Always improving

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Always improving

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Land reclamation in Singapore (T-H-L)

Its first reference cites Wikipedia itself!
Indeed, I think that 19 of the 49 footnotes are to "Wikipedia contributors". It's the worst violation of "Wikipedia is not a reliable source" thst I've ever seen. The article is basically by Haib67 (T-C-L) but there have been several other editors, including the very experienced BD2412 (admin with over a million edits and a bureaucrat on WQ), who have done nothing about it.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 am

Non-disclosure agreement (T-H-L)

Article contains underlining for emphasis.

With regards to the land reclamation in Singapore article, it looks like one of those single-purpose accounts.

The fact that the original author became missing in action could mean that it may be an academic assignment article.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Non-disclosure agreement (T-H-L)

I can't see that having two small bits of underlining justifies mentioning an article in this thread.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:02 am

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Non-disclosure agreement (T-H-L)

I can't see that having two small bits of underlining justifies mentioning an article in this thread.
Presumably a legal topic would attract lawyers, who do tend to underline stuff.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Land reclamation in Singapore (T-H-L)

Its first reference cites Wikipedia itself!
Indeed, I think that 19 of the 49 footnotes are to "Wikipedia contributors". It's the worst violation of "Wikipedia is not a reliable source" thst I've ever seen. The article is basically by Haib67 (T-C-L) but there have been several other editors, including the very experienced BD2412 (admin with over a million edits and a bureaucrat on WQ), who have done nothing about it.
Fixed within the day by Yngvadottir (T-C-L). Now all that remains is to step up the rate of detection and fixing ten thousand-fold, and the encyclopaedia will be built within the next few decades. I wonder how that might happen?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:Fixed within the day by Yngvadottir (T-C-L). Now all that remains is to step up the rate of detection and fixing ten thousand-fold, and the encyclopaedia will be built within the next few decades. I wonder how that might happen?
We just need ten thousand editors like Yngvadottir. Surely that's easy enough.

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 pm

And ten thousand reviewers like Johnny Au and your good self.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 pm

An amusing comment on the slogan from the deletion of Bowl-A-Rama (T-H-L), which was PROD-deleted in December 2016: "Expired PROD, concern was: This has been completely unsourced for eleven years now, and however much one subscribes to the "constant improvement" mantra, there comes a point when one has to stop assuming that at some point somebod..." It's too bad one cannot read the rest of the comment.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Ming and Poetlister cannot see more, but some people here can. Can someone please comment?

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:45 am

Poetlister wrote:Ming and Poetlister cannot see more, but some people here can. Can someone please comment?
The full rationale is here.
The text the article was started with in 2005 is reproduced in its entirety here.
And that was pretty much it, except for the adding categories, {{Refimprove|date=July 2007}} and so on.

Had a link to a YouTube video, no doubt a WP:LINKVIO (T-H-L).
(Spoiler alert: prepare to be underwhelmed):
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:08 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:(prepare to be underwhelmed):
:rotfl: How on earth do they do that? Just magic, I guess... :rotfl:

"Comments are disabled for this video." :crying:

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:59 am

Tyler Yates (T-H-L)

The article states that his decade-younger brother Kirby plays for the San Diego Padres, but the source cited states that Kirby's still in the Tampa Bay Rays organization.

The ref should move to just after Kirby Yates' name, not at the end of the sentence.

However, Kirby Yates (T-H-L) is quite accurate, save for the fact that the infobox depicts him being clean-shaven and wearing the New York Yankees uniform (he played more games for the Padres than for the Yankees and it's only because of the New York Yankees appearance policy (T-H-L) that the younger Yates had to shave; he didn't shave when he played for the Rays, Angels (his lone appearance as an Angel was when he gave up a home run to Superman), or the Padres; when Kirby Yates was a Yankee, he was practically any other relief pitcher, but after the Padres dealt Brad Hand (T-H-L), the younger Yates became the Padres' closer).

Note this edit specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =851405847 (no points for knowing who reverted the edit)

Because of that, Padres fans had to be stuck with seeing their closer clean-shaven and wearing pinstripes in the infobox. As a Jays fan, I feel bad for the Padres.
Last edited by Johnny Au on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:57 am, edited 8 times in total.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:39 am

Here's another baseball-related one:

List of Major League Baseball players investigated for domestic violence (T-H-L)

Someone added Addison Russell (T-H-L) at the top, when the most recent entries should be at the bottom, though Roberto Osuna (T-H-L) was added to the bottom to maintain chronological order.

As a Jays fan, I'm glad to see Osuna go to Houston.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 pm

Six degrees of separation (T-H-L)

From the See also section:
The Tipping Point – 2000 book by Malcolm Gladwell by Malcolm Gladwell
By Malcolm Gladwell

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:37 pm

Six-and-a-half years, the "Douglas" reference is still just the "Douglas" reference.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:03 pm

thekohser wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:37 pm
Six-and-a-half years, the "Douglas" reference is still just the "Douglas" reference.
Yngvadottir made an edit intended to assist you, which was not an endorsement of the Wikimedia Foundation, that fixed the Harvard-style short refs in response to a note on the Tornadoes in the United States (T-H-L) talk page highlighted at this site.
Yngvadottir wrote:These short ref styles are horrible, but WP:CITEVAR (T-H-L)
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:33 pm

This may be the first time I've posted to this thread, as I've always seen it as something more for people with Wikipedia accounts. Still, I was watching one of those Rick Beato videos earlier today, and the guest was Tim Pierce, (T-H-L) a well-respected session guitarist. He's so well-respected that he has his own Tim Pierce discography (T-H-L) article (initially posted two years ago), which is just a list of all the records he's played on (only one of which is actually his own album). But the very first item in the list is pretty obviously wrong on the release date, or at least highly suspicious-looking — it's six years earlier than all the other list items. So, I looked it up, and sure enough, Acuérdate de Mí by French singer Bertín Osborne (T-H-L) was released in 1990, not 1974, and it's listed correctly in Osborne's article as well as on Discogs. It wasn't a later edit either, it was wrong in the very first version.

To be fair, this is super-obscure detail stuff, and someone did correctly put a "this article lacks citations" tag on it, but of course that didn't inspire anyone to put citations on it. Things like this really do belong on other sites, in this case Discogs, which despite being publicly-editable is far more complete, far more systematized, and at this point clearly more accurate in cases like this where you can make a one-to-one comparison. But Wikipedia often doesn't link to Discogs, even though it would be super-handy for readers if they did, and I can only assume that's because Discogs is also a site on which people can buy and sell old records... making it too "commercial" for Wikipedians to support.

Wikipedians seem to prefer AllMusic.com, which does not have a facility for buying and selling, but is also clearly less complete and accurate (at least when it comes to pop music). So on a hunch, I went and checked AllMusic's entry for Tim Pierce — and sure enough, there's the probable source of the list, and (click on the "Year" column-head to sort earliest-first) also the error.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:35 pm

Cesàro summation (T-H-L)

An "improvement" made some 5 years ago to this article was drawn to my attention by this post on Mathematics StackExchange, whose author had been misled by it. Until the talk page donnybrook leading up to that change, the article had given the following correct definiton

of Cesàro summability and the Cesàro sum of a series. One minor deficiency in the article at that time is that it didn't give the definition for the Cesàro sum of a sequence, which is the limit (if it exists) of the arithmetic mean of its first n terms as n tends to infinity. This would have enabled it to point out that the Cesàro sum of the given series is just the Cesàro sum of the sequence s1, s2, ... , sn, ... of its partial sums.

Enter Randy in Boise in June 2017 (no, not our Randy from Boise), who objected to the then wording of the article for reasons which, as far as I can tell, he was never able to express sufficiently coherently for me (or anyone else, for that matter) to work out what they were. After several months of argy-bargy on the talk page, the participants in the discussion eventually agreed to this (erroneous) "compromise". A few hours later one of the participants in the discussion removed one of the subjects of the first sentence. Unfortunately, the one he removed is the one that should have been left, and the one he left is the one that should have been removed. As a result the article now contains the following erroneous definition

of the Cesàro sum of a sequence.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.