The Non-Aligned Movement

orangepi
Gregarious
kołdry
Wikipedia User:

The Non-Aligned Movement

Unread post by orangepi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:04 pm

Apparently a cabal of admins determined that there was some copyright on this article, and blew the whole thing away. I wouldn't be shocked if part of the article included a copyvio, but certain sections (the list of members, for one) certainly cannot be a copyvio. So G12 is obviously inappropriate.

I hope to see a lot of drama, but am concerned I won't. The ANI thread about Turkmenbashi / Krasnovodsk ended with no observers really caring. Will this be different? Do admins remember they are building an encyclopedia?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Re: the Non-Aligned Movement

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:14 am

The specific evidence presented to justify the copyvio claim (see link) was bollocks. From only a quick look, it is obvious that the copy-pasting has been done the other way.

Copyright infringement on Wikipedia is a serious issue. You can't fix it through knee-jerk deletions based on automated tool results though. Competence is required, as they say...

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: The Non-Aligned Movement

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:51 am

The Non-Aligned Movement was an important organization. If Wikipedia is serious about history at all, this needs to be fixed.

Edit: It has.
The article has been restored; the copyright violations in question were from two sources that copied us, not the other way around. Wizardman 4:18 pm, Yesterday (UTC−7)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:14 am
Copyright infringement on Wikipedia is a serious issue. You can't fix it through knee-jerk deletions based on automated tool results though. Competence is required, as they say...
You may have missed the recent discussion about this issue. The problem is not that its not recognised that this isnt the way it should be done, its that the way it should be done isnt being done at all. There is a lack of capacity in the admins to deal with the backlog and the people who are most vocal about not deleting suspected Copyvio revisions/articles are not in any way inclined to actually donate their time to do it properly, preferring to whinge about it.

So you will likely see many many more issues like this as the broad-brush is taken before either more people start helping out, or the policy actually gets changed. Deleting the entire thing does actually solve the problem, albeit causing a different one. If I thought the admin concerned was clever enough, I would suspect them of doing it deliberately to prove a point.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:44 am

Of course, once an article is deleted it is impossible for a non-admin to investigate to see if the copyvio claim can be refuted. There needs to be a list of friendly admins willing to send serious enquirers copies of such articles.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Wampyre1990
Contributor

Unread post by Wampyre1990 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:44 am
Of course, once an article is deleted it is impossible for a non-admin to investigate to see if the copyvio claim can be refuted. There needs to be a list of friendly admins willing to send serious enquirers copies of such articles.
There is such a list Category:Wikipedia administrators willing to provide copies of deleted articles (T-H-L)

Moneytrees
Critic
Wikipedia User: Moneytrees

Unread post by Moneytrees » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Anroth wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 am
AndyTheGrump wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:14 am
You may have missed the recent discussion about this issue. The problem is not that its not recognised that this isnt the way it should be done, its that the way it should be done isnt being done at all. There is a lack of capacity in the admins to deal with the backlog and the people who are most vocal about not deleting suspected Copyvio revisions/articles are not in any way inclined to actually donate their time to do it properly, preferring to whinge about it.

So you will likely see many many more issues like this as the broad-brush is taken before either more people start helping out, or the policy actually gets changed. Deleting the entire thing does actually solve the problem, albeit causing a different one. If I thought the admin concerned was clever enough, I would suspect them of doing it deliberately to prove a point.
Yeah, that's half of the problem. We've been taking broader strokes in deleting stuff from serial violators recently, an example of this is articles written by Billy Hathorn (T-C-L) and his various socks. MER-C has been deleting 1000s of his articles since 2019, but the majority of them are non-notable biographies filled with BLP violations, poor sourcing, and editorializing, so not much will be missed. That's the thing with most articles and contributors who mass produce articles and end up at CCI; there is so much crap to go through that's its just not worth doing a comprehensive check on an article; deleting it because it's probably copied and also terrible is simply easier. I try to stub an article down to a few sentences when I can, but I recognize that a lot of articles should simply be blown up.

In this instance the G12 tagger and the deleting admin do not really work in the copyright area; Wizardman does
extensive work in it and can tell when somethings copied from us. Admins who don't work in the copyright area G12'ing off of mirrors has been a long running issue, and I'm not really sure of the solution; I guess it's just to try and find and clean it up whenever possible.