TWO DAYS LEFT to Run 4 Arb! Get in the Ring, Wikipediocracy!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: TWO DAYS LEFT to Run 4 Arb! Get in the Ring, Wikipediocr

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:39 am

TDA has approximately the same chance of winning as David Gerard.

BTW Do you like pie? What kind is your favorite?

RfB

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:38 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Lol, ok, it is the worst thing I think is likely to happen.
If you aren't really expecting to win, why not use your campaign to bring attention to some of the issues that you want Wikipedians to stop ignoring, the way politicians sometimes do with presidential campaigns?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:59 am

Captain Occam wrote:
The Devil's Advocate wrote:Lol, ok, it is the worst thing I think is likely to happen.
If you aren't really expecting to win, why not use your campaign to bring attention to some of the issues that you want Wikipedians to stop ignoring, the way politicians sometimes do with presidential campaigns?
Yes! Feel the ghost of Ron Paul ooze through your bones...

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:07 am

Captain Occam wrote:If you aren't really expecting to win, why not use your campaign to bring attention to some of the issues that you want Wikipedians to stop ignoring, the way politicians sometimes do with presidential campaigns?
It is not about winning or drawing attention to an issue.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:34 am

Captain Occam wrote:If you aren't really expecting to win, why not use your campaign to bring attention to some of the issues that you want Wikipedians to stop ignoring, the way politicians sometimes do with presidential campaigns?
I think Hersch is our expert on people running for President but not from a major party.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:47 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
We'd all be laughing with you if we thought you were just out for lulz, but it's more like watching a tsunami since we know you aren't. Kinda not funny, because you're one of those "pedophiles have rights too!" creeps that most of us have a hard time relating to.

Pedophiles do have rights too: they have the right to a fair trial including acquittal if warranted, the right to do their time and rejoin society if found not to be a danger, the right not to be targets of vigilante behavior whether online or offline, the right to change their heads and behavior and get better. Those who attempt to puff up their own manhoods by taking an hardline "pedophiles don't have any rights" and thumping their chests and broadbrushing these individuals with their individual problems at individual degrees are probably not so big a majority as they suppose, even here at this website.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:59 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Given The Devil's Advocate (T-C-L) consistence defense of Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)'s behavior towards children and TDA's behavior on the Wikipediocracy (T-H-L)article, TDA shall not receive my vote.
Kiefer, the Demiurge1000 connection above in the absence of specifics is a smear, plus it assumes a viewpoint of Demiurge's actions that TDA may not share, plus it's an example of the guilt by association fallacy. On your second point, I did scan the Wikipediocracy entry briefly and did not detect awful behavior by TDA. I noticed he deleted a reference to Dan Murphy's CSM article, but his objection appeared to be how it was used, that it had little to do with the article text involved.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Triptych wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Given The Devil's Advocate (T-C-L) consistence defense of Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)'s behavior towards children and TDA's behavior on the Wikipediocracy (T-H-L)article, TDA shall not receive my vote.
Kiefer, the Demiurge1000 connection above in the absence of specifics is a smear, plus it assumes a viewpoint of Demiurge's actions that TDA may not share, plus it's an example of the guilt by association fallacy.

On your second point, I did scan the Wikipediocracy entry briefly and did not detect awful behavior by TDA. I noticed he deleted a reference to Dan Murphy's CSM article, but his objection appeared to be how it was used, that it had little to do with the article text involved.
Let me be clear. I want to distance myself from TDA's candidacy and I also want to distance myself from the discussion of a Wikipediocracy slate, advocated by you and Captain Occam. Please recall that you were asked to move your "Arbcom Accountability Project" from Wikipediocracy. Please reconsider whether Arbcom causes Wikipedia's problems or whether Arbcom's failings are often merely a symptom of deeper problems. If you decide the latter, perhaps Arbcom is not an appropriate target for your activities?

All readers should note that The Devil's Advocate has no endorsement by Wikipediocracy (or its trustees) and that indeed TDA is frequently an outlier in discussions here.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Let me be clear. I want to distance myself from TDA's candidacy and I also want to distance myself from the discussion of a Wikipediocracy slate, advocated by you and Captain Occam. Please recall that you were asked to move your "Arbcom Accountability Project" from Wikipediocracy. Please reconsider whether Arbcom causes Wikipedia's problems or whether Arbcom's failings are often merely a symptom of deeper problems. If you decide the latter, perhaps Arbcom is not an appropriate target for your activities?

All readers should note that The Devil's Advocate has no endorsement by Wikipediocracy (or its trustees) and that indeed TDA is frequently an outlier in discussions here.
Just to be clear, the original reason I supported having a candidate from WO is because it seemed like there were going to be fewer candidates than openings, so every candidate who ran would be guaranteed a seat as long as they got at least 50% support. Wanting to create some competition for the candidates was at least as much of a reason as wanting someone on ArbCom who’d care about making reforms. Now that there are 26 candidates, having a candidate from WO isn’t quite so important.

That said, I do support TDA’s candidacy, even though I know his odds of winning aren’t very good. There’s been some discussion at Wikipedia recently about possibly having a “public advocate” for editors, rather than it always being editors’ sole responsibility to defend themselves. I imagine that if TDA were on ArbCom, that would be the sort of role he’d take.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Let me be clear. I want to distance myself from TDA's candidacy and I also want to distance myself from the discussion of a Wikipediocracy slate, advocated by you and Captain Occam.
I suspect even the most rabid WO haters are aware that we're not a one-voice-ish kinda group.
This is not a signature.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:58 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Let me be clear. I want to distance myself from TDA's candidacy and I also want to distance myself from the discussion of a Wikipediocracy slate, advocated by you and Captain Occam.
I suspect even the most rabid WO haters are aware that we're not a one-voice-ish kinda group.
We're like a three-headed giant.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:47 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
We're actually quite like this. You goatherd. Includes one Wikipedia Arbitrator in brown coat. Possible Wnt (T-C-L) sighting.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing