Missing Articles — Low-hanging Fruit?

Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Re: Missing articles

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:19 pm

thekohser wrote:Another sign of systemic bias in English Wikipedia... there is no article about Tropicana All Stars (T-H-L), a lovely Miami-based Cuban big band that has been nominated twice for a Grammy Award. Lead singer, Israel Kantor (rest his soul, taken by cancer at the young age of 56), has a biography, but only on the German-language Wikipedia.
That reminds me of what I noticed a few months ago about Miami Sound Machine.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:52 pm

There's an article about Kantor on the German site. It would be nice if there were a bit more co-ordination across the major wikis; it's hard to see how he can be notable in Germany but not in Britain or the USA.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:There's an article about Kantor on the German site. It would be nice if there were a bit more co-ordination across the major wikis; it's hard to see how he can be notable in Germany but not in Britain or the USA.
That there's no article about Kantor on the English wikipedia says nothing about his notability, simply that you haven't bothered to write one.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Malleus wrote:
Poetlister wrote:There's an article about Kantor on the German site. It would be nice if there were a bit more co-ordination across the major wikis; it's hard to see how he can be notable in Germany but not in Britain or the USA.
That there's no article about Kantor on the English wikipedia says nothing about his notability, simply that you haven't bothered to write one.
Why blame me? He's not in my field of expertise at all. Indeed, I hadn't heard of him before this thread.

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Malleus wrote:
Why blame me? He's not in my field of expertise at all. Indeed, I hadn't heard of him before this thread.
I'm not blaming anyone, simply pointing out that if the WMF or anyone else actually cared about these missing articles they'd fork out for someone to write them. Just like the Encyclopedia Britannica does.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:20 am

I'm surprised there isn't a Ferguson effect (T-H-L) article yet. (Well, not extremely surprised, but a little.) Like White privilege (T-H-L), it's clearly a notable topic regardless of whether or not it's something that actually exists. Google News gives around 12,800 results, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Chicago Tribune.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:26 am

Where are the Five Stars? :unsure:

http://www.atomicplatters.com/more.php?id=36_0_1_0_M
Wes Montgomery (T-H-L) apparently worked with them early in his career.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

List of island cities (T-H-L)

Note that Island city (T-H-L) links to a disambiguation page for cities named Island City.

Also note that the existing article List of islands by population density (T-H-L) is not a good substitute for a list of island cities.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 am

The Caleb Warner false rape accusation incident at the University of North Dakota. Apparently, this guy was falsely accused and the university expelled him on flimsy evidence. After he proved the accuser was lying and a warrant was issued for her arrest, she fled the state. The school refused to reexamine his case until after 1 1/2 years of lobbying by his parents. The incident apparently motivated several parents of young men who had been falsely accused of rape, or said they were falsely accused, to form a lobbying group called Mothers for Due Process. Interesting story. I had never heard of them until today.

Although you might think that this would be the kind of article that would draw a frenzy of activist editing, like GamerGate, I don't think it would. The SJWs know that this case doesn't help their cause so they would avoid participating in the article. The problem with such an article is the BLP concerns for Caleb Warner. He likely would like for this to be forgotten so he can get on with his life.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:43 am

The Royal mSociety in its 350 years has had about 8,000 fellows, all clearly notable under WP:PROF. The category Fellows of the Royal Society has about 5,000 entries, so they're well over half way but still some way to go. Of course, a high proportion of these 5,000 consists of crummy stubs.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:00 pm

As noted on Jimbo's talk page, Bonnie Ross (T-H-L), the head of the Microsoft-owned 343 Industries game studio, does not have an article. Plenty of sources about her and not all of them about her being a lady in the games industry. I would create it myself, but she's been mentioned in connection with GamerGate and gender stuff and thus I am not allowed. :(

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Wow, I just figured out there is no WP article for Jess Willard vs. Jack Dempsey (T-H-L) — the biggest American sporting event of 1919 and one of the top 10 most famous heavyweight title fights of all time...

I don't have time today (going to the beach to throw sticks in the ocean to my dog) but this is a massive hole. There is some coverage in the Jack Dempsey article, but it's about 60% dedicated to zany controversies raised in later decades. These are easily disposed of by anyone watching film of the first round, in which Dempsey clearly concusses Willard with a left hook to the temple and proceeds to beat the shit out of him when he repeatedly attempts to stand up.

It would have been a first round TKO today.

On my To Do list, for sure.

RfB

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Wow, I just figured out there is no WP article for Jess Willard vs. Jack Dempsey (T-H-L) — the biggest American sporting event of 1919 and one of the top 10 most famous heavyweight title fights of all time...
You'd think that if something inspired a fantastic front page like this, then it should definitely have an article.

(source)
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Would you believe that acetol (T-H-L) is a redirect to aspirin (it was an old name for this drug)? It seems that it was created as a redirect on 6 April 2011‎ by a bot (PotatoBot (T-C-L)) and there was an attempt in September 2014 to correctly redirect the name to 1-Hydroxy-2-propanone, but this was reverted by someone (who I should go and point this out to). There was also an attempt to point this out on the talk page in 2013:
IP editor wrote:Acetol is not aspirin, and should not redirect to aspirin. Acetol is 1-Hydroxy-2-propanone, a completely different compound.
I've looked and I can't find acetol on Wikipedia under any of its names (such as hydroxyacetone). It is listed at C3H6O2 (T-H-L), but not linked. Not sure if this is a case of a chemical not being notable enough (I have no idea where the line is drawn for chemicals and Wikipedia articles), or just a redirect obscuring the absence of the article. OTOH, this is so obscure, I doubt anyone really cares...

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Ron the Gnome (T-H-L)
or
Ron Broomfield (T-H-L)

Well-known Lancashire character's gnomes are auctioned off after his death.

Gnome sweet gnome: Collector has 1,700 of the garden ornaments and even DRESSES like one
He apparently had wide national coverage and raised funds for charity, and was a quite notable eccentric guy.

Should not his life be celebrated by the gnomes of Wikipedia?

Could not WMUK handle this small thing?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Zoloft wrote: Could not WMUK handle this small thing?
Anyone who makes a smutty joke about someone "handling a small thing" will be banninated instantly.

Wait, no! Shi-

This user has been banned by the WPO Civility Committee

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:04 am

I was looking for "Alaskan Bush People," a reality show. Strangely, it's a redirect to a draft. :blink:

Draft:Alaskan Bush People (T-H-L)

Is that suppose to happen?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 am

The Joy wrote:I was looking for "Alaskan Bush People," a reality show. Strangely, it's a redirect to a draft. :blink:

Draft:Alaskan Bush People (T-H-L)

Is that suppose to happen?
It's better than describing something as a {{stub}}.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Arthur Vogel was a British chemist whose textbooks were very popular; indeed, editions revised by others continue to appear decades after his death.

http://www.soci.org/news/london/london-vogel

Arthur Vogel (T-H-L) refers to someone else.

MMAR
Banned
Wikipedia User: Mighty Morphin Army Ranger

Unread post by MMAR » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Tried to research the backstory to the EPA Supreme Court decision after it was referenced on the Daily Show. Struck out. No case article, and nothing in the article on the Clean Air Act either. Plenty of info on the gay marriage/obamacare decisions though.......

Auggie
Regular

Unread post by Auggie » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:27 am

The best example of missing articles I found was when some deletionist nimrod went through and merged all the battery articles into lists, so that there were no individual articles for AA battery or CR2032. This situation went on for months or years IIRC. Meanwhile they had articles for various gundam technologies and Pokemon. Good times.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Auggie wrote:The best example of missing articles I found was when some deletionist nimrod went through and merged all the battery articles into lists, so that there were no individual articles for AA battery or CR2032. This situation went on for months or years IIRC. Meanwhile they had articles for various gundam technologies and Pokemon. Good times.
That's interesting, but I can't see any sign of it in the history of AA battery (T-H-L), and CR2032 (T-H-L) was created as a redirect. Can you find an example revision showing it?

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Hex wrote:
Auggie wrote:The best example of missing articles I found was when some deletionist nimrod went through and merged all the battery articles into lists, so that there were no individual articles for AA battery or CR2032. This situation went on for months or years IIRC. Meanwhile they had articles for various gundam technologies and Pokemon. Good times.
That's interesting, but I can't see any sign of it in the history of AA battery (T-H-L), and CR2032 (T-H-L) was created as a redirect. Can you find an example revision showing it?
I found one on AAA battery (T-H-L): Special:Diff/318909991 (T-H-L)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:33 pm

I always forget about Special:Diff... you can also use the diff tag here.

Well found (it was in "AA battery" as well, but I missed it). It seems that what Auggie is recollecting was all the work of a user called Wtshymanski (T-C-L), who seems to be a bit of a special snowflake if you look at the history of his user talk page.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:44 am

Here's a great chance for a reader of this forum to start an article about an important, notable, and fascinating person:

Nie Qingping | qingping nie

And his name in Hanzi:
Traditional Chinese: 聶慶平
Simplified Chinese: 聂庆平
Hanyu Pinyin: Niè Qìngpíng

He's the General Manager of China Securities Finance Corporation (a Chinese government institution), an academic and author (The Long on China - Capital Market History and Financial Opening Strategy and Theory and Practice of Securities Lending) and since June, the man entrusted with more than $400 billion (US dollars) to stabilize the Chinese stock markets.

There was a juicy Bloomberg article just today, and there are enough sources to make a nice little article.

It would be a service to investors and government officials all over the planet.

I'll put the 'redlink' here: Nie Qingping (T-H-L)

Edit: Oh my!

Also a redlink: China Securities Finance Corporation (T-H-L)
Last edited by Zoloft on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Thanks to greyed.out.fields for translation and corrections

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:41 am

Zoloft wrote:Here's a great chance for a reader of this forum to start an article about an important, notable, and fascinating person:

Nie Quingping | qingping nie | 领英

He's the General Manager of China Securities Finance Corporation (a Chinese government institution), an academic and author (The Long on China - Capital Market History and Financial Opening Strategy and Theory and Practice of Securities Lending) and since June, the man entrusted with more than $400 billion (US dollars) to stabilize the Chinese stock markets.

There was a juicy Bloomberg article just today, and there are enough sources to make a nice little article.

It would be a service to investors and government officials all over the planet.

I'll put the 'redlink' here: Nie Quingping (T-H-L)

Erm, Z.: 领英 is not the guy's name.

Traditional Chinese (T-H-L): 領英
Simplified Chinese (T-H-L): 领英
Hanyu Pinyin (T-H-L): Lǐng yīng
Literally (sorta kinda): "understand excellence"
Translation: LinkedIn (T-H-L)

That said, see: Nie (surname) (T-H-L)

I was hoping to find the full Hanzi (T-H-L) for his name before I posted here. But didn't find it.

And like the good citizens of Sniddler's Gulch, I'll still live happily ever after, because I'm not really very smart.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:18 pm

greyed.out.fields wrote:
Zoloft wrote:Here's a great chance for a reader of this forum to start an article about an important, notable, and fascinating person:

Nie Qingping | qingping nie | 领英

Erm, Z.: 领英 is not the guy's name.

Traditional Chinese (T-H-L): 領英
Simplified Chinese (T-H-L): 领英
Hanyu Pinyin (T-H-L): Lǐng yīng
Literally (sorta kinda): "understand excellence"
Translation: LinkedIn (T-H-L)

That said, see: Nie (surname) (T-H-L)

I was hoping to find the full Hanzi (T-H-L) for his name before I posted here. But didn't find it.

And like the good citizens of Sniddler's Gulch, I'll still live happily ever after, because I'm not really very smart.
I removed the characters. Thanks!
Last edited by Zoloft on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typos

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:29 am

Zoloft wrote: ...
Nie Quingping | qingping nie |...
That should be "Nie Qingping", not "Nie Quingping".

