Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

DYKs - Do you care ...?

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Can we have a thread on particularly boring DYKs? Here's one:

6:00, 4 March 2013

Did you know ... that the nomoli statues (pictured) discovered in Sierra Leone are of unknown origin?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Re: Do you care ...?

Unread post by Malleus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Outsider wrote:Can we have a thread on particularly boring DYKs? Here's one:

Did you know ... that the nomoli statues (pictured) discovered in Sierra Leone are of unknown origin?
DYK has been a joke for years now, but nobody seems to care.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 am

Your right Malleus. In both statements

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 am

Outsider wrote:Can we have a thread on particularly boring DYKs? Here's one:

That's more than just boring... it's spectacularly devoid of information.

Edit: Added 'DYKs' to title.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Re: DYKs - Do you care ...?

Unread post by Hex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:49 pm

In the nine years since they began appearing, I can probably count the number of times I've clicked on a "DYK" on the fingers of one hand. They appear to exist mainly for the purpose of providing a social-climbing bureaucracy game within Wikipedia so that people can give themselves "awards" on their user pages.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Hex wrote:In the nine years since they began appearing, I can probably count the number of times I've clicked on a "DYK" on the fingers of one hand. They appear to exist mainly for the purpose of providing a social-climbing bureaucracy game within Wikipedia so that people can give themselves "awards" on their user pages.
Correct. I have not even attempted to look at the DYK "system", because it is beneath notice.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Hex wrote:In the nine years since they began appearing, I can probably count the number of times I've clicked on a "DYK" on the fingers of one hand. They appear to exist mainly for the purpose of providing a social-climbing bureaucracy game within Wikipedia so that people can give themselves "awards" on their user pages.
Correct. I have not even attempted to look at the DYK "system", because it is beneath notice.
Perhaps you should. Its where Bamkin aimed his shameless attempt at turning wikipedia into the Gibraltar tourist board after all. If less people thought like you - someone might have noticed a bit earlier what he was doing.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Anroth wrote:Perhaps you should. Its where Bamkin aimed his shameless attempt at turning wikipedia into the Gibraltar tourist board after all. If less people thought like you - someone might have noticed a bit earlier what he was doing.
If you're willing to help me, by making random samples of past DYK posts so I can analyze them statistically, then I'd be interested.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 am

I actually started doing that as a personal project into the quality of DYK a couple months ago. Unfortunately life got very very busy so I wasnt able to finish it.

After some random sampling of DYK's from 2012, I was finding was there is/was a clear correlation between the 'good quality' DYK's and specific reviewing editors. And by 'good quality' I wasnt going by subjective criteria, I was concentrating on basic things like writing quality (spelling, punctuation) and even then I was being quite relaxed. A couple of transposed letters here and there - ok. Using 'Supposebly' - not so ok. But also basic article things like correct sourcing. Does the source/ref support the statement in the article.

Unsurprisingly, those reviewers who stuck to the letter of the DYK submission criteria tended to vary from 'bad' to 'okay but boring'. While those reviewers who looked in more detail (Are the sources that are NOT related to the hook ok, that sort of thing) tended to promote/review more interesting and better written DYK's. I asked a few questions of the various reviewers, however I got a bit of hostility from those following the letter, and again unsurprisingly, much more co-operation from those reviewers going out of their way to check extra stuff.

I dont consider a badly written/poor DYK the fault of ther main article creator, I consider its inclusion on the main page as a fault of the reviewer who passed it.

Moswento
Wikipedia User: Moswento

Unread post by Moswento » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 am

Anroth wrote:I dont consider a badly written/poor DYK the fault of ther main article creator, I consider its inclusion on the main page as a fault of the reviewer who passed it.
I agree. The "Quid Pro Quo" system at DYK encourages a lot of lazy reviewing.

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

The history of DYK is rather difficult to explain. Many content administrators are involved in that area, but there is a difficulty finding good-quality articles for that process for various reasons. Primarily, the process has become mostly bureaucratized, with certain editors trying to control the reviewing process. I gave up on it after an incident in which one reviewer wouldn't promote an article I expanded because it wasn't 5x expansion but something like 4.6x and I started arguing with them and noticed it was a hopeless drama. Many of these "reviewers" doesn't even go though the articles and just passes them right away as there is a rule that if you want to submit an article for DYK, you need to "review" another candidate. Thus we had BLP violations (one if I'm not mistaken was poorly sourced libel that JzG nuked on site) and most importantly copyvios on the main page in a frequent basis. SandyGeorgia did an amazing job in exposing all those copyright violations from DYK, but it's still a broken process with uninteresting hooks ... that "Like You" was Daddy Yankee's second best performing single in the United States in 2005 behind "Gasolina"?" a recent example, and people who are more interested in winning the WikiCup and not really checking the hooks correctly.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Jaranda wrote:people who are more interested in winning the WikiCup
The what?

Oh good grief.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:21 am

Jaranda wrote:The history of DYK is rather difficult to explain. Many content administrators are involved in that area, but there is a difficulty finding good-quality articles for that process for various reasons. Primarily, the process has become mostly bureaucratized, with certain editors trying to control the reviewing process. I gave up on it after an incident in which one reviewer wouldn't promote an article I expanded because it wasn't 5x expansion but something like 4.6x and I started arguing with them and noticed it was a hopeless drama. Many of these "reviewers" doesn't even go though the articles and just passes them right away as there is a rule that if you want to submit an article for DYK, you need to "review" another candidate. Thus we had BLP violations (one if I'm not mistaken was poorly sourced libel that JzG nuked on site) and most importantly copyvios on the main page in a frequent basis. SandyGeorgia did an amazing job in exposing all those copyright violations from DYK, but it's still a broken process with uninteresting hooks ... that "Like You" was Daddy Yankee's second best performing single in the United States in 2005 behind "Gasolina"?" a recent example, and people who are more interested in winning the WikiCup and not really checking the hooks correctly.
I gave up on it after I discovered that there were hidden rules that only applied to certain types of articles. DYK is a waste of space.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:31 am

Malleus wrote:I gave up on it after I discovered that there were hidden rules that only applied to certain types of articles. DYK is a waste of space.
Once again: stop bitching, and prove it.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:17 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Malleus wrote:I gave up on it after I discovered that there were hidden rules that only applied to certain types of articles. DYK is a waste of space.
You really are a complete arse.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:36 am

Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
It would be disturbing if he were an incomplete arse. :blink: :sick:

Maybe you could do a blog post on this subject? :idea:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:14 am

The Joy wrote:
Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:

I'm an incomplete ass. I had an appendectomy. Parts of me are missing...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Vigilant wrote:
The Joy wrote:
Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:

I'm an incomplete ass. I had an appendectomy. Parts of me are missing...
Ah, the old dispute about "the container for the thing contained."

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 pm

From today's DYK...
... that Gene Hobbs, a regular contributor to Wikipedia's scuba articles, was named the 2010 Divers Alert Network/Rolex Diver of the year?
They even link his contributions in the hook.... :thumbsdown:

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Jaranda wrote:From today's DYK...
... that Gene Hobbs, a regular contributor to Wikipedia's scuba articles, was named the 2010 Divers Alert Network/Rolex Diver of the year?
They even link his contributions in the hook.... :thumbsdown:
Didn't they just try to torpedo the nomination for the "Wikipedia controversies" article on the basis that it was self-referential?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm

BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!

WINNAR!

With the exception of the PR people and their lackeys, who have figured out that ad space is ad space and millions of eyes a day do indeed have value to government entities seeking to increase their "brand exposure" as a tourist destination, let's say...

RfB

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!-BING!

WINNAR!

With the exception of the PR people and their lackeys, who have figured out that ad space is ad space and millions of eyes a day do indeed have value to government entities seeking to increase their "brand exposure" as a tourist destination, let's say...

RfB
Which makes it all the more delicious to mess with Prioryman/Bamkin/etc
They have a direct financial incentive to continue with the Gibraltar stuff while I'm in it for the lulz.

It must be so frustrating to lose so often.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

I don't know if you can judge by how often someone who edits Wikipedia does it. The main page gets 9 million views a day and page view statistics for DYK entries do often show a pick-up when it appears. Some are duds, sure, but quite a few are not. You have to consider that of those who look at the main page only a portion will read over the DYK section and of them only a portion will go on to look at the actual article.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:I don't know if you can judge by how often someone who edits Wikipedia does it.
It's true - how many regulars uninvolved with front page processes ever look at the front page anyway? I'm not a good person to comment on it. But I do think there's a certain element of gaming/back-patting to the DYK process.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Maybe so. There's a couple of interlocking issues going on at DYK, one of which is the need to review submissions, which is why we now have the "review one to submit one" rule. But the bigger issue is that there needs to be some sort of "is this actually interesting" test applied. I've put in a bunch of DYKs, and gotten two or three on the 5,000 views list, but I only bother to put one in if I can find a good hook for it. I have to think that the deep incuriosity of the average person means that they are easily uninterested on the one hand, but on the other, the fannishness which powers article creation means a lot of dull trivia is held "interesting".

