Succession boxes

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Succession boxes

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 pm

The succession box in biographies is a possibly useful feature. It shows a position held by the subject and who preceded and followed him or her in that position. However it is often used inconsistently. For example, for Peter Housden (T-H-L) there is a box for Permanent Secretary to the Scottish Government but not Permanent Secretary of the Department for Communities and Local Government.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Wonderer
Regular
Actual Name: Robert Soupe

Re: Succession boxes

Unread post by Wonderer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Yeah, but they're probably too busy keeping up with "President" Trump's administration. Sarah Huckabee Sanders (T-H-L) is the "incumbent" White House Press Secretary (T-H-L) but she was in office "January 20, 2017 – July 26, 2017" and has been succeeded by Lindsay Walters. Something doesn't add up there.

Meanwhile, Anthony Scaramucci (T-H-L) was White House Director of Communications (T-H-L) after acting director Sean Spicer but before the current acting director Hope Hicks. Hope who?

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 pm

One great feature of the succession box is that the various constituent sub-templates individually emit malformed wiki markup: it's only when they're read in succession that you get legal markup codes. That breaks the new-fangled parser and make it harder for Visual Editor. So eventually they will have to be banned.

Wonderer
Regular
Actual Name: Robert Soupe

Unread post by Wonderer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Oops, sorry, I got confused. Sarah Huckabee Sanders was Deputy Press Secretary and now she's Press Secretary. I think that's what I should have gotten from the infobox. Whether that's correct today, and whether it'll be correct tomorrow, I don't know.

It points up the risk of misinformation from half-reading Wikipedia articles. The information about Peter Housden might be correct but not presented all that well, but I could easily misunderstand it and then go on to spout some patently false fact to my friends who don't know much about Scottish government, or American government for that matter.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Wonderer wrote:the current acting director Hope Hicks. Hope who?
Hope Hicks (T-H-L) has her own article. Apparently, she's now Trump's longest-serving political aide - a dubious honour. But no doubt she'll last for a while longer.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Wonderer wrote:Oops, sorry, I got confused. Sarah Huckabee Sanders was Deputy Press Secretary and now she's Press Secretary. I think that's what I should have gotten from the infobox. Whether that's correct today, and whether it'll be correct tomorrow, I don't know.
You'll likely enjoy our next blog post. Stay tuned.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 pm

It is of course perfectly possible for succession boxes to become inconsistent if not updated in tandem. It would presumably be possible for the WMF developers to devise some clever piece of code that could be used to keep them all compatible. Somebody should ask for it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:It would presumably be possible for the WMF developers to devise some clever piece of code that could be used to keep them all compatible.
No doubt it's possible. Whether the WMF developers could do the job is a very different question.