Kafkaesque

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Kafkaesque

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Wikipedia integrated into the navigation.
Dear lord.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Mancunium wrote:
Volvo engineers analyzing the effect of a Wikipedia main page science article
Did You Know ...

.... that most of the DYKs on Wikipedia's main page contain made up science?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Mancunium wrote:Volvo cars get cloud-connected and Wikipedia-enabled
CES 2014 Sensus Connect mutimedia system packs streaming music, online parking and even Wikipedia
Makes me so much happier we got rid of our XC90 for a Buick Enclave last Spring.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Volvo lways insist how safe their cars are. Actually, in Britain the safest car is a Bentley, bu tI've never heard a Bentley owner giving that as the reason he (always he) bought it.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Poetlister wrote:...a Bentley owner giving that as the reason he (always he) bought it.
You vile sexist!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:15 pm

thekohser wrote:
Poetlister wrote:...a Bentley owner giving that as the reason he (always he) bought it.
You vile sexist!
It's also an interesting statistically dubious statement, in that a Bentley may have the best crash impact performance, but as a high performance car, I suspect that:

a) it is statistically more likely to be involved in accidents
b) those accidents will be at higher speed, potentially negating the benefits of the improved crash resistance.

but

c) it is so expensive that it barely leaves the garage.*

So is it really safest car based on accident and injury statistics?

*I was in the local Rolls Royce dealership before Christmas (nothing better to do) and they had a Bentley there which was on its 6th owner and had done less than 10,000 miles. Another Aston Martin was one year old and had done 200 miles. Some London financial bods had bought two, garaged them while they were out in Singapore for a year, and then on return decided that they didn't want to be seen in a 1 year old car so bought new ones without ever having driven them. Another Aston with 7 owners was clearly hated by everyone - tried it, didn't like it, bought another.
Time for a new signature.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:It's also an interesting statistically dubious statement, in that a Bentley may have the best crash impact performance, but as a high performance car, I suspect that:

b) those accidents will be at higher speed, potentially negating the benefits of the improved crash resistance.

but

Fewest occupants injured per kilometre travelled. Actually, part of the explanation is that the age profile of drivers is very different from many cars, being heavily weighted towards 45-64s, the least accident-prone age group.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:
dogbiscuit wrote:It's also an interesting statistically dubious statement, in that a Bentley may have the best crash impact performance, but as a high performance car, I suspect that:

but

Fewest occupants injured per kilometre travelled. Actually, part of the explanation is that the age profile of drivers is very different from many cars, being heavily weighted towards 45-64s, the least accident-prone age group.
Also, you ever repair a Bentley, replace body parts? In spite of speeds, the incentive not to have that thing in the shop waiting 6 months, six weeks in the UK, for replacement parts is rather high. Everyone I know who isn't a Bentley mechanic and drives a Bentley spends most of that drive time behind the wheels of a rental car.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:45 am

VIDEO: Volvo Cars’ Sensus Connect cloud solution offers total connectivity
TeleMangement, 8 January 2014 link
Last edited by Mancunium on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 am

¿Quiénes son los personajes más escalofriantes de la Wikipedia?
Algunas de las historias más extrañas y retorcidas que contiene la 'enciclopedia libre'
Ideal Digital, 9 January 2014 link

Google-translated from Spanish link
Encyclopedia Wikipedia is the most famous-and Internet-accessed. Although it has many detractors who invite not trust your information, the truth is that has won a special place in the online consultation. From school work to media reports, Wikipedia can with everything. But besides documentaries consultation, 'Babylon' also gaining adherents as a method of reading 'leisure'. It is easy to find on the network shared lists of related articles many topics: sport, literature, fantasy, history ...

Here we propose a: some of the creepiest characters in the Wikipedia. Shall we begin? (Note: some pictures within articles can hurt your sensibility) [...]
Los personajes más espeluznantes de la Wikipedia.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Stalin married a Jewish woman
The Sentinel, 13 January 2014 link
Quoting from Wikipedia, I do not know whether Stalin was an anti-Semite.What I do believe is that Jews were always heavily involved in the Communist party in Russia.

Wikipedia also says Stalin is said to have married a Jewish lady. Strange for an anti-Semite.

Now to Oliver Cromwell, again from Wikipedia. Cromwell's war against Charles I was financed by two Jews, Fernandez Carvajel and Manasseh Ben Israel, who, I believe, lived in the Netherlands.

In 1655 they were rewarded as Jews were again allowed to live in England after being expelled hundreds of years before.

The effects of the judicial murder of England's King meant England would be forever under the control of international finance.

PHILIP SANDLAND
I'm guessing Mr Expert-Opinion is this Philip Sandman: link
former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Mancunium wrote:Stalin married a Jewish woman
Quoting from Wikipedia, I do not know whether Stalin was an anti-Semite.What I do believe is that Jews were always heavily involved in the Communist party in Russia.

Wikipedia also says Stalin is said to have married a Jewish lady. Strange for an anti-Semite.

Now to Oliver Cromwell, again from Wikipedia. Cromwell's war against Charles I was financed by two Jews, Fernandez Carvajel and Manasseh Ben Israel, who, I believe, lived in the Netherlands.

In 1655 they were rewarded as Jews were again allowed to live in England after being expelled hundreds of years before.

The effects of the judicial murder of England's King meant England would be forever under the control of international finance.

PHILIP SANDLAND
Sandland or Sandman?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Stalin married a Jewish woman

PHILIP SANDLAND
Sandland or Sandman?
Mr Ireadit-Inwikipedia is PHILIP SANDLAND. So is Mr BNP Againstthedarkforces-Whoareplottingtodestroyournation.
former Living Person

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 am

Presumably that fantasy was loosely inspired by this: Antonio Fernandez Carvajal (T-H-L).

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm

American Idol: Harry Connick Jr. and Guitar-Playing Singers Steal the Show
People, 16 January 2014 link
[...] "I read your Wikipedia page every night before going to sleep," Pakistan-born Munfarid Zaidi, 19, told Connick. "He's the one," zinged Urban, prompting Connick to run up and hug a starstruck Zaidi and exclaim, "You know who I am!"

"If you blow us away with the first song, I'd like to pick you up like a baby and hold you," Connick told the singer, who held up his end up the bargain by singing a hip, jazzy version of Adele's "Crazy for You". "I see a cradle coming on," Lopez said, as Zaidi held out his arms and Connick picked him up and cradled him like a newborn. [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

'Wikipedia for robots': Because bots need an Internet too
CNET, 15 January 2014 link

The robots get their own Wikipedia
IMAO, 16 January 2014 link
Did you hear about RoboEarth? It’s like Wikipedia for robots.

Think about that for a minute.

Wikipedia is used by a lot of people as information on which they base their thoughts, actions, and attitudes. It’s a real-life example of people thinking that because it’s on the Internet, it must be true. And, of course, that’s bunk. Because I can put stuff on Wikipedia. Me! I mean, have you ever read the stuff I write? And Wikipedia will let me put stuff out there for other people to use. And I have put stuff on Wikipedia. And you can, too. And, some of you have. Pity the poor souls that don’t know any better than to believe anything I write. Or that some of y’all write.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Mancunium wrote:Did you hear about RoboEarth? It’s like Wikipedia for robots.
This has to be a joke. Their "clients" are named HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:44 pm

I'm a dog man myself...

Gatos desbordan Wikipedia y pasan a ser “el mejor amigo del hombre” en Internet
La invasión virtual de imágenes de gatos, rebasa las fronteras de Internet, conquistando el mundo analógico, y obliga a la Wikipedia a abrir el mayor número de clasificaciones animales
LaRed21, 31 January 2014 link

Google-translation from Spanish link
Wikipedia Cats overflow and become "man's best friend" on the Internet
The virtual invasion of pictures of cats, Internet transcends borders, conquering the analog world, and forces the Wikipedia to open as many animals rankings.

Dogs will continue-maybe-real-life best friends of man for God knows how long. But on the Internet, cats are far more numerous-million-up times as many critical points due to a globalized twenty-first century that inevitably associates it appealing in domestic animal matter, with the image of cats from home. The analog world seems to follow the same path and festivals cats, 3D printing of the most famous and and the most inconceivable from the image of Grumpy Cat products proliferate uncontrollably. More than two million cats on YouTube set the standards of conviction every owner of a cat that yours may well be an as yet unknown star and fame can make him famous as more than one. Meanwhile, the crazy number of pictures of these cats in Wikipedia, pautan the advent of a virtual "gatocracia" that made it over the Wild Cat, or Garfield himself.

There are cats in 3,000 subcategories in Wikipedia

Wikimedia Commons administrators have had to establish criteria to organize countless shots that get up on the platform, coupled to the main categories: domestic cat. More than 3,000 secondary categories emerge from the primeval, within 77 cat breeds that unlike Wikipedia, so at least there are 40 subcategories by race. So, administrators now require classifying cats by color, and can be several-upload the photo to Pussycat besides hair length, age and even their support in the record. In terms of videos, but the possibilities are restricted as important, since the amount is significantly lower, a feature about if not common, at least dominant: the number of cats mating, appears to be a preference to display by owners.
former Living Person

Pen
Critic

Unread post by Pen » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Mancunium wrote:
Volvo says highlights for users will include tens of thousands of radio stations and the ability to not only set destinations through their mobile device and receive information about their surroundings through Wikipedia, but which also lets them find and pay for parking at their destination.
Fak, they'll regret that as an advertising idea. How small is it ? market feedback will kill this. Radio stations are cool, no problems as they are generic, but hitching your little magazine ad or whatever to a stinking ship / sinking shit (free tymes quickly) and you've got a 'we had some hideous feedback in the campaign' sort of reports coming back. but meh, might work, wait, let me read who it's being pitched to. can't find it/doesn't matter, they can't pitch this shit too widely without spashback.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Portmanor landlord Geoff Charles 'over the moon' after police bid to shut pub South Norwood down thrown out
Croydon Guardian, 28 March 2014 link
The landlord of a popular Crystal Palace fans' pub has said he is "over the moon" after winning a battle with the police over a bid to shut the venue down. The Portmanor in South Norwood had faced having its licence revoked after the police claimed it had "embraced" football hooligans. The dispute centred on the Holmesdale Fanatics, a boisterous section of fans who drink in the Portland Road pub before matches and that licensing officers alleged were "a particularly anti-social group of individuals who have repeatedly displayed little regard for the local community".

But Croydon Council's sub-licensing committee, in a meeting last week, rejected an application by police to effectively shut the pub down and dismissed suggestions the pub's customers were a cause for concern. Geoff Charles, the Portmanor's landlord, had argued many of the police's grievances - such as a flare being let off by on Palace supporters' coach in Liverpool - had nothing to do with his pub. And Piers Warne, solicitor for the pub's owner Punch Taverns, suggested much of the material included in the police application had been included "with no real evidence" to "beef up the case".

He pointed to a Wikipedia entry, quoted by the police, on fanatical football fans known as ultras, which referred to extreme political ideologies and racism. Mr Warne said: "This appears to be suggesting that the Holmesdale Fanatics somehow share these traits, albeit there is no evidence to support this allegation." He added there was no evidence that attacks on a young couple and a police car in Portland Road earlier in January, both cited in the police application, were carried out by Portmanor customers. [...]
Ultras (T-H-L)
Ultras are a type of sports fans renowned for their fanatical support and elaborate displays. They are predominantly European followers of football teams. The behavioral tendency of ultras groups includes the use of flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums, all of which are designed to create an atmosphere which encourages their own team and intimidates opposing players and supporters. [...] The term, also used of extremists in other fields, is derived from the Latin ultrā, meaning beyond, with the implication that their enthusiasm is 'beyond' the normal.[1]
This Varvari tifo, at a Montenegrin First League match, is certainly not the sort of behaviour one would wish to see in Croydon.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:38 pm

I've stuck previous episodes of "Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?" in this thread.

MEGADETH's DAVID ELLEFSON Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
BLABBERMOUTH.NET, 3 April 2014 link
MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson is featured in the latest episode of Loudwire's "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?" In this edition the segment, Ellefson sets the record straight on what's true and false on Wikipedia. This episode covers all the key points of Ellefson's career and times with MEGADETH. Ellefson clarifies many stories on MEGADETH's beginnings, his lawsuit against MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine, being kicked off an AEROSMITH tour, his return to MEGADETH and much more. [...] At first glance, Ellefson's history reads like a how-to manual of excess, from hardcore drugs to X-rated debauchery. But Ellefson goes much deeper, taking us on a gripping journey from his Lutheran upbringing as a Minnesota farm boy, through the culture shock he experienced when he arrived in Los Angeles and entered the music industry, to his drug-fueled MEGADETH days, and finally how he beat his addictions and embarked on a path of sobriety and faith, entering a new life of Christian devotion. Today, studying to become a Lutheran pastor, Ellefson presides over MEGA Life! Ministries, a foundation that reaches hundreds of churchgoers every week. Ellefson says: "My autobiography is not the usual tale of rock 'n' roll woe, but rather something I hope will truly inspire people. I have dedicated my life to my craft, and I wanted to share the story of how a kid with a bass guitar and the dream of rock stardom literally risked it all to move from the farm in Minnesota to Los Angeles, and with a lot of hard work, sacrifice and a little luck along the way, made the dream come true. I think the readers will enjoy the stories, as well as the hardships, of this way of life as a musician and artist. I've been very open about my life's obstacles and the means by which I overcame them. Now, my hope is that this story will inspire others to follow their dreams and really live out the purpose for their lives, too.” [...]
Interview with David Ellefson:
David_Ellefson (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 pm

George W. Bush reveals painting of Stephen Harper, which he seems to have copied from a Wikipedia photo
National Post, 4 April 2014 link
Jimmy Carter built houses. George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton raised $100-million for Hurricane Katrina relief. So, what has George W. Bush done with his time since leaving the White House? He painted. The 43rd president of the United States unveiled his private artwork on The Today Show Friday, prior to the opening of his exhibit “The Art of Leadership: A President’s Personal Diplomacy.” Bush’s painting are of a number of world leaders he dealt with during his time in office, including former U.K. prime minister Tony Blair and Russian President Vladimir Putin. The U.S. president also painted Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who he decided to paint with a slightly smug grin. Bush appears to have taken his inspiration from Harper’s Wikipedia page, which has a 2010 photo of the prime minister in Davos. Harper’s wearing a similar tie in both the photo and the painting. He’s also turned in the same direction and has a nearly identical grin. The photo has been attached to the prime minister’s Wikipedia profile since January 2010. Notably, it’s the first result when you do a Google image search for “Stephen Harper.” [...] The controversial former president did say that he wanted to get better at painting. “I’m a driven person. There’s a Rembrandt trapped in this body.” [...]

Stephen Harper, by George W. Bush

Tony Blair, by George W. Bush

Vladimir Putin, by George W. Bush

former Living Person

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Why should anyone assume that he took it off Wikipedia? It's not a Shankbone photo or anything unique to Wikipedia; it came off Flickr.

link

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:17 am

Poetlister wrote:Why should anyone assume that he took it off Wikipedia? It's not a Shankbone photo or anything unique to Wikipedia; it came off Flickr.

link
George W. Bush Sourced All His Paintings From Google
Animal New York, 8 April 2014 link
George W. Bush’s solo art show “The Art of Leadership: A President’s Personal Diplomacy” has just opened at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum in Dallas, Texas. [...] the exhibit features 30 oil-on-board paintings of world leaders. It appears as if they are all lazy reproductions of some of the first Google image search results. Below are the 43rd president’s paintings alongside the Google images that inspired them. Critic, artist and appropriation expert Greg Allen pointed this out: " …Bush painted his portraits, not just from photographs–a common enough practice as well as a long-established conceptual strategy, though I think only the former pertains here–but from the top search result on Google Images. Many photos were taken from the subject’s Wikipedia entry. Bush based his paintings on the literally first-to-surface, easiest-to-find photos of his subjects." However, some critics did not seem to get the memo, like Roberta Smith, who writes in The New York Times, “The images seem legible and familiar, as if, as some have suggested, they were the first to pop up on Google.” Not “as if.” Literally.
(Source: Wikipedia, captioned “Merkel with her hands in the characteristic Merkel-Raute position” / Armin Linnartz)

"Afghanistan’s Hamid Karzai is flipped, probably by Bush using a basic technique of transferring photo to a canvas. Because human faces aren’t really symmetrical, he looks a little bit off."
former Living Person

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:38 am

Poetlister wrote:Why should anyone assume that he took it off Wikipedia? It's not a Shankbone photo or anything unique to Wikipedia; it came off Flickr.

link
WEF as far as I know have always used an NC license too.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:52 am

Many photos were taken from the subject’s Wikipedia entry.
It certainly doesn't say they all did. And of course, even if they seem to come from the Wikipedia article, it doesn't follow that he actually looked at the site. For all we know, if it's an official photo (as some of them are) he's been given a signed copy by the subject.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Google News has so far aggregated 156 articles on Bush II's "art". The point being made in most of those articles is not just that he is a talentless painter, but that he is so stupid that he draws his "inspiration" from a vulgar lowbrow source like Wikipedia.

George Bush's paintings are 'copied off Google images and Wikipedia' art critic claims
The Independent, 9 April 2014 link
[...] Rather remarkably, even the portrait of his own father, someone who he surely could have asked to sit for him, appears to be based on an Associated Press portrait which appears on the first page of Google Image results. [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:18 pm

ANTHRAX's FRANK BELLO Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
Blabbermouth, 9 April 2014link
ANTHRAX bassist Frank Bello is featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?" segment. In the 12-minute clip below, Bello sets the record straight about his beginnings with ANTHRAX, the band's first European tour being interrupted by the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown, being pressured to change ANTHRAX's name, mourning the death of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and more.
Frank_Bello (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Mancunium wrote:Google News has so far aggregated 156 articles on Bush II's "art". The point being made in most of those articles is not just that he is a talentless painter, but that he is so stupid that he draws his "inspiration" from a vulgar lowbrow source like Wikipedia.

George Bush's paintings are 'copied off Google images and Wikipedia' art critic claims
The Independent, 9 April 2014 link
[...] Rather remarkably, even the portrait of his own father, someone who he surely could have asked to sit for him, appears to be based on an Associated Press portrait which appears on the first page of Google Image results. [...]
I thank Mancunium profusely for the set of this-is-this images shown above in this thread. I was aware of the question of where W gets his source material, and looked for it briefly, but no-one save Mancunium that I know of has shown it so well.

EDIT: The picture of Afghanistan Pres. Karzai looks horizontally reversed from the claimed source (hint: ears).
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:16 pm

ANTHRAX's SCOTT IAN Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
Blabbermouth, 16 April 2014
link
ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian is featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?" segment. In the nine-minute clip below, Ian sets the record straight on essential ANTHRAX history, METALLICA's James Hetfield calling "Only" a "perfect song," touring with his father-in-law (Meat Loaf) and much more. [...]
Scott_Ian (T-H-L)
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm

"Get your shit together, Wikipedia."

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:30 am

thekohser wrote:"Get your shit together, Wikipedia."
But then it wouldn't be Wikipedia.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Mancunium wrote:Brooklyn Man Haunted By Exploding Toilet
Gothamist, 10 October 2013 link
A Brooklyn man has a new prayer for the porcelain gods: Please don't let my toilet explode in my face...again.

October 2nd started out as any other day for Flatbush resident Michel Pierre. He used the bathroom, presumably not while reading this lengthy Wikipedia entry on "Toilet related injuries and deaths," (Categories: Accidents, Injuries Caused By Animals, Historical Deaths) and, as people and particularly sophisticated pets do, went on to flush. That's when everything changed...forever.
Toilet-related_injuries_and_deaths (T-H-L)
There are many toilet-related injuries and some toilet-related deaths throughout history and in urban legends.
Contents

1 Accidents
2 Injuries caused by animals
3 Drop in blood pressure and dangerous Valsalva maneuvers
4 Historical deaths
4.1 Possible occurrences
5 Urban legends
6 Popular culture
6.1 Linked to external factors
7 See also
8 References
9 External links
It seems that every so often Toilet-related_injuries_and_deaths (T-H-L) is fated to a well-deserved surge in views: link

Use the facilities at your own risk: Wikipedia’s list of toilet-related deaths
A.V Club, 21 April 2014 link
[...] The arrival of springtime is celebrated in cultures across the world, as Christian Easter, Hindu Janmashtami, Buddhist Theravada, Sikh Vaisakhi are each built around themes of new beginnings and rebirth. All of them draw on the most ancient and sacred tradition of all—a reverence of the very cycles of life and death that are at the heart of all existence. So, as spring dawns and nature again renews itself, we decided to ignore all that stuff and talk about people who died on the can. [...] As is often the case with Wikipedia, the scope of the article is a point of contention, with a discussion on the talk page that devolves into some name-calling, on whether someone who died while sitting on the toilet can be considered a “toilet-related death” if the toilet itself didn’t cause the injury. There’s also a heated discussion on whether Elvis Presley did in fact die on the toilet, as frequently reported, or elsewhere in the bathroom. [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Pappy's 'I Wikipedia-ed Windows' Is The Best, And Most Terrifying, Song Ever Written About Windows
Huffington Post UK, 23 April 2014 link
Yes, sketch trio Pappy's have released a new music video-slash-"vital learning tool for anyone interested in windows". And be warned: it's very silly, very funny and very sweary. And it comes as the chaps prepare for the first 2014 recording of Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown - their acclaimed comedy podcast - which takes place on 28 April at Soho Theatre in London. So come on down to the show, Londoners! If you can drag yourself from Wikipedia, that is...
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:57 pm

HIM's VILLE VALO, MIKKO 'MIGÉ' PAANANEN Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction
Blabbermouth, 29 April 2014 link
Vocalist Ville Valo and bassist Mikko "Migé" Paananen of Finnish "love" metallers HIM are featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?" segment. In the 13-minute clip below, the musicians go deep into their past, starting all the way back before HIM even existed. They also go into the the concept behind "Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666", how the famous Heartagram was created and much more. [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat May 03, 2014 3:21 pm

CINDERELLA's TOM KEIFER Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
Blabbermouth, 2 May 2014 link
CINDERELLA frontman Tom Keifer is featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?"segment. In the 11-minute clip below, Keifer talks about the beginnings of CINDERELLA, his early battles with addiction, his frightening vocal cord surgeries and much more. [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu May 08, 2014 4:34 pm

OPETH's MIKAEL ÅKERFELDT Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
Blabbermouth, 7 May 2014 link
Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metallers OPETH is featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?"segment. In the 13-minute clip below, Åkerfeldt sets the record straight on his beginnings as a musician, the long and complex history of OPETH, battling the chicken pox as an adult, his personal choice for the greatest metal album of all time and much more. [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Original KISS Guitarist ACE FREHLEY Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
Blabbermouth, 15 May 2014 link
Original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley is featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?" segment. In the first 11-minute clip below, Frehley talks about gang life as a youth, being expelled from multiple high schools, an insane allergic reaction to his face paint, being electrocuted onstage and more. [...]
former Living Person

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Thu May 22, 2014 3:31 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ofMidnight
Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/ChildofMidnight

Seriously? This is too long? The last one was too short.

Drmies (talk) 22:25, 21 May 2014 (UTC)

Yes, the last one was too short. That doesn't mean this one isn't too long; it is.

AGK [•] 22:28, 21 May 2014 (UTC)
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 22, 2014 4:23 am

neved wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ofMidnight
Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/ChildofMidnight

Seriously? This is too long? The last one was too short.

Drmies (talk) 22:25, 21 May 2014 (UTC)

Yes, the last one was too short. That doesn't mean this one isn't too long; it is.

AGK [•] 22:28, 21 May 2014 (UTC)
New nickname: Procrustes (T-H-L)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon May 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Wikipedia: skurrile Geschichten aus der Online-Enzyklopädie
Howard "Ward" Cunningham gilt als Vater der Online-Wikis wie Wikipedia. Am 26. Mai 2014 feiert der US-Programmierer seinen 65. Geburtstag. Wir haben uns in die Untiefen der Online-Enzyklopädie vorgekämpft - und sind auf allerhand skurrile Geschichten gestoß
Web.de, 26 May 2014 link

Google- translation from German link
Wikipedia: bizarre stories from the online encyclopedia

Howard " Ward " Cunningham is considered the father of online wikis such as Wikipedia . On May 26, 2014, the U.S. programmers celebrates his 65th birthday. We have been fighting us in the depths of the online Encyclopedia - and have encountered all sorts of bizarre stories . When Howard " Ward " Cunningham on March 25 In 1995, the " WikiWikiWeb " he not have thought that his idea would become a fixture on the Internet. Today, " wikis " standard , the most well-known wiki platform is the online encyclopedia Wikipedia . The advantage of this system contents can be edited and edited by many participants. Thus, the articles are always up to date. However, this actuality may also like once drift into Whimsical , as the following examples show .The most bizarre Wikipedia entries: [...]
With a gallery of screen shots of nonsensical articles, in the English- and German-language Wikipedias, about the following:

Flying Spaghetti Monster
Bielefeld
Tube Bar prank calls
Joint
Pommesgabel
Vores
Beerware
Kola Superdeep Borehole
Bunny Man
Ventilatortod
Absurdistan
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed May 28, 2014 10:14 pm

JUDAS PRIEST Featured In Latest Episode Of 'Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?'
Blabbermouth, 28 May 2014 link
JUDAS PRIEST members Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton and Richie Faulkner are featured in Loudwire's latest "Wikipedia: Fact Or Fiction?" segment. In the first 14-minute clip below, they discuss life before the band, Halford working at an X-rated cinema, the early years of PRIEST, being banned from Madison Square Garden, Halford fronting BLACK SABBATH to fill in for the great Ronnie James Dio and much more.
former Living Person

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Thu May 29, 2014 3:13 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =610569004
Could the Virgin Mary have been a lesbian, if as some believe she never engaged in sexual activity during the course of her life? Who knows?
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:14 am

Chris Jericho Plays ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction'
Loudwire, 26 June 2014 link

Part 1: Part 2:
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 pm

This is nice.

Avenged Sevenfold’s Jimmy ‘The Rev’ Sullivan Temporarily Declared Immortal on Wikipedia
Loudwire, 27 June 2014 link
[...] If you’ve watched our ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?‘ series, you know that not everything that’s listed on Wikipedia is indeed fact, but there’s no arguing that The Rev’s music will live on forever. This news about The Rev also reminds us of when Wikipedia officially declared Metallica frontman James Hetfield as a table in reference to the singer’s cries of “I am the table!” from Metallica’s critically maligned work with Lou Reed, ‘Lulu.’ [...] Image

former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Five Things We Learned From Ice-T’s ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ [VIDEO]
The Boombox, 3 July 2014 link
Rap veteran Ice-T has lived a very colorful life. During his career as a rapper, actor and Body Count frontman, he has seen it all. So how much of the information about his rich history is accurate on Wikipedia? The good folks at Loudwire interviewed Ice-T for their latest edition of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’
Video of the interview with Mr Tracey Lauren Marrow is embedded.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Rob Caggiano Plays ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’
Loudwire, 9 July 2014 link
In this week’s edition of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?‘ we sat down with guitarist Rob Caggiano of Volbeat and formerly of Anthrax.

In the latest episode of our signature segment, Caggiano clears up rumors about his first professional band Boiler Room being signed after opening for Orgy, describes a breakdown in negotiations between record companies with Anthrax’s contract, how he joined Volbeat so shortly after leaving Anthrax and much more.

Check out Rob Caggiano in this episode of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ in the video above!
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Remember More of the Books You Read by Visiting Wikipedia First
Lifehacker, 17 July 2014 link
You can retain more of the knowledge you glean from books by prepping your brain with background information before reading. That makes Wikipedia a great tool for readers. In a post about becoming a faster reader, entrepreneur Ryan Battles explains: "There is a relationship between background knowledge and reading comprehension. The more you understand about a particular subject, the more 'hooks' keep the facts in there. So if you are going to read a book on a subject you don't know much about, check out the Wikipedia article on it first to prep your brain to retain more." This might work best with non-fiction books, although you could also prep your brain for remembering fiction too (especially long novels with tons of details like Game of Thrones). [...]
"Books"? Aren't they those rectangular things that might explode if you touch them? The author has illustrated her story with this mystifying photo of a "book":

Scary! It looks like a trap! Wikipedia says that a Book (T-H-L) "is a set of written, printed, illustrated, or blank sheets, made of ink, paper, parchment, or other materials, usually fastened together to hinge at one side." How can something be made of "ink"? Wikipedia says Ink (T-H-L) "is a liquid or paste that contains pigments or dyes and is used to color a surface to produce an image, text, or design." How could a liquid produce an image, text, or design? Even spookier, how could this "ink" produce a set of blank sheets? Why does a "book" need a hinge? And what are "novels"? If they are fiction why would you want to remember them? The advice here is to read these things as fast as you possibly can. Wouldn't it be faster just to read the Wikipedia article, which is always there so you don't have to remember it, or even read it?
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:45 pm

I look at someone like Ryan Battles' resume, and I wonder how they possibly make a good living. Granted, cost of living in Columbus, Ohio is not as high as other tech centers, but still...

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:37 am

'Weird Al' Yankovic Plays 'Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?' ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Talks the Origin of His Name + More in ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction’?
PopCrush, 1 August 2014 link
Ever wonder if what you read on Wikipedia is true? Well, ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic sat down with Diffuser.fm and separated the truth from the lies in a game of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction.’ The ‘First World Problems’ singer dished on everything from the origin of his name to the subliminal messages in his music to his incredibly awkward run-in with Prince at an awards show. Check out some of the highlights below, and watch the full video above! On his full name being Alfred Matthew Yankovic: “That is in fact my full name. My freshman year in the dorm… There were at least one or two people calling me ‘Weird Al’. I don’t know why,” he revealed about earning his nickname, putting on a mock sad face. “People are cruel.” [...]
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Word Crimes
former Living Person