"Guerrilla skeptics" once again

EricBarbour

kołdry

"Guerrilla skeptics" once again

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Remember these two threads, that mentioned the activities of the "Guerrilla skeptics"?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2404
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3350

They are apparently being emboldened by early successes, and are now talking openly about it. They even have a name for their coordinated assaults on Wikipedia articles about psychics and pseudoscience freaks, "Project Honeybadger".
http://www.skepticblog.org/2013/12/07/t ... onspiracy/
The psychic camps are getting very upset because hey can’t float their bullshit pseudoscience by Wiki editors anymore and they are feeling the pain of their own ignorance by being summarily edited out of existence. Not only that, but their own minions have been caught out lying about who they work for and “conflict of interest” issues they themselves had leveled at Susan’s Wiki editing crew. Susan has been carefully following the rules for years now. These groups don’t, nor do they bother to take the time to do any homework or even spell her name right. Big mistake.
Plus their own special blog, operating since mid-2011.
http://guerrillaskepticismonwikipedia.blogspot.com/

On the one hand, they are probably doing a service for Wikipedia and the public at large. On the other hand, they are doing it in an underhanded way, and previously, WP insiders tried to do a lot of this and had mixed results. If they want some real challenges, I'd like to see them attend to the Prem Rawat material, as an especially raw and long-standing example. Not being "insiders", they will be at a major disadvantage.

WP:SOAP and all that? Does Wikipedia operate by allowing soapboxers to try to "cancel each other out"? Is that wise?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: "Guerrilla skeptics" once again

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I think they should let them all in and sell tickets.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

IRWolfie-
Contributor
Wikipedia User: IRWolfie-

Re: "Guerrilla skeptics" once again

Unread post by IRWolfie- » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Remember these two threads, that mentioned the activities of the "Guerrilla skeptics"?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2404
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3350

They are apparently being emboldened by early successes, and are now talking openly about it. They even have a name for their coordinated assaults on Wikipedia articles about psychics and pseudoscience freaks, "Project Honeybadger".
http://www.skepticblog.org/2013/12/07/t ... onspiracy/
The psychic camps are getting very upset because hey can’t float their bullshit pseudoscience by Wiki editors anymore and they are feeling the pain of their own ignorance by being summarily edited out of existence. Not only that, but their own minions have been caught out lying about who they work for and “conflict of interest” issues they themselves had leveled at Susan’s Wiki editing crew. Susan has been carefully following the rules for years now. These groups don’t, nor do they bother to take the time to do any homework or even spell her name right. Big mistake.
Plus their own special blog, operating since mid-2011.
http://guerrillaskepticismonwikipedia.blogspot.com/

On the one hand, they are probably doing a service for Wikipedia and the public at large. On the other hand, they are doing it in an underhanded way, and previously, WP insiders tried to do a lot of this and had mixed results. If they want some real challenges, I'd like to see them attend to the Prem Rawat material, as an especially raw and long-standing example. Not being "insiders", they will be at a major disadvantage.

WP:SOAP and all that? Does Wikipedia operate by allowing soapboxers to try to "cancel each other out"? Is that wise?
The Rupert Sheldrake article was unconnected to Guerilla Skeptics. I was one of the people peripherally involved, and they had no connection to it. From what I have seen of them, they are usually quite timid and respectful editors, so they wouldn't go anywhere near a wiki-controversial article. They are quite open about which articles they edit, always have been as far as I can see. From what I have gathered from reading their blogs and looking at one of the youtube presentations at TAM by Gerbic, it seems to be more of a benign support group, giving advice on how to edit etc.