how it's billed, poor show, and you're right to feel aggrieved.

More to the point, they have missed out on an opportunity to escape their echo chamber, demonstrate openness, and actually have a discussion with a sceptic.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Triptych wrote:
thekohser wrote:David Goodman responds to my inquiry about the origin of the "Paid Editing panel" that appeared on the conference calendar about one month after outside submissions were closed.
Dear Greg,

The panel is not an outside submission, but a planned event at the conference from the start. It is listed as a submission to facilitate scheduling. The two of us are the ones organizing it.

Dorothy Howard and David Goodman

--
David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

DGG on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Wikipedian-in-Residence,
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
I've searched the WikiConference page histories, and I see zero evidence that this was a planned event "from the start".
It looks funny, and it seems strangely late for Dorothy and David to get around to the organizing of it, and it's proved an understandable frustration to you. But no sense being further aggravated. Have you indicated to them that you're willing to participate on the panel?
You hve to ask yourself, If DGG/David Goodman has a Ph.D and M.L.S. why are they the Wikipedian in Residence at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts? It seems a little unprestigious for someone with those credentials if you ask me.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Kumioko wrote:You hve to ask yourself, If DGG/David Goodman has a Ph.D and M.L.S. why are they the Wikipedian in Residence at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts? It seems a little unprestigious for someone with those credentials if you ask me.
I know people with PhDs who work at Applebee's, and people with MLS degrees who are unemployed. Neither credential is all that "prestigious".

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 28, 2014 9:38 pm

So, I have my train ticket and a hotel booked. I'll be at the WikiConference in the mid-afternoon on Friday. I've actually parlayed my attendance into a paid gig as a freelance reporter. I'd be able to have dinner with any fellow Wikipediocracy folks. Is anyone else planning to attend on Friday afternoon/evening?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 am

thekohser wrote:So, I have my train ticket and a hotel booked. I'll be at the WikiConference in the mid-afternoon on Friday. I've actually parlayed my attendance into a paid gig as a freelance reporter.
Don't forget to point out to Goodman how much successful paid editing there is on his "magic project"....

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Okay, this just got certifiably deranged. Received by e-mail less than 30 minutes ago from Ira Brad Matetsky:
Dear Greg:

The organizers of Wikiconference USA 2014 have determined that based on a number of considerations, you are not invited to attend the conference. Your name has been removed from the list of registered attendees and will not be included on the list of attendees being provided to the venue.

Please note that this is not any one individual's decision but a group decision, for which I am acting as messenger/scrivener. The decision is final and is not subject to reconsideration or appeal.

Sincerely,
Ira Brad Matetsky
(User:Newyorkbrad)
For: Wikiconference USA 2014 committee
I hope they'll refund my train ticket and my hotel room.

Further confirmation on WikiConference site. If you're wondering what was the "Intimidating behavior/harassment", it was apparently this final edit of mine.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 29, 2014 8:40 pm

thekohser wrote:Okay, this just got certifiably deranged. Received by e-mail less than 30 minutes ago from Ira Brad Matetsky:
Dear Greg:

The organizers of Wikiconference USA 2014 have determined that based on a number of considerations, you are not invited to attend the conference. Your name has been removed from the list of registered attendees and will not be included on the list of attendees being provided to the venue.

Please note that this is not any one individual's decision but a group decision, for which I am acting as messenger/scrivener. The decision is final and is not subject to reconsideration or appeal.

Sincerely,
Ira Brad Matetsky

Further confirmation on WikiConference site. If you're wondering what was the "Intimidating behavior/harassment", it was apparently this final edit of mine.
Small claims court.

What a bunch of chickenshits.

Hey Wil,
How's that for some free speech?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 pm

thekohser wrote:Okay, this just got certifiably deranged. Received by e-mail less than 30 minutes ago from Ira Brad Matetsky:
Dear Greg:

Sincerely,
Ira Brad Matetsky

Brad is a certified douchebag and that is my decision, not that of any group for which I am acting as messenger or scrivener.

Kohser, I hesitate to suggest anything to you because except in spirit you're probably going to be on your own, but you could possibly crash Wikiconference 2014. It's not against the law to crash a party. What the organizers have said at the website include "[t]his conference is open to everyone" and "[w]e ask that attendees register in advance to facilitate planning." (http://wikiconferenceusa.org/wiki/FAQ#W ... nce_USA.3F.) That second part is of course framed as request, not requirement.

