extlinks

Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

extlinks

Unread post by Hex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 pm

This might be of use to someone: extlinks: "utility to download and parse wikipedia external links". As of today, "it found a total of 121,942,660 external links from en de fr it pl ja es ru pt nl wikipedias".
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: extlinks

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:51 am

Hex wrote:This might be of use to someone: extlinks: "utility to download and parse wikipedia external links". As of today, "it found a total of 121,942,660 external links from en de fr it pl ja es ru pt nl wikipedias".
What proportion are to other WMF sites or to Wikia?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Dunno. That's why the tool exists, so you can find out if you want.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Hex wrote:Dunno. That's why the tool exists, so you can find out if you want.
The tool is not like a hammer or a saw, which I know how to use. It is more like a multi-slice computed tomography tool, which I don't know how to use.

Could someone extract the external links from just the English Wikipedia, then post the list somewhere, for use by hammer and saw people?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:39 pm

thekohser wrote: Could someone extract the external links from just the English Wikipedia, then post the list somewhere, for use by hammer and saw people?
I ran it and killed it after the output had reached 8GB with no indication of how long it had to go. Sharing the results is unfortunately probably not very practical.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Outsider wrote:What proportion are to other WMF sites or to Wikia?
From our book wiki:
Links from English Wikipedia to Wikia, as of February 2012: 30,493. The count as of 22 July 2012 was 32,336 links. As of May 2013, it had declined to 29,107 links, possibly because of an unnoticed attempt to cut back on some Wikia links.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Outsider wrote:What proportion are to other WMF sites or to Wikia?
From our book wiki:
Links from English Wikipedia to Wikia, as of February 2012: 30,493. The count as of 22 July 2012 was 32,336 links. As of May 2013, it had declined to 29,107 links, possibly because of an unnoticed attempt to cut back on some Wikia links.
That might not be accurate, depending on what tools you're using. The internal wiki tools probably don't include Memory Alpha links as Wikia links, for example, but they are Wikia links nonetheless.
This is not a signature.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:That might not be accurate, depending on what tools you're using. The internal wiki tools probably don't include Memory Alpha links as Wikia links, for example, but they are Wikia links nonetheless.
It included hundreds of Memory Alpha links, because I did not use "internal tools". I manually counted all the links to any and all Wikia URLs.