Missing Articles — Low-hanging Fruit?

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
kołdry
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Re: Missing Articles — Low-hanging Fruit?

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 am

Johnny Au wrote:
greyed.out.fields wrote:
Poetlister wrote:Since Bangladesh is now regsrded as a country where domestic cricket matches can be regarded as First Class, there must be loads of Bangladeshi cricketers who qualify as notable. Pretty hard to research beyond what you'd find on sites like ESPNcricinfo.
And CricketArchive (T-H-L) is now subscription-only. :furious:
There really needs to be a cricket counterpart to baseball's Fangraphs (T-H-L). Otherwise, it just isn't cricket.
There is. It's called ESPNcricinfo (T-H-L).

What's that? You want to see Yuvraj Singh hit six sixes in a row again?
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:What's that? You want to see Yuvraj Singh hit six sixes in a row again?
I stopped watching after the 2nd one -- clearly was a foul ball, but the home plate umpire completely missed that.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 pm

thekohser wrote:
greyed.out.fields wrote:What's that? You want to see Yuvraj Singh hit six sixes in a row again?
I stopped watching after the 2nd one -- clearly was a foul ball, but the home plate umpire completely missed that.
This is cricket, which has no plates. I have no idea what game you are using for comparison.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Phra Maha Raja-Kru (T-H-L) is one if Thailand's most famous poets. He wrote a famous story about a tiger cub and a calf around 1657.

The Thai Wikipedia has an article on the story but not on the poet himself. Here's the URL to the article about the story in the Thai Wikipedia:

Code: Select all

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/เสือโคคำฉันท์

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 am

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:
This is cricket, which has no plates. I have no idea what game you are using for comparison.
Rounders (T-H-L) I believe.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am

thekohser wrote:
Kohs old bean, the bowler was at a brisk right-arm fast-medium in his second delivery of the over, but deviated from his middle-and-leg line, and dropped the ball too full of a good length outside the off stump. The batsman played across the line - certainly not a shot that The Don would have included in The Art of Cricket (T-H-L) but effective nevertheless in the context of List A cricket, ODIs and T20 - and scored a maximum over the fence at deep midwicket. There was no problem with the delivery: if there had been, the umpire at the bowler's end would have signaled a no-ball. There was also no issue with the shot: again, if there had been, the umpire at square leg would have signaled "dead-ball", blah blah blah, stolen plans, blah, blah, blah, atom bomb...
thekohser wrote:I stopped watching after the 2nd one -- clearly was a foul ball, but the home plate umpire completely missed that.
:like: Well played, sir, well played. I quite literally LOL-d.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 pm

greyed.out.fields wrote:Kohs old bean, the bowler was at a brisk right-arm fast-medium in his second delivery of the over, but deviated from his middle-and-leg line, and dropped the ball too full of a good length outside the off stump. The batsman played across the line - certainly not a shot that The Don would have included in The Art of Cricket (T-H-L) but effective nevertheless in the context of List A cricket, ODIs and T20 - and scored a maximum over the fence at deep midwicket. There was no problem with the delivery: if there had been, the umpire at the bowler's end would have signaled a no-ball. There was also no issue with the shot: again, if there had been, the umpire at square leg would have signaled "dead-ball", blah blah blah, stolen plans, blah, blah, blah, atom bomb...
:like: but of course for that authentic English flavour you need to spell "signalled" correctly.

hack
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Hack

Unread post by hack » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:55 am

Poetlister wrote:Since Bangladesh is now regsrded as a country where domestic cricket matches can be regarded as First Class, there must be loads of Bangladeshi cricketers who qualify as notable. Pretty hard to research beyond what you'd find on sites like ESPNcricinfo.
There's a bit of a storm at WP:CRICKET and a few of the admin boards at the moment because non-cricket people have discovered the mountain of poorly-created BLPs mass-produced by Bobo192 (T-C-L). The current battleground is Sri Lankan cricket.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 pm

hack wrote:
There's a bit of a storm at WP:CRICKET and a few of the admin boards at the moment because non-cricket people have discovered the mountain of poorly-created BLPs mass-produced by Bobo192 (T-C-L). The current battleground is Sri Lankan cricket.
If they are notable, then they deserve articles (to the extent that anyone deserves a BLP). If the articles are poor hen WP:SOFIXIT.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 am

How ironic:

There's no Wikipedia article about the Wikipedia Board Game: linkhttps://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180 ... everything[/link]