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Malleus wrote: DYK has been a joke for years now, but nobody seems to care.
An instructive and black-comic episode:

I blocked this hook

Did you know ... that Christina Aguilera sings about how she was born to sing on her song "Sing for Me"?

which came from a DYK-nominated article that was also nominated for Good-Article status.

The DYK talk-page supported my blocking of the article, because the article "Sing for Me" by Christina Aguilera was not written in standard-written English.

The author, part of the Rihanna mutual-admiration society, claimed that he had reviewed dozens of GAs and had written 45 GA articles.

Always passive aggressive, Demiurge1000 appeared fantastically as Don Adriano de Armado, again with an inexplicable emotional involvement with a young Moth.

The episode is instructive, because standards were upheld, despite kilobytes of whining from an editor who has 45 GAs, apparently given by the other members of the Rihanna project, despite his not being able to write English.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
Malleus wrote: DYK has been a joke for years now, but nobody seems to care.
An instructive and black-comic episode:

I blocked this hook

Did you know ... that Christina Aguilera sings about how she was born to sing on her song "Sing for Me"?

which came from a DYK-nominated article that was also nominated for Good-Article status.

The DYK talk-page supported my blocking of the article, because the article "Sing for Me" by Christina Aguilera was not written in standard-written English.

The author, part of the Rihanna mutual-admiration society, claimed that he had reviewed dozens of GAs and had written 45 GA articles.

Always passive aggressive, Demiurge1000 appeared fantastically as Don Adriano de Armado, again with an inexplicable emotional involvement with a young Moth.

The episode is instructive, because standards were upheld. I failed the nomination for GA because it was not ready for DYK. Soon afterword, another pop-song buddy removed the failure. The notice of the DYK failure was also removed from the article's talk page, today. I've received complaints on my talk page.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 am

Hex wrote:It's true - how many regulars uninvolved with front page processes ever look at the front page anyway? I'm not a good person to comment on it. But I do think there's a certain element of gaming/back-patting to the DYK process.
That is part of the incentive. From a community perspective, the DYK process creates an incentive for basic content work. It allows people to feel as if their work does not go unrecognized, since they aren't generally getting any financial compensation for it. Plus, there is some feeling of personal accomplishment involved in seeing one's work displayed on the front page of one of the most trafficked sites on the Internet. For readers, the process serves as a way to give them little morsels of interesting information and invite them to learn more about something they may not have known about before seeing it on the main page. Obviously, as the main page of Wikipedia is prime online real estate it will also be a magnet for promotional activities and trolling.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am

When did they put this on the main page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... mprovement

I thought the point of DYK was to improve the DYK articles? Isn't this redundant?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 am

The Joy wrote:When did they put this on the main page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... mprovement

I thought the point of DYK was to improve the DYK articles? Isn't this redundant?
As I understand it, it's meant to draw attention to articles that need improvement that don't meet DYK standards (i.e. older articles and ones which have not had a recent arbitrary-percentage expansion). It's supposed to be good for pretty much any article that is under GA status.

DYK has never been very effective when it comes to article improvements. I've had a few DYKs on the main page here and there and never saw the same sort of activity spike as I saw from TFA. (Of course, TFA is more effective as a vandalism promoter, but I digress...) I imagine TAFI will be similarly ineffective.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 am

Scott5114 wrote:As I understand it, it's meant to draw attention to articles that need improvement that don't meet DYK standards (i.e. older articles and ones which have not had a recent arbitrary-percentage expansion). It's supposed to be good for pretty much any article that is under GA status.

DYK has never been very effective when it comes to article improvements. I've had a few DYKs on the main page here and there and never saw the same sort of activity spike as I saw from TFA. (Of course, TFA is more effective as a vandalism promoter, but I digress...) I imagine TAFI will be similarly ineffective.
Well, TFA is more prominent than DYK. I would say that DYK is not very good at promoting article improvement, but it serves other functions. Articles for improvement probably will show some measure of success, though less likely because of any main page listing and more likely because of transclusions to various areas frequented by regulars.

- Noam Chomsky

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 am

... that after the famine in North Korea, a potato revolution (potato mound pictured) began?
Potato production in North Korea (T-H-L)

No reference to the below music? :(

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 am

I have done several DYKs of astronomy articles with hooks that I try to make interesting. Amazing how much of DYK is either pop culture or niche US history.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:09 am

Wer900 wrote:I have done several DYKs of astronomy articles with hooks that I try to make interesting. Amazing how much of DYK is either pop culture or niche US history.
Given the completely baffling (read: idiotic) rule that only new articles are allowed, I'm hardly surprised.

