The Rambling Man and Boy Wonder

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Woden.Ragnarok

Re: The Rambling Man and Boy Wonder

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Vigilant wrote:Frankly, anyone from wikipedia watching dear Luke and Demiurge's performance at AN should quickly come to the conclusion that KW was spot on with his comment.

Poor Luke, another branch into the chipper.

Given that one of Luke's other online nyms is "bluenoseandproud", I thought it relevant, as an American, to try to ascertain what a blue nose is.

Wikipedia has a sailboat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluenose
That doesn't seem right.

Webster's was somewhat more illuminating.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bluenose
Examples of BLUENOSE
<the editorial lambasts those bluenoses who feel they have the moral authority to dictate how other people should conduct themselves in private>

Synonyms
prude, moralist, Mrs. Grundy, nice nelly, puritan, wowser
Apropos, no?
In general parlance Bluenose often refers to Supporters of Rangers Football Club.

A C.O. from Edinburgh I once served with took pride in referring to himself as a "Bluenose biggoted bastard" though it mostly applies to protestants from the west coast of Scotland
-- Woden "A wise king never seeks out war, but he must always be ready for it." Ragnarok

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:28 am

Triptych wrote:I expect Eric to do whatever Eric wants to do. I think I find all of them objectionable but allow me to briefly examine the first one I clicked on: Akuri.

Picking up the request for block review, Dennis denies, takes the extreme step of cutting off talkpage access and email, on the basis "you are a sockpuppet of someone." Dennis is unable to articulate his reasoning beyond "it's blindingly obvious" from Akuri's edits, but points to his use of open proxies. Above, on the page, Akuri's use of open proxies is stated to be because Timotheus Canens blocked a range of 17,000 IPs, because of a sockmaster in the range who must not be named, chimes in Salvio Guiliano, because it would publicly connect the sockmaster's account to the IP. So how does saying "Akuri you are using the IP range of [name of sockmaster]" connect either to an IP? And before I forget, why was Akuri checkusered, or is Salvio saying that Akuri popped up in a checkuser of the sockmaster? I don't know the answer to these and all the other questions, and neither does Dennis Brown. But where I would say "gee, I don't really know," Dennis Brown chooses the alternate phrasings "blindingly obvious" and "crystal clear" and wipes out Akuri. This I find objectionable.
Salvio didn't do anything untoward there as he is just trying to comply with the privacy restrictions on checkusers. If you look at the section above the first unblock request you will see the initial CU check was apparently done by NuclearWarfare and Salvio just did a second check. As far as Dennis goes, my impression of him is that he is generally nice and level-headed most of the time. However, when he feels someone has done wrong he tends to be deeply patronizing and pompous. That is sort of the same way I see Brad as they both are admired for being nice guys, but have the same tendency to use kind words towards "bad" editors that only make them feel like shit.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:50 am

Triptych wrote:Picking up the request for block review, Dennis denies, takes the extreme step of cutting off talkpage access and email, on the basis "you are a sockpuppet of someone." Dennis is unable to articulate his reasoning beyond "it's blindingly obvious" from Akuri's edits, but points to his use of open proxies. Above, on the page, Akuri's use of open proxies is stated to be because Timotheus Canens blocked a range of 17,000 IPs, because of a sockmaster in the range who must not be named, chimes in Salvio Guiliano, because it would publicly connect the sockmaster's account to the IP. So how does saying "Akuri you are using the IP range of [name of sockmaster]" connect either to an IP? And before I forget, why was Akuri checkusered, or is Salvio saying that Akuri popped up in a checkuser of the sockmaster? I don't know the answer to these and all the other questions, and neither does Dennis Brown. But where I would say "gee, I don't really know," Dennis Brown chooses the alternate phrasings "blindingly obvious" and "crystal clear" and wipes out Akuri. This I find objectionable.
Which is interesting, because Akuri had been in quite an ugly dispute with Mathsci.
You and Captain Occam ought to compare notes.