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Surprising. Less surprising is that there is nothing about Swissmarine (T-H-L) (despite its size). The rather large AsiacitiTrust (T-H-L) has had a one sentence page for 10 days now. Maybe ICIJ isn't on the RS reading list?
los auberginos

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 pm

For really obvious choices, the two longest articles in the Brill/Eerdmans ''The Encyclopedia of Christianity'' still don't have directly comparable articles in Wikipedia. In the Brill/Eerdmans encyclopedia, which came out in 1999 , the longest article is on Christian theology in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and the second longest unit in that work is the section of that article dealing with Protestant theology in then nineteenth and twentieth centuries. FWIW, I think the period was separated because that's when the major traditions started talking civilly to each other again.

Granted, they would both be broad survey articles, which can be among the hardest to write, but they still don't exist yet.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm

JCM wrote:For really obvious choices, the two longest articles in the Brill/Eerdmans ''The Encyclopedia of Christianity'' still don't have directly comparable articles in Wikipedia. In the Brill/Eerdmans encyclopedia, which came out in 1999 , the longest article is on Christian theology in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and the second longest unit in that work is the section of that article dealing with Protestant theology in then nineteenth and twentieth centuries. FWIW, I think the period was separated because that's when the major traditions started talking civilly to each other again.

Granted, they would both be broad survey articles, which can be among the hardest to write, but they still don't exist yet.
I can imagine that if either of those articles were created, it would be quite contentious and start an edit war or two.

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Wikipedia: WikiProject Christianity/Prospectus (T-H-L) and the other pages I've made that are included in the Prospectus category list a lot of articles that exist in high-quality professionally produced reference works which still don't exist in wikipedia yet. And there are almost certainly at least several thousand more articles, most of which are probably of a lesser level of notability, in the rather huge number of now public domain encyclopedias out there. Some of them will clearly be outdated, but for lesser historical figures and events, there won't in a lot of cases be much discovered since their publication to be added or changed.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:05 am

There's no article on Lake Toronto near Chihuahua City in in Mexico. It's a reservoir formed from La Boquilla Dam (T-H-L) on the Rio Conchos (T-H-L), which is the largest tributary of the Rio Grande.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

JCM wrote:Wikipedia: WikiProject Christianity/Prospectus (T-H-L) and the other pages I've made that are included in the Prospectus category list a lot of articles that exist in high-quality professionally produced reference works which still don't exist in wikipedia yet. And there are almost certainly at least several thousand more articles, most of which are probably of a lesser level of notability, in the rather huge number of now public domain encyclopedias out there. Some of them will clearly be outdated, but for lesser historical figures and events, there won't in a lot of cases be much discovered since their publication to be added or changed.
Several old encyclopaedias have been incorporated wholesale into Wikipedia, notably the 1911 Britannica and the Jewish Encyclopedia. In some cases, the articles have been updated, but this is not always the case. There is scope for more of that, which could be both good (plugging gaps and making material more easily available) and bad (having out-of-date articles obscuring better and more recent material).

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Johnny Au wrote:How ironic:

There's no Wikipedia article about the Wikipedia Board Game: linkhttps://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180 ... everything[/link]
I've always assumed this game was like Trivial Pursuit, but what if it's structured like Clue, where you've got to track down the master account of the sockpuppet doing the vandalism?

RfB

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Poetlister wrote:
JCM wrote:Wikipedia: WikiProject Christianity/Prospectus (T-H-L) and the other pages I've made that are included in the Prospectus category list a lot of articles that exist in high-quality professionally produced reference works which still don't exist in wikipedia yet. And there are almost certainly at least several thousand more articles, most of which are probably of a lesser level of notability, in the rather huge number of now public domain encyclopedias out there. Some of them will clearly be outdated, but for lesser historical figures and events, there won't in a lot of cases be much discovered since their publication to be added or changed.
Several old encyclopaedias have been incorporated wholesale into Wikipedia, notably the 1911 Britannica and the Jewish Encyclopedia. In some cases, the articles have been updated, but this is not always the case. There is scope for more of that, which could be both good (plugging gaps and making material more easily available) and bad (having out-of-date articles obscuring better and more recent material).
With the draft namespace now available, maybe old PD articles could be started there and then incorporated after review of more recent sources. In quite a few cases, like for instance an eighteenth century mayor of Bonn, there might be little if any updating required, if there has been little if any real subsequent academic attention. For other articles, though, maybe like the article on Bonn itself, the broadly historical material which hasn,'t been updated could easily be used in an early draft of a History of Bonn article, of maybe added into an existing history article if one already exists. And at the very least, I think such prospectuses can provide a good basis for determining what are the least some of the more essential subtopics in the staggeringly broad topics like Christianity.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm

JCM wrote:With the draft namespace now available, maybe old PD articles could be started there and then incorporated after review of more recent sources. In quite a few cases, like for instance an eighteenth century mayor of Bonn, there might be little if any updating required, if there has been little if any real subsequent academic attention. For other articles, though, maybe like the article on Bonn itself, the broadly historical material which hasn,'t been updated could easily be used in an early draft of a History of Bonn article, of maybe added into an existing history article if one already exists. And at the very least, I think such prospectuses can provide a good basis for determining what are the least some of the more essential subtopics in the staggeringly broad topics like Christianity.
Sometimes POVs change. I remember one of the editors of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography telling me that he regarded an article in the old Dictionary of National Biography as a whitewash. He had rewritten it, not so much with new facts but to present the existing facts more fairly. (Said editor had a few problems with his own BLP, but that's another story.)

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:How ironic:

I've always assumed this game was like Trivial Pursuit, but what if it's structured like Clue, where you've got to track down the master account of the sockpuppet doing the vandalism?

RfB
It's more like Trivial Pursuit.

The game also has players comparing if there's more links to "Cat" than to "Dog" or not.

Here's an example topic:

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Nothing for Spongata (T-H-L)? Shocking!

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
JCM wrote:With the draft namespace now available, maybe old PD articles could be started there and then incorporated after review of more recent sources. In quite a few cases, like for instance an eighteenth century mayor of Bonn, there might be little if any updating required, if there has been little if any real subsequent academic attention. For other articles, though, maybe like the article on Bonn itself, the broadly historical material which hasn,'t been updated could easily be used in an early draft of a History of Bonn article, of maybe added into an existing history article if one already exists. And at the very least, I think such prospectuses can provide a good basis for determining what are the least some of the more essential subtopics in the staggeringly broad topics like Christianity.
Sometimes POVs change. I remember one of the editors of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography telling me that he regarded an article in the old Dictionary of National Biography as a whitewash. He had rewritten it, not so much with new facts but to present the existing facts more fairly. (Said editor had a few problems with his own BLP, but that's another story.)
I remember myself having expressed similar opinions of the DNB Supplement biography of Arthur Bryant (T-H-L) as being basically a hatchet job, so I don't disagree with you that any potential reference source we might use could be biased in some way. I might even go further and say that any "Encyclopedia of" some specific topic should be expected to be biased in favor of it's own stated scope. An article on Thomas Aquinas I found in James Lewis' encyclopedia of astrology comes to mind. But if we were to, basically, import old PD sources into draft space, have editors compare that text against newer reference sources on that topic, and make changes as indicated before transferring the piece to mainspace, that might get acceptable results.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm

"Thank You Very Much": while there is an article about "Thank You Very Much" (Margaret song) (T-H-L), there is none about the surely better-known song of that title by The Scaffold (T-H-L).

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 am

The late journalist Michelle McNamara, who spent years investigating the Golden State Killer (T-H-L). Her bio was deleted two years ago, after four people showed up to the AFD, and redirected to her husband Patton Oswalt (T-H-L)'s bio.

The Golden State killer is suspected of raping 50 women and killing a dozen people in the 70's and 80's through DNA evidence. He was never caught.

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm

There is no article in English about the thing which inspired Nabokov to write his most famous book.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessio ... nyme_russe

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 pm

tarantino wrote:The late journalist Michelle McNamara, who spent years investigating the Golden State Killer (T-H-L). Her bio was deleted two years ago, after four people showed up to the AFD, and redirected to her husband Patton Oswalt (T-H-L)'s bio.

The Golden State killer is suspected of raping 50 women and killing a dozen people in the 70's and 80's through DNA evidence. He was never caught.
I think she should have her own article, but surely investigating a notable criminal doesn't of itself confer notability.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:27 am

Poetlister wrote:"Thank You Very Much": while there is an article about "Thank You Very Much" (Margaret song) (T-H-L), there is none about the surely better-known song of that title by The Scaffold (T-H-L).
... or the Oscar-nommed song from Scrooge.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Kate Maltby is one of Britain's leading female journalists, who has endured more than her fair share of harassment.

New Statesman

Maybe she would prefer not to have a BLP, but if Wikipedians want more articles about women then she's an obvious candidate.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:08 pm

tarantino wrote:The late journalist Michelle McNamara, who spent years investigating the Golden State Killer (T-H-L). Her bio was deleted two years ago, after four people showed up to the AFD, and redirected to her husband Patton Oswalt (T-H-L)'s bio.

Well the killer's been caught, and Michelle McNamara (T-H-L) now has a wiki bio.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Sir Patrick Brown is an extremely distinguished civil servant. Forced to retire early as Permanent Secretary of the Department of Transport in 1997 when Labour took power and merged the department with the Department of the Environment, he became chairperson of the Oil and Gas Authority in 2015.

CoI: I know him personally and he was extremely helpful to me a few years ago, for which I am grateful.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 am

Grievance studies hoax (T-H-L)

This hoax is currently mentioned in a paragraph here, but I think it clearly is notable enough to have its own article. Here is a list of some of the sources about it I've come across thus far:

Aero magazine (this was the original source about it)
Mother Jones
The Spectator
Wall Street Journal
National Review
Quillette
Chronicle of Higher Education
Washington Times
London Times
Times Higher Education
Second article in Times Higher Education
The Economist
The Federalist
Washington Post
New York Times

New articles about this hoax are continuing to appear (the New York Times article currently is about 6 hours old), so if the subject isn't notable yet, it definitely will be soon.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:08 am

Sorry for the double post, but it's too late to edit my previous post, and I'd like to also include The Atlantic on the list of sources: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ax/572212/ This article is from about an hour ago.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Captain Occam wrote:This hoax is currently mentioned in a paragraph here, but I think it clearly is notable enough to have its own article.
I agree, though the whole business is recent enough that it's hard to fault the WP'ers for not having an article on it already.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Captain Occam wrote:This hoax is currently mentioned in a paragraph here, but I think it clearly is notable enough to have its own article.
I agree, though the whole business is recent enough that it's hard to fault the WP'ers for not having an article on it already.
WP often has articles on ongoing events, which should not be attempted until the dust has settled a bit. I suppose they're damned if they're too quick, damned if they're too slow.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 am

It looks like somebody's working on it now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:%22 ... %22_Affair

I wonder who Rememberwhenrockwasyoung (T-C-L) is? They seem too experienced to be a real newbie, but by proposing the article as a draft instead of creating it directly, they're putting a lot more effort into rule-following than I'd expect from a sock.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:23 am

Captain Occam wrote:I wonder who Rememberwhenrockwasyoung (T-C-L) is? They seem too experienced to be a real newbie...
I'm not seeing a corresponding User:Meandsuziehadsomuchfun (T-C-L) account, but it's probably just a matter of time, I guess.

I'm surprised that User:CrocodileSock (T-C-L) isn't registered either - you'd think that one would be a no-brainer.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:43 am

Captain Occam wrote:I wonder who Rememberwhenrockwasyoung (T-C-L) is? They seem too experienced to be a real newbie, but by proposing the article as a draft instead of creating it directly, they're putting a lot more effort into rule-following than I'd expect from a sock.
Well, whoever it is, I think they'd have done better to do the (hardly onerous) 10 edits, 4 days 'dance' to get autoconfirmed and then create it directly. The draft was 'declined' by Bkissin (T-C-L) as "The proposed article does not have sufficient content to require an article of its own, but it could be merged into the existing article at Peter Boghossian#Philosophical work." so Mr. Rememberwhenrockwasyoung did that.

With 25 references and a reasonable amount of content I think a directly created article would have at least got a full discussion instead of rejection on one user's opinion, even if it still ended up being 'merged'.

A lot of the references are presented as a bit of a 'list' (with a Daily Mail one there to be tutted at :noooo: ), but remember, they do so love to explain that AfD isn't for deleting stuff that can be expanded or 'fixed'...

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Here we go, it finally has its own article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Grieva ... %22_affair

This doesn't look NPOV to me at the moment, because the majority of the sources I've seen about this hoax have taken the view that it revealed a serious problem with these journals' standards of quality. (For example, one of the journals literally published a slightly-edited chapter from Mein Kampf.) I hope the article will get some wider attention to make it more reflective of the coverage this hoax has received.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Captain Occam wrote:(For example, one of the journals literally published a slightly-edited chapter from Mein Kampf.)
To be fair, it wasn't "slightly edited," it was 3200 words from Chapter 12 (i.e., not the whole chapter), completely reworded and rewritten from a feminist perspective. I'm not saying it's fine that they didn't recognize it for what it was, indeed they definitely f***ed up, but to say it was "slightly" edited is completely absurd.

As the authors stated themselves (emphasis mine):
Of note, while the original language and intent of Mein Kampf has been significantly changed to make this paper publishable and about feminism, the reliance upon the politics of grievance remains clear, helping to justify our use of the term “grievance studies” for these fields.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Captain Occam wrote:Here we go, it finally has its own article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Grieva ... %22_affair

This doesn't look NPOV to me at the moment, because the majority of the sources I've seen about this hoax have taken the view that it revealed a serious problem with these journals' standards of quality. (For example, one of the journals literally published a slightly-edited chapter from Mein Kampf.) I hope the article will get some wider attention to make it more reflective of the coverage this hoax has received.
To be fair, the author of the article did put {{Expand}} templates on two sections.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 pm

"Housing Society" is an important topic in England and Wales because such societies are major landlords of residential properties. I actually did want some information on them; more fool me for using Wikipedia! There appears to be a [hyperlink]Housing Society[/hyperlink] article, but it is only a redirect to Housing cooperative#India (T-H-L).

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Poetlister wrote:"Housing Society" is an important topic in England and Wales because such societies are major landlords of residential properties. I actually did want some information on them; more fool me for using Wikipedia! There appears to be a [hyperlink]Housing Society[/hyperlink] article, but it is only a redirect to Housing cooperative#India (T-H-L).
You want Housing association (T-H-L), not that the article is especially accurate or well written.
Globally banned after 7 years.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm

The Tyskerbarnas of Norway. Evidently, during WWII the Nazi's eugenics program decided that Norway was a prime place to breed blond-haired, blue-eyed Aryans. So, there was an active program in Norway to pair-up German soldiers with Norwegian women. The program produced over 10,000 babies, one of whom became one of the founding members of the pop group Abba.

The article on the Nazi eugenics program, Lebensborn (T-H-L) mentions the Norwegian effort, along with similar activities in other countries. However, the program in Norway appears to have been 10 times larger than the effort in other countries, besides Germany. From what I understand, the children produced by this program were ostracized or worse in Norway following the war. The topic would make for an interesting article.

Zagalejo
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Zagalejo

Unread post by Zagalejo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:46 pm

It's rather incredible that Joanna Gaines, the author of the second best-selling US book of 2018, doesn't have her own article. It was redirected to her TV show in 2017. Even at that time, anyone working in the US book world would have been aware of her popularity and influence.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Zagalejo wrote:It's rather incredible that Joanna Gaines, the author of the second best-selling US book of 2018, doesn't have her own article. It was redirected to her TV show in 2017. Even at that time, anyone working in the US book world would have been aware of her popularity and influence.
Once an article has been deleted, it is difficult to re-create it; the notability barrier is likely to be higher than for a new article. Still, she should pass WP:GNG now. Note that apart from the proposer of the AfD, there was one !vote for keep and two for redirect, which is scarcely a full discussion. Maybe it should have been closed as no consensus.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Stephen Powis has been the medical director of our National Health Service for over a year. His predecessor Sir Bruce Keogh (T-H-L) has an article, which notes "Succeeded by Steve Powis". Curiously, when I Googled Stephen Powis, "Stephen Powis Wikipedia" came up as a suggestion.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:48 pm

A poorly covered area is mayors of London boroughs, who are presumably all notable. It's over 50 year since the overhaul of London governent in 1965 so each of the 32 boroughs must have had 50 or so mayors, making 1600 possible entries. Many boroughs have documented them, e.g. Hillingdon, and there's also a useful Fandom site.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 am

Sir Ian Stoutzker has no entry. He is mainly known for founding Live Music Now (T-H-L), and he is briefly mentioned in that article although it has not been updated to mark his knighthood.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:09 pm

John William Wevers easily passes WP:PROF. He is so highly regarded in his own field (the Septuagint (T-H-L)) that Trinity Western University (T-H-L) established the John William Wevers Institute for Septuagint Studies in his memory.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:46 am

A really, really amazing omission. Ehud Sheleg is the treasurer of the UK Conservative Party, easily enoug to secure his notability. He ha sjust been knighted in Theresa May's resignation honours, which gives him an even stronger case. Still, maybe he should be grateful. A BLP of him would be a honeypot for trolls.