Crashing is not crime.

Do you know what Ustream.tv is? You can do a livestream from your cellphone if you have a decent connection. I've never done it but I've seen it done, often, and under action conditions. Ustream.tv says here (http://www.ustream.tv/blog/2013/11/06/l ... or-tablet/) on Iphone or Android. Livestreaming is the avante garde. If you livestream I will liveblog you at Wikipediocracy. I have a good connection right now, I think I can technically do it.

Tie a piece of string around your finger to remind yourself what not to do if someone puts an hand on you at the entrance or says "you shall not pass."
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 pm

http://wikiconferenceusa.org/wiki/Organizing_Team
http://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Home
http://wikimediadc.org/wiki/Home

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ase_v1.pdf

File in small claims in the most inconvenient venue for them.
Serve them all.
$2000/each.
Figure 10 targets = $500 in filing fees.

There will turn out to be minors involved. Serve their legal guardians.
Use the subpoena power of the court to compel them to disgorge all notes, emails, documents, etc, etc where they discuss this conference.
Use the subpoena power to compel the WMF to turn over all of their documents plus targets' wiki-mails in relation to the above.

None will show up.
Default judgements.
Wage garnishment.
Police and sheriffs in their localities will serve banks and impound accounts for a smallish fee.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri May 30, 2014 12:51 am

Vigilant wrote:File in small claims in the most inconvenient venue for them.
I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like you don't understand how state courts (don't) have jurisdiction over out-of-state defendants.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 30, 2014 1:02 am

thekohser wrote:
Vigilant wrote:File in small claims in the most inconvenient venue for them.
I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like you don't understand how state courts (don't) have jurisdiction over out-of-state defendants.
They are required to respond.
Almost none do.
They probably would in this case.

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:27 am

Just let it go.

These are all variations of the old civility trick so beloved of the AN/I crowd. Pull passive-aggressive stuff, watch your opponent fly off the handle, and profit. Be smart, don't fall for it.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 am

HRIP7 wrote:Just let it go.

These are all variations of the old civility trick so beloved of the AN/I crowd. Pull passive-aggressive stuff, watch your opponent fly off the handle, and profit. Be smart, don't fall for it.
Just another sign that wikipediots aren't very professional even in formal settings.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 am

thekohser wrote:I hope they'll refund my train ticket and my hotel room.
Vigilant is right. You could sue the organizers, and even Matetsky himself, in small claims, in your jurisdiction.
Nonsense, they were probably arguing about letting you in, someone raised hell/made threats to keep you out, and the rest finally decided you were a "disruptive person". Save copies of everything and publish it on your wiki, then Ira and co. can't claim it never happened (which is likely to be their next trick).

MZMcBride
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MZMcBride
Wikipedia Review Member: MZMcBride

Unread post by MZMcBride » Fri May 30, 2014 4:11 am

A few days ago one of the conference organizers e-mailed everyone registered for the conference using the "To" field instead of "BCC". Wow that was a bad move. The resulting e-mails have been insane.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri May 30, 2014 1:11 pm

MZMcBride wrote:A few days ago one of the conference organizers e-mailed everyone registered for the conference using the "To" field instead of "BCC". Wow that was a bad move. The resulting e-mails have been insane.
Yes, one of the anticipated attendees, a 41-year-old woman, thought it appropriate to reply to all with most of her personal data, asking the conference organizers to provide her an Enrollment Verification Certificate, to submit to her college (for academic credit or travel cost reimbursement, I suppose). She gave her birthdate, home address, several phone numbers, her driver's license number, social security number, and more. At least 50 people were on the e-mail. And she sent it twice.

For all the trouble that most Wikipediots take to disguise their identity, some are just too dim for their own good, maybe.

Meanwhile, Kirill Lokshin is working on the "cover our asses" process -- the very morning the conference starts. Maybe they got wind of the fact that I've discussed with two different attorneys (one in New York, the other in the District of Columbia) about tortious interference.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Fri May 30, 2014 1:32 pm

thekohser wrote:
MZMcBride wrote:A few days ago one of the conference organizers e-mailed everyone registered for the conference using the "To" field instead of "BCC". Wow that was a bad move. The resulting e-mails have been insane.
Yes, one of the anticipated attendees, a 41-year-old woman, thought it appropriate to reply to all with most of her personal data, asking the conference organizers to provide her an Enrollment Verification Certificate, to submit to her college (for academic credit or travel cost reimbursement, I suppose). She gave her birthdate, home address, several phone numbers, her driver's license number, social security number, and more. At least 50 people were on the e-mail. And she sent it twice.

