The Rambling Man and Boy Wonder

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

The Rambling Man and Boy Wonder

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

EricBarbour wrote: because several of them (... Rambling Man, ... etc.) are longtime and notorious editwarriors.
Before today, I'd thought that The Rambling Man (T-C-L) was helpful.

Today The Rambling Man has been hypomanic at an RfA and his talk page Has he had episodes like these before?

Lukeno94 (T-C-L) seems like a dumber version of The Rambling Man, who has been repeating himself at the Wikipediocracy AfDs/DRV/etc. and at the RfA and TRM talk-pages (linked above).
Last edited by Kiefer.Wolfowitz on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Cirt starts WikiProject Freedom of Speech

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Wikipedia is being over-run with teenagers that should be studying or flipping burgers.*Kiefer*.Wolfowitz 12:06 pm, Today (UTC−7)
I blame Wikipediocracy for such beliefs. Where is Prioryman when you need him? :irony:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Re: Cirt starts WikiProject Freedom of Speech

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 am

Demiurge1000 has spotted a young man to take the place of gwickwire
Just for info, there's already been one, Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-H-L). The close did mention disruption at RfA, particularly in the context of "opinion of young editors", and also a need to be "a little more respectful to those around him".

So this would either be a second RFC/U (which is entirely permissible, of course), an arbcom case, or a discussion at WP:AN (T-H-L) requesting some sort of formal restrictions on his behaviour at RfA. Read the first RFC/U to see the kind of reaction there might be from some editors to any such proposals. --Demiurge1000 (T-C-L) 04:04, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

You might ask Gwickwire or other young men who have followed Demiurge1000's advice about their experiences. Please insist that email be sent through the user interface, so that it can be monitored by the Wikimedia Foundation. Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)</span></small> 06:11, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Demiurge1000 was attracted by the musings of Beavis and Butthead:
User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz rambling on
Yes, and one day you'll learn that patronising people and insulting their ability to write will haunt you all the way to Hades. The Rambling Man (T-C-L) 17:04, 2 June 2013 (UTC)
*Can we look into a RFC/U or something against this user? In the past, I'd just dismissed their actions of those of an eccentric: now I think they're here just to be disruptive. Lukeno94 (T-C-L) 21:03, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

It's interesting, someone else has contacted me about the legitimacy of the Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L) account, citing several "coincidental" editing techniques. I'm not bothered; I just think KW is trolling around for kicks and we're all being sucked in by his bizarre approach. Having said that, I won't be engaging with KW again, it's clear he's just making a WP:POINT (T-H-L) that has no basis in reality. The Rambling Man (T-C-L) 21:10, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

::*I've no idea if they're related to anyone else; but your latter couple of sentences are precisely why I'm thinking about this. That said, it'll go around and around in circles and end up with a complete farce - oh wait, that's what's happening already! *headdesk* Lukeno94 (T-C-L) 21:18, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

::*:Why don't you kids plan your toilet papering (T-H-L) by email? Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L) 21:27, 2 June 2013 (UTC)
A pawn to be thrown away? Or another boy to be groomed until he gets banned and has ripened vulnerability?

Lukeno94 repeats "farce" like Billy Idol repeated "White Wedding". Does he have aphasia and OCD?
P.S. Perhaps a moderator could spin off a topic on The Rambling Man and the boy wonder? Thanks!
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Re: The Rambling Man and Boy Wonder

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Fram (like Fetchcomms before him) has proposed an interaction ban between myself, Demiurge1000, and GiantSnowman.

Fram does seem either to have been underestimated by me or to have responded exceptionally well to criticism.

Signs and wonders
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Fram (like Fetchcomms before him) has proposed an interaction ban between myself, Demiurge1000, and GiantSnowman.

Fram does seem either to have been underestimated by me or to have responded exceptionally well to criticism.

Signs and wonders
KW, your response to WTT here is a masterpiece:
*KW, I would support the interaction ban, but I believe that it would do little good if either of you have retain fora to carry on commenting on the other. Would you be amenable to not commenting on [[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge]] off wiki either? [[User:Worm That Turned|<span style='text-shadow:0 -1px #DDD,1px 0 #DDD,0 1px #DDD,-1px 0 #DDD; color:#000;'>'''''Worm'''''</span>]]<sup>TT</sup>([[User Talk:Worm That Turned|<font color='#060'>talk</font>]]) 13:58, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

*:I am glad that you support an interaction ban. I share your concern about any misuse of Wikipedia's IRC. <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 14:10, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Hey Kiefer,

If you have to take the pledge, I'll keep mentioning Demiurge1000 here for you.

Come on, Worm.
You know the Demiuge1000 is the turd in the punchbowl.
How about you guys drop a hammer on his toe and let him know that it's not going to be put up with.
Demi needs a 6 month IRC vacation.
Its funny that WP brass think that WO is toxic, yet you guys never deal with the utter cesspool that is IRC.

Hypocrisy much?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:45 pm

My only thought on this thread is that it would be useful to have a post/thread on the number of arbitrators/administrators who rose to their positions of power as teenagers.

This may sound a little crazy, but there's also a lot of insiders who are fully adults now, but started when they were 15-16 whatever. I've long toyed with the thought that their deep involvement with and adaptation to Wikipedia's culture in their formative years did something to them (though haven't been able to really put my finger on it and, yes, it sounds crazy).

It comes to mind because that Luke account is clearly a puffed up, shrieking teenager who started on Wikipedia when he was about 17. The notion of engaging in "debate" with such is profoundly distasteful to many adults.

Writ Keeper
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Writ Keeper

Unread post by Writ Keeper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:Its funny that WP brass think that WO is toxic, yet you guys never deal with the utter cesspool that is IRC.
It is funny; I had a conversation once with someone (on IRC, appropriately enough) who wasn't a fan of Wikipediocracy; they complained that, among other things, WO members with advanced permissions on Wikipedia use them at other WO members' request. I asked them what the difference was between that and the use of the !admin, !checkuser, !oversight, etc. stalk words on IRC; I guess the parallel didn't occur to them.

