Creative Vandalism

Jim
Blue Meanie
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Re: Creative Vandalism

Unread post by Jim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

And, dammit - deleted pictures don't work at webcite - 30 seconds of my life wasted archiving that.
At least I printed it to show Mrs. Jim, and Eric got a screenshot.
I guess you just had to be there...

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Wed May 21, 2014 10:11 pm

This From the Triceratops (T-H-L) article:
====Extinction====

The last remaining Triceratops was shot dead by Steven Spielberg on 1993 to be used as a prop for the movie "Jurassic Park".

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Guess who attacked Kuwait?

Ferahgo
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Ferahgo the Assassin

Unread post by Ferahgo » Thu May 22, 2014 1:45 am

Captain Occam wrote:This From the Triceratops (T-H-L) article:
====Extinction====

The last remaining Triceratops was shot dead by Steven Spielberg on 1993 to be used as a prop for the movie "Jurassic Park".
And the reverting editor's edit summary: "Highly dubious, unsourced." No, really...

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu May 22, 2014 11:53 am

Ferahgo wrote:
====Extinction====

And the reverting editor's edit summary: "Highly dubious, unsourced." No, really...
Sloppy vandal. He should have added a "source".
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Ferahgo wrote:
====Extinction====

Oh yeah?

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 am

Yet another bizarre piece of vandalism on a dinosaur article. (Or is this original research rather than vandalism?)
Nearly every single pelvic bone belonging to a Utahraptor has been found shattered into thousands of shards. The most possible scenario happens to be Utahraptors were frequently victims of rape. The culprits, most likely were the Cedarosaurus'. They were a species of notorious nymphomanics. The female sauropods would act as bait for the raptors, then during the attack, the males would surprise them ramming their enormous penises into the attackers' cloacas. The shear force would shatter the pelvis in a single slam. The raptors would then be helpless without motion, leaving them as the sauropods' sex slaves. They would last about a week before the nearly constant forced intercourse had the raptors die of exhaustion.
What makes this edit especially bizarre is that it actually displays some paleontological knowledge. Cedarosaurus is indeed a sauropod dinosaur found in the same formation as Utahraptor, and it's also correct that nobody has ever found an intact Utahraptor pelvis.

The account that made this edit, TreyCray (T-C-L), has no other edits. I wonder whose sock it is?

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:53 am

Ferahgo wrote:
====Extinction====

That's funnier than the vandalism.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:28 pm

There's an entire paragraph that's a hoax, which has lasted over four months on an article that has been viewed over 40,000 times without anyone removing it. Additional humorousness is that I pointed out this hoax to over 