The Karmafist story, etc.

Ghost In The Machine
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia User: RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
Wikipedia Review Member: RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

Alas, poor Karmafist. We hardly knew ye.

Unread post by Ghost In The Machine » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:26 pm

greyed.out.fields wrote:
Jaranda wrote:
Ghost In The Machine wrote:my fav edit summary.
:bow: :banana: :XD
Lord, Karmafest, what a character. Can block or deletion summaries be included as well here?
Karmafist (T-C-L). I remember (presumably) him. (Dramafist, Karmafest... wonder if they are available usernames...)
Block or deletion summaries? Why the hell not!
Alas, poor Karmafist.
He was guilty of two crimes the wikipediots do not forgive-
Having a real sense of humor and calling em as he saw em.
Compounded by the fact he did not kowtow or deliver anal-lingus to the little tin god kings and drag queens after they banninated him.

He also made the mistake, so many of us do, of taking wikipedia at its face value, realizing too late tis a cult cum MMORPG.

It was his mistreatment, along with Giano's, during the userbox wars that helped open my eyes to the true nature of the place.

:picard: :stalin:
Know thyself...at least once a day.

EricBarbour

Re: Funny edit summaries

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Ghost In The Machine wrote:Alas, poor Karmafist.
I bet you didn't know that Karmafist was the focus of a plot--by Jimmy Wales and Steve Dunlop.
They openly talked about "going meatspace" on him and trying to get him charged with federal crimes.
From emails saved by Kelly Martin:
"I found this choice gem from Jimmy while looking through old emails about Karmafist:"

"Well, as it is, he is on-notice that I am prepared to go meatspace on him if he keeps it up. Despite his defiant response, he may in the fullness of time realize that acting like a junior revolutonary teenager may not be the best way to influence Wikipedia policy and could very well backfire on him in some serious ways."
"He has two positions, as I understand it. One, minor elected official. Two, head of the Democratic party in his area. I rather suspect that the second job is held at the pleasure of the higher-ups in the state democratic party, and a phone call to someone there might work wonders."
"To date, 3 different Senators have contacted me to randomly suck up to me."
"Smart politicians understand that pissing off Wikipedia is not a good idea."

"This was at least partially in response to this from Steve Dunlop:"

"Actually, the greater problem he has is that we have evidence implicating him in a violation of 18 USC 1030 (A)(2)(c), which would get him one year in the federal pen and disqualify him from holding elected office. While our evidence isn't conclusive it would be enough to get a warrant; the practical problem we would face is that the federal agencies charged with investigating violations of 18 USC 1030 aren't especially interested in any but the most egregious violations. The fact that he's an elected official might help, though."
Okay, now let's see someone try to claim that "Jimbo really isn't such a bad guy after all".

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
I bet you didn't know that Karmafist was the focus of a plot--by Jimmy Wales and Steve Dunlop.
They openly talked about "going meatspace" on him and trying to get him charged with federal crimes.
"I found this choice gem from Jimmy while looking through old emails about Karmafist:"

"Well, as it is, he is on-notice that I am prepared to go meatspace on him if he keeps it up. Despite his defiant response, he may in the fullness of time realize that acting like a junior revolutonary teenager may not be the best way to influence Wikipedia policy and could very well backfire on him in some serious ways."
"He has two positions, as I understand it. One, minor elected official. Two, head of the Democratic party in his area. I rather suspect that the second job is held at the pleasure of the higher-ups in the state democratic party, and a phone call to someone there might work wonders."

"Actually, the greater problem he has is that we have evidence implicating him in a violation of 18 USC 1030 (A)(2)(c), which would get him one year in the federal pen and disqualify him from holding elected office. While our evidence isn't conclusive it would be enough to get a warrant; the practical problem we would face is that the federal agencies charged with investigating violations of 18 USC 1030 aren't especially interested in any but the most egregious violations. The fact that he's an elected official might help, though."
Okay, now let's see someone try to claim that "Jimbo really isn't such a bad guy after all".
Okaaay-fine,
I'd like to see anyone on wikipedia ever, ever, ever complain about being "outed" after that email.
Do you have a link to the original posting?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Ghost In The Machine
Contributor

Unread post by Ghost In The Machine » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:27 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

Until I saw that, honestly no, I though Karma was being a bit paranoid in thinking Jimmy was out to get him IRL.
Fortunately, Jimbo was too much of a poltroon to go through with it.
If he had more of a vertebrae, and a will to evil, he might actually be scary, instead of merely creepy.
Of course it would also make it harder for him to maintain his "Mr Nice Guy" public image.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:08 am

Ghost In The Machine wrote:Until I saw that, honestly no, I though Karma was being a bit paranoid in thinking Jimmy was out to get him IRL.
Far as you know. Only thing, Andy disappeared so completely, I haven't been able to contact him for his side of this.

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Ghost In The Machine wrote:Until I saw that, honestly no, I though Karma was being a bit paranoid in thinking Jimmy was out to get him IRL.
Far as you know. Only thing, Andy disappeared so completely, I haven't been able to contact him for his side of this.
A few of the old editors can try, but yes Karmafist rise and fall in my opinion is one of Wikipedia greatest tragedies. He self-inflicted some of the abuse himself as I always thought of him as an admin who was willing to do anything to please the more powerful admins by doing their dirty work, but the way he was driven out of the project and resorting to "trolling and vandalism" was simply sad. And looking at those emails above I'm simply in disbelief. I need to think more about what happened there. (To a mod I think a separate Karmafist thread is needed as there is interest and its off-topic in this post about funny summaries.)

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 pm

EricBarbour wrote: Far as you know. Only thing, Andy disappeared so completely, I haven't been able to contact him for his side of this.
Here you go.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

cyofee
Critic
Wikipedia Review Member: cyofee

Unread post by cyofee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

Does this remind anyone else of the "Anvil" email?
http://goo.gl/maps/LpI0u - Wikipediocrats around the world

spp
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Sp
Wikipedia Review Member: sp

Re: Alas, poor Karmafist. We hardly knew ye.

Unread post by spp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm

No, but it does remind me of when another user did it an he went apeshit.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:03 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

Date?

Context?

Full content?

RfB

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:22 am

Hex wrote:
EricBarbour wrote: Far as you know. Only thing, Andy disappeared so completely, I haven't been able to contact him for his side of this.
Here you go.
Couple of interesting friends he has, including a few old wikipedians still after all these years.

Ghost In The Machine
Contributor

Unread post by Ghost In The Machine » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 am

EricBarbour wrote:
As far as I know, Andrew had real world problems to deal with, including his town being severely flooded, that had nothing to do with Jimbozo's clownish attempts at Machiavellian machinations.
:deadhorse:
(my new fav emoticon)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Can I please urge a thread title change? The origin of the expression "Johnny I hardly Knew Ye" is a song about a girl lamenting that her boyfriend has returned from the wars so mutiliated that he is almost unrecognisable. I don't think Karmafist was treated that badly.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 pm

And I just thought the OP was a Dropkick Murphys fan....

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Outsider wrote:Can I please urge a thread title change? The origin of the expression "Johnny I hardly Knew Ye" is a song about a girl lamenting that her boyfriend has returned from the wars so mutiliated that he is almost unrecognisable. I don't think Karmafist was treated that badly.
Never had heard of the song, but definitely have heard of the book, which I suspect is far better known and about an entirely different Johnny.

There was a far older inspiration as well; a mish-mash of memes, you might say.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 am

Outsider wrote:Can I please urge a thread title change? The origin of the expression "Johnny I hardly Knew Ye" is a song about a girl lamenting that her boyfriend has returned from the wars so mutiliated that he is almost unrecognisable. I don't think Karmafist was treated that badly.
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?
Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let
her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must
come; make her laugh at that. Prithee, Horatio, tell
me one thing.

-Hamlet: Act 5, Scene 1
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am

Cedric wrote:
Never had heard of the song, but definitely have heard of the book, which I suspect is far better known and about an entirely different Johnny.

There was a far older inspiration as well; a mish-mash of memes, you might say.
Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye (T-H-L)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 pm

I would change the name of this damn thread, if I could figure out how. Mods apparently don't have that ability.

If you're wondering what Karmafist looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhforhealthcare/410144448/

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 am

EricBarbour wrote:I would change the name of this damn thread, if I could figure out how. Mods apparently don't have that ability.
Move all the posts to a new topic with the desired title.

EricBarbour

The Karmafist story, etc.

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 am

Changing name of topic.

karmafist
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Karmafist
Wikipedia Review Member: Karmafist

Re: The Karmafist story, etc.

Unread post by karmafist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 pm

I was just thinking about the old days and discovered this thread and other comments last night. Figured I should say something.

Until I discovered these comments about me, I was unaware of that e-mail. I find any attempts on their part to "tell my boss" about anything or "try to put me in jail for a year" laughable. Unless I missed it, Wikipedia has never played a significant role in my offline life.

I hate to tell you this, but the general public does not think about Wikipedia all that much. When they do, they think of it as the informational equivalent of fast food: an emphasis on access over nutrition.