Also: hey, what's up, Wikipediocracy?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:56 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
This may sound a little crazy, but there's also a lot of insiders who are fully adults now, but started when they were 15-16 whatever. I've long toyed with the thought that their deep involvement with and adaptation to Wikipedia's culture in their formative years did something to them (though haven't been able to really put my finger on it and, yes, it sounds crazy).
I completely agree that the twenty-somethings that comprise the bulk of the Administrative caste cut their teeth on WP as teenagers. I don't really think this is surprising, however, or even necessarily problematic. The level of administrative abuse is actually quite low, all things considered. I think there are probably some bad actors among New Page Patrollers and definitely a couple who go beyond the bounds of policy on matters of suspected or confirmed Conflict of Interest, but I don't think that most administrators have been tweaked by playing a Wikipedia Video Game rather than Grand Theft Auto or World of Warcraft during their formative years.

There's nothing that continued scrutiny can't fix.

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Writ Keeper wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Its funny that WP brass think that WO is toxic, yet you guys never deal with the utter cesspool that is IRC.
It is funny; I had a conversation once with someone (on IRC, appropriately enough) who wasn't a fan of Wikipediocracy; they complained that, among other things, WO members with advanced permissions on Wikipedia use them at other WO members' request. I asked them what the difference was between that and the use of the !admin, !checkuser, !oversight, etc. stalk words on IRC; I guess the parallel didn't occur to them.

Hey, welcome, Writ Keeper!

RfB

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:59 pm

DanMurphy wrote:It comes to mind because that Luke account is clearly a puffed up, shrieking teenager who started on Wikipedia when he was about 17. The notion of engaging in "debate" with such is profoundly distasteful to many adults.
That's my impression as well.
Writ Keeper wrote:

Welcome.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Sweet Revenge wrote: KW, your response to WTT here is a masterpiece:
*KW, I would support the interaction ban, but I believe that it would do little good if either of you have retain fora to carry on commenting on the other. Would you be amenable to not commenting on [[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge]] off wiki either? [[User:Worm That Turned|<span style='text-shadow:0 -1px #DDD,1px 0 #DDD,0 1px #DDD,-1px 0 #DDD; color:#000;'>'''''Worm'''''</span>]]<sup>TT</sup>([[User Talk:Worm That Turned|<font color='#060'>talk</font>]]) 13:58, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

*:I am glad that you support an interaction ban. I share your concern about any misuse of Wikipedia's IRC. <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 14:10, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
It would be wrong to agree to a gag order unless
(1) Demiurge1000 first addresses why he was IMing a boy, in the first place, especially after the boy "had learned [his] lesson" and didn't accept Demiurge1000's IMs any more.
(2) WMF examines emails by Demiurge1000, and takes appropriate action.
(3) Demiurge1000 agrees not to contact underage editors off Wiki, just to avoid the appearance of risk.

Link to original discussion, quoted hereafter
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
Woden.Ragnarok wrote:More Young editors at Sam wiki http://samwiki.wikkii.com/wiki/User_talk:Demiurge1000
Where he seems to be making edits on behalf of banned user Hurricanefan24 (T-C-L) but then that whole wiki seems to be a gathering place for banned young editors an ideal place for Demi to make friends.
Lovely

I meant your edits, dummy. Phazon Suit Samus 13:12, 1 July 2011 (MIST)

Oh hi Loudclaw, how are you? Demiurge1000 15:27, 1 July 2011 (MIST)

Awful. Phazon Suit Samus 12:15, 14 July 2011 (EST)

Whyyyyyyyyyyy? Demiurge1000 12:20, 14 July 2011 (EST)

Summer sucks. Tell me about Outer Space in a Sub Page. Make them in the same way as you so in Simple. Phazon Suit Samus 10:19, 16 July 2011 (EST)

You tried to IM me, didn't you? I've learned my lesson. I don't IM you anymore. Dark Suit Samus 13:41, 20 October 2011 (EST)
Dark Suit Samus's father must be thrilled to have his son getting IMs from Demiurge1000.
There's just too much weirdness with young editors. Demiurge1000 should just close his Wikipedia account and stick to writing snide remarks at Ann Coulter.com
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:
I completely agree that the twenty-somethings that comprise the bulk of the Administrative caste cut their teeth on WP as teenagers. I don't really think this is surprising, however, or even necessarily problematic. The level of administrative abuse is actually quite low, all things considered. I think there are probably some bad actors among New Page Patrollers and definitely a couple who go beyond the bounds of policy on matters of suspected or confirmed Conflict of Interest, but I don't think that most administrators have been tweaked by playing a Wikipedia Video Game rather than Grand Theft Auto or World of Warcraft during their formative years.

There's nothing that continued scrutiny can't fix.

RfB
How much of the "abuse by admin" goes along these lines?

* Two people having a disagreement on an article talk page
* A couple of WP chavs have a convo on IRC about it
* Admin shows up, out of the blue, and warns the non-IRC guy about disruption and how it might get them a block

Until scrutiny is of the form, all higher privileged accounts must edit using real names , then it's merely hand waving.

You don't want to use your real name?
Don't become an admin.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Now I'm indefinitely blocked.

From WP:AN
:So far, only WTT has raised a concern about an interaction ban between Demiurge1000 and myself, and he supports a ban. Is there consensus for a standard interaction ban between Demiurge1000 and myself? <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 16:03, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::Patience! The discussion should stay open for at least 24 hours and have some more participants (e.g. giving Demiurge a chance to respond may be a good idea). [[User:Fram|Fram]] ([[User talk:Fram|talk]]) 16:11, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:::Thank you, most kind! I do understand the annoyance you may feel here; you block one disputant having previously blocked the other, another admin unblocks them without discussing it with you, that disputant then repeats the problematic behaviour, the other disputant then comes to your talk page moaning about it, and so on and so on. Having said that, though, if you do choose to get involved in "policing" particular people (as GS puts it), you shouldn't be too put out when the people being policed keep turning up at your police station's front desk questioning one thing or another. And, more to the point, if Dennis ''had not'' overturned your 6th May block without discussing it with you, then the disruption at the RfA would not have happened, nor would KW's comments aimed at The Rambling Man and Luke, nor would my informing Luke of the existence of the earlier RfC/U, nor would KW's questionable comments after that. So, you ask, "how do you propose we defuse or avoid a problematic situation", the answer is that you had it right the first time, and you were over-ruled! --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 19:51, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::::I think we established below that the issue was GiantSnowman's choice of words and he has admitted as much, not KW's participation. Even if someone didn't like his !vote, it should have just been overlooked. To assign all the drama of the last few days with my unblocking of KW some time back stretched credulity to the breaking point. I forgot to add, I do believe that I unblocked '''you''' once after Fram blocked you, but you didn't complain about an early unblock there. ;-) [[User:Dennis Brown|<b>Dennis Brown</b>]] / [[User talk:Dennis Brown|2¢]] / [[Special:Contributions/Dennis_Brown|©]] / [[Special:EmailUser/Dennis Brown|@]] 20:12, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:::::The block was set to run until a couple of days from now, I think. If you had not overturned it, the comment would not have been made, and, more to the point, the following problematic behaviour would not have happened either. We're here because you overturned the block in the belief that the behaviour would not repeat; you were wrong. You may feel the !vote should have been overlooked, but others don't agree; it's not at all unreasonable for other editors to reply to a comment that belittles the efforts of an editor just because of their choice of topic area. (This sort of attitude was mentioned right back in 2011 at the RFC/U - KW agreed to try to fix it - has he?) Yes, GS did not make that reply in the right manner, and has apologised for it; but he was certainly not the only one to share that concern. --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 20:33, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

'''Oppose'''. The evidence presented is utterly inadequate to justify imposing an involuntary interaction ban. My comment to Luke was to inform him of the existence of an earlier RFC/U, after he had asked TRM about proposing one; I mentioned parts of the close of that RFC/U (worked out with great care by an independent administrator acceptable to all parties) about issues similar to those that concerned him; informed him of available options; and cautioned him to be aware of the sorts of responses that any of those options might receive from some other editors. This was not in the least combative. (KW's replies, by contrast; [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =558092978] [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =558075063]). Fram's other links are to (1) the RFC/U which Worm and I prepared in 2011, which was widely agreed to have been helpful in highlighting at least some issues that KW needed to address; and (2) KW's arbcom evidence where he attacked Worm, me, DGG, Elen of the Roads, and Scottywong (if any of those other editors react unwisely to an unusual RfA comment from KW in the future, will they be subject to interaction ban proposals too?).

Neither of the other incidents listed, including the RfA madness which Stfg rightly describes as "grotesque" and which is the background to this whole incident, had ''anything to do with me'' - I did not comment at either. It's all very well (and indeed true) to theorise that if person X and person Y were blind to each other's existence then there would be less drama, but forcing an interaction ban down the throat of one of them, without any evidence of that person being responsible for disruption (I've never been blocked in any dispute I've had with KW, nor even close I believe), is more likely to ''cause'' drama than prevent it. As Stfg says, interaction bans rarely work very well. Leaping to an involuntary one, for the sake of perceived convenience, without evidence justifying it, would be very unwise.

I also '''Oppose''' the suggested interaction ban between KW and GS. Plenty of other administrators have been described as "dishonest" or "abusive" or similar by KW, and as GS points out, some of them have had confrontations with him more than once. (The Rambling Man is a rather recent addition as far as I can remember, so may not fit in that category.) Why pick on GS? (One over-reaction for which he has apologised, and perhaps a mistaken comment somewhere in the distant past?) Is there a possibility that perhaps it's not all the targets of KW's ire that are at fault, but someone else? --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 19:51, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:Demiurge1000 has a history or recruiting inexperienced young men or boys to serve as his footsoldiers in his manipulative games. Consider his involvement with Worm That Turned, gwickwire, and now Lukeno94, or his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia, e.g. on Wikipedia's IRC. Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men? <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 20:39, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::Sorry, is this some kind of accusation of [[Child grooming|grooming]] Wikipedia editors? "his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia".... This needs serious intervention now, as KW's wild accusations have crossed the line. [[User:The Rambling Man|The Rambling Man]] ([[User talk:The Rambling Man|talk]]) 20:43, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::That is a horrendous accusation and needs to be oversighted. [[User:Darkness Shines|Darkness Shines]] ([[User talk:Darkness Shines|talk]]) 20:46, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:::It's worse than horrendous, KW should be blocked for accusations of this nature. [[User:The Rambling Man|The Rambling Man]] ([[User talk:The Rambling Man|talk]]) 20:48, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::::Demiurge1000 did egg on those editors, didn't he? How did it work out for them? <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 20:50, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Now I'm indefinitely blocked.

From WP:AN
:So far, only WTT has raised a concern about an interaction ban between Demiurge1000 and myself, and he supports a ban. Is there consensus for a standard interaction ban between Demiurge1000 and myself? <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 16:03, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::Patience! The discussion should stay open for at least 24 hours and have some more participants (e.g. giving Demiurge a chance to respond may be a good idea). [[User:Fram|Fram]] ([[User talk:Fram|talk]]) 16:11, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:::Thank you, most kind! I do understand the annoyance you may feel here; you block one disputant having previously blocked the other, another admin unblocks them without discussing it with you, that disputant then repeats the problematic behaviour, the other disputant then comes to your talk page moaning about it, and so on and so on. Having said that, though, if you do choose to get involved in "policing" particular people (as GS puts it), you shouldn't be too put out when the people being policed keep turning up at your police station's front desk questioning one thing or another. And, more to the point, if Dennis ''had not'' overturned your 6th May block without discussing it with you, then the disruption at the RfA would not have happened, nor would KW's comments aimed at The Rambling Man and Luke, nor would my informing Luke of the existence of the earlier RfC/U, nor would KW's questionable comments after that. So, you ask, "how do you propose we defuse or avoid a problematic situation", the answer is that you had it right the first time, and you were over-ruled! --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 19:51, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::::I think we established below that the issue was GiantSnowman's choice of words and he has admitted as much, not KW's participation. Even if someone didn't like his !vote, it should have just been overlooked. To assign all the drama of the last few days with my unblocking of KW some time back stretched credulity to the breaking point. I forgot to add, I do believe that I unblocked '''you''' once after Fram blocked you, but you didn't complain about an early unblock there. ;-) [[User:Dennis Brown|<b>Dennis Brown</b>]] / [[User talk:Dennis Brown|2¢]] / [[Special:Contributions/Dennis_Brown|©]] / [[Special:EmailUser/Dennis Brown|@]] 20:12, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:::::The block was set to run until a couple of days from now, I think. If you had not overturned it, the comment would not have been made, and, more to the point, the following problematic behaviour would not have happened either. We're here because you overturned the block in the belief that the behaviour would not repeat; you were wrong. You may feel the !vote should have been overlooked, but others don't agree; it's not at all unreasonable for other editors to reply to a comment that belittles the efforts of an editor just because of their choice of topic area. (This sort of attitude was mentioned right back in 2011 at the RFC/U - KW agreed to try to fix it - has he?) Yes, GS did not make that reply in the right manner, and has apologised for it; but he was certainly not the only one to share that concern. --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 20:33, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

'''Oppose'''. The evidence presented is utterly inadequate to justify imposing an involuntary interaction ban. My comment to Luke was to inform him of the existence of an earlier RFC/U, after he had asked TRM about proposing one; I mentioned parts of the close of that RFC/U (worked out with great care by an independent administrator acceptable to all parties) about issues similar to those that concerned him; informed him of available options; and cautioned him to be aware of the sorts of responses that any of those options might receive from some other editors. This was not in the least combative. (KW's replies, by contrast; [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =558092978] [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =558075063]). Fram's other links are to (1) the RFC/U which Worm and I prepared in 2011, which was widely agreed to have been helpful in highlighting at least some issues that KW needed to address; and (2) KW's arbcom evidence where he attacked Worm, me, DGG, Elen of the Roads, and Scottywong (if any of those other editors react unwisely to an unusual RfA comment from KW in the future, will they be subject to interaction ban proposals too?).

Neither of the other incidents listed, including the RfA madness which Stfg rightly describes as "grotesque" and which is the background to this whole incident, had ''anything to do with me'' - I did not comment at either. It's all very well (and indeed true) to theorise that if person X and person Y were blind to each other's existence then there would be less drama, but forcing an interaction ban down the throat of one of them, without any evidence of that person being responsible for disruption (I've never been blocked in any dispute I've had with KW, nor even close I believe), is more likely to ''cause'' drama than prevent it. As Stfg says, interaction bans rarely work very well. Leaping to an involuntary one, for the sake of perceived convenience, without evidence justifying it, would be very unwise.

I also '''Oppose''' the suggested interaction ban between KW and GS. Plenty of other administrators have been described as "dishonest" or "abusive" or similar by KW, and as GS points out, some of them have had confrontations with him more than once. (The Rambling Man is a rather recent addition as far as I can remember, so may not fit in that category.) Why pick on GS? (One over-reaction for which he has apologised, and perhaps a mistaken comment somewhere in the distant past?) Is there a possibility that perhaps it's not all the targets of KW's ire that are at fault, but someone else? --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 19:51, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:Demiurge1000 has a history or recruiting inexperienced young men or boys to serve as his footsoldiers in his manipulative games. Consider his involvement with Worm That Turned, gwickwire, and now Lukeno94, or his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia, e.g. on Wikipedia's IRC. Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men? <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 20:39, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::Sorry, is this some kind of accusation of [[Child grooming|grooming]] Wikipedia editors? "his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia".... This needs serious intervention now, as KW's wild accusations have crossed the line. [[User:The Rambling Man|The Rambling Man]] ([[User talk:The Rambling Man|talk]]) 20:43, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::That is a horrendous accusation and needs to be oversighted. [[User:Darkness Shines|Darkness Shines]] ([[User talk:Darkness Shines|talk]]) 20:46, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

:::It's worse than horrendous, KW should be blocked for accusations of this nature. [[User:The Rambling Man|The Rambling Man]] ([[User talk:The Rambling Man|talk]]) 20:48, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

::::Demiurge1000 did egg on those editors, didn't he? How did it work out for them? <small><span style="border:1px solid black;padding:1px;">[[User:Kiefer.Wolfowitz|<font style="color:blue;background:yellow;">'''Kiefer'''</font>]][[User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#top|<font style="color:blue;">.Wolfowitz</font>]]</span></small> 20:50, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Well, a not unfair reading of what you wrote is a suggestion that the guy is a pedophile... was that your intent? (I thought it was just that he was identifying minds most easy to manipulate to play the world of wiki warcraft).

Given the way that place works, the moment Demiurge and his buddies saw that they were probably screaming "Yahtzee!" at their computer screens.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 pm

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm

DanMurphy wrote: Well, a not unfair reading of what you wrote is a suggestion that the guy is a pedophile... was that your intent? (I thought it was just that he was identifying minds most easy to manipulate to play the world of wiki warcraft).

Given the way that place works, the moment Demiurge and his buddies saw that they were probably screaming "Yahtzee!" at their computer screens.
Don't think it reads that way at all. Its just that we are so used to the place being a perverts recruitment ground. What he said was that they were being recruited as footsoldiers in demijohn's manipulative games, not so that he could bone them up the arse.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Actually, I think that's rather well played.

The line that started this round of fun.
Demiurge1000 has a history or recruiting inexperienced young men or boys to serve as his footsoldiers in his manipulative games. Consider his involvement with Worm That Turned, gwickwire, and now Lukeno94, or his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia, e.g. on Wikipedia's IRC. Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men? Kiefer.Wolfowitz 20:39, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
There's some faux outage from DarknessShines and TheRamblingMan (is SilverSeren far?), but the sexual innuendo is all in their pointy heads.

