Chronic bauble addiction

Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Chronic bauble addiction

Unread post by Hex » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:59 pm

TonyTheTiger (T-C-L) is upset because he can't nominate himself for some shiny things. I am dismayed to discover that there is yet another new bauble, called the "Wikipedia:Million Award (T-H-L)", which people are apparently now issuing to themselves based on page view counts.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Re: Chronic bauble addiction

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Oh god, that guy again. He's a shining example of an attention-seeking control freak who is always right no matter what he does. He exhibited some pretty pathetic ownership over the Four Award, if I remember correctly.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:Oh god, that guy again. He's a shining example of an attention-seeking control freak who is always right no matter what he does. He exhibited some pretty pathetic ownership over the Four Award, if I remember correctly.
Although I checked a few of his articles, amd he actually used sources mostly correctly and with understanding, a few errors of being overly precise while wrong, but nothing like the science DYK bauble collectors.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 am

I don't think there is a major issue with his content creation; it's what he does away from that area that results in him being disruptive, and incredibly so.

ArmasRebane
Habitué

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Might as well bump this to bring you the latest in TTT news, where he seems to be coasting to getting banned from the WikiCup (and possibly GAN entirely) because of his blatant attempt to game the system by spamming the nominations (looks like only RandyKryn and Andrew Davidson are valiantly rising to his defence.)

The ANI filing also brings up he got banned from featured pictures process and forbidden from uploading pictures of himself, and that he tried to get his sister on the front page via a DYK on her birthday. Sheesh! (T-H-L), indeed.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

I miss Hex.

t

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

In related news from DYK.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

I had quite forgotten about this, but I see I had some involvement with this issue nearly eleven years ago, and clearly, nothing has changed. People who contribute just to earn awards confuse me.

Having looked into this a bit more, I found Wikipedia:W Awards (T-H-L), a whole other way to pat yourself on the back, which seems to have been created and developed by TTT and Noraft (T-C-L). Noraft was blocked for COI editing six years ago. I'm seeing a pattern here, it seems a lot of these users who really relish these silly awards are, like many of the people at the top of the "most active users" list, persistently problematic and expect to get a free pass because they are so prolific. No extra charge for the aliteration.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

The W Awards (Golden W Award and Platinum W Award) are elite accolades recognizing the highest ability to bring content to the masses.
Yeah, the way you get this silly thing is to game the main page. Seriously. It appears to have been awarded three times, two of those times to TTT. This is some pathetic shit right here.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm
The ANI filing also brings up he got banned from featured pictures process and forbidden from uploading pictures of himself, and that he tried to get his sister on the front page via a DYK on her birthday. Sheesh! (T-H-L), indeed.
Should've gone full Joe Monson and not declared his COI.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

"TonyTheTiger is gaming the WikiCup through GAN spam".

Most Wikipedia AN/I section title ever?

There are people who knew what this was going to be all about without even reading it. And then there are happy people, who just saw a funny title, had a little chuckle, and moved on with their lives. I want to be a happy people.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

What’s the point of doing all this work to win a prize like that?

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am
Wikipedia:Awards wrote:A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. – Napoleon
That's Napolean.

I dare say it didn't even occur to them to find a quote from someone who didn't end their days in exile having been given a right good kick up the jacksie by a man wearing wellies.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 am

Kraken wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am
Ron Lybonly wrote:
Wikipedia:Awards wrote:A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. – Napoleon
That's Napolean.

I dare say it didn't even occur to them to find a quote from someone who didn't end their days in exile having been given a right good kick up the jacksie by a man wearing wellies.
I think you mean Neapolitan.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

ArmasRebane
Habitué

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:04 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 am
Kraken wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am
Ron Lybonly wrote:
That's Napolean.

I think you mean Neapolitan.
Ugh. Chocolate and vanilla are an excellent combo, who invited stupid strawberry to the party?

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:32 pm

And yet chocolate and raspberry, now that's a classic.

:banana:

Wait, who invited banana!?!

Eeuurggh.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:47 pm

A question for our Time. Why does the banana milkshake keep disappearing from the McD's menu :confused:
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:21 pm

C&B wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:47 pm
A question for our Time. Why does the banana milkshake keep disappearing from the McD's menu :confused:

stedil
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Stedil

Unread post by stedil » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:35 pm

At least with the Service awards there are some mildly humorous alternatives for those self-aware enough to know the whole thing is silly.
This editor is a Labutnum of the Encyclopedia and is entitled to display this Book of Knowledge with Coffee Cup Stain, Cigarette Burn, Chewed Broken Pencil, Sticky Note, Bookmark, and Note from Jimbo.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:43 pm

C&B wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:47 pm
Is the McDonald's ice cream machine (T-H-L) broken in your area? You can find out at mcbroken.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 pm

That site is so cool! I pity the fool who tries to get a shake at 10% at McDonald's tonight! That one in St Paul, no milkshake at all, 'but would you like a coffee?' :blink:
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 am

stedil wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:35 pm
At least with the Service awards there are some mildly humorous alternatives for those self-aware enough to know the whole thing is silly.
Oh, hell no. Those things are garlic against vampires or an NRA sticker on a pickup truck parked in front of a house as deterrent to home invaders...

Plus, it's a little carrot that helps keep ya plugging. There's nothing wrong with that.

t