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:07 am

Hex wrote:
Wer900 wrote:I have done several DYKs of astronomy articles with hooks that I try to make interesting. Amazing how much of DYK is either pop culture or niche US history.
Given the completely baffling (read: idiotic) rule that only new articles are allowed, I'm hardly surprised.
I think the intention is that DYK is supposed to give new, underdeveloped articles a place on the front page, where they will draw attention and possibly be expanded.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:18 am

Scott5114 wrote:
Hex wrote:
I think the intention is that DYK is supposed to give new, underdeveloped articles a place on the front page, where they will draw attention and possibly be expanded.
That used to be the intention. These days, the intention is to enable established editors to get their stuff on the main page, which after all gets over ten million views a day.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:19 am

Scott5114 wrote:
Hex wrote:
That's true. Hex, what I'm more angry at is that we have no expert engagement to speak of, and have an angry retinue of cabals who are merely there for the intrigue and power-plays. We need to start a revolution of some sort on Wikipedia for institutionalized, representative governance. Scott is spot-on though; DYKs are supposed to allow new articles to have a chance at being seen. It needs a better review process to select for better ones.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Scott5114 wrote: I think the intention is that DYK is supposed to give new, underdeveloped articles a place on the front page, where they will draw attention and possibly be expanded.
Are the people most likely to expand an article they've never seen before likely to be reading the front page? I really doubt it. I'd also be willing to bet that a good sampling of articles that have appeared there would show that the vast majority have received very little or even no improvement as a result. If you look at the discussion at Wikipedia talk:Today's articles for improvement (T-H-L), that initiative, which was explicit in its intent to improve articles via front page exposure, was a failure. Why would DYK, which is pitched purely as a diversion for the curious, be any different, let alone better?
HRIP7 wrote:That used to be the intention. These days, the intention is to enable established editors to get their stuff on the main page, which after all gets over ten million views a day.
It's also an invaluable source of those little doodads you can put on your user page. And when you've got some of those, you can glue them together to make even bigger doodads to pat yourself on the back with. See if you can read the bottom of that page without gagging a little.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 pm

... that the North and South State Street Historic Districts (pictured) in Belvidere, Illinois were intended to form one large historic district, but had to be split?"
A user, Ed raises this as one of the potntially most boring.

Duane
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MisterDuane

Unread post by Duane » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 am

that although Lady Gaga tweeted that Adam Lambert was "perfect" to cover her song "Applause" in his Glee debut episode "A Katy or a Gaga (T-H-L)" "cause he's glammer", what he sang was "Marry the Night"?
If someone told me about this "interesting fact", my response would be "who gives a crap?" This only interests a specific audience and no way deserves to be on the main page of a site that's supposed to be worldwide.
"...and, oh, such fun indeed."

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56 am

Duane wrote:
that although Lady Gaga tweeted that Adam Lambert was "perfect" to cover her song "Applause" in his Glee debut episode "A Katy or a Gaga (T-H-L)" "cause he's glammer", what he sang was "Marry the Night"?
If someone told me about this "interesting fact", my response would be "who gives a crap?" This only interests a specific audience and no way deserves to be on the main page of a site that's supposed to be worldwide.
One thing about the science DYKs. The editors writing and promoting them are so brain dead, the science is made up, and the comprehension level from the writer and promoter is so low, that they often miss the most interesting fact about the organism or the science.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:18 am

enwikibadscience wrote:
Duane wrote:
One thing about the science DYKs. The editors writing and promoting them are so brain dead, the science is made up, and the comprehension level from the writer and promoter is so low, that they often miss the most interesting fact about the organism or the science.
I just saw this DYK:
... that after an atomic element has been isolated, it gets a trivial name?
Trivial name (T-H-L)

The painting of a naked Greek god scared me to death at first. I have a pop-up feature on my preferences that shows a snip of the article if you hover over the link. I had to do a double take on ol' Mercury. It looked like a photo of an angry, naked man. I thought Major Bonkers (T-C-L) had left it there. :sick:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:03 am

The Joy wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Duane wrote:
I just saw this DYK:
... that after an atomic element has been isolated, it gets a trivial name?
Trivial name (T-H-L)

The painting of a naked Greek god scared me to death at first. I have a pop-up feature on my preferences that shows a snip of the article if you hover over the link. I had to do a double take on ol' Mercury. It looked like a photo of an angry, naked man. I thought Major Bonkers (T-C-L) had left it there. :sick:
Well, that's a confusing, contradictory, badly written piece of junk; and I can't find the hook in the source, although I see it contradicted in the source.

Great find; I will use it on my blog.