Kafkaesque

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Kafkaesque

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:01 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:One wall of shit after another. Now you see why I've given up trying to calculate how much argumentation is on WP servers?
Doesn't it make you wonder whether there is more editing in article space or drama space?
If you added up all the old revisions for both article content and talkpage/noticeboard crap, the article-content count might
be larger. Maybe. Because it's almost impossible to find all the argumentation, and so many things were rev-deleted
or oversighted anyway, making even a rough estimate is probably impossible.
And if you add in IRC, the mailing lists, email, etc, which is most certainly not used for article space, the argument side becomes grossly lopsided.

You could even say that wikipedia is an MMORPG/social media website with a half-assed encyclopedia attached.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 am

Vigilant wrote:And if you add in IRC, the mailing lists, email, etc, which is most certainly not used for article space, the argument side becomes grossly lopsided.

You could even say that wikipedia is an MMORPG/social media website with a half-assed encyclopedia attached.
Can't argue with that. IRC is like heroin to ADHD teenagers (and adults, what's the real difference other than age?).
The amount of crap that has passed thru "official" Wikimedia IRC channels would be enough to make a hundred Wikipedias -- of crap.

I don't know who you would ask about IRC traffic levels, even the people who run IRC servers don't seem to care,
until it's time to pay their bandwidth bills, I suppose.

Note this list of "popular IRC servers". Not updated since 2003.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:25 pm

thekohser wrote:You apparently managed to properly comprehend about 12% of my point in addressing this topic. Congratulations. That's about double what I would have given you credit for.
Once again, I must congratulate you on a spectacular cover-up reply. You deserve an award. How do we give barnstars here?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Outsider wrote:
thekohser wrote:You apparently managed to properly comprehend about 12% of my point in addressing this topic. Congratulations. That's about double what I would have given you credit for.
Once again, I must congratulate you on a spectacular cover-up reply. You deserve an award. How do we give barnstars here?
I generally put them on the profiles of banned members.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Wikipedia: ef schmunzelt zurück
eigentümlich frei, 15 July 2013 link

A German right-libertarian (Neuen Rechten/New Right) political magazine has declared war on Wikipedia.
translation:
Anti-defamation campaign against the Internet Encyclopedia

In autumn 2012, eigentümlich frei (ef) proudly entered the third phase of the fight against totalitarian reaction. Legendary Indian freedom fighter Gandhi once said, "first they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win". The fight against ef is being conducted online by internet encyclopedia Wikipedia. So far its activists and ideologues have not expected resistance. But now our fundraiser is completed and we will fight them with a wink and many facts. Thanks to the support of many small and large donations, today is the beginning of the ef-defamation campaign against Wikipedia.

Web surfers will soon see our "wiki" banner on various internet sites. A click on the ad leads to our "Save Wikipedia" site, and much information about Wikipedia's dubious scientists, activists and detractors, as well as on some of the real experts, and our colleagues here in our libertarian magazine.

Libertarian Nazis? Far right? If you want to read the truth about eigentümlich frei, read "Save Wikipedia". Hey, hey, Wiki!
Here is their "Save Wikipedia" website: link
and here is their German Wikipedia article: link
former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Mancunium wrote:Wikipedia: ef schmunzelt zurück

A German right-libertarian (Neuen Rechten/New Right) political magazine has declared war on Wikipedia.
translation:

In autumn 2012, eigentümlich frei (ef) proudly entered the third phase of the fight against totalitarian reaction. Legendary Indian freedom fighter Gandhi once said, "first they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win". The fight against ef is being conducted online by internet encyclopedia Wikipedia. So far its activists and ideologues have not expected resistance. But now our fundraiser is completed and we will fight them with a wink and many facts. Thanks to the support of many small and large donations, today is the beginning of the ef-defamation campaign against Wikipedia.

Web surfers will soon see our "wiki" banner on various internet sites. A click on the ad leads to our "Save Wikipedia" site, and much information about Wikipedia's dubious scientists, activists and detractors, as well as on some of the real experts, and our colleagues here in our libertarian magazine.

Libertarian Nazis? Far right? If you want to read the truth about eigentümlich frei, read "Save Wikipedia". Hey, hey, Wiki!
:D

They've got it in the wrong ordnung.

First, they're going to ridicule Wikipedia, then they're going to fight it, and lose, because everyone will ignore them.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Outsider wrote:
I generally put them on the profiles of banned members.
:bow:

All hail Zoloft.

Got your bags packed, Outsider?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Zoloft wrote:

translation:

First, they're going to ridicule Wikipedia, then they're going to fight it, and lose, because everyone will ignore them.
They don't seem to realize that at least one prominent Wikipedian is on their side.

Objectivist Living
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales letters -link

or maybe not.

The Forum for Ayn Rand Fans
Jimmy Wales: Objectivist - link
former Living Person

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Mancunium wrote:
Zoloft wrote:

translation:

They don't seem to realize that at least one prominent Wikipedian is on their side.

Objectivist Living
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales letters -link

or maybe not.