Vandalizing it has the same legal equivalent as cheating on a video game. People in the real world don't care, they have real issues to deal with. Anyone dumb enough to trust Wikipedia without double checking elsewhere deserves what they get. Even Wikipedia doesn't trust Wikipedia as a source, that should say all that needs to be said.

Wikipedia only truly matters to people who have a financial stake in it or people who have made thousands of edits in it.

For me, all of this mattered because when I started editing heavily on Wikipedia, I felt like I was building something worthwhile. Like I was part of a community joined together in something greater.

I believed in what Jimbo proclaimed Wikipedia to be even when all evidence showed that Jimbo didn't share the belief that he proclaimed.

For awhile I made some more sockpuppets after Karmafist (more than they have listed on the Karmafist page) and then life got in the way.

However, it's hard to to avoid Wikipedia if you're on the internet. A year or two ago, I made another account and it's been chugging along; legitimately editing and checking off all the boxes onto the way to another adminship. No vandalism.

If somebody discovers it and blocks it, I will probably just make another one and start over. Wouldn't be the first time. If someone from Wikipedia actually reads this and then distrusts every admin candidate from now on, that's fine too. If I do raise this account to adminship, I may continue editing with it, or nominally edit with it and start another account toward adminship or both. At some point I may choose to make another account and use that to vandalize.

None of that really matters. To me, only two things matter.

#1. Whenever I confront a bully, I get angry. I edit Wikipedia because as you know, these pompous, narrow-minded, irrational, joyless people are in thick supply on Wikipedia. In life you have to deal with them, deal with them without getting angry but without capitulation.

That has always been a weakness of mine and Wikipedia is good practice for dealing with those types in real life. So far with this account, it's been a good experience.

#2. I was angry at them for a long time, angry at Jimbo, for a long time. It had felt like that feeling of purpose had been stolen. Eventually I realized that feeling was coming from within myself.

Jimbo and WMF can control Wikipedia, but they cannot control me or control what I do or what I feel. Only I have control over myself.

They can ban me over and over, but they can't stop me from returning if I choose to do so unless they block every single IP address in the world. As stated above, the non-Wikipedia world does not care at all about the inner workings of Wikipedia.

What they do has become immaterial to me.

If I choose to continue chasing that dream that Jimbo has abandoned, then I will. If I choose to vandalize, I will. If I choose to stop editing Wikipedia altogether, I will. What I do, I will do without anger, and I will continue to do it until I decide not to do it.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 pm

:welcome:
karmafist...
Enjoy reading our topics.
That was quite a first post.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Welcome, karmafist!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:43 am

karmafist wrote:What I do, I will do without anger, and I will continue to do it until I decide not to do it.

Welcome back, man! :)

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:56 pm

No Teenage Admin badge for you because 2006 was a long time ago! :banana:

karmafist
Contributor

Unread post by karmafist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 am

One thing I've found is that Wikipedia is still like real life: I don't have the power to fix the injustices found in it, but I have a hard time ignoring those injustices.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Karmafist wrote:I hate to tell you this, but the general public does not think about Wikipedia all that much. When they do, they think of it as the informational equivalent of fast food: an emphasis on access over nutrition.
Nice line!

RfB

Ansh666
Critic
Wikipedia User: Ansh666

Unread post by Ansh666 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Karmafist wrote:I hate to tell you this, but the general public does not think about Wikipedia all that much. When they do, they think of it as the informational equivalent of fast food: an emphasis on access over nutrition.
Nice line!

RfB
This, yeah. But watch out if you try to tell any of the more "serious" editors that, they'll laugh at you and say that everyone they know uses Wikipedia religiously for anything and everything. (I tried.)

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Karmafist. What kind of things were you doing to trigger that response from Jimmy? (Assuming Eric has accurately quoted Kelly and Kelly Jimmy.)

Textnyymi
Gregarious

Unread post by Textnyymi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm

I hate to tell you this, but the general public does not think about Wikipedia all that much. When they do, they think of it as the informational equivalent of fast food: an emphasis on access over nutrition.
Does it mean that the fast paced rhytm of modern life promoted the creation of a conveniently accessible wiki?

If people use these resources, and have got to know about the pros and cons of doing so, then it will be their responsibility to check their health after eating convenient food and their responsibility to check their actions after getting to know convenient data.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 am

Textnyymi wrote:
Does it mean that the fast paced rhytm of modern life promoted the creation of a conveniently accessible wiki?

If people use these resources, and have got to know about the pros and cons of doing so, then it will be their responsibility to check their health after eating convenient food and their responsibility to check their actions after getting to know convenient data.
Hmmm... "Junk Food" --> "Junk Facts"

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Textnyymi
Gregarious

Unread post by Textnyymi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Hmmm... "Junk Food" --> "Junk Facts"
Matthew effect: the more the users on a site, the more junk the site contains and receives.

Are people eating the junk willingly? And if so, why?
Wikipedia only truly matters to people who have a financial stake in it or people who have made thousands of edits in it.
Or if they're afraid the edits on certain pages are going to create unpleasant consequences for them. Remember John Seigenthaler and Taner Akçam?

karmafist
Contributor

Unread post by karmafist » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:Hi Karmafist. What kind of things were you doing to trigger that response from Jimmy? (Assuming Eric has accurately quoted Kelly and Kelly Jimmy.)
I stood up to him when he was wrong and he knew he was wrong.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 pm

karmafist wrote:
Anthonyhcole wrote:Hi Karmafist. What kind of things were you doing to trigger that response from Jimmy? (Assuming Eric has accurately quoted Kelly and Kelly Jimmy.)
That's always a pointless strategy. How often will he admit that he's wrong?

karmafist
Contributor

Unread post by karmafist » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Poetlister wrote:
karmafist wrote:
That's always a pointless strategy. How often will he admit that he's wrong?
Wrong is wrong. His opinion is irrelevant.

Textnyymi
Gregarious

Unread post by Textnyymi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm

But he's still going to make cash from speeches if the public at large doesn't understand how wrong he is. Peter Damian planned a decent book about Wikipedia and its history, but if it isn't going to be read at large then it's going to remain something interesting for users on this forum only, just like your posts.

And besides, what would compel him to admit he's wrong and risk losing his means of income, considering he's got Kira to take care of?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Textnyymi wrote:And besides, what would compel him to admit he's wrong and risk losing his means of income, considering he's got Kira to take care of?
Plus his two children from his current wife, although I guess she's fairly well off in her own right.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Textnyymi wrote:And besides, what would compel him to admit he's wrong and risk losing his means of income, considering he's got Kira to take care of?
Plus his two children from his current wife, although I guess she's fairly well off in her own right.
I think discussion of his wife and children is unseemly.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

karmafist
Contributor

Unread post by karmafist » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 am

Textnyymi wrote:
But he's still going to make cash from speeches if the public at large doesn't understand how wrong he is. Peter Damian planned a decent book about Wikipedia and its history, but if it isn't going to be read at large then it's going to remain something interesting for users on this forum only, just like your posts.

And besides, what would compel him to admit he's wrong and risk losing his means of income, considering he's got Kira to take care of?
Whether he makes money from his speeches or he gives up that money is irrelevant. As mentioned before, the general public doesn't care about what he or his minions think. They don't care about what critics of Wikipedia think either. They only think about Wikipedia in terms of its convenience to them and that's it.

Thoughts of "stopping" him are counterproductive and fruitless. It's better instead to realize that he cannot stop anyone thanks to the anonymity of the internet.

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:14 pm

karmafist wrote:
Thanks. Is the contretemps still online? If so, a link or two would be good.

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:
karmafist wrote:
Thanks. Is the contretemps still online? If so, a link or two would be good.
It was before my time, but there was an arbitration case in 2006 that might be relevant.

Textnyymi
Gregarious

Unread post by Textnyymi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:30 pm

They only think about Wikipedia in terms of its convenience to them and that's it.
And what about its inconvenience? Would they think about that? For example, repeating and spreading incorrect information?

Wait, that happens on Facebook as well...

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Textnyymi wrote:
They only think about Wikipedia in terms of its convenience to them and that's it.
And what about its inconvenience? Would they think about that? For example, repeating and spreading incorrect information?

Wait, that happens on Facebook as well...
And Twitter. And on all sorts of Fake News sites.

I'm not an expert on the history of fake news, but I suspect Wikipedia's open editing platform may have contributed to the recent explosion, somewhat. For years, it was just stuff like News Of The World or The National Enquirer, which pretty much everyone dismissed as laughable entertainment or satire. The open editing platform on such a widely read website, that tries to pass itself off as a legit encyclopedia, makes spreading propaganda, half-truths and plain old lies so easy, especially when you can abuse the process to control POV.

That would make a pretty cool thesis topic.

karmafist
Contributor

Unread post by karmafist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 am

I'm tired of being angry at them, but I'm still angry at them after all these years.

I fear that one day I might not be able to control my anger and something will happen I cannot undo.

karmafist
Contributor

Unread post by karmafist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 am

No one cares.

Textnyymi
Gregarious

Unread post by Textnyymi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 am

No one cares.
What do you mean, "something will happen you can't undo"? Are you going to fly away with Linuxbeak on his Cessna aircraft, and end up having stomach problems? :banana: