Kafkaesque

Mancunium
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Kafkaesque

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 pm

'I'm genuinely worried' Example says he's disturbed by what teenage girls tweet to him
Daily Express, 3 September 2013 link
Discussing the lies that are posted on their Wikipedia pages, Chris said: "There's something on Wikipedia that says I have this thing called the Geordie flick. And it says that I won a competition for the best haircut in Newcastle, but it's utter b*****t."
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm

I'd post links to the insertion of these stupid comments, but can't find them.
Gleave is "popular", meaning people constantly grind and vandalize his bio......

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Example (musician) (T-H-L) - the thing about "Royal Mail Poet of the Year" is legit, if he doesn't want it known he shouldn't have talked about it in an interview. Whether it's notable enough for inclusion in the article, I don't know or care.

On the other hand, Chris Ramsey (T-H-L) - the hair joke edit was inserted by an anonymous editor in December last year and only deleted by me just now.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Hex wrote:On the other hand, Chris Ramsey (T-H-L) - the hair joke edit was inserted by an anonymous editor in December last year and only deleted by me just now.
He didn't feel the need to alter it:
Chris Ramsey wrote: ‏@IAmChrisRamsey 3 Dec 2012

haha I think people are changing it on the fly. Amazing

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Canberra Close Up: Liam Wyatt
ABC Canberra, 5 September 2013 link
Liam Wyatt has the claim of being the world's first 'Wikipedian in Residence' at the British Museum.

Now in the role of social media co-ordinator for the National Library of Australia, Liam is also recognised as the founder of the galleries, libraries, archives and museums collaboration (affectionately known and the 'GLAM' collaboration) in the Wikimedia community.

For the long conversation on Canberra Close Up, Liam gave 666 listeners an insight into the work of a Wikipedian.

In 2010 Liam spent five weeks at the Britsh Museum where he worked as a volunteer to make a case for the advantages of the existence of an in-house Wikipedian.

"It proved the point that we had more in common than we had apart...The unique abilities of both groups [The Bitish Museum and Wikipedia] could have synergies, I suppose is the business term for it, and we could have advantages that the other couldn't provide."

Liam saw the opportunity to find a relationalship of mutual benefit.

"Wikipedia obviously has the worldwide visability and it's up to date, is in lots of different languages and there is a community around it and it's obviously very visible on google. The British Museum and the cultural institutions have the expertise, have the objects themselves, have the experience to be able to provide that knowledge," he explained.
Liam Wyatt gives 666 listeners the Sign of the Beast

So, was his relationalship with the British Museum, the Britsh Museum or the Bitish Museum?

Wittylama (T-C-L)
former Living Person

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:58 am

Wikipedia:GLAM/British Museum (T-H-L)
Outcome

There didn't seem to be enough time to fully digest the exhibition but the excellent breakfast in the staff canteen certainly hit the spot.
And for dinner, succulent lamb?

From that Channel 4 piece:
Alex Thomson wrote:And that “succulent lamb”? Well it’s so engrained as a concept in Glasgow’s media culture that these days it even has its own Wikipedia entry.
..the article was deleted a month later.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 am

Hex wrote:On the other hand, Chris Ramsey (T-H-L)
Oops - that should have been Chris Ramsey (comedian) (T-H-L).
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:50 am

Comedy is a (Bill) Burr in our side
mydesert, 5 September 2013 link
Bill Burr arrives at Spotlight 29 Saturday with a reputation as a cutting-edge comic with a popular Monday morning podcast on billburr.com.

But you can’t believe everything you read about this guy.

Television viewers might recognize him from “Breaking Bad.” He has a recurring role as Kuby, the henchman who helped Walter White rob a freight train carrying a chemical needed to make methamphetamine.
[...]
Don’t get him started about Wikipedia.

“They have on my Wikipedia page that I was a hygienist at some point,” he said. “I never was. People just write (stuff) on your Wikipedia and you can’t get rid of it. It’s weird. I actually one time added something to my Wikipedia page and it was immediately taken off. I made up some (stuff) that I broke some underwater scuba diving record just to see if it would stick. It was only on there for like half a second and it got taken down. Then somebody else ended up writing something horrific like they were mad that I just wrote something nuts like that.”
Ladies and gentlemen, give a big Wikipedia welcome to Bill Burr (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:33 pm

City worships Google guru
The Times of India, 6 September 2013 link
As India celebrates Teacher's Day to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, some smart and considerate youngsters in the city decided to shower this generation's paramount teachers namely Google, Wikipedia and YouTube with love and appreciation. Wall posts were full of messages for the three, thanking them for their support and the knowledge that they have shared.

City youngsters poured in with their greetings on social networking sites.

'I think they deserve it the most after all they've been there all the time, actually all the time,' says the 21-year-old Shikhar Mehta, an engineering student from Pakhowal Road. 'I remember when I was in class 10 and I had to submit my projects, no teacher in school was ready to help me saying it was too late to seek help. That was the first time Google came to my rescue and even at 12 midnight it never refused to render any sort of help', he shares.

And as for Wikipedia, it's the ideal teacher, says the 19-year-old Swakirti from Civil Lines. 'Who is an ideal teacher? Someone who is full of knowledge about everything under the sun. Someone who is ready to assist you with information at any time of the day. That's exactly what Wikipedia is about'.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Guy Fieri Is 'Genocidal,' According to Wikipedia
The TV chef’s Wikipedia page got defaced in a bizarre way
The Daily Meal, 6 September 2013 link
Guy Fieri: TV personality, chef, restaurateur… "genocidal member of the U.S. Supreme Court"?

It appears as if the modern-day equivalent of a vandal decided to edit Fieri’s Wikipedia page, and now when you type his name into Google, the second item that comes up is a link to it, with the text, "Guy Fieri is a television personality working for Food Network, or rather, he was before he became a genocidal member of the U.S. Supreme Court; unfortunately..." visible. When you click on the actual link, the unauthorized addition goes away, but it still appears in the cached version.

Celebrities, especially ones as infamous as Fieri, are no stranger to Wikipedia-bashing, and the online encyclopedia has a whole fleet of "scrubbers" who make sure that unwarranted, unsavory additions to personal pages are taken down quickly, and they generally are (that’s the risk inherent in running a site that anyone can edit). But in this case, it looks like Google’s crawlers happened to come along at a hilariously unfortunate time.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Paris for Dummies, According to wikipedia
Books Live, 9 September 2013 link
Paris
Edward Rutherfurd (Hodder & Stoughton)
An encyclopedic novel that attempts to pack in eight centuries of the French capital’s history resembles a tourist souvenir shop, says Tim Martin

Did you know how the Parisian arrondissements work? The city’s Latin motto? How the Eiffel Tower was built? You will if you read Edward Rutherfurd’s Paris, the latest in a string of swollen, encyclopedic, million-selling city novels (Sarum, London, Dublin, New York) and a book in which style, character and plot are blithely sacrificed on the altar of trivia with every turn of the page.

This is history for people who can’t be bothered to read it, an 800-page whizz through eight centuries of Parisian life in which every character has swallowed a guidebook. Credulous American tourists, 18th-century schoolboys and medieval hicks throng the pages, eager to do their bit in conversations such as “By the way, did you know the origin of the word ‘bistro’?” and “Your name begins with a ‘de’. Does that mean you are noble?”
[...]
Sometimes there’s a Dan Brownian tinge to the clubfooted descriptions — one passage begins “The tall woman paused. She was gaunt” – while other bits are simple witter: “Chaos and dictatorship, monarchy and republic, Paris had tried them all. And which did she like best? Ah, there was a question. For all her age and grace, it seemed she did not know.” But give him credit, Rutherfurd knows his market, and it isn’t the same one that sends out for copies of Germinal and La Comédie Humaine. Instead this is the equivalent of a souvenir shop for low-level Francophiles, packaging highlights from the history of the world’s most self-promoting city into a sequence of colourful dioramas with dialogue by Wikipedia.

And it will probably sell a million.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Whitney Houston's Death Created Wikipedia's Biggest Traffic Spike: We Are a Morbid Nation
Hollywood.com, 7 September 2013 link
A special report published in The Signpost, Wikipedia's community-managed newspaper, reveals that Houston's death brought a record number of fact-seekers to her Wikipedia page.

According to The Signpost, "On February 12, 2012, news of Whitney Houston's death brought 425 hits per second to her Wikipedia article, the highest peak traffic on any article since at least January 2010."

And it looks as though the traffic boost Houston's death gave the site is only the beginning of a trend. Of the eight stories The Signpost lists as the most viewed pages on Wikipedia in a one hour period, since January 1, 2010, five of them — a motley crew consisting of Houston, Amy Winehouse, Steve Jobs, Osama bin Laden, and Ryan Dunn — were due to their respective subject's death.

Of course, Wikipedia's analytics have no way of tracking the motivation behind its users' searches, so people could have been looking for highlights from Houston's life or to determine what year she starred in The Bodyguard as they were to check out the cause of her death, but come on. That's probably not the case. We are a morbid, death-obsessed nation so the spectulation seems as crazy as Bobby Brown's reality show.

Second only to prominent deaths in the hearts and minds of Wikipedia's English-language readers is the Super Bowl halftime show, The Signpost reports. Searches for Madonna and The Who skyrocketed when they took to the 50 yard line in 2012 and 2010, respectively. The only entry to break the top nine (why Signpost only reported the top nine and not the top 10 is beyond me) is Jodie Foster, who peaked at 125.4 views/sec during her 2013 Golden Globes speech.

Now, imagine if Jodie Foster died after "coming out" while performing at the Super Bowl halftime show — Wikipedia would implode. Sorry, Jodie. That was mean. You wouldn't be caught dead at the Super Bowl.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Donkey See, Donkey Doo
Blogtown, Portland Mercury, 10 September 2013 link

A Dan Savage blogpost, originally published 26 October 2006, it contains this letter to Dan I had never seen before:
I'm working with Wikipedia, where we're currently debating the "Donkey Punch." It may not be real, but Wikipedia has articles on perpetual motion, sewer alligators, and creationism—why not Donkey Punching? The difference, though, is that the Donkey Punch (fucking someone in the ass and then punching them hard in the back of the head or neck, so that the sudden pain and/or unconsciousness causes the asshole to constrict spasmodically) is short-term dangerous. Therefore, some editors have said the article should specify just how risky and possibly even criminal it is.

A statement about the physical and legal risks of the Donkey Punch, although we may think it self-evident, must come from a reputable source. And who's more reputable than Dan Savage? So, yes, even though this is a stupid, brutal hoax whose risks and fraudulent nature should be readily apparent, and even though the Wikipedia article already quotes your description of it as "a sex act that exists only in the imaginations of adolescent boys," could you spare a few lines to say that punching someone in the back of the head or neck when they're not expecting it can cause horrible damage and may even be criminal?

An Encyclopedia Geek
Mr Savage does not recommend the practice.
former Living Person

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 am

Mancunium wrote:Donkey See, Donkey Doo
Blogtown, Portland Mercury, 10 September 2013 link

A Dan Savage blogpost, originally published 26 October 2006, it contains this letter to Dan I had never seen before:
I'm working with Wikipedia, where we're currently debating the "Donkey Punch." It may not be real, but Wikipedia has articles on perpetual motion, sewer alligators, and creationism—why not Donkey Punching? The difference, though, is that the Donkey Punch (fucking someone in the ass and then punching them hard in the back of the head or neck, so that the sudden pain and/or unconsciousness causes the asshole to constrict spasmodically) is short-term dangerous. Therefore, some editors have said the article should specify just how risky and possibly even criminal it is.

A statement about the physical and legal risks of the Donkey Punch, although we may think it self-evident, must come from a reputable source. And who's more reputable than Dan Savage? So, yes, even though this is a stupid, brutal hoax whose risks and fraudulent nature should be readily apparent, and even though the Wikipedia article already quotes your description of it as "a sex act that exists only in the imaginations of adolescent boys," could you spare a few lines to say that punching someone in the back of the head or neck when they're not expecting it can cause horrible damage and may even be criminal?

An Encyclopedia Geek
Mr Savage does not recommend the practice.
Time to recommend our blog post covering the topic, at least.

Wikipedia – Men and children first

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Confessions of a Serial Entrepreneur
Wikipedia for wingers: Back up your banter with smartphone smart Alec
City A.M. link
But necessity is the mother of many a startup and, as I sat there uncomfortably, a business idea – a vision – suddenly came to me: a website where the user enters some “facts”, presses go, and a nice web page appears with those “facts” tidied up and looking official. Glorious! It will be full of terms like “Statistics show that...”, “Recent research proves...”, and “Academic studies confirm that…”. And it will even be titled something like Wikiipedia, because if it’s checked, who’s going to notice an extra "i"? Or is Wickipedia even better still?

So with my help, you will be able to risk any kind of trivial throwaway, and the moment anyone looks doubtful, grab your phone, tap, tap, tap, and then get to smile humbly and say things like, “Look, it says here on Wicki, that I’m right. A hippopotamus can jump higher than a rhinoceros. Surprising yes, but indeed true”.

In fact, I’m so confident about my idea that I think I will also do an app which will be much easier to use than a website, and faster too. Speed is important because you don’t want anyone else to start checking their own smartphone while you’re tapping away.

Now my business will need funding, of course, but the business case is overwhelming: there will be a small charge for each download of my Wicki app, and even the Chinese will flock to it (“Yes, our Great Wall can indeed be seen from the moon”), so it truly does have global potential. After all, research has shown that people from all cultures, all over the world, all through history, have enjoyed slightly “winging it” in conversations, and getting away with it. You can check that yourself on Wickipedia.

Richard Farleigh has operated as a business angel for many years, backing more early-stage companies than anyone else in the UK.
Google refuses to believe that there is a Wikiipedia, but there are several sites called Wickipedia: link
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 am

Brooklyn Man Haunted By Exploding Toilet
Gothamist, 10 October 2013 link
A Brooklyn man has a new prayer for the porcelain gods: Please don't let my toilet explode in my face...again.

October 2nd started out as any other day for Flatbush resident Michel Pierre. He used the bathroom, presumably not while reading this lengthy Wikipedia entry on "Toilet related injuries and deaths," (Categories: Accidents, Injuries Caused By Animals, Historical Deaths) and, as people and particularly sophisticated pets do, went on to flush. That's when everything changed...forever.
Toilet-related_injuries_and_deaths (T-H-L)
There are many toilet-related injuries and some toilet-related deaths throughout history and in urban legends.
Contents

1 Accidents
2 Injuries caused by animals
3 Drop in blood pressure and dangerous Valsalva maneuvers
4 Historical deaths
4.1 Possible occurrences
5 Urban legends
6 Popular culture
6.1 Linked to external factors
7 See also
8 References
9 External links
former Living Person

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Mancunium wrote:Brooklyn Man Haunted By Exploding Toilet
A Brooklyn man has a new prayer for the porcelain gods: Please don't let my toilet explode in my face...again.

October 2nd started out as any other day for Flatbush resident Michel Pierre. He used the bathroom, presumably not while reading this lengthy Wikipedia entry on "Toilet related injuries and deaths," (Categories: Accidents, Injuries Caused By Animals, Historical Deaths) and, as people and particularly sophisticated pets do, went on to flush. That's when everything changed...forever.
Toilet-related_injuries_and_deaths (T-H-L)
There are many toilet-related injuries and some toilet-related deaths throughout history and in urban legends.
Contents

1 Accidents
2 Injuries caused by animals
3 Drop in blood pressure and dangerous Valsalva maneuvers
4 Historical deaths
4.1 Possible occurrences
5 Urban legends
6 Popular culture
6.1 Linked to external factors
7 See also
8 References
9 External links
:facepalm:

Toilet paper orientation (T-H-L)

List of unusual deaths (T-H-L)

I have the "unusual deaths" article on my watchlist. The edit warring and assiduous attention by TheRedPenOfDoom (T-C-L) provides some... "interesting" (and sometimes sickening) edit summaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =575207636

I guess drunks ain't bona fide?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Mancunium wrote:Brooklyn Man Haunted By Exploding Toilet
He probably had a Sloan Flushmate pressure mechanism, notorious for exploding. They were wildly popular in the late 90s. Despite a massive recall effort, many of the millions Sloan made are still in service today.

https://www.flushmate.com/productadvisory/

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Korn’s Munky + Ray Luzier Play Wikipedia Fact or Fiction
Loudwire, 16 October 2013 link
We recently sat down with Munky and Ray Luzier of Korn for an exclusive video interview. We caught up with the pair outside their New York City hotel before their show at Roseland Ballroom that night and the two rockers talked about a bunch of different topics while setting the record straight with a round of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’

In this exclusive clip, Munky talks about severing the tip of his finger, his beginnings on guitar with Brian ‘Head’ Welch, his relationship with former drummer David Silveria + much more, while Luzier opens up about his audition for Korn, nearly failing college + more.
Video embedded.
former Living Person

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:18 am

Mancunium wrote:Korn’s Munky + Ray Luzier Play Wikipedia Fact or Fiction
We recently sat down with Munky and Ray Luzier of Korn for an exclusive video interview. We caught up with the pair outside their New York City hotel before their show at Roseland Ballroom that night and the two rockers talked about a bunch of different topics while setting the record straight with a round of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’

In this exclusive clip, Munky talks about severing the tip of his finger, his beginnings on guitar with Brian ‘Head’ Welch, his relationship with former drummer David Silveria + much more, while Luzier opens up about his audition for Korn, nearly failing college + more.
Video embedded.
Maybe Loudwire (T-C-L) should be more active in editing Wikipedia...
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:26 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Korn’s Munky + Ray Luzier Play Wikipedia Fact or Fiction

Video embedded.
Maybe Loudwire (T-C-L) should be more active in editing Wikipedia...
Looks like WP got it mostly right.

RfB

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Stephen Schnetzer's tough in 'Tribes,' nice offstage
Star Tribune [Minnesota], 26 October 2013 link
Q: If you’ve got a girlfriend, then your Wikipedia page is inaccurate because I think it says you’re still married.

A: Never believe everything Wikipedia [says]. I don’t even go online to see what my information is because I know it’s going to upset me.
Well, being upset by your Wikipedia BLP is just your punishment for having entertained people for the last 35 years, isn't it Stephen_Schnetzer (T-H-L)?
This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (December 2008)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Jai Brooks Added To Cheetah Girls Wikipedia Page
Nickutopia, 1 November 2013 link
We’re not sure if the Janoskians had anything to do with this, or if Jai’s fans are pranking him, but either way it’s pretty funny! Jai’s name has been added to the Wikipedia page for the Cheetah Girls!

The page now claims that Jai is a member of the all-girl group that was active from 2003 to 2008.

We wonder how long the page will stay this way before someone in charge of Wikipedia fixes it! Stay tuned!
OMG!!! I don't even know who Jai Brooks is!!!

former Living Person

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Mancunium wrote:OMG!!! I don't even know who Jai Brooks is!!!
Wikipedia is your friend: The Janoskians (T-H-L)

And here he is:

"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Duff McKagan + Jeff Angell of Walking Papers Play ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’
Loudwire, 4 November 2013 link
We’ve got yet another revealing episode of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?‘ for you! This time, we managed to lure Walking Papers bassist Duff McKagan and frontman Jeff Angell into our studio to set the record straight on the info published on their personal Wikipedia pages.

We talk to the Guns N’ Roses / Velvet Revolver legend about how he got the name ‘Duff,’ his connection with Duff Beer on ‘The Simpsons,’ how he kicked his alcohol habit after a major medical issue + more. We also speak to Angell about how his band the Missionary Position got its name, touring with Dee Dee Ramone + more.

Pick up Walking Papers’ self-titled debut album at iTunes, and be sure to check out the Walking Papers edition of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ above!
Video embedded.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Cute:

Eagle-eyed offspring send Daddy rushing to Wikipedia
Waterloo Record, 4 November 2013 link
... I remember the days when their questions ran along the lines of "where's Mommy?" and "what happened to kitty?" as they crawled around the living room bumping into coffee tables and eating cat treats off the carpet.

But lately, as their tiny brains ascend toward higher consciousness, I find myself confused, perplexed and befuddled more than I'd like to admit.

"What's gravity?" asks Max, who has autism and a unique ability to hyperfocus on any subject of his choosing.

Gravity? How should I know? I dropped out of Grade 10 physics.

Thank goodness for Wikipedia, which I officially frown upon as an error-ridden bastardization of the old school Encyclopedia Britannica, but which is unofficially my go-to resource for all things academic. A virtual Einstein.

How many moons does Mars have?

"Mars has two known moons, Phobos and Deimos, which are small and irregularly shaped," I recite word for word from the internet oracle. "These may be captured asteroids similar to 5261 Eureka, a Martian trojan asteroid."

Max looks at me, confused. "Come on," I push, re-scanning the text. "What part didn't you understand?"

Sammy, 19 months his junior, is less interested in planetary phenomena than the tempestuous world of fairy tale conflict.

"Why did the giant try to kill Jack?" he wants to know, eyes jutting like golf balls after a dramatic reading of Jack and the Beanstalk. "And why did Jack steal his gold?"

"Listen, Sam," I inform him, uncomfortable in this airy fairy world of make-believe.

"The giant was a bully. And just like in Rambos one through three — and that includes the oft-neglected First Blood — he got exactly what was coming to him.''

Sam looks at me, confused.

"Fiscally, he's the elitist one per cent," I lecture impatiently. "Why should he have all the gold? Have you heard of trickle down economics? Trust me, it doesn't work." ...

Joel Rubinoff is at home, eating Oreo cookies and scrolling through Wikipedia for a proper definition of “trickle down economics.”
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Lita Ford Plays ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ – Runaways, Family Struggles + More
Loudwire, 5 November 2013, link
Lita Ford is the featured musician in our latest episode of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?‘ The legendary metal queen and one-time Runaways member delivered the most personal ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ segment to date, delving deep into her personal life.

Lita Ford begins with some tongue-in-cheek conversation on Wikipedia getting her name wrong before going in-depth with some Runaways history. Afterwards, Ford allowed us to get personal, speaking in great detail about her recent family struggles.

This interview is truly must-see for rock fans everywhere. Enjoy this edition of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ starring Lita Ford.

Lita Ford is an outspoken figure on the subject of parental alienation. Find out more at Lita Ford’s Parental-Alienation Awareness Facebook page.
Video embedded.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am

Magnus Carlsen, an amazing player
Janesville Gazette, 23 November 2013 link
I confess, I did NOT know who MAGNUS CARLSEN until Monday morning, the 11th of November 2013 when the World Chess Championship Match started in Chennai, India. As usual, I watched the Norwegian Broadcasting's “Dagsrevy” – the daily TV news review from the night before. I learned that NORWEGIAN MAGNUS CARLSEN would be playing the 5 time WORLD CHAMPION VISWANATHAN ANAND of India with the opening ceremony to be on Monday, November 11, 2013.

I learned that it would be a MAJOR WORLD EVENT with streaming available so the matches could be watched live with commentary as well as later with podcasts. I became aware of FIDE (Fédération internationale des échecs or World Chess Foundation) which has gradually become the world chess group having evolved since 1914 as players were trying to gain world-wide credibility. I encourage you to tread Wikipedia's article, “FIDE,” to gain information and perspective. [...] The next Chess Olympiad will be in 2014 in Tromso, Norway. GOOD LOCATION considering the fact that the WORLD CHESS CHAMPION is a native of NORWAY. That location was set years ago. In fact, one can project that the Chess Olympiad in 2016 will be in Baku, Azerbaijan. If you want to learn more about the Chess Olympiad 0 again I suggest you turn to Wikipedia.

Let me tell you, since Monday, November 11, 2013 I have learned about a whole new “world” – the WORLD of CHESS! Amazing!! I have also learned about MAGNUS CARLSEN! He is an AMAZING person!

[...] If you want to watch the celebration by MAGNUS and his family and friends in Chennai, India, I invite you to watch the DAGSREVY report from last night. WARNING: The broadcast is in NORWEGIAN. In spite of the language barrier, YOU will be able to SHARE THE JOY OF CELEBRATION, including throwing MAGNUS and his manager into the hotel swimming pool fully dressed. If you stick with the broadcast, you will see the interview with his sisters as well as a report on life at the Chess School in Oslo where Magnus attended. NORWAY is celebrating having the WORLD CHESS CHAMPION! WARNING: I think this program will be replaced when tonight's “Dagsrevy” is broadcast. Remember: NORWAY is 7 hours ahead of us.

If you are a chess enthusiast, you will want to go to the website for the World Chess Championship tournament. Which just ended. You will find everything you wanted to know, but didn't dare ask about WORLD CHESS! ENJOY! [... and on and on and on in similar fashion ...]
Who is this PERSON, and why is he SHOUTING at me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Going from cellar-door to sex - in a 'phonaesthetic' sense
Otaga Daily Times, 28 November 2013 link
Something you almost certainly don't know about me is that I dedicate a certain period of my day, usually half-an-hour to an hour, to trawling through random Wikipedia pages. Materially, I do this because I get bored easily and the time-wasting potential of Wikipedia is immeasurable. It makes me feel like I'm actually learning something during the aforementioned time-wasting, and the therapeutic qualities of wilful self-delusion should never be underestimated. Besides, who knows, perhaps one day the knowledge that sloths only pee once a week will somehow come to save my life. Unlikely, yes. But not impossible.

Anyway, during one of my recent Wikipedia trawls I stumbled (via ''spoons'', ''Bill Gates'', and ''Mesopotamia'') across the Wikipedia page entitled ''Cellar-door''. I can assure you I was as bemused as you probably are to discover that the word ''cellar-door'' actually has its own Wikipedia page, but I soon learnt the reason: [...]
Cellar_door (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:59 pm

GWAR’s Oderus Urungus Plays Wikipedia Fact or Fiction: Family, Cuttlefish, Arrest + More [Watch]
Loudwire, 9 December 2013 link
We’re back with yet another eye-opening edition of ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?‘ We’ve never really done this with an intergalactic metal warmonger before, so we took the opportunity to explore Oderus Urungus‘ Wikipedia page and asked the GWAR front-thing to set the record straight.

In this revealing interview, Oderus tells us all about his parents, his age (both in human years and Scumdog years), his infamous cuttlefish, being arrested for obscenity in North Carolina + much more! This hard-hitting discussion makes CNN look like TMZ, so get ready to take an unmasked (figuratively speaking) look at our interplanetary ruler and good friend Oderus Urungus! Check out Oderus Urungus playing ‘Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?’ in the video above!
video embedded
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:20 am

Hipster, surfer or biker? Computers may soon be able to tell the difference
TG Daily, 12 December 2013 link

[...] Computer scientists at the University of California, San Diego, are developing an algorithm that uses group pictures to determine to which of these groups, or urban tribes, you belong. [...] An algorithm able to identify people’s urban tribes would have a wide range of applications, from generating more relevant search results and ads, to allowing social networks to provide better recommendations and content. There also is a growing interest in analyzing footage from cameras installed in public spaces to identify groups rather than individuals. Computer scientists presented their findings at the British Machine Vision Conference in the United Kingdom this fall.

To define urban tribes in the study, computer scientists turned to Wikipedia and selected the eight most popular categories in the encyclopedia’s list of subcultures: biker, country, Goth, heavy metal, hip hop, hipster, raver and surfer. They also included photographs from three common categories for social venues: formal events, dance clubs and casual pubs. A by-product of their research was the development of an extensive dataset of urban tribe pictures, including hundreds of images, which they plan to make available to other research groups.
List_of_subcultures (T-H-L)
Click below to see list:
Alcoholics Anonymous[1]
BDSM[2]
Beat Generation,[3] see Beatnik
Biker, see also Motorcycle clubs and Outlaw motorcycle clubs
Bills[4]
Bodybuilding[5]
Bohemianism[6]
Bōsōzoku[7]
Casuals[8]
Chongas
Cosplayers[9]
Cybergoth[10]
Dark culture
Deaf culture[11]
Demoscene[12]
Emo[13]
Fandom[14]
Fetish subculture, see Omorashi
Freak scene[15]
Furry fandom [16]
Glam rock and glam metal[17]
Gopnik
Goth subculture[18]
Gothic Lolita[9][19]
Greaser (subculture)[20]
Grunge
Hacker,[21] see Hacker (free and open source software) and Hacker (computer security)
Hardline
Heavy metal subculture[22]
Hip hop culture, see also B-boy, Graffiti artists
Hippie/Hippy[23]
Hipster, see Hipster (1940s subculture) and Hipster (contemporary subculture)
Industrial,[24] see also Rivethead.
Juggalo[25]
Juggling[26]
Junglist
Leather subculture
LGBT culture, see also Bears (Gay)
Mangas
Mod (subculture),[27] see Mod revival
Metalcore[28]
Military brat
New Age
New Romanticism[29]
Nudism/Naturism[30]
Northern Soul
Otaku[31]
Otherkin, see also Vampire lifestyle and Therianthropy
Pachuco[32]
Pokémon
Polyamory
Preppy[33]
Punk subculture[34]
Queer culture
Raggare
Rave[35]
Riot Grrrl[36]
Rivethead, see Industrial music
Rockabilly[37]
Rocker (subculture)[38]
Role-playing gamers[39]
Rude boy[37][40]
Satanism[41]
Science fiction fandom
Scooterboy[42]
Scouting[43]
Skater
Skinhead;[44] See also: Gay skinhead,[44] Redskin (subculture), Trojan skinhead, White power skinhead & Suedehead[45]
Soulboy[46]
Steampunk[47]
Stilyaga
Straight edge
Surf culture
Survivalism
Swing Kids
Swinging [48]
Teenybopper[49]
Teddy Boy[50]
Trekkie[51]
Zazou[52]
Last edited by Zoloft on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added hide tags to long list
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

The Darkness - sober and back on top rock form - prepare for their Leicester 02 show.
Leicester Mercury, 13 December 2013 link
The Darkness prepare for a gig in Leicester this Sunday. Lead singer Justin Hawkins talks to Lee Marlow about the UK press, Charlotte Church and a mountain of drugs.

[...] “Most journalists I speak to have a cursory look at our Wikipedia page, which is full of errors, and then ask the most obvious questions – ‘So how long have you been back together?’” He sighs deeply as I frantically scrub out my next question. The Darkness have been back together since 2011, according to their Wikipedia page. Not true, says the falsetto frontman. “Me and Dan were writing together back in 2009,” he says. “We just didn’t tell anyone about it.”

“It’s best not to take it seriously. Euan Blair (son of former PM Tony) used to come to a lot of our shows. Someone asked me what would I say to him if I met him and I said: ‘I’d ask him how it feels knowing his dad was a mass murderer.’ [...]
The_Darkness_(band) (T-H-L)

Possibly-incorrect information about The Darkness band members
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:55 am

Did Someone Just Change Wale’s Wikipedia Page?
XXL, 13 December 2013 link

So Wale is having a real interesting day. Earlier today he got into an ugly yelling match with Complex about their 50 Best Albums of 2013 because his latest album, The Gifted was overlooked. To say he was furious was an understatement, Wale went ham threatening Complex’s entire staff. He then took to Instagram of him entering Complex. Well, it doesn’t end there. If you go on Wale’s Wikipedia page it appears someone made an edit to his page. Following his rapper name, is ”(a.k.a The sensitive Rapper).” See the screenshot above.
Wale_(rapper) (T-H-L) diff: link
Wale (rapper): Difference between revisions
Revision as of 00:19, 14 December 2013 (edit) (undo)
172.56.10.196 (talk)
Next edit →
Line 19:
'''Olubowale Victor Akintimehin''' (born on September 21, 1984), better known by his stage name '''Wale ''' ({{IPAc-en|ˈ|w|ɔː|l|ei}} {{respell|WAW|lay}}), is an [[United States|American]] [[Bitch|rapper]] from [[Washington, D.C.]].
former Living Person

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:35 am

Mancunium wrote:Did Someone Just Change Wale’s Wikipedia Page?
What a dim headline.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Hex wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Did Someone Just Change Wale’s Wikipedia Page?
What a dim headline.
Most people think Wikipedia is maintained by experts, and don't realize that it can be edited by anyone.
One constantly sees stories of Wikipedia vandalism described as "hacking", as if only a 1337 genius could change a page.

What XXL was trying to understand is the constant vandalism of Wale's BLP,
which today was finally protected by Mark_Arsten (T-C-L)

The edit history: link

Earlier today:
[[Mark Ronson]] discovered Wale in 2006 when he was caught giving a handjob and signed him to [[Allido Records]] in 2007. ... In 2008, Wale signed to [[Interscope Records]] for $10, and his debut album ''[[Attention Deficit (album)|Attention Deficit]]'' was released in 2009 with the singles "[[Chillin (Wale song)|Chillin]]", "[[Pretty Girls (Wale song)|Pretty Girls]]", and "[[World Tour (Wale song)|World Tour]]". The album, although under-shipped, was still horrible in every way.
I posted this in my comment:
'''Olubowale Victor Akintimehin''' (born on September 21, 1984), better known by his stage name '''Wale ''' ({{IPAc-en|ˈ|w|ɔː|l|ei}} {{respell|WAW|lay}}), is an [[United States|American]] [[Bitch|rapper]] from [[Washington, D.C.]]
because I had never seen a trick hyperlink in Wikipedia before, although I suppose there must be lots of them.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:29 pm

RD: Wikipedia Salah Tulis Tanggal Lahir Saya
Kompas, 15 December 2013 link

Google Translate doesn't do Bahasa Indonesia well-- surprising, because it's a lingua franca, and one of the easiest languages in the world to learn; Barack Obama and I can converse in it (but only with each other). Football coach Rahmad Darmawan appealed to the Indonesian media to do something about his WP birthday. Since 2007 the English and Indonesian Wikipedias have been saying it's 26 November. He was born on 28 November.

English WP: Rahmad_Darmawan (T-H-L)

Indonesian WP: link
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm

One Direction star Harry Styles birth mystery
Bromsgrove Advertiser, 20 December 2013 link
It is a rumour that has caught the attention of Bromsgrove residents, as well as a number of dedicated fans of the heart-throb, but so far remains unanswered. Speculation that Harry Styles, from the internationally successful group One Direction, was born in Bromsgrove has been circulating among a number of people and discussed on numerous social media websites. The rumour has been fuelled by references on several websites to the singer being born in the town on February 1, 1994, and his birth being registered at Bromsgrove Registry Office, listed in the Civil Registration Index. Among those to state his Bromsgrove heritage are the American celebrity website TMZ, biography.com, and an unofficial biography written about the singer. Many of the group's famously loyal fans, known as the Directioners, have tweeted the Bromsgrove connection - some even boasting they had visited the town to other fans around the world. But other websites, including Wikipedia, list the 19-year-old as being born in Evesham. [...] Do you know where Harry was born - get in touch below...
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Rethinking the reading experience
News Straits Times, 21 December 2013 link
[...] Although Wikipedia (according to Wikipedia itself) was formally launched in January 2001, the idea of an online encyclopedia started very much earlier. Back then, encyclopedia was supposed to be the totem pole of knowledge. It was not just a compendium of knowledge, in fact a "library" in book form.

Encyclopedia Brittanica was a gargantuan intellectual endeavour and achievement. It has been around for 245 years since it first appeared in 1768. At its peak, it consisted of 65,000 entries in 44 million words covering 33,000 pages with 24,000 images, all in 32 volumes. I used to have a set at home bought not unlike a hire purchase arrangement for a car. When things didn't work well financially, I sold my set with massive losses.

Then came Wikipedia. I am much cleverer now thanks to it. I depend a lot on it. According to its own website, as of this year, it is a site for 30.4 million "mainspace" articles in 287 languages with 10 billion global page views per month. If that is not massive, what is? Wikipedia is everyone's favourite encyclopedia these days. We grumbled, we complained and we may not agree with the content, but we checked, used and quoted from Wikipedia. Check your facts from books in libraries you say? Well, the ultimate snake temples have gone eerily irrelevant.

Now, wait a minute! Books are still published at the speed of a title every 30 seconds the world over, according to Gabriel Zaid in So Many Books. There are more books published now than ever before. I am not a literary scholar. I enjoy books, all types of books. I don't mind the notorious Fifty Shades of Grey as much as I find it challenging to reread Ulysses or Hujan Pagi. Some classics put me to slumber. Some books I read for mere pleasure -- forbidden sometimes -- but pleasurable no less. How would I explain reading Taking the Piss, Assholes: A Theory, Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History or God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis?

These are interesting books, written with clarity and conviction, talking about the most mundane of things, yet with intellectual honesty and moral integrity. [...]
People looking at books
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Who thinks BLP vandalism is to be encouraged? This person, for one:

Ray Allen's Wikipedia Page Needs a Facelift (Trust Me, Celtics Fans)
BostInno, 21 December 2013 link
This is the page that internet surfers see when they want to lookup Ray Allen on Wikipedia:

See the problem? It hasn't been vandalized. Come on, fans.
Now, he's no Billy Cundiff, but it's an interesting Wikipedia page when looking at the main picture. As you can see, despite going through more than a year of a scorn for leaving the Celtics, the storm of anger emanating from Boston fans apparently missed the popular online encyclopedia. Clearly, it isn't Ray himself who updates the page (that would be a story were it true). But doesn't he have people who are on this? While it's a known fact that Ray has had online representation problems in the past, that doesn't mean someone can't step up here. Don't worry, here's a solution: select one of the following three pictures (since no one really wants to see him wearing a Heat jersey anyway). [...]
The author then goes on to suggest several ways to mock Ray Allen, all of them racist. Here is what this sports journalist looks like:

Jerk
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:16 am

Jim Schwartz’s Wikipedia page says Lions are in shit place
FanSided, 22 December 2013, link
The Detroit Lions lost to the New York Giants at home in overtime. It was a tough loss and the fans at one point booed the decision to go to overtime leading head coach Jim Schwartz to turn and curse at the fans.[...] Lions fans took out their frustrations on Schwartz’s Wikipedia page. They didn’t add anything about the cursing, just what place the Lions were in. Take a look:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
former Living Person

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Mancunium wrote:The Church of the Indelible Barnstar
<clip>
Adding another, presuming that this is the thread of Wikipedia tattoos mentioned elsewhere:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Just to tie up this topic:

Kafka's_Dick (T-H-L)

Edit: Needs extending.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:35 am

Mancunium wrote: Zazou[52]

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 am

Man cave (T-H-L)

Caption: Man cave with retiree writing articles for Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ancave.JPG

Oh, if I had time, I would so Photoshop this (in fact, I may in a day or two!):

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/20 ... ad-stinks/
Wear pajamas
Drink hot chocolate
Talk about editing Wikipedia articles.

#getediting

wikipedia.org
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:14 am

The Joy wrote:Oh, if I had time, I would so Photoshop this (in fact, I may in a day or two!):
Insert this in one of his laptop displays.
Or maybe this one.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Mancunium wrote:One Direction star Harry Styles birth mystery
Bromsgrove Advertiser, 20 December 2013 link
It is a rumour that has caught the attention of Bromsgrove residents, as well as a number of dedicated fans of the heart-throb, but so far remains unanswered. Speculation that Harry Styles, from the internationally successful group One Direction, was born in Bromsgrove has been circulating among a number of people and discussed on numerous social media websites. The rumour has been fuelled by references on several websites to the singer being born in the town on February 1, 1994, and his birth being registered at Bromsgrove Registry Office, listed in the Civil Registration Index. Among those to state his Bromsgrove heritage are the American celebrity website TMZ, biography.com, and an unofficial biography written about the singer. Many of the group's famously loyal fans, known as the Directioners, have tweeted the Bromsgrove connection - some even boasting they had visited the town to other fans around the world. But other websites, including Wikipedia, list the 19-year-old as being born in Evesham. [...] Do you know where Harry was born - get in touch below...
Harry Styles' dad tweets about birthplace rumours
Bromsgrove Advertiser, 3 January 2014 link
A RUMOUR that sparked interest among Bromsgrove residents and dedicated One Direction fans has been answered by the star's father. In December, the Bromsgrove Advertiser reported on speculation that Harry Styles, from the internationally successful group, was born in the town. The rumour had been started by several references to the singer's birth being registered at Bromsgrove Registry Office, in February 1994, which had been listed on several websites and discussed on social networks.

Attempts to clarify the matter, including contacting Harry directly and through his agents, all proved unsuccessful. But after reading the Advertiser's story Harry's dad, Des, took to Twitter to clarify his son was in fact born at the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch. [...] Des also moved to clarify why other websites, including Wikipedia, stated the 19-year-old's birthplace as Evesham - pointing out this was where he and Harry's mum, Anne Cox, lived at the time of his birth. Harry's birthplace was further confused as being Holmes Chapel, in Cheshire - because this was where the Styles family later moved to.
Harry_Styles (T-H-L)
Styles was born in Evesham, Worcestershire [1] [...]
Not.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:35 am

What All The Fancy Code In Movie Computer Sequences Actually Mean
Gizmodo Australia, 5 January 2014 link

Hey look, it’s an actor looking at some computer code in a movie. He must be really smart! He must be a computer hacker! He must be able to take over the world with just his keyboard! Not quite. The code used in movies is usually nothing but some mumbo jumbo on WordPress or Wikipedia. No, seriously. That image above showing The Doctor looking at code is a SVG file of a light wave taken from Wikipedia. It’s great. John Graham-Cumming is collecting screen shots of computer code from movies and TV shows on the tumblr Movie Code and explaining what the actors are really looking at. Just because it’s filled with symbols and indentations doesn’t mean it’s that technical (even if code is always technical). [...]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:32 am

Our View: Keeping history alive
Standard Examiner, 2 January 2014 link
In what may be a first for a small city, there is a digital effort to preserve the history of Brigham City and Box Elder County. The organizers have set up a web page on Wikipedia, at http://www.brighamcityhistory.org/wiki. The Wikipedia will allow digital organizing and cataloging of the history that has been preserved. With it, the many historical treasures that may one day be at risk of dissolving can be kept alive for the next 150 years.
Except that is not a Wikipedia page; and except also that, to date, the only history that has been conserved is this:
There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.
former Living Person

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:11 pm

A pearl by A fluffernutter is a sandwich!
for many administrators is that while Trongphu is exactly right when he says blocks are preventative rather than for punishment, he's also exactly right when he says blocks are preventative rather than for punishment.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Volvo cars get cloud-connected and Wikipedia-enabled
CES 2014 Sensus Connect mutimedia system packs streaming music, online parking and even Wikipedia
TechRadar UK, 7 January 2014 link
Volvo is taking the fight to the Germans with a new cloud-connected multimedia system complete with music stream, online apps and Wikipedia integrated into the navigation. No doubt the hope is that Sensus Connect willgive Volvo a digital drivestyle edge over the premium competition, including Audi, BMW and Mercedes. [...] Volvo says highlights for users will include tens of thousands of radio stations and the ability to not only set destinations through their mobile device and receive information about their surroundings through Wikipedia, but which also lets them find and pay for parking at their destination.
Volvo Sensus: The wonders of in-car Wikipedia

Volvo engineers analyzing the effect of a poorly-sourced Wikipedia article
Last edited by Zoloft on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed year
former Living Person