For all the trouble that most Wikipediots take to disguise their identity, some are just too dim for their own good, maybe.

Meanwhile, Kirill Lokshin is working on the "cover our asses" process -- the very morning the conference starts. Maybe they got wind of the fact that I've discussed with two different attorneys (one in New York, the other in the District of Columbia) about tortious interference.
Were Dante alive today, he would have considered another level of hell for people who think that "friendly space policies" are a worthwhile thing.
-----------
Notvelty

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri May 30, 2014 8:58 pm

They're Tweetin' up a storm at #wikiconusa.

Why do I feel Wiki-conned?

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri May 30, 2014 10:24 pm

thekohser wrote:They're Tweetin' up a storm at #wikiconusa.

Why do I feel Wiki-conned?
What would they do to you if you did go? Especially if you go with a Daily Dot journalist recording along side you?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat May 31, 2014 2:09 am

The Joy wrote:What would they do to you if you did go?

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm

It seems to me that a conference cosponsored by the New York Law School should meet certain minimum standards regarding civility and academic freedom to explore alternative viewpoints. The sponsors: Consumer Reports, Institute for Information Law & Policy at the New York Law School, and the City University of New York Libraries have had their professional reputations tarnished by the abrupt last-minute dis-invitation of Greg to the WikiConference USA.

What would people think of sharing their disappointment with:
James A. Guest, President and CEO
CONSUMERS UNION OF UNITED STATES, INC.
101 Truman Ave, Yonkers, NY 10703
(914) 378-4309
This breach has compromised your role as "an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves."
Anthony Crowell, Dean and President
New York Law School
185 W Broadway, New York, NY 10013
T: 212.431.2840
E: anthony.crowell@nyls.edu
The Law School has a compelling interest in free inquiry and the collective search for knowledge and thus recognizes principles of academic freedom as a special area of protected speech.
link

Curtis Kendrick, University Dean for Libraries and Information Resources
The City University of New York
Office of Academic Affairs
205 East 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017
curtis.kendrick@cuny.edu
tel: 646-664-8035
fax: 646-664-2958
As a university that prides itself on diversity and access to opportunity, we hold in the highest regard policies and principles that guarantee an open and tolerant academic exchange. That exchange is vigorously protected and defended.
link

For a serious writer and researcher to submit a presentation proposal to a conference which is open to the general public, to register to attend, to offer to participate in a panel discussion and to have them politely declined and then to tell him that his registration was cancelled and he would not be allowed to attend is shocking and indefensible.

It appears that there was no concern for disruption, but rather since the conference included "lightning talks" where any attendee could make a five-minute presentation, this was an effort to prevent even such a brief presentation of an opposing view.link However, I have no knowledge as to whether Greg had proposed to give a 5-minute lightning talk.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Dear Greg:

Sincerely,
Ira Brad Matetsky

Wil, and everybody else, who is still able to edit wikipedia, why don't you ask mr. Ira Brad Matetsky publicly on his wikipedia talk page who exactly voted to bar Greg from that conference, and what was their rationale. I am personally getting sick and tired of their inquisition style secret tribunals, in which even defendants are not allowed to participate. Their co-founder arguing for freedom of information all the time. Isn't it about time to apply it to his own site? It should be done not for Greg, but rather for yourself, if you want to claim self-respect.
Last edited by neved on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:50 pm

The Wikiconference USA "friendly place policy" underwent quite a strange evolution. It started out as the NYC Chapter policy, and the conference website linked to the NYC policy. Bluerasberry (Wikipedian-in-Residence at Consumers Union) then modified the NYC policy on March 10, 2014, noting in the edit summary "organizers are untrained volunteers - they cannot assume or promise contractual responsibility for policy enforcement...". link

The PDF of the Conference Friendly Place Policy does not reflect these changes, and was posted much later apparently by Kirill. However, neither policy provides for banning registered conference attendees prior to the start of the conference or for banning without evidence of intent to harass.

The most troublesome aspect of NewYorkBrad's email to Greg giving notice of the ban is the failure to state any basis or reason for the ban.
Last edited by eagle on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:37 pm

neved wrote:
Dear Greg:

Sincerely,
Ira Brad Matetsky

Wil, and everybody else, who is still able to edit wikipedia, why don't you ask mr. Ira Brad Matetsky publicly on his wikipedia talk page who exactly voted to bar Greg from that conference, and what was their rationale.
I think someone will ask for the reason for banning Greg, within the next 48 hours.

The conference is ending just about now (if I have calculated the time-difference correctly), and it would have been nice to see someone who attended it asking the question.

But as eagle and other have mentioned: not to give a reason, and to ban Greg at such a late date is not acceptable behaviour, IMO.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 am

Eagle's suggestion above, to encourage a letter-writing campaign to the sponsors, letting them know how you feel about my having been banned from the conference only 18 hours before it started, would be one of the most touching things done for me in the past four or five years, I think. I'm not saying it would do a bit of good, but I would be moved.

Abd
Retired
Wikipedia User: Abd
Wikipedia Review Member: Abd

Unread post by Abd » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:30 am

Dear Greg:

Sincerely,
Ira Brad Matetsky
My impression is that a lawyer would tell you that it's not worth suing them, but that you could if you care enough. These people conducted business in New York, and are therefore subject to New York law. Many of them are New York residents, apparently. You were planning on attending a conference advertised as public, and for no offense, it appears, you were told you would not be admitted. There was plenty of discussion where you could have been told. Maybe they were toying with you, but I don't think so. I think they are stupid (or burned-out), with a touch of vicious and incompetent, that's all. Newyorkbrad should know better, but obviously doesn't.
No, they were looking for an excuse. Looking around the web site, you were blocked by Pharos, you have the honor of being the only user blocked on that wiki.

No vandals, no spammers, and nobody blocked for anything, except Thekohser, blocked for (Intimidating behavior/harassment), with no warning, and no explanation.

Pharos' Wikipedia log of block actions. This is a Wikipedia admin who rarely blocks. Lives in New York, apparently. It would be fun to file interrogatories, why he suddenly took this action.

Pharos is admin on meta since 2009, hasn't blocked anyone there.

Apparent is that any criticism, even mild, as Greg's was, is considered "intimidating behavior/harassment."

It would be fascinating if they were to find out what actual legal compulsion feels like.

(I.e, a demand for legal response. I would rather be criticized roundly, by far, much more seriously than anything Greg wrote, than face that pile of paper and concerns, a notice of action and interrogatories relating to it. The WMF officially claims that with legal compulsion they will break anonymity and turn over records. So who is testing this?)

I've written interrogatories, but they were designed to show that the defense had teeth and to encourage a plaintiff to settle. They settled.

It's a long way from Ward Cunningham and the first wikis!

Perhaps someone should tell Pharos that it is intimidating harassment to block without warning.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:37 am

If I'm Kohs, I'm going to that fucking show, just because.

tim
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:43 pm

According to his Twitter feed, Kevin Gorman missed his 8 AM flight out of New York this morning. Either those Wikipedians partied too hard on Sunday night, celebrating their ban of the Big Bad Troll, or Kevin's recent head injury is still weighing heavy on his sense of temporal awareness.

Kevin Gorman says, "Ouch! That boo-boo on my noggin' is still throbbin'!"

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 pm

By the way, I heard one reaction from a reporter who was actually at the WikiConference, hoping to cover the PR and paid editing sessions:

"The level of comment was so low it was almost uncoverable. It's the blind leading the blind."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Greg —

Did you take a financial loss on tickets, etc. as a result of the unexplained 11th hour ban by conference organizers?

Please provide exact details (perhaps with jpg illustrations) if you did.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

thekohser wrote:According to his Twitter feed, Kevin Gorman missed his 8 AM flight out of New York this morning.
Mr. Gorman indirectly admits that WMF paid for, at least, his round-trip airfare from California to New York and back. He says in response to Kohser's question on the point: "open scholarship program advertised for months to cover travel to ensure those interested could attend."

"Scholarship." Oh, right... That's not the word I'd choose for the expenditure of charity dollars for the fun-time NYC visits of its administrative class.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Triptych wrote:
thekohser wrote:According to his Twitter feed, Kevin Gorman missed his 8 AM flight out of New York this morning.
Mr. Gorman indirectly admits that WMF paid for, at least, his round-trip airfare from California to New York and back. He says in response to Kohser's question on the point: "open scholarship program advertised for months to cover travel to ensure those interested could attend."