And his name in Hanzi:

Just sayin'
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:59 pm

greyed.out.fields wrote:
Zoloft wrote: ...
Nie Quingping | qingping nie |...
That should be "Nie Qingping", not "Nie Quingping".

And his name in Hanzi:

Just sayin'
Fixed that as well. My phone was quite reluctant to type a q without a u following.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Here's the corrected version:

Nie Qingping | qingping nie

And his name in Hanzi:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:18 am

Katibah Nusantara is ISIL's sub-unit which consists of Malay-speaking fighters in Syria and an associated recruiting organization based in and/or targeting Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. Somewhere between 500-1,000 Malay-speaking jihadists have joined ISIL in Syria and others are reportedly trying to organize ISIL cells in their home countries.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Susan Brown, Emeritus professor of mathematics at University College London, clearly passes WP:PROF and has an Erdos number of 2, but has evidently been overlooked by the "more articles about women" editors despite this.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Poetlister wrote:Keith Stewartson (1925-83), described by Sir James Lighthill (T-H-L) as "one of the most mathematically profound of this century's great applied mathematicians". (That's last century now.) Strangely, he's on the German site.
Wait long enough and anything can happen.

Keith Stewartson (T-H-L)

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:13 am

It would helped if you had said how long you waited for - the quote doesn't give the date of your previous post. I looked it up and it was 17 June 2014. So a year and a few months - not that long.

It is an interesting phenomenon, though. It is relatively easy to make lists somewhere and track when such articles are created (if the list is on Wikipedia and wiki-linked, you can see red-links gradually turning blue). Why the articles are created, and who creates them, is another matter.

I remember a time I created lists of articles to create, and I waited so long that someone else got there first... (in this case, it was 1904 Cambridge Springs International Chess Congress (T-H-L)). I have several other similar examples.

PS. Did you notice that Arthur Vogel (chemist) (T-H-L) was created 5 days after your post above about that? And a disambiguation page was created as there was another article on a third Arthur Vogel.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:40 am

Carcharoth wrote:It would helped if you had said how long you waited for
Sorry, I'll note that next time.
PS. Did you notice that Arthur Vogel (chemist) (T-H-L) was created 5 days after your post above about that? And a disambiguation page was created as there was another article on a third Arthur Vogel.
Missed that, thanks. Is it a coincidence, I wonder?

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:40 am

Japan Ground Self-Defense Force's Annual Live Firepower Demonstration, which I jokingly refer to as the 戦争祭 (せんそう まつり / sensou matsuri / war festival). It's mentioned in the East Fuji Maneuver Area but probably deserves its own article since it usually draws in excess of 75,000 spectators during its three day run. When I Googled it, there were plenty of English articles on it, not to mention a ton from Japanese sources.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:11 am

McWhopper (T-H-L) redirects to Burger King advertising (T-H-L), yet it mentions completely nothing about McWhoppers.

Yet, Obay (T-H-L) has an article, despite McWhoppers being much more well-known than Obay (and Obay became viral before the likes of Facebook or Twitter became mainstream (and MySpace was at its peak) and Obay was only relevant to Ontario, despite receiving attention from the New York Times even).

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Johnny Au wrote:McWhopper (T-H-L) redirects to Burger King advertising (T-H-L), yet it mentions completely nothing about McWhoppers.

Yet, Obay (T-H-L) has an article, despite McWhoppers being much more well-known than Obay (and Obay became viral before the likes of Facebook or Twitter became mainstream (and MySpace was at its peak) and Obay was only relevant to Ontario, despite receiving attention from the New York Times even).
It turns out that McWhopper is actually mentioned in Burger Wars (T-H-L)

Here is one missing article: Professional activity day (T-H-L)

It is an off-day for students in Ontario from kindergarten to Grade 12 (aka high school senior), but not an off-day for teachers. Read here: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900304

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 am

Khas Khabar is apparently a notable news and media portal in India, but I can't find a Wikipedia article on it. That's a little suprising because the Indian editors are usually very dedicated to making sure anything related to India has an article.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:30 am

al-Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent (T-H-L) (AQIS) has a small section on this terror group's ongoing campaign against Bangladeshi bloggers who post things the group does not approve of. However, AQIS's serial assassination campaign against these bloggers probably deserves its own article, not just a small blurb at the bottom of the short article on this group. By the way, the article is out of date as AQIS killed a seventh blogger, Niladri Chatterjee "Niloy Neel" on 7 August. Also, the article doesn't mention AQIS's major sub-group, Ansar Al-Islam, or its Bangladesh chapter, which is apparently directly involved in these murders.

It's not like the only sources on this are in Bengali either. Isn't there a large Bangladeshi community in the UK?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:43 am

Cla68 wrote:It's not like the only sources on this are in Bengali either. Isn't there a large Bangladeshi community in the UK?
Indeed, the latest murder had plenty of coverage in the British press, though I don't think earlier ones did.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Cla68 wrote:Isn't there a large Bangladeshi community in the UK?
There's a large Bangladeshi community of paid Wikipedia editors on Elance and Freelancer.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 pm

thekohser wrote:
Cla68 wrote:Isn't there a large Bangladeshi community in the UK?
There's a large Bangladeshi community of paid Wikipedia editors on Elance and Freelancer.
If I were them I wouldn't post anything on the Internet that might be deemed offensive to a jihadist view of Islam until the last of these AQIS in Bangladesh dudes get rounded up, unless the money promised is really, really good. Three of the suspects recently arrested for killing Neel were out on bail from having allegedly killed another blogger in 2013.

MMAR
Banned
Wikipedia User: Mighty Morphin Army Ranger

Unread post by MMAR » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:59 pm

'Robsinsongate'?

As mentioned elsewhere, on the news today was an alleged £7m backhander to Peter Robinson (Northern Ireland politician) (T-H-L), the First Minister of Northern Ireland, as part of Northern Ireland's "largest ever" property deal, in which £1.2 billion of property loans were sold by the National Asset Management Agency (T-H-L) to Cerberus Capital Management (T-H-L)

Most recent story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34337965
Timeline:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33507423

On a cursory look, I can't find information on this anywhere in Wikipedia, even though it "has led to a number of inquiries, including a criminal investigation led by the National Crime Agency." and in the words of an actual journalist, "The allegation that Northern Ireland's first minister was to receive a payment is explosive." (unfortunate pun is unfortunate)

No mention has even been added to his biography (which is, as you would expect, chock full of details of other 'controversies', one of which has even generate it's own article - 'Irisgate' - Iris Robinson scandal (T-H-L).

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:18 am

Orain (T-H-L) exists, but it refers to a location in France, not a wiki-hosting service.

There should be an article for the wiki-hosting service named Orain.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Orain (T-H-L) exists, but it refers to a location in France, not a wiki-hosting service.

This is why Encyclopedia Dramatica exists:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Orain.org (NSFW)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:41 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Orain (T-H-L) exists, but it refers to a location in France, not a wiki-hosting service.

This is why Encyclopedia Dramatica exists:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Orain.org (NSFW)
I don't think that many people, even on this forum, would think that many WP articles can be compared to ED ones.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:07 pm

WP and ED attract very different demographics, which is why there should be an article on orain.org on WP.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:37 pm

According to this article in the NYTimes, on 18 September of this year, Uighur insurgents massacred 50 Han Chinese coal miners, security guards, and police at a mine in Xinjiang. There doesn't appear to be an article on it in Wikipedia and it isn't mentioned in this article.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Cla68 wrote:According to this article in the NYTimes, on 18 September of this year, Uighur insurgents massacred 50 Han Chinese coal miners, security guards, and police at a mine in Xinjiang. There doesn't appear to be an article on it in Wikipedia and it isn't mentioned in this article.
I don't think that there should be a separate article for every such incident; it's ghastly, but WP is not a newspaper. What is very wrong is to have articles on some of them but not others. I suppose it's because the English-language coverage was slight.