The Forum for Ayn Rand Fans
Jimmy Wales: Objectivist - link
I realized that. I have a feeling that they will somehow be helped by Wales.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:25 pm

An intern on NPR’s Social Media Desk reports on a gathering of Wikipedians as if it were a Wikipedia page:

The Great American Wiknic [edit]
OPB, 16 July 2013 link
The volunteer editors of Wikipedia could be anyone: Your mail carrier, your neighbor, your third-grade teacher, your third-grader. And while most of the time these contributors are mere disambiguated user names behind a computer screen, when they get together, it’s a celebration of all things Wiki and open — IRL, of course.

On a recent Sunday, some members of the Wikimedia D.C. chapter — an eclectic mix of 50 or so area academics, professionals and all-around geeks — met up in Meridian Hill Park, not far from the White House, as part of the nationwide “Great American Wiknic.”

The group picnic, like the encyclopedia itself, was potluck. But food was decidedly not the focus of the gathering, as conversation turned to the members’ shared passion for the Wikimedian mission.

For Wikipedian Fran Rogers, this is one of the ultimate takeaways of the project. “Because Wikipedia is freely licensed content, copyright-wise. Even if the foundation disappeared, the content would still live on forever,” she says. “The content is going to be with us until the end of human history* more or less, in some form or another.”
*The end of history may refer to:
-The advent of a particular political and economic system as a signal of the end-point of humanity's sociocultural evolution and the final form of human government, as posited by Thomas More in Utopia, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Karl Marx, Vladimir Solovyov and Francis Fukuyama
-The End of History?, a 1989 essay by Fukuyama published in the international-affairs journal The National Interest
-The End of History and the Last Man, a 1992 political book by Fukuyama expanding on his essay on the same subject
-The End of History, a 2006 album by Fionn Regan
-The End of History, a 55% ABV beer made by the BrewDog brewery and packaged inside small stuffed animals
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Added a comment about 2011 San Francisco wiki picnic, complete with security guards to keep an eye on a certain dangerous attendee. We'll see if NPR publishes it.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm

thekohser wrote:Added a comment about 2011 San Francisco wiki picnic, complete with security guards to keep an eye on a certain dangerous attendee. We'll see if NPR publishes it.
I always found that very odd.
They'll let Morrow go to a wiki meetup with a security guard, but they ban a WO member from similar meetings.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Vigilant wrote:
thekohser wrote:Added a comment about 2011 San Francisco wiki picnic, complete with security guards to keep an eye on a certain dangerous attendee. We'll see if NPR publishes it.
They'll let Morrow go to a wiki meetup with a security guard, but they ban a WO member from similar meetings.
Thank God that I wasn't in San Francisco at the time.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
And why might that be?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
And why might that be?
Beating up that guy in public would just validate him.
Trying to beat that guy up and failing, on the other hand, would be hilarious.

Oooh. I've just again discovered I'm not a very nice person.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
And why might that be?
I have no desire to meet Wikipediots in person. That is the most-represented constituency at "meetups" and Wikimania.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
And why might that be?
I have no desire to meet Wikipediots in person. That is the most-represented constituency at "meetups" and Wikimania.
I was going to go to the last SF wiki picnic, but an awesome opportunity to wash my cat opened up at the last minute.
Maybe next year.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
And why might that be?
I was going to go to the last SF wiki picnic, but an awesome opportunity to wash my cat opened up at the last minute.
Maybe next year.
Oliver Keyes will bring the barbecue lighter, and TParis the lighter fluid.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Wer900 wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
And why might that be?
Maybe next year.
Oliver Keyes will bring the barbecue lighter, and TParis the lighter fluid.
That's massage oil, baybeee

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:09 am

Looks like they ran it. Don't forget the "annotated" version:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... osmall.jpg

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:45 am

The 10 Least Scary Movies ... According to Their Wikipedia Pages
Next Movie, 1 August 2012 link
Way back in January, on this very website, we covered the scariest movies according to their Wikipedia page plot summaries. To say the least, the article sparked a lively discussion. Hordes of anonymous Internet denizens were shocked, horrified, appalled and most of all confused, steadfastly incapable of understanding why an adult human would judge a film on its Wikipedia page plot summary instead of just, you know, watching it.

And I get it. I get it, guys. I'm with you.

In fact, in the name of solidarity, I'd like to publicly acknowledge that there are Wikipedia page plot summaries of horror movies that (gasp) aren't even scary! I know! I feel like we're getting somewhere, everybody. I feel like we just had a breakthrough in group.

Here are ten that could maybe use a 3 a.m. edit or two by a bored computer nerd in Wyoming

10. 'The Haunting' (1999)

A free reminder to those gracious folk who genuinely edit Wikipedia pages with the intended benefit of improving people's lives and not just for the humor in adding yourself as a famous resident of a random town in North Carolina for an insignificant and dubious world record: You have to be able to at least write coherently, if not with pizzazz. And man, does "The Haunting" ever lose me one paragraph into its plot summary. Lili Taylor's mom dies and her sister hates her for no reason but also BOOM phone call about an insomnia study (she was an insomniac?) but actually it's a crazy dude looking to scare people annnnnd no longer interested, sorry. I'll never know that Owen Wilson was decapitated by a ghost in paragraph four, because I've stopped reading.

9. 'Thinner' (1996)

Stephen King's "Thinner" is all over the place, as Stephen King movies often are ("It" made the "Scariest" list because Tim Curry as a murderous clown was horrifying to me as a six year-old/is horrifying to me now, and no overdone plot was going to put a halt to that). To be fair, there's no real formula for making the description of an obese man slowly losing weight until he dies exceedingly creepy to read, but it's not just that — there's too much other random nothingness in the plot summary for it to be in any way terrifying. His wife gives him road head? Classy. He's still worried about his wife having an affair directly after calculating that he only has two weeks to live? Who gives a s**t at that point? It's basically just the story of stupid people making incredibly stupid judgments, and therefore we don't care.

8. 'Silent Hill: Revelation 3D' (2012)

Generally if I'm going to read your Wikipedia plot summary, it's because I'm intrigued by the movie but don't have the stones, if you will, to actually sit through it for two hours. It's a win-win: I can appreciate the film (to some degree) while not having to sit in a theater cringing at the tough parts while three 12-year-olds nearby laugh at me. I say all of this because I'm pretty sure I could sit through "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" without much effort. I'd be a slightly worse person exiting the theater (because the movie blows), but at least I could do it if I wanted. Why? Because I just read the first three paragraphs of its Wikipedia plot summary, and I've been less bored in the waiting areas of various local DMVs.

7. 'The Sixth Sense' (1999)

Yes, I've seen "The Sixth Sense." I've sat down and watched the whole movie, like a big boy. Multiple times, even. Perhaps that's why its Wikipedia page plot summary doesn't really do it for me. Director M. Night Shyamalan (back in the late '90s, when he was 'roiding) creates an undertone of sadness and desolation and fear throughout the movie, and you aren't going to get that reading its Wikipedia page. I'll say this, though: the surprise ending — wherein Bruce Willis turns back at Haley Joel Osment and says "Yippie ki yay, motherf**ker," thus revealing himself to be John McClane from the "Die Hard" movies — still hits you like a ton of bricks.

6. 'Sleepy Hollow' (1999)

The first sentence of the Wikipedia plot summary for "Sleepy Hollow" loses me almost instantaneously: "Ichabod Crane is a 24-year-old New York City police officer in 1799." No. He's a schoolteacher. I can say "Johnny Appleseed is a Formula 1 driver in Liechtenstein," but that doesn't make it plausible. Let's continue: "Threatened with imprisonment for perpetually defying the traditional methods of the department for his fanaticism of forensic investigation considered to be trivial by his colleagues ..." Again, no. Worth noting: A really good way to lose me as a fan of your Wikipedia plot summary really quickly is to have to preface the plot of the movie with a preexisting "truth" that's going to have me make the Jim Halpert face at my desk. I am again forced to miss out on some sweet decapitations in later paragraphs.

5. 'Paranormal Activity 3' (2011)

The running gimmick that is the "Paranormal Activity" franchise relies on people being in the actual theater mutually freaked out together (a la "The Sixth Sense," to a degree), so it doesn't lend very well to light Wikipedia reading. Dust falls on a shadow after an earthquake! Imagine that! See, that's the thing: Another perk of reading Wikipedia plot summaries is the fact that I can freely talk a bunch of s**t about plot twists because I'm reading about them after the fact instead of experiencing them in the moment. It's truly delightful. And if you're wondering why I put "Paranormal Activity" in the "Scariest" article and "Paranormal Activity 3" here, it's because I THOUGHT THIS WAS 'MERICA

.4. 'One Missed Call' (2008)

The appearance of "One Missed Call" on this list marks the beginning of the truly ridiculous among Wikipedia plot summaries. You get the feeling that the good-natured writer was shaking his or her head and sighing the whole time while detailing this movie's plot. "Beth Raymond is terrified by the deaths of four people, Shelley, Leann, Brian, and Taylor, after they received chilling phone calls apparently of themselves in the future, showing the exact time of their deaths." Who are Shelley, Leann, Brian and Taylor, besides the names of the characters of the next popular Disney Channel show? Why does Beth Raymond care? We'll never know. And friends, it only gets more brutal. Bonus points for the not-at-all scary poster, which looks like a painted-over Jeff Goldblum or Martin Landau mask.

3. 'Feardotcom' (2002)

Needless to say, "Feardotcom" is forced to climb a steep, slippery hill of my own smugness before I even type its name into the Wikipedia search bar. Why is it one word? Am I allowed to pronounce it Fee-are-dot-com? Or Feard-ut-come? If not, why? It's one word! Sadly, it doesn't get much better once we actually arrive at its page. The first two paragraphs are fine — they aren't "good" per se, but they at least qualify as standard horror movie drivel — but then we get to the third paragraph, which is the following:

2. 'Leprechaun: In the Hood' (2000)

You could probably put any of the "Leprechaun" movies in this space and be able to sleep comfortably at night, but at least the prior entries in the ever-venerable franchise had Warwick Davis magically exploding people with extreme (and whimsical!) gore; "Leprechaun: In the Hood" has Davis unironically rapping directly to the camera for its final scene. No, really — it's even its own paragraph in the movie's Wikipedia entry:

Kind of devastating. Oh, right, and also that pesky "massively stereotyping two large groups of people in one movie title" thing, which, A+!

I would spend at least $15 on this poster, though:

1. 'The Blair Witch Project' (1999)

The Wikipedia plot summary for "The Blair Witch Project" reads like a transcript of one of your buddies who is historically terrible at telling stories — particularly really long, detailed ones — telling a really long, detailed, terrible ghost story. It's long and boring enough to be assigned as a summer reading assignment by a particularly spiteful high school English teacher. Basically, I had the same reaction reading it as Brian and the blind guy did watching it, except in this case, I'm "the audience."

Indeed, by contrast with the previous nine, there is no glaring Wikipedia error, per se — there's just nothing going on. Sorry, "The Blair Witch Project." ("That's okay, we made hundreds of millions of dollars on a 20K budget, so feel free to mock our Wikipedia page if it makes you feel better.") Okay, I will. Read this before trying to sleep (boom, roasted):
Illustrated with screen shots of the offending Wikipedia articles.
former Living Person

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:37 am

Vigilant wrote:I was going to go to the last SF wiki picnic, but an awesome opportunity to wash my cat opened up at the last minute.
I'm "of the body" and thus by definition without a sense of humor, but OK, I admit it: I LOL-d.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:54 am

How much would Wikipedia weigh if it were in book form?
NewsFix, 6 August 2013 link
I’ve been trying to count how many written words there are on Wikipedia, but it’s taking a really long time, and every time someone edits an entry I have to restart. So let’s just ballpark it at 2.4 billion.

Why am I doing this? I was just wondering how much Wikipedia would weigh if you printed it out like an Encyclopedia Britannica.

It turns out that, if you were to print these words in the format of an Encyclopedia Britannica it would fill up about 1,800 volumes. That’s a lot more than the Britannica’s 30 volumes.

Anyway, if you added up the weight of all those volumes, Wikipedia would weigh 7,000 pounds. So you’d have to kill about 100 trees for a single edition. And I imagine the shipping and handling charges would set you back a pretty penny. You’d better get a bigger bookshelf, too.
How horrible.

The story includes a video of SciGuy explaining his discovery.
former Living Person

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:25 am

Mancunium wrote:How much would Wikipedia weigh if it were in book form?
NewsFix, 6 August 2013 link
I’ve been trying to count how many written words there are on Wikipedia, but it’s taking a really long time, and every time someone edits an entry I have to restart. So let’s just ballpark it at 2.4 billion.

Why am I doing this? I was just wondering how much Wikipedia would weigh if you printed it out like an Encyclopedia Britannica.

It turns out that, if you were to print these words in the format of an Encyclopedia Britannica it would fill up about 1,800 volumes. That’s a lot more than the Britannica’s 30 volumes.

Anyway, if you added up the weight of all those volumes, Wikipedia would weigh 7,000 pounds. So you’d have to kill about 100 trees for a single edition. And I imagine the shipping and handling charges would set you back a pretty penny. You’d better get a bigger bookshelf, too.
How horrible.

The story includes a video of SciGuy explaining his discovery.
The silver lining here is that the actual useful content from wikipedia will fit on a medium size USB stick.
Pokemon and anime, not included.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:05 am

former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:18 pm

O holy thy good
O holy thy good
Work for the thee
O Work for the thee

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Zoloft wrote:
O holy thy good
O holy thy good
Work for the thee
O Work for the thee
Just the head banging part.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Alex, you've discovered a mine of sheer :wtf2: that I was totally unaware of. Well done.

:yikes: : Wikipedia:Songs about Wikipedia/I Want To Be On Wikipedia (T-H-L)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph ... Anthem.ogg
I'm goin' to live in this new media
Knowing everyone can touch me
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Hex wrote:Alex, you've discovered a mine of sheer :wtf2: that I was totally unaware of. Well done.

:yikes: : Wikipedia:Songs about Wikipedia/I Want To Be On Wikipedia (T-H-L)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph ... Anthem.ogg
I'm goin' to live in this new media
Knowing everyone can touch me
In amongst this direness, there is a plug for MyWikiBiz...
Time for a new signature.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 pm

The Church of the Indelible Barnstar

Description: Oliver Keyes's Indelible Barnstar
Date: 21 April 2012, 14:44:26
Source: Brandon Harris link

facebook.com/jormosaurusrex
Tattoos
Date: 7 May 2012 link

Oh yeah. I'm getting my Indelible Barnstar all Steve Austinized and such.
Blood is seeping through the white ink, so the bones are looking pink.
gaijin.com
Ink
Date: 11 May 2013 link

Wikipedians express gratitude and congratulations by awarding each other virtual “Barnstars.” The idea is that “it takes many people to build the barn” and you have done your part. There are many, many types of Barnstars.

As a reward for his hard work, several of us pooled money together to buy my friend Oliver a tattoo. Heather designed the “Indelible Barnstar”: a Barnstar with crossbones. Several of us took him to the needle shop to get it; it was a thing. Even our Executive Director, Sue Gardner, showed up to watch.

Now, we’d been talking and joking during the days leading up to the event. Who else could be convinced to get a Barnstar tattoo? There was a lot of “if Sue gets one, I’ll get one.”