"Scholarship." Oh, right... That's not the word I'd choose for the expenditure of charity dollars for the fun-time NYC visits of its administrative class.
Yeah this is exactly the type of chickenshit bully tactics the admins and arbs use to get their way. Sure they might say it in writing like its a nice little thing, but they are just as corrupt as any politician and are just so impressed with themsleves and their own POV that they wouldn't even know what is good for the project anymore. If they don't take the project seriously or its own rules and policy then how do they expect anyone else too? Its no wonder Wikipedia is so disfunctional and has so many vandals and trolls.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Triptych wrote:Mr. Gorman indirectly admits that WMF paid for, at least, his round-trip airfare from California to New York and back. He says in response to Kohser's question on the point: "open scholarship program advertised for months to cover travel to ensure those interested could attend."

There was an openly announced program to cover the cost of attendees. link The Committee to select who should receive those funds was chaired by Kirill Lokshin (T-C-L), who would rather control this aspect than get dirty picking from among presenters on the Program Committee. Wikimania 2012 followed a similar pattern.

They developed an interesting set of criteria to spread the money among long-time wikipedia editors and people from outside Wikipedia who claim a "very strong desire to be involved with the Wikimedia movement going forward."

I believe that if one conducts a conference which is suppose to address the entire USA, one should make it possible for the audience and presenters to have geographic diversity. So spending some of the conference budget on travel is reasonable. The idea of "scholarship" is that it is tied to financial need of the applicant, not that the recipient is a true scholar.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Greg —

Did you take a financial loss on tickets, etc. as a result of the unexplained 11th hour ban by conference organizers?

RfB
Fortunately, I was not assessed with a $120 penalty on my hotel reservation, because I was able to cancel it two hours ahead of the 6:00 PM penalty deadline being triggered.

Regarding Amtrak, though, I was unable to receive a full refund on my coach ticket, although the net loss was negligible ($5.30). I would still like the organizers of the WikiConference USA to reimburse me for that $5.30, though.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Good luck with that

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:20 pm

eagle wrote:So spending some of the conference budget on travel is reasonable. The idea of "scholarship" is that it is tied to financial need of the applicant, not that the recipient is a true scholar.
Eagle, what is the basis for your viewpoint here that there was a financial-need-based element to those Wikiconference USA attendees that were gifted with charity dollars? The application form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VAXyVv ... w/viewform) said nothing about that.

The form says that those in that car on the WMF gravy train got those insiders "round-trip travel, accommodations, and some daily living expenses."

Mr. Gorman is the so-far five-year attendee at Berkeley University on a four-year degree program that was getting benefits there somehow because his father was in the military many years ago. It seem to me this is just another "SCORE!!" for him, but I'm happy to be corrected if you really know any better.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:25 pm

thekohser wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Greg —

RfB
Fortunately, I was not assessed with a $120 penalty on my hotel reservation, because I was able to cancel it two hours ahead of the 6:00 PM penalty deadline being triggered.

Regarding Amtrak, though, I was unable to receive a full refund on my coach ticket, although the net loss was negligible ($5.30). I would still like the organizers of the WikiConference USA to reimburse me for that $5.30, though.
On the one hand, I'm pleased you didn't get hosed.

On the other, the amount is so small that actively pursuing reimbursement (as you should have done for any significant amount) is apt to come off sounding petty.

I'd still submit a bill for $5.30, myself. Then again, I would have went in spite of being "banned" from the event and wrote about my experience — but I'm just kind of an asshole that way...

tim

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Thekohser has already mentioned this press release:

PR Tackles Wikipedia (or tries to)
O'Dwyer's PR News, 2 June 2014 link

This has just popped up:

PR, Wikipedia Hash Things Out
O'Dwyer's PR News, 2 June 2014 link
The tense relationship between the PR and Wiki communities ranked front and center at the first national WikiConference USA held May 30-June 1 at New York Law School in Manhattan’s Tribeca neighborhood. Wikipedians agree that PR firms have the right to correct factual errors posted on the “free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.” A Wikipedian said the idea that “PR people are never to darken the door of Widipedia” is long gone, remarking ‘that ship has long sailed.” Many in the audience at two May 30 sessions however were deeply skeptical about PR input. They believe agencies are more interested in planting “shameful plugs” on the site to burnish client image, rather than pursuing truth, justice and the Wiki way. Some snickered at the suggestion that PR firms are only trying to :do the right thing.:

Tough Call

Wikipedia's David Goodman told the audience "no sharp boundary" exists to determine the difference between truth and puffery. He defined a promotional post as one that tells readers “what a client wants them to know” about their goods or services offerings. That contrasts, in Goodman’s mind, to an encyclopedic article that informs people about “what they want to know.” William Beutler, a Wiki editor who runs Beutler Ink content marketing shop in DC, organized and served on the panel called “How the PR Industry Views Wikipedia.” His four-year-old boutique shop works with companies and brands to help get stories earn approval by Wikipedia’s editors. Burson-Marsteller is among PR firms to use Beutler Ink for counsel on navigating Wiki’s stringent guidelines, protocols and best practices standards.

B-M Out of Wiki Editing Business

Michael Bassik, who ran B-M's digital operations before moving to Miles Nadal's MDC Partners, said he ended the WPP unit's past practice of editing Wiki entries of clients. In his view, the vast majority of PR people are unaware of Wiki’s protocols, believing they are making harmless changes to the encyclopedia. After seeing B-M staffers across the street from its New York headquarters editing Wiki posts, Bassik ordered the hands-off policy. Those on-the-street editors got him wondering what Wiki additions/subtractions were Burson people making in offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Jeddah, Bangalore, Beijing, Tokyo and Sydney.

Friendly, space policy'

Conference press materials included a sheet providing an overview of Wiki's "friendly space policy." Organizers were “dedicated to providing a harassment-free event experience for everyone, regardless of gender identity or expression, age, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion or preferred Creative Commons license (and not limited to those aspects.)" Violators "may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference at the discretion of the event organizers," according to the hand-out. Wiki also defined harassment as “non-contextual display of sexual images, deliberate intimidation, stalking, unwelcome following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.” Rule-breakers might receive a "private warning" asking for a change in behavior. Organizers with help, if necessary, from NYLS staff or the NYPD, promised to eject serious transgressors. Meetings attended by O'Dwyer staffers went off without a hitch.
Paid editors Andrew Lih, William Beutler and Michael Bassik
former Living Person

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Wikicadres wrote: Friendly Space Policy

Overview

WikiConference USA is dedicated to providing a harassment-free event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or preferred Creative Commons license (and not limited to those aspects). We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. This kind of behavior is not appropriate for WikiConference USA. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference at the discretion of the event organizers.

We expect participants to follow these policies at all event venues and related social events.

Definition of Harassment

Harassment includes, but shall not be limited to, offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, political affiliation, or religion.

Harassment also includes the non-contextual display of sexual images, deliberate intimidation, stalking, unwelcome following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.

Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.

Corrective Action

Conference Organizers are responsible for ensuring this policy is followed. If any Conference Organizer is concerned about the conduct of an individual, or receive a complaint, he or she will take action appropriate to the situation. In some cases this might be a private warning to the person concerned asking them to change their behavior. In more serious cases, it may be necessary to ask someone to leave. If necessary, Conference Organizers will involve the staff of the venue where the event is being held, or the police. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a Conference Organizer or member of event staff immediately.

Conference Organizers and event staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event.

Any concerns with the implementation of this policy should be raised with the Conference Director in the first instance.
• Adhere to the Friendly Space Policy! •

RfB

link
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:51 pm

thekohser wrote:According to his Twitter feed, Kevin Gorman missed his 8 AM flight out of New York this morning. Either those Wikipedians partied too hard on Sunday night, celebrating their ban of the Big Bad Troll, or Kevin's recent head injury is still weighing heavy on his sense of temporal awareness.

Kevin Gorman says, "Ouch! That boo-boo on my noggin' is still throbbin'!"
Poor Kevin,
He's already unemployable and he doesn't even realize it.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Vigilant wrote: Poor Kevin,
He's already unemployable and he doesn't even realize it.

Now, now, Vigilant... He is a Wikipedian living in the Bay Area. He's a cabalista, judging by his treatment of Greg Kohs. WMF fundraising is up like 35% this year...

Ye of little faith...

RfB

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Triptych wrote:Eagle, what is the basis for your viewpoint here that there was a financial-need-based element to those Wikiconference USA attendees that were gifted with charity dollars? The application form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VAXyVv ... w/viewform) said nothing about that.

The form says that those in that car on the WMF gravy train got those insiders "round-trip travel, accommodations, and some daily living expenses."

Mr. Gorman is the so-far five-year attendee at Berkeley University on a four-year degree program that was getting benefits there somehow because his father was in the military many years ago. It seem to me this is just another "SCORE!!" for him, but I'm happy to be corrected if you really know any better.
Triptych, I appreciate the question and the point that you are raising.

There is a big difference between the scholarship program for this year's conference and Wikimania 2012. I was actively involved in winning the bid and organizing Wikimania 2012, but did not play a role in this year's conference. Both conferences served to energize Wikipedia editors throughout the USA. Both conferences were primarily funded by grants from WMF. The NY and DC Chapters have little independent income and their dues revenues are nominal. link Both conferences managed to attract other sponsors.

Both conferences applied similar scholarship criteria link and link but Wikimania 2012 has an international diversity quota. The people selecting scholarship recipients were more local this year, while in 2012 the team was headed by Sage Ross (WMF) (T-C-L) and included Wikinsiders Angela Beesley and Ting Chen. link While the work of both committees were largely subjective, and you stood a better chance of getting money if you had "friends", the local organizing Chapter did not really play a role in the 2012 scholarship, while Kirill Lokshin (T-C-L) played the major role this time.

Most academic or policy conferences that I have attended put their travel funds into paying the speakers or presenters. Both Wikimania and Wikiconference USA put travel funds toward the scholarships to promote a diverse audience. However, Wikimania did pay for a large number of WMF Staff to attend and also offered large honoraria to Mary Gardiner, Co-founder, Ada Initiative for delivering the keynote speech. Her selection was dictated by Sue Gardner and other WMF insiders. (I personally thought that we could have done much better.) This year's conference did not incur such costs.

As to your final point, it is possible that some Movement volunteer would view an expense-paid trip to NYC as a reward for services rendered and for loyality to the cult. But, that is an unavoidable side effect of providing financial aid to attend. Certainly students and basement dwellers generally lack the resources to travel to conferences, so scholarships are a necessary part of attracting a geographically-diverse set of participants. Middle-aged men with resources (Donald Trump, Michael Bloomberg, Greg Kohs...) generally did not receive scholarships, but none of them applied for one.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:36 am

eagle wrote:As to your final point, it is possible that some Movement volunteer would view an expense-paid trip to NYC as a reward for services rendered and for loyality to the cult. But, that is an unavoidable side effect of providing financial aid to attend. Certainly students and basement dwellers generally lack the resources to travel to conferences, so scholarships are a necessary part of attracting a geographically-diverse set of participants.
And that's not who is getting the travel expenses paid and the scholarships. The money is going to their little IRC buddies.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:49 am

eagle wrote:There is a big difference between the scholarship program for this year's conference and Wikimania 2012. I was actively involved in winning the bid and organizing Wikimania 2012, but did not play a role in this year's conference. Both conferences served to energize Wikipedia editors throughout the USA. Both conferences were primarily funded by grants from WMF.

As to your final point, it is possible that some Movement volunteer would view an expense-paid trip to NYC as a reward for services rendered and for loyality to the cult. But, that is an unavoidable side effect of providing financial aid to attend. Certainly students and basement dwellers generally lack the resources to travel to conferences, so scholarships are a necessary part of attracting a geographically-diverse set of participants. Middle-aged men with resources (Donald Trump, Michael Bloomberg, Greg Kohs...) generally did not receive scholarships, but none of them applied for one.
Eagle, you are wrong, at least regarding the middle-aged men part. Wikimania 2012 gave the moolah-babba-loolah to Beeblebrox who was like 41. Was he "energized" after that? Yeah, he's energized to work on his "fuck off" essay, block more content contributors, and chill on IRC with Lokshin and the rest of the inside administrative crowd doling out charity cash hand over fist to each other. I'm sure there's plenty more cash recipients just like him in there, this stuff should be disclosed.

The central achievement cited by Beeblebrox in his successful run for Arbcom was that he has blocked 2600 editors. Why wouldn't an organizer like you get him that good travel, accommodations, and incidentals pay-off for his Washington DC visit? ;)

Oh, and I'm sure Kohser enjoys you lumping him in there with Trump and Bloomberg.

Abd
Retired
Wikipedia User: Abd
Wikipedia Review Member: Abd

Unread post by Abd » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Triptych wrote:
eagle wrote:Certainly students and basement dwellers generally lack the resources to travel to conferences, so scholarships are a necessary part of attracting a geographically-diverse set of participants.
Nonsense. There is a far better way, called "travel equalization," it's what Alcoholics Anonymous uses for the World Service Conference. Expenses are paid, not by the AA General Service Office, but by Area organizations, and that is part of the design of AA, what made it so spectacularly successful in its field. All Areas, no matter where located, pay the same conference registration, and then the GSO distributes this money to pay travel expenses.

Basement dwellers? We want to encourage basement dwellers to maintain and control the encyclopedia projects? Nothing against dwelling in a basement, but it's not exactly a mark of maturity and sanity.
The central achievement cited by Beeblebrox in his successful run for Arbcom was that he has blocked 2600 editors. Why wouldn't an organizer like you get him that good travel, accommodations, and incidentals pay-off for his Washington DC visit? ;)
A mere 2600 editors? And merely "blocked"?

I just checked the global account log for Billinghurst. Almost all global account actions are locks, which is far, far more a "fuck you" than a mere block. 5000 global account actions took me back to 14:18, 23 September 2013. 5000 more to 11:40, 14 July 2013. 5000 more to 20:55, 7 November 2012. Loading 5000 more took me back to his first global lock, where he locked his own account. Twice. 13:10, 28 February 2012.

So he has locked approaching 20,000 accounts. In a little more than two years. This is what I was studying in the deleted pages on meta. Almost all these locks could be justified, I'm sure. Most of the locked accounts, at least of late, show no edits. That could be coming in two ways: checkuser, either locally where he has the privilege, or on loginwiki, likewise, so he sees a pattern of registrations indicating spambot, (or manual registrations that are called "spambot.), or, alternatively, one or more of linked registrations have triggered an edit filter, and the edit was rejected by the filter.

Is this response to spambots deterring the spammers? Apparently not. Here is the problem I see. That vast flood of locks covers up the few abusive locks. Nobody watches. There is a far better way, beginning with global account blocking. That tool has been stated as desirable for years, but it's obviously not getting priority. Why not? Global locking *sucks*. In the 5000 lock study that I'd compiled, there were several uncovered locks in error, of ordinary editors. It took as much as months for this to be discovered and corrected. The user doesn't get any message as to why and by whom they were locked. The symptom they see is that login fails. They cannot edit their watchlist. They cannot send email or edit their user page. Account locking is a blunt instrument.

So part of my goal was, through RfC, to establish community consensus on encouraging developers to create global account blocking, which local admins could then bypass. And global account blocking could exempt meta, allowing appeal, the same as is now the case with global IP blocking.
Oh, and I'm sure Kohser enjoys you lumping him in there with Trump and Bloomberg.
Hey, Greg, how about tossing me some of that vast fortune? Or maybe you could get me a reduced rate with Comcast, your pricing becomes horrible after the attractive initial offer expires?

--70-year-old man, Abd, lives with his daughter. Not in a basement, but an apartment crammed with stuff. Before she moved in, but especially since she moved in. She's not supporting me yet, she's twelve.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Abd wrote:Hey, Greg, how about tossing me some of that vast fortune?

Why should I open my wallet to you, when there's $21 waiting for you on Wikipedia?
Abd wrote:Or maybe you could get me a reduced rate with Comcast, your pricing becomes horrible after the attractive initial offer expires?
That's strange; I've heard the same comments about Verizon FiOS.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Abd wrote:... Hey, Greg, how about tossing me some of that vast fortune? Or maybe you could get me a reduced rate with Comcast, your pricing becomes horrible after the attractive initial offer expires?
Abd, find another isp with an introductory offer. Then call Comcast and say you are switching providers, and ask if they will consider giving you another introductory offer to keep you as a customer. There is a good chance they will, depending on where you live. I've done this regularly with different isps and have saved over a thousand dollars in the last decade. When isps are competing with introductory offers in an area, this is the price they pay. As a consumer you have every right to benefit from it. Don't be afraid of switching.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.