The obvious rejoinder is Military_use_of_children (T-H-L)

Which, in my mind, is a more serious accusation.
The problem for DemiWit(loving the snark KW) is that the allegations are basically on target.

Go through the IRC logs and look at who DemiWit is talking with.
Look who shows up at the articles DemiWit is involved with.
Look for the corpses at AN/I.
Profit!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 pm

No is the new yes.
What the actual fuck did I just read? Apart from the sheer idiocy of Kiefer assuming that I am in any way affiliated with Demiurge (I am not, and never have been), and the fact I've used the IRC here about 3 times, all when the servers are down, that has to be one of the most disgraceful accusations I've ever seen, regardless of any sexual nature (or lack of) in the comment. Kiefer should be blocked, and blocked for a while, for that comment. Lukeno94 (tell Luke off here) 20:58, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Go get 'em TailGunner Joe.
Quite. Anyone that empathises with KW's grooming comments needs close inspection. The Rambling Man (talk) 21:02, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Maybe not this particular boy...
I will note here that Luke has never attempted to contact me in any way ; and my only contact with Luke has been my one post currently visible on his talk page, the purpose of which I describe in detail above. --Demiurge1000 (talk) 21:12, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Tell me how this is vastly different than IRC
I'm also going to note that Lilburne is here after KW canvassed multiple times at an off-wiki forum (including, now, complaining about being indefinitely blocked there), where KW did indeed use the g word, and where he also had some more-than-unpleasant comments to make about Luke. --Demiurge1000 (talk) 21:12, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Ruh roh.
KW blocked by Horologium

Right up there with getting butthurt about someone saying 'niggardly'.

There's a cavalcade o' kookery here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... KW_blocked
KW blocked

I have indefinitely blocked KW for this edit, which goes far beyond the bounds of acceptability, and really should be oversighted, or at least revdel'd (the edit summary is also a personal attack). Indefinite does not mean infinite, and I am not averse to the block being reduced in time (in fact, I will support a fixed length of time, once community consensus arrives at an appropriate length. This entire discussion has been acrimonious, but that is so heinous that someone who is not involved needed to step in. Horologium (talk) 21:00, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

* Good block. How many times do we have to play his game before we and/or he figures it out. Go Phightins! 21:04, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
* Idiotic. But not surprising. Intothatdarkness 21:07, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
* Good block. Kiefer's repeated ridicule of younger people has grown tiresome. AutomaticStrikeout ? 21:09, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
* Looks like a good block to me and that should be over-sighted immediately as it looks to be an attempt to out the other user based on unverifiable opinion or some such ridiculousness. Technical 13 (talk) 21:16, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
My favorite dingleball in bold

And the original comment oversighted.
21:18, 3 June 2013 King of Hearts (talk | contribs) changed visibility of a revision on page Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard: content hidden and edit summary hidden (RD2: Grossly insulting, degrading, or offensive material)
With the circling of the wagons, they're now in a tough spot.
* They've misunderstood what was written, either maliciously or stupidly, doesn't really matter.
* They've gotten a bunch of people involved at AN (a fairly prominent place).
* Their position is easily refutable.

Conclusion: They're try to bull ahead and keep KW indef'd without a real reason and, certainly, without a hearing of the facts.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:32 pm

I believe they've "willfully" misconstrued, which was kind of my point in my last comment here. It was highly predictable that hit points would be amassed this way (doesn't make it right) but there you go. It is, after all, a place run by game-players and easily manipulated dopes and children. Weirdos that enjoy playing that game are well-advised to cultivate the less mature on IRC etc... for precisely this purpose.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Some funny stuff.
From the blocking admin's user page:"My beliefs and biases" section
I have little patience for people who perceive everything from a purely emotional point-of-view. I can be extremely abrupt and abrasive with such people, as I find it very hard to relate to them. I have emotions, but they don't control me.
Given his blocking rationale, he might want to reword that bit.

A bit further. Dear lord.
My Wikipedia philosophy is quite complex, and defies easy categorization. My ideal for a more perfect Wikipedia would be to create many wikis for pop culture topics and transwiki many of the related articles on Wikipedia to them. (Some of these already exist in a fairly substantial format, such as Memory Alpha and Wookiepedia). I see no reason why all 703 episodes of the live-action Star Trek (and 17 of the 22 animated episodes) should have articles on Wikipedia, when Memory Alpha exists. (Before you go hating on me for that, note that I own all 720 episodes on DVD, as well as all but three of the movies.) This does not make me a deletionist, however. I also believe in structurism, and a combination of two opposing philosophies mergism and seperatism; merging in small articles rather than deleting them and seperating large articles rather than deleting content. I also agree with the tenets of exclusionism, although that also leads back to transwikism again.
And more. A teabagger, to boot.
I am more-or-less neolibertarian, in political terms. I support a vigorous and engaged foreign policy, and recognize that there are some issues in which the federal government should be involved. For the most part, however, I believe that government should not interfere in religion, commerce, industry, or personal relationships (or any combinations thereof).
I'm sure you'll get a fair hearing from this admin.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 pm

DanMurphy wrote: Well, a not unfair reading of what you wrote is a suggestion that the guy is a pedophile... was that your intent? (I thought it was just that he was identifying minds most easy to manipulate to play the world of wiki warcraft).

It's bizarre that people think that I was talking about sexual grooming.

WTT was egged on by Demiurge1000 and did not listen to me when I told him that he was inexperienced and did not understand what was happening.

Water under the bridge.... Since then he has tried to do the right thing, which is all that one can ask....
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Vigilant wrote:Some funny stuff.
From the blocking admin's user page:"My beliefs and biases" section
I have little patience for people who perceive everything from a purely emotional point-of-view. I can be extremely abrupt and abrasive with such people, as I find it very hard to relate to them. I have emotions, but they don't control me.
Given his blocking rationale, he might want to reword that bit.

A bit further. Dear lord.
My Wikipedia philosophy is quite complex, and defies easy categorization. My ideal for a more perfect Wikipedia would be to create many wikis for pop culture topics and transwiki many of the related articles on Wikipedia to them. (Some of these already exist in a fairly substantial format, such as Memory Alpha and Wookiepedia). I see no reason why all 703 episodes of the live-action Star Trek (and 17 of the 22 animated episodes) should have articles on Wikipedia, when Memory Alpha exists. (Before you go hating on me for that, note that I own all 720 episodes on DVD, as well as all but three of the movies.) This does not make me a deletionist, however. I also believe in structurism, and a combination of two opposing philosophies mergism and seperatism; merging in small articles rather than deleting them and seperating large articles rather than deleting content. I also agree with the tenets of exclusionism, although that also leads back to transwikism again.
And more. A teabagger, to boot.
I am more-or-less neolibertarian, in political terms. I support a vigorous and engaged foreign policy, and recognize that there are some issues in which the federal government should be involved. For the most part, however, I believe that government should not interfere in religion, commerce, industry, or personal relationships (or any combinations thereof).
I'm sure you'll get a fair hearing from this admin.
Fellow retired navy noncom Randy "respect mah authoritah" Everett named him an "awesome Wikipedian" to boot. I wonder if he's a scout leader like Randy?

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:10 pm

DanMurphy wrote:It comes to mind because that Luke account is clearly a puffed up, shrieking teenager who started on Wikipedia when he was about 17. The notion of engaging in "debate" with such is profoundly distasteful to many adults.
He doesn't look puffed up. Or 18, but I'm not doubting that part.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Moonage Daydream wrote:
He doesn't look puffed up. Or 18, but I'm not doubting that part.
Ah, he was born late in 1994. Among the youngest of the 1994 births. I'm sure he's a good lad and helps his mom around the house and all. Wikipedia is bad for his education and his sense of self. Hopefully, he'll learn that some day. I suppose the grownups who enable this are the ones we should focus on, not the kids who aren't getting guidance.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Shorty, greasy, spot spot.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:28 pm

This is PRECIOUS!
Good block If this were the sole disruptive incident in his career I'd have said this was over the top, and have favored a more limited block, but given the long history of stirring up trouble for trouble's sake, this seems like the right move. Also, the egregious nature of these comments, carefully crafted to be provocative to the point of offensiveness, and yet deliberately containing enough circumlocution to give him some wiggle-room of deniability shows that he knew exactly the kind of effect he was going for in his comments, and that sort of deliberate manipulation isn't something we need at a place where our primary goal should be the building of knowledge. Any contributions lost from Keifer will be more than made up by other people who now won't be driven away from the project by behavior such as this. --Jayron32 22:22, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
How is it that David Gerard, Slim Virgin, Mongo, Tony Sidaway, etc were never blocked under this rationale?
It was never even discussed since they were part of the cabal.

In response to Greybeard's excellent analysis in the other thread, I think wikipedia may have produced the most toxic online community I have ever seen.

Add another sped into the mix
The one that is suppose to protect people's sexual preference. The comment and it's edit summary imply that the user it is directed at is a pedophile or at very least homosexual. I honestly do not care if that user is homosexual or not, but declaring that the user is would fall under 1.Removal of non-public personal information, 2. Removal of potentially libelous information, and 5. Removal of vandalism I would suspect... Wouldn't you agree? Technical 13 (talk) 22:04, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Technical 13 is a 33 year old guy with FOUR kids and a high school diploma.
Obviously someone with good life judgement and needed encyclopedia skills.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Given DarknessShines just got unblocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... uest_again
it's fairly remarkable that they immediately go to the drama boards.

Like a homing rat.

Ho ho ho
From his user page:
Handy admin

For contentious RFC's Ironholds
Could that be the faint whiff of IRC taint drifting our way?

Why does this gaggle at AN remind me of this?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 am

:yak:

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:01 am

1. I'm indefinitely blocked for imaginary crimes by persons who apparently think that a grown man can have inappropriate relations with a boy or young man (minor) only if the relation is sexual. My stated concerns are about emotional manipulation and political recruitment, as shown by Demiurge1000's on-Wiki and Wikipedia-IRC behavior.

2. Off-Wiki behavior

Demiurge1000 was IMing a boy, a former editor at Wikipedia (indefinitely blocked or banned), even after the boy "learned his lesson" and stopped accepting Demiurge1000's IMs. Is this the only case? Does anybody imagine that such contacts with a vulnerable child are appropriate?

Even if non-sexual?

3. The ninnies at AN dropped the discussion of the interaction ban and moves to the block.
Supports of the block typically do not mention the cause of the block but support the block based on political history.

My76Strat probably did not like my comments about the current hypomanic episode of The Rambling Man.

4. Ironholds does not like the suggestion that weirdos may enjoy spending time with children on IRC, and shares his wrath at AN and my talk page. My talk page is locked, without policy warrant, by an administrator citing an essay with no policy warrant.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 am

You really should listen to Malleus......

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 am

Writ Keeper wrote:Also: hey, what's up, Wikipediocracy?
Howdy, and welcome.
Writ Keeper wrote:
Indeed. If anything, it's worse. All the posts here are visible to the world, but who knows what goes on in the murky world of #wikipedia-en if they're not in there? It is a perpetual mystery to me why the basic Wikipedia IRC channels aren't publicly logged. There are a vast number of projects using IRC for communication that publish channel logs on the web, why aren't we one of them?
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:22 am

Before my comment about Demiurge1000's manipulating youngsters to fight his battles, there was consensus for
-an interaction ban (apart from Demiurge's objection) and
-an admission that administrator GiantSnowman behaved badly at RfA.

Now there seems no consensus for a block based on the original rationale, which was based on a misunderstanding by the blocking adminstrator.

Nonetheless the usual suspects are using this block to try topic ban me from RfA, like they banned Malleus (and like Worm That Turned and Demiurge1000 tried to ban me during their RfC/U fiasco)---a misuse of blocking and show of bad faith.

If they want to ban me from RfAs, then they should start an RfC on the question; they should not misuse the bad block for political games.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am

lilburne wrote:
DanMurphy wrote: Well, a not unfair reading of what you wrote is a suggestion that the guy is a pedophile... was that your intent?
Don't think it reads that way at all.
KeiferWolfowitz said "Demiurge1000 has a history or recruiting inexperienced young men or boys to serve as his footsoldiers in his manipulative games. Consider his involvement with Worm That Turned, gwickwire, and now Lukeno94, or his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia, e.g. on Wikipedia's IRC. Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men?"

It's close enough to raise an eyebrow but I also do not see a pedophilia insinuation. I looked at the exchange about instant messaging, didn't know what to make of that. Nothing then.

The accursedly-spelled Horologium block is non-policy as Kiefer says, there is criticism but not personal attack, and should be overturned immediately. As non-policy.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Triptych wrote:
lilburne wrote:
DanMurphy wrote: Well, a not unfair reading of what you wrote is a suggestion that the guy is a pedophile... was that your intent?
KeiferWolfowitz said "Demiurge1000 has a history or recruiting inexperienced young men or boys to serve as his footsoldiers in his manipulative games. Consider his involvement with Worm That Turned, gwickwire, and now Lukeno94, or his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia, e.g. on Wikipedia's IRC. Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men?"

It's close enough to raise an eyebrow but I also do not see a pedophilia insinuation. I looked at the exchange about instant messaging, didn't know what to make of that. Nothing then.

The accursedly-spelled Horologium block is non-policy as Kiefer says, there is criticism but not personal attack, and should be overturned immediately. As non-policy.
One of them had or has something on his talk page asking Demiurge1000 to cease IM'ing him.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Triptych wrote:
lilburne wrote:
KeiferWolfowitz said
"Demiurge1000 has a history or recruiting inexperienced young men or boys to serve as his footsoldiers in his manipulative games. Consider his involvement with Worm That Turned, gwickwire, and now Lukeno94, or his involvement with youngsters off-Wikipedia, e.g. on Wikipedia's IRC. Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men?"
It's close enough to raise an eyebrow but I also do not see a pedophilia insinuation. [....]
Worse what I wrote has been repeatedly misquoted as "young boys".

I volunteered "young people" as a substitute for "boys and young men", but of course banning me from RfAs is of greater interest than is understanding what I wrote and evaluating its truth.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:10 pm

RE "Grooming"

"Grooming" has multiple meanings. Besides the literal "chimpanzees picking ants off each other" and the fearsome "recruiting children for sexual abuse", "grooming" is especially used for the preparation of a young man for service in the military. In the Game of Thrones books, Jon Snow was explicitly "being groomed" for command of the Nights Watch by the Old Bear. Anybody literate should be able to find similar examples of grooming a young man for military service.

Forget "grooming" if it induces fainting spells and hysteria.
Demiurge1000's attempt to recruit Lukeno94 to file an RfC/U against me was inappropriate, given the intellectual and social skills of Lukeno94. It would end badly for him, while providing a vicarious thrill for Demiurge1000.
Last edited by Kiefer.Wolfowitz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Here's what I find hilarious: just a few short years ago, Demiurge1000 was accusing a different editor of acting inappropriately about young boys, which that editor naturally took a great deal of offense to:
Demiurge1000 wrote:I don't consider it entirely appropriate for you to demand that a user that you believe is a (very) young child should contact you privately off-wiki.
Fetchcomms wrote:When did I ever state I believe this user is a very young child? When did I ever demand anything? Why are you presuming what I have to discuss is placing him in danger? For heaven's sake, I had information he posted oversighted for more than one person's safety. Demiurge1000, are you trying to get him hurt by making these claims about his age? Who said anything about parents? I never asked for real names, IP addresses, etc.; I asked for one email. And yes, you bloody well do have to give out your IP to reply unless you use Gmail, to which this user seems to have an aversion. So can we please stop throwing around these implied allegations?
Funny how these things cycle around, isn't it?

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Mason wrote:... Just a few short years ago, Demiurge1000 was accusing a different editor of acting inappropriately about young boys, which that editor naturally took a great deal of offense to:
Demiurge1000 wrote:I don't consider it entirely appropriate for you to demand that a user that you believe is a (very) young child should contact you privately off-wiki.
Fetchcomms wrote:When did I ever state I believe this user is a very young child? When did I ever demand anything? Why are you presuming what I have to discuss is placing him in danger? For heaven's sake, I had information he posted oversighted for more than one person's safety. Demiurge1000, are you trying to get him hurt by making these claims about his age? Who said anything about parents? I never asked for real names, IP addresses, etc.; I asked for one email. And yes, you bloody well do have to give out your IP to reply unless you use Gmail, to which this user seems to have an aversion. So can we please stop throwing around these implied allegations?
Funny how these things cycle around, isn't it?
Fetchcomms was about the most decent and fair-minded administrator on Wikipedia, and a good man. It's a pity but understandable that he retired.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Vigilant,

If an editor were a sexual predator, what areas of Wikipedia would be most appealing?
The Tea House?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 pm

In other spheres, avoiding the appearance of impropriety is considered important, regardless of how trustworthy people are considered. Raising these matters are not normally considered accusations of improper behaviour.

Organisations normally have rules to avoid well-meaning individuals dropping themselves in it, or being tempted.

In an environment where people are not allowed to know who is at the other end of the virtual telephone line, what could possibly go wrong? :irony:

I should think some of the IRC chats could land some of the participants in severe hot water - participants having conversations of a sexual nature suddenly look very different when it might be between a 45 year old man and a 13 year old boy, even if Sue Gardener believes that the children are our future.
Time for a new signature.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:17 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:In other spheres, avoiding the appearance of impropriety is considered important, regardless of how trustworthy people are considered. Raising these matters are not normally considered accusations of improper behaviour.

Organisations normally have rules to avoid well-meaning individuals dropping themselves in it, or being tempted.

In an environment where people are not allowed to know who is at the other end of the virtual telephone line, what could possibly go wrong? :irony:

I should think some of the IRC chats could land some of the participants in severe hot water - participants having conversations of a sexual nature suddenly look very different when it might be between a 45 year old man and a 13 year old boy, even if Sue Gardener believes that the children are our future.
Precisely!

Demi may just be protective of young people, understanding that young people need support. He may also just have reached out to a banned kid to make him feel appreciated, rather than thrown away.

But he should understand that it's best for him and WMF/Wikipedia to avoid such contacts in the future.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Vigilant,

If an editor were a sexual predator, what areas of Wikipedia would be most appealing?
The Tea House?
Article space on subjects that are appealing to that demographic. One of the most common places on the internet for predators is computer games, tv series etc.

I moderate a couple of other forums that have sections that are in use by under 18's, and we do have to be eternally vigilant. It doesnt matter how many sticky topics and giant banners you put up, people (children) still give out their personal details.

Next you are looking at chat rooms. IRC is used by lots of 12-18 year old boys (and girls these days) mainly because its a heavily used tool in gaming, although thats lessening these days now ventrilo/teamspeak servers are so cheap. (As an aside, the female population of gamers on voice servers is much higher than IRC, social aspect.) As they will likely have access to IRC, I would expect more teens (who edit wikipedia) to hang out in IRC than to hang out at the teahouse.
Last edited by Anroth on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm

The Tea House?
Why do you ask ME?!

TeaHouse is a great place to start.
Private IRC channels is another.
Generally hanging around in IRC with the same older men for long periods of time.
Editor mentoring/adopting is a great daisy chain of trust relationships and intimacy. Creepy tests, etc

Culminating in a meeting at a wikimania event.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Vigilant wrote:

The Tea House?
Why do you ask ME?!
Sorry for the vagueness.
I remembered somebody mentioning an editor here who was helpful at identifying predators, and I must misremembered the user name. Yours is great!

Sorry again for not being clear about why I asked you, from the start.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Vigilant wrote:

The Tea House?
Why do you ask ME?!

TeaHouse is a great place to start.
Private IRC channels is another.
Generally hanging around in IRC with the same older men for long periods of time.
Editor mentoring/adopting is a great daisy chain of trust relationships and intimacy. Creepy tests, etc

Culminating in a meeting at a wikimania event.
This made me laugh so hard I almost literally feared an heart event. Kudos to Vigilant for answering the question.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Triptych wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:V____,
The Tea House?
Why do you ask ME?!
This made me laugh so hard I almost literally feared an heart event. Kudos to Vigilant for answering the question.
The Rambling Man and Lukeno94 had convinced the RfA-paysans that (1) I was a bad writer.

Then at AN the Blocking Heads agree that (2) I am such a spectacular writer that my imagery of recruiting pawns carries sexual meanings that cannot be blocked, despite their usual layers of tinfoil.

Perhaps the assessment (1) of my writing is correct? ;)

Are there any examples of "editors" asserting (1) at RfA and (2) at AN? This question may interest a student of cognitive dissonance....Image
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Ironholds wrote:comment; it's very early days, here, but given the overwhelming consensus I'd strongly suggest nobody unblock unless they want to get thwapped. Ironholds (talk) 22:17, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
I think you're fucked now. None of the administrators wants to get "thwapped" by Ironholds. :p

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:57 pm

mac wrote:
Ironholds wrote:comment; it's very early days, here, but given the overwhelming consensus I'd strongly suggest nobody unblock unless they want to get thwapped. Ironholds (talk) 22:17, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
I think you're fucked now. None of the administrators wants to get "thwapped" by Ironholds. :p
Ironholds's stupidity/dishonesty and authoritarianism are entertaining for students of the Peter Principle:
I have blocked you indefinitely for this edit. That edit (and the edit summary) is far out of the bounds of acceptability. I will be posting on the noticeboard thread in a minute about this block.Horologium (T-C-L) 20:55, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
:picard:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Read what I wrote. I accused nobody of being sexually used by DU1000---certainly not WTT. Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L) 21:17, 3 June 2013 (UTC) :frustrated2:

Comprehension seems low today, Kiefer. I, for one, understood what you meant. Intothatdarkness (T-C-L) 21:19, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
"Is he behaving appropriately towards these boys and young men?" How did you expect that to be interpreted? AutomaticStrikeout (T-C-L) 21:28, 3 June 2013 (UTC) :iknowiknow:

When read in the full context of what was going on there, I take it to be a question as to whether an experienced user should be encouraging new users to fight his battles for him. But people will read what they wish into things. That's always (IMO) been one of KW's written weaknesses. His style is opaque at times and easy to misunderstand or twist. Intothatdarkness 21:35, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

So substitute "young people" if it makes you happy, and strike the offending phrase.
Please focus on the issue, which is recruiting pawns. Should he have been advising Luke to pursue an RfC targetting me? Should he have been egging on gwickwire? etc. Kiefer.Wolfowitz 22:06, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

One of the "young boys" :wikistop: Demiurge has, according to Kiefer, been questionably behaving towards is a member of the arbitration committee. That sort of undermines the argument, here. The fact of the matter is that grooming was ''immediately surfaced as a possible interpretation of your statement'' - and instead of doing anything in response, you goaded people. You either knew full well what you were saying or just fancied poisoning the well a tiny bit more. Neither attitude is appropriate. Ironholds (T-C-L) 22:08, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
:furious:
Just as The Rambling Man (T-C-L) seems to have introduced "sexual grooming" as a malicious misrepresentation, Ironholds seems to have introduced the "young boys", a big lie that has been repeated at AN without challenge.

It's bizarre that AN Blocking Heads are demanding that I apologize when I already requested that somebody strike the phrase and substitute the imprecise "young people".
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)