:sparkles: Spellbinding. :sparkles:

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Listen to Wikipedia

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 am

One of the best uses of Wikipedia I've witnessed in years!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 am

This is limited to article edits, isn't it? I imagine it would sound a lot different if it included edits to talk pages, and to project pages such as AN/I.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Listen to Wikipedia

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Brian Anderson, Motherboard: This real-time sonification of Wikipedia's change feed will make you weep

Erm ... it's about this: http://listen.hatnote.com/

Personally, I think the sound effects could be tweaked: to reflect the various spelling errors, vandalism, misrepresentations, unsourced defamation, screaming at ANI, etc., along with the good or at least indifferent edits. :)

The result ought to be a little more cacophonic and startling, but there you go. It's all good. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 pm

HRIP7 wrote:Brian Anderson, Motherboard: This real-time sonification of Wikipedia's change feed will make you weep

Personally, I think the sound effects could be tweaked: to reflect the various spelling errors, vandalism, misrepresentations, unsourced defamation, screaming at ANI, etc., along with the good or at least indifferent edits. :)

The result ought to be a little more cacophonic and startling, but there you go. It's all good. Zzzzzzzzzz.
Ha! Was thinking much the same thing.. I reckon various farmyard animal noises would be most appropriate.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Listen To Wikipedia Brings Music To Page Edits

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

This is the silly season!

http://www.webpronews.com/listen-to-wik ... ts-2013-08
The idea of Wikipedia does not necessarily produce Zen-like feelings. A good resource for quick research, or a place to catch up on missed story arcs, perhaps, but tranquility is not the first thing that pops into your head. Especially in a world where Wikipedia entry defacement and manipulation is a very real thing. However, thanks to the efforts of the “Listen to Wikipedia” project, you can get closer to Zen whenever someone edits a particular entry.

Simply enough, the project, which was created by Stephen LaPorte and Mahmoud Hashemi, plays soothing, ambient-style music whenever a Wikipedia pages is edited.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Listen To Wikipedia Brings Music To Page Edits

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Mods, I hope that Outsider's note could be added to the existing thread about listening to Wikipedia as music.

Which might then be merged into the other thread about listening to Wikipedia as music.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Listen To Wikipedia Brings Music To Page Edits

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 pm

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 am

"Listen to Wikipedia" now mentioned on the dramaboard: Wikipedia:ANI#Special:Contributions.2F99.181.135.238 (T-H-L). Page-hits will not doubt go up.
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:47 am

Smiley wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:Brian Anderson, Motherboard: This real-time sonification of Wikipedia's change feed will make you weep

Ha! Was thinking much the same thing.. I reckon various farmyard animal noises would be most appropriate.
Serious subjects get musical tones, popular culture cruft gets abrasive noise, volume correlated to number of total edits.

RfB

Mancunium
Habitué

The Song of Wikipedia

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:18 am

"Listen to Wikipedia" has another thread on this sites, but the Search function can't locate it for me.

Someone turned Wikipedia into a beautiful song
by Adam Epstein, Quartz, 11 November 2014 linkhttp://qz.com/294781/someone-turned-wik ... iful-song/[/link]
Everyone’s favorite internet encyclopedia, it turns out, makes some incredibly soothing music when translated into sound. Mahmoud Hashemi and Stephen LaPorte‘s project Listen to Wikipedia converts the edits that people make to Wikipedia pages into sounds that, remarkably, synthesize perfectly. The result is an unlikely orchestra of bells and strings, and you can listen to it for hours. This is how the site works:

[... I don't care how it works ...]

Listen to Wikipedia is open-source and collects its data in real-time from Wikimon [linkhttps://github.com/hatnote/wikimon[/link]]. [...] There is a strange order and rhythm to the music of Wikipedia. It sounds almost intentional. Hashemi and LaPorte, of course, designed the notes to be pleasing and make sense musically, but they still come across as if scored by a composer—not generated by a series of random, unconnected edits.
Who knew someone editing the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' Wikipedia page could be so beautiful?
There is no such thing as Randomness (T-H-L).
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Re: The Song of Wikipedia

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:02 am

Wikipedia Edits Make Relaxing Music
by Lily Hay Newman, Slate, 11 November 2014 linkhttp://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... shemi.html[/link]
It seems like Wikipedia editing involves a lot of drama, between eliminating promotional material, adding important facts, and cleaning up after someone adds "penis" to a bunch of entries about antique furniture. But the sound of Wikipedia is surprisingly mellow and relaxing. Stephen LaPorte, legal counsel to the Wikimedia Foundation, and Mahmoud Hashemi, a developer at eBay, have a blog called {{Hatnote}}, where they post projects, especially ones related to Wikipedia. Their Listen to Wikipedia tool turns changes on the service into sounds. [...] Originally posted over the summer, the project surfaced on Hacker News and Gizmodo today, probably because everyone needs some calming music to keep them going at work. And Listen to Wikipedia is open-source in case you ever want to build on it.

Probably better on 'cid
former Living Person

Ross McPherson
Gregarious

Re: The Song of Wikipedia

Unread post by Ross McPherson » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Crowd sourcing - as old as the music of the spheres.

Evidently the trick is not to focus on any one page for long, or there would be deafening silence (no edits) or only bells (a personal essay) or only strings (a deletionist at work). An edit war might be worth listening to for a while but it would not sound so mystical or oriental as this transcendental-meditation-as-you-sleep stuff here, created out of global edits:
http://listen.hatnote.com

Good therapy for all ex-Wikipedians. Thanks guys.
Thoroughly impartial

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:29 am

Merged topics together.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