Wikipedia's most memorable personal attacks

Captain Occam
Gregarious
kołdry

Wikipedia's most memorable personal attacks

Unread post by Captain Occam » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 am

As a way of documenting how the WP:CIVIL policy is ignored about as often as it's followed, I think it would be useful to have a thread where we list some of the most extreme, offensive, and/or creative personal attacks we've seen editors engage in at Wikipedia. Bonus points if there were no consequences for the editors who made them.

As I mentioned once before, I consider one of the most memorable examples I've seen to be this comment from Orangemarlin (T-C-L):
You are not my type, in that I prefer beautiful women with IQ's in the triple digits, not a sex-obsessed little twerp with an IQ that is exceeded by my nutsack. Wait, my nutsack said that it was insult to compare it to you.
Yesterday I noticed this comment from Honkeytonknightmare (T-C-L), a sockpuppet of Allthekidsinthestreet (T-C-L), who's the latest sockmaster on Wikipedia's race articles:
[[User:Dougweller]] liar for Jesus even ashamed about his religion. Liberal guilt complex well deserved. But you still don't fancy niggers do you? Still like to feel superior to someone. Fucking gutless prick. Don't worry I'm not sad. I ain't even mad. I'll be back. When I'm not back, you'll know I've moved to China.
What other especially memorable personal attacks have people seen?

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Re: Wikipedia's most memorable personal attacks

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Captain Occam wrote:As a way of documenting how the WP:CIVIL policy is ignored about as often as it's followed, I think it would be useful to have a thread where we list some of the most extreme, offensive, and/or creative personal attacks we've seen editors engage in at Wikipedia. Bonus points if there were no consequences for the editors who made them.
Administrative participant and drama board regular "Beyond My Ken" told an editor recently "You're a total, loser, pure and simple, and you've sullied my clean and empty talk page. I pity vi.wiki if you are one of those in charge. I think I'll have to reconsider Eric Corbett's position about shutting down the lesser Wikipedias." (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =589261932.) Quite some arrogance and incredibly ethnocentric to characterize Vietnamese Wikipedia as "lesser."

That fine arbitrator Beeblebrox, embodiment of Wikipedia's refined and loftiest administrative culture, told a common editor "FUCK OFF YOU PETTY FASCIST IDIOT" (caps from original) but Risker erased that one from the record, so as not to damage Beebs' prospects as he sought more powers and Arbcom candidacy.

Administrator Bwilkins infamously gloated on some poor blocked editor's talkpage "may you rot in the hell that is eternal block," but I guess that's more a curse than a personal attack. Ah you know about that one Captain Occam (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =566080466).

I suppose it must be pretty easy to find an outrageous insult by a momentary editor who is quickly blocked. The remarkable ones are by the habitual and long-time editors who drop insults and walk away without warning or punishment.

EDIT: Looking at it again, Bwilkins actually says to Shadowcrow "fuck you" "and may you rot in the hell that is eternal block." So even worse than first appeared. I don't know how long the block persisted but Shadowcrow is editing again now. So it didn't turn out to be eternal.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Ha! You can drop the most gross insults on them. So long as you don't signal the attack with foul language, or garden variety insults, the true level of venom that is being dispensed is often missed.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Seth, you're an idiot.
(Jimmy Wales, to Seth Finkelstein)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Last year Beeblebrox was blocked because the blocking admin believed the account was hacked. Bwilkins explained the block at AN
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =534389017
user Beeblebrox and his talkpage are on my watchlist. Having viewed the most recent series of edits to his talkpage, including the final one with the edit summary "FUCK OFF YOU PETTY FASCIST IDIOT", I have blocked Beeblebrox indefinitely as a possibly compromised account. This spate of behaviours does not appear to be consistent with Beeb's usual behaviour. Does anyone think we need an emergency desysop?

Of course as soon as the Wikipedia Community made sure that the account was not hacked, Beeblebrox was unblocked, and later as we know he was elected to the arbcom.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Absolutely no foul language here, but memorable in its own way. What is the person actually trying to say here?
For those who weren't around, if you happen to be familiar with the Lord of the Rings, it may help you get the picture if I say that Peter Damian is our version of Saruman -- intelligent and erudite, but not to be listened to at peril of your soul. Looie496 (talk) 19:23, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
And there were no consequences.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I think we should just collapse the thread and link to ANI.