Well. I didn’t need a lot of convincing. My life is about Free Culture. To express that is a no-brainer. So I got one (and so did my friend Steven). They got theirs in black; mine in grey. Later I had color added to it.
On the outside of my left forearm is tattooed the word “courage“. I got it with my friend Steven. He wanted a Barnstar on his left shoulder (to match the one on his right) and I said I would go with him to the needle shop because I wanted a new tattoo as well.
Category:Wikipedia tattoos
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Wikipedia Kool-Aid
Media in category "Wikipedia tattoos" link

Description English: Oliver Keyes Barnstar Tattoo
Date: 24 April 2012
Source: Own work
Author: Victorgrigas; original tattoo design by w:User:Heatherawalls

Description English: Wikipedia logotype tattoo in my right arm.
Español: Tatuaje del logotipo de Wikipedia en mi brazo derecho.
Date: 28 January 2011
Author: ProtoplasmaKid

Description English: WIKIPEDIA-Tattoo on right forearm.
Deutsch: WIKIPEDIA-Tattoo auf dem rechten Unterarm.
Date: 14 July 2010
Author: Juliana

Flickr
Gideon Burton
Taken: 1 January 2009 link
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 am

Stoopid Is As Stoopid Does
Steve Temkin's tumblog
Date: 26 March 2013 link

My boy finally got a tattoo. Of course, the guy with the real tat got $70,066.27
thanks to Max and his CAH buddies, so I hope he at least sprang for the Sharpie.

maxistentialist:
Visiting Wikimedia to hang out Brandon Harris
and some of the amazing hackers who make Wikipedia work.
File:Tattoo barnstar.png
Date: 2 April 2005 link

A tattoo of a barnstar (fake, obviously). Meant as a possible "Life" barnstar.
former Living Person

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:31 am

I look forward to their delicious tears of regret not so many years from now.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Igor Purlantov and his press release are moving steadily up the Google News results for "Wikipedia", because it has been spammed to at least five different "news" sites. Behold now the press release of Igor Purlantov. link
Igor Purlantov Says Wikipedia Helps People Understand Animals
Wikipedia is Good for Animal Rights Says Igor Purlantov

Ever since the arrival of Wikipedia, researching animals has never been the same according to animal rights advocate Igor Purlantov. Wikipedia has become an excellent online encyclopedia source of information that allows people to research whatever and whenever they want and learn more about animals and animal welfare related topics. Wikipedia is an effective source of information since it is put together by reliable sources and people from around the world. All of the information on Wikipedia about animals and animal welfare has been researched and validated so that it can gives people comfort in trusting the information they are reading says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia is one of the most frequently visited websites when people want to learn more about animals and animal welfare says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has information on just about every animal says Igor Purlantov...Wikipedia has painstakingly gathered and cataloged information on just about each and every animal found on earth says Igor Purlantov...

Throughout the years Wikipedia has compiled a huge amount of images of various animals says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has been able to gather an extensive amount of animal images says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia offers very detailed and useful information on a variety of animals says Igor Purlantov... The information on Wikipedia about animals also tends to come from researchers and is edited by trusted experts says Igor Purlantov... This makes it easy for people to research animals without having any scientific background says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has been able to elevate learning about animals to another level by making the information easy to access, useful to learn and easy to understand says Igor Purlantov... It is only a matter of time before Wikipedia becomes one of the top sources of information to help better understand animals and further animal rights says Igor Purlantov.
Last edited by Mancunium on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Mancunium wrote:Igor Purlantov and his press release are moving steadily up the Google News results for "Wikipedia", because it has been spammed to at least five different "news" sites. Behold now the press release of Igor Purlantov. link
Wikipedia is Good for Animal Rights Says Igor Purlanto

Ever since the arrival of Wikipedia, researching animals has never been the same according to animal rights advocate Igor Purlantov. Wikipedia has become an excellent online encyclopedia source of information that allows people to research whatever and whenever they want and learn more about animals and animal welfare related topics. Wikipedia is an effective source of information since it is put together by reliable sources and people from around the world. All of the information on Wikipedia about animals and animal welfare has been researched and validated so that it can gives people comfort in trusting the information they are reading says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia is one of the most frequently visited websites when people want to learn more about animals and animal welfare says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has information on just about every animal says Igor Purlantov...Wikipedia has painstakingly gathered and cataloged information on just about each and every animal found on earth says Igor Purlantov...Throughout the years Wikipedia has compiled a huge amount of images of various animals says Igor Purlantov...

Throughout the years Wikipedia has compiled a huge amount of images of various b/bbbanimals says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has been able to gather an extensive amount of animal images says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia offers very detailed and useful information on a variety of animals says Igor Purlantov... The information on Wikipedia about animals also tends to come from researchers and is edited by trusted experts says Igor Purlantov... This makes it easy for people to research animals without having any scientific background says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has been able to elevate learning about animals to another level by making the information easy to access, useful to learn and easy to understand says Igor Purlantov... It is only a matter of time before Wikipedia becomes one of the top sources of information to help better understand animals and further animal rights says Igor Purlantov.
Perhaps he is a badger-thrower?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Zoloft wrote:Perhaps he is a badger-thrower?
There is no Wikipedia article on the subject of badger-throwing says Igor Purlantov... There is also no Wikipedia article about animal-throwing in general says Igor Purlantov... Indeed the only such articles at the moment are Fox tossing (T-H-L) and Cock throwing (T-H-L) says Igor Purlantov...

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:28 pm

An actual photo of Igor Purlantov, from one of Igor Purlantov's many many websites:

former Living Person

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Mancunium wrote:Igor Purlantov and his press release are moving steadily up the Google News results for "Wikipedia", because it has been spammed to at least five different "news" sites. Behold now the press release of Igor Purlantov. link

Ever since the arrival of Wikipedia, researching animals has never been the same according to animal rights advocate Igor Purlantov. Wikipedia has become an excellent online encyclopedia source of information that allows people to research whatever and whenever they want and learn more about animals and animal welfare related topics. Wikipedia is an effective source of information since it is put together by reliable sources and people from around the world. All of the information on Wikipedia about animals and animal welfare has been researched and validated so that it can gives people comfort in trusting the information they are reading says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia is one of the most frequently visited websites when people want to learn more about animals and animal welfare says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has information on just about every animal says Igor Purlantov...Wikipedia has painstakingly gathered and cataloged information on just about each and every animal found on earth says Igor Purlantov...

Throughout the years Wikipedia has compiled a huge amount of images of various animals says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has been able to gather an extensive amount of animal images says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia offers very detailed and useful information on a variety of animals says Igor Purlantov... The information on Wikipedia about animals also tends to come from researchers and is edited by trusted experts says Igor Purlantov... This makes it easy for people to research animals without having any scientific background says Igor Purlantov... Wikipedia has been able to elevate learning about animals to another level by making the information easy to access, useful to learn and easy to understand says Igor Purlantov... It is only a matter of time before Wikipedia becomes one of the top sources of information to help better understand animals and further animal rights says Igor Purlantov.
I wonder what is Igor Purlantov's username on WP, anyways he or his publicist needs to take first grade English grammar. :thumbsdown:

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Igor Purlantov's publicist, also named, coincidentally, Igor Purlantov (no relation to animal rights activist Igor Purlantov):

former Living Person

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Jaranda wrote:I wonder what is Igor Purlantov's username on WP, anyways he or his publicist needs to take first grade English grammar. :thumbsdown:
As Mr. Barbour suggests, this is pure spam. Mr. Purlantov suffered the ignominy of having one of the two instances of his name removed from the List of Bulgarians recently, which must have upset him to no end. So, he's trying to increase his Google footprint in the hopes that this will make him "notable" in the absence of "reliable source" news coverage. I'm afraid now that he's come to our attention, the other instance of his name will probably be removed as well.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:39 am

Mancunium wrote:An actual photo of Igor Purlantov, from one of Igor Purlantov's many many websites
Looks remarkably like our own Mancunium.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 am

Google is not Igor Purlanov's friend.

Lawyer jailed for stealing $1.2m from bank account of DEAD family friend over 17 months
Igor Purlantov, 35, regularly forged signature of friend
Mohamad Ibraham Darwish Haj Ali died in October 2004
Agreed to pay back $1.2m to friends and $0.3m in tax
The Daily Mail, 15 December 2011 link
A lawyer has been jailed for two years after transferring more than $1million from a dead family friend's bank account to his own.

Igor Purlantov, 35, of New York, regularly forged the signature of Mohamad Ibraham Darwish Haj Ali, who died in October 2004, a court heard.

He accessed his friend’s HSBC Swiss bank account which held $3,395,000 and has now agreed to pay back $1,176,000 to Ali’s friends and relatives.

He will also pay back taxes to the IRS of $293,000 - after pleading guilty to tax evasion because he failed to pay any tax on the money.

Purlantov forged Ali’s name on a letter telling the Swiss bank to add Purlantov as a joint account holder, reported El Cerrito Patch.

Purlantov spent the next 17 months moving $1.17million to his own bank accounts in London and New York, the court heard.

Ali lived in El Cerrito in California and Purlantov was sentenced in nearby Oakland after pleading guilty to wire fraud and tax evasion.Prosecutors say the scheme took place from October 2004 to February 2005 and Purlantov will begin his sentence in late January.

He forged documents before and after Ali’s death and was sentenced by District Court Judge Saundra Armstrong, reported the Contra Costa Times.

The conviction comes after Purlantov was charged in June 2011 following a joint two-year investigation by the IRS and FBI.

‘Purlantov accepted full responsibility and agreed to fully reimburse the beneficiaries of his deceased friend,’ the U.S. Department of Justice said
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop Was Arrested Again
The Wisconsin man was arrested for the second time since 2012.
Buzzfeed, 18 August 2013 link
Felony drug charges have been filed against 32-year-old Beezow Doo-doo Zopittybop-bop-bop.

Zopittybop-bop-bop, of a Madison, Wisc., was born Jeffrey Drew Wilschke and legally changed his name in October 2011. He arrested July 20 in Iowa’s Washington County, according to the Associated Press. He remained in the county jail Saturday.

Zopittybop-bop-bop was arrested previously in Madison, Wisc., in 2012 on drug charges and received attention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beezow_Doo ... bop-bopfor his “bizarre name.” He was booked into jail as Jeffrey D. Wilschke, because it is the name still on his driver’s license.

Zopittybop-bop-bop also has his own Wikipedia page.
Beezow Doo-doo Zopittybop-bop-bop (T-H-L)

And why does this person have a Wikipedia article?
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 am

Tom Cruise and John Travolta Gay?
Facts About the Scientology Members’ Homosexual Rumors

Classicalite, 16 August 2013 link
By now, everyone has heard the rumors that Tom Cruise and John Travolta are gay. But is this true? We have the facts about claims which suggest the high-profile Scientology members are homosexual.

Tom Cruise and John Travolta are totally not gay! And you can tell that because they were both willing to spend tons of money on making sure that you know exactly how not gay they are.

For example, Wikipedia has an entire subsection under the entry of “Tom Cruise,” entitled “Litigation.”

BTW, You have to be pretty litigious to get an entire section of your Wikipedia page dedicated to lawsuits you personally generated--Which is why we want to stress how totally NOT gay Tom Cruise is. Would someone who was gay spend a fortune on lawsuits preventing other people from claiming that he was a homosexual? Absolutely NOT!

And just so you’re really clear on this, be sure to check out the first paragraph in Tom Cruise’s “Litigation” section:

“During Cruise's marriage to Nicole Kidman, the couple endured public speculation about their sex life and rumors that Cruise was gay. In 1998, he successfully sued the Daily Express, a British tabloid which alleged that his marriage to Kidman was a sham designed to cover up his homosexuality. In May 2001 he filed a lawsuit against gay porn actor Chad Slater. Slater had allegedly told the celebrity magazine Actustar that he had had an affair with Cruise. Cruise denied this, and in August 2001, Slater was ordered to pay $10 million to Cruise in damages after Slater declared he could not afford to defend himself against the suit and would therefore default. Cruise also sued Bold Magazine publisher Michael Davis, who alleged but never confirmed that he had video that would prove Cruise was gay. The suit was dropped in exchange for a public statement by Davis that the video was not of Cruise, and that Cruise was heterosexual.”

In case you wondering about John Travolta...drumroll please...he, too, is totally NOT gay. In fact, his insurance spent $84,000 settling two claims that reported Travolta sexually harassed or assaulted two unnamed gentlemen, via GAWKER, that claims:

“Gawker has obtained an internal report of insurance claims made against Travolta's production company, Constellation Productions Inc., showing four other parties privately issued attorney demand letters "alleging sexual assault" within the last year, including the actor's longtime stunt double, his former driver, and a physical therapist. What's more is that Travolta's insurer paid out $84,500 against two of these six claims.”

You can see a picture of the insurance claim here.

Just to recap, these two guys who LOVE to sue people, that are Scientologists, who love to sue people EVEN MORE, are totally 100% straight. Can’t be more clear than that!
former Living Person

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 am

Mancunium wrote:Beezow Doo-doo Zopittybop-bop-bop (T-H-L)

And why does this person have a Wikipedia article?
What, you don't think it's appropriate for everyone who gets arrested for marijuana possession to have their own Wikipedia article? I always just assumed that was the whole point of Wikipedia, to have an article on everyone who gets arrested for marijuana possession. Why else would Wikipedia exist, if not to have an article on everyone who gets arrested for marijuana possession? Come on.

:sarcasm:

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:47 pm

How to Explain Spontaneous Human Combustion
While there’s no proof that any human being has ever suddenly burst into flames and died, there’s also no proof that it hasn’t happened.,
Pacific Standard, 16 August 2013 link
At some point in the 15 hours or so prior to the evening of March 26, 1986, a 58-year-old former firefighter named George Mott apparently burst into flames and died. When he was found that night, what remained of him were mostly the ashes on the floor beneath his mattress, which his body had apparently burned through. There was more, but reports vary a little as to what; Wikipedia says they found “an implausibly shrunken skull” (as opposed to the plausible level of shrunkenness, I guess) and a piece of rib cage. Others say it was a shrunken skull and the lower half of his right leg. Either way, the scene found in Mott’s Crown Point, New York, apartment was pretty grim.

[...]

There are certainly cases, from time to time, of people dying by fire in weird and isolated circumstances. The bad news is that we’re generally more flammable than our ancestors liked to believe, and that under the right (or very wrong) circumstances, our bodies can act, as Wikipedia so alarmingly puts it, like “inside out candles.” But the good news is that—according to genuine scientists—it’s never actually “spontaneous.” There had to (probably!) be something external to George Mott’s body that started the fire. We just don’t get to know what that was. Either you can live with not knowing, or—like Benford and Arnold—you can’t.
George I. Mott (T-H-L)

Spontaneous human combustion (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Updating a Printed Wikipedia
If you had a printed version of the whole of (say, the English) Wikipedia, how many printers would you need in order to keep up with the changes made to the live version?
What-if.xkcd, 20 August 2013 link
This many:

That's surprisingly few printers! But before you try to create a live-updating paper Wikipedia, let's look at what those printers would be doing ... and how much they'd cost.

Printing Wikipedia

People have considered printing out Wikipedia before. A few years ago, student Rob Matthews printed every Wikipedia featured article, creating a book several feet thick. Of course, that's just a small slice of the best of Wikipedia; the entire encyclopedia would be a lot bigger. Wikipedia user Tompw has set up a page for calculating the size of the whole English Wikipedia in printed volumes. It would currently fill a lot of bookshelves. Keeping up with the edits would be harder.

Keeping up

The English Wikipedia currently receives about 125,000 to 150,000 edits each day, or 90-100 per minute.[1] We could try to define a way to measure the "word count" of the average edit, but that's hard bordering on impossible. Fortunately, we don't need to—we can just estimate that each change is going to require us to reprint a page somewhere. Many edits will actually change multiple pages—but many other edits are reverts, which would let us put back pages we've already printed.[2] One page per edit seems like a reasonable middle ground. For a mix of photos, tables, and text typical of Wikipedia, a good inkjet printer might put out 15 pages per minute. That means you'd only need about six printers running at any given time to keep pace with the edits. The paper would stack up quickly. Using Rob Matthews' book as a starting point, I did my own back-of-the-envelope estimate for the size of the current English Wikipedia. Based on the average length of featured articles vs. all articles, I came up with an estimate of 300 cubic meters for a printout of the whole thing.[3] By comparison, if you were trying to keep up with the edits, you'd print out 300 cubic meters every month.

$500,000 per month

Six printers isn't that many, but they'd be running all the time. And that gets expensive. The electricity to run them would be cheap—a few dollars a day. The paper would be about one cent per sheet, which means you'll be spending about a thousand dollars a day. You'd want to hire people to manage the printers 24/7, but that would actually cost less than the paper. Even the printers themselves wouldn't be too expensive, despite the terrifying replacement cycle. But the ink cartridges would be a nightmare.

Ink

A study by QualityLogic[4] found that for a typical inkjet printer, the real-life cost of ink ran from 5 cents per page for black-and-white to around 30 cents per page for photos. That means you'd be spending four to five figures per day on ink cartridges. You definitely want to invest in a laser printer. Otherwise, in just a month or two, this project could end up costing you half a million dollars:

But that's not even the worst part. If, someday, Wikipedia decides to go dark again, and you want to join the protest ...

You'll have to get a crate of markers and color every page solid black yourself. I would definitely stick to digital.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 pm

What Wikipedia Would Look Like As An Actual Encyclopedia Set
It’s not as big as you’d think
Buzzfeed, 20 August 2013 link

WIkipedia is big. Anyone who has a casual familiarity with the network knows the site is a sprawling, hyper-updated maze of user submitted information. But just how big is the English version? One contributor used the site’s publicly available metrics to estimate what the site would look like if the English language Wikipedia’s volumes were printed out and bound like the Encyclopædia Britannica of yore. The result — based off of user Tompw’s assumptions — is smaller than you’d think — only 1,908 volumes, or about 9.5 library stacks.

Here’s the math, according to Tompw:

* This shows 2,537 million words across 4.3 million articles (for August 2013), implying an average of 590 words per article.

* Same source shows 19.83 GB (=20,498,960 B) across 2,537 million words, implying 8.08B/word. ASCII uses 1B/character which in turn implies 8.36 characters/word. However, this includes wikimarkup, and 5 char/word plus one for space is standard, so 6 characters/word will be assumed.

* There are currently 4,309,877 articles, which means 2,542,827,430 words, which means 15,256,964,580 characters.

* One volume: 25cm high, 5cm thick. 500 leaves, 2 pagefaces per leaf, two columns per pageface, 80 rows/column, 50 characters per row. So one volume = 8,000,000 characters, or 1,333,337 words, or 2,259.9 articles.

* Thus, the text of the English Wikipedia is currently equivalent to 1,907.1 volumes of the Encyclopædia Britannica.

* Sanity check: Encyclopædia Britannica has 44 million words across 32 volumes, or 1,375,000 words per volume. This would imply 1,849 volumes for WP.

While probably not exact — Tompw appears to be working off of rough estimates and the site is constantly evolving — the site’s surprising size demonstrates just how efficient Wikipedia is at getting you the information you need. For years now, most search queries return serviceable, if not comprehensive articles on even obscure topics, which is all the more surprising given the size. It’s also a reminder of the network’s blind spots. In printed and bound form, Wikipedia’s information network is far smaller than your average high school library, meaning that — while it’s still a staggeringly impressive and continuously updated collection — it’s still missing a great deal of the world’s information.

And for reference, here’s a similar visualization of Wikipedia in 2006 (about half the size it is now).

There are approximately 13,950,000 catalogued books in the British Library, and approximately 150,000,000 items in total. There are 22,765,967 catalogued books in the Library of Congress, and 151,785,778 items in total.
former Living Person

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 pm

In printed and bound form, Wikipedia’s information network is far smaller than your average high school library, meaning that — while it’s still a staggeringly impressive and continuously updated collection — it’s still missing a great deal of the world’s information.
Probably your average high school library is mostly juvenile fiction so it can't be compared with Wikipedia ... wait, is that right?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:57 pm

What kind of person quotes Wikipedia?
Here's an amusing article:

Confused Old Man Theorizes That Twerking Causes Rape
Jezebel, 3 September 2013 link
Richard Cohen's most recent column (which I think is about teen vaginas RUN AMOK) would be much more offensive if it weren't borderline incoherent, but I'll do my best to explain what he wrote so you don't have to read it yourself. Cohen opens by quoting from the Wikipedia entry on twerking, since Richard Cohen just learned himself what twerking is from Wikipedia.
I discovered from Wikipedia that twerking “involves a person, usually a woman, shaking her hips in an up-and-down bouncing motion, causing the dancer to shake, ‘wobble’ and ‘jiggle.’ ”
former Living Person