End-of-year report: Wikipedia page views

EricBarbour

kołdry

Re: End-of-year report: Wikipedia page views

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm

HRIP7 wrote:The Wikimedia Foundation has updated the report card graphs shown in the original post at the top of this thread, by adding mobile views. (When first posted, the graphs did not include mobile views. But as the graphs are linked to their source URLs, they automatically update here as well.)
I don't see the totals -- all the page-view charts now show a grey line as the "total" in the key, but it's not in the actual charts. Plus, there are really stupid typos, like "Page Views On English Wikipedia, x 1000,000".

Can't those nitwits even make a simple chart without screwing it up?

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am

EricBarbour wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:The Wikimedia Foundation has updated the report card graphs shown in the original post at the top of this thread, by adding mobile views. (When first posted, the graphs did not include mobile views. But as the graphs are linked to their source URLs, they automatically update here as well.)
I don't see the totals -- all the page-view charts now show a grey line as the "total" in the key, but it's not in the actual charts. Plus, there are really stupid typos, like "Page Views On English Wikipedia, x 1000,000".

Can't those nitwits even make a simple chart without screwing it up?
I'm not sure you're seeing the same charts I see.

Black = mobile + non-mobile
Green = non-mobile
Blue = mobile

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:07 am

HRIP7 wrote:Black = mobile + non-mobile
Green = non-mobile
Blue = mobile

Oh, the grey line marked "Total" is supposed to actually be black? Heh.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm

The French clubic.pro article on this actually made another astute observation:
Notons au passage quelques exceptions au phénomène : les versions russes et chinoise de Wikipedia, là où la concurrence de Yandex et Baidu est plus accentuée sur le secteur de la recherche.
They're pointing out that the Russian and Chinese Wikipedias were far less affected, which ties in with the fact that Google's market share in those countries (and thus any conceivable impact of the Knowledge Graph panel) is far smaller, thanks to competition from search engines Yandex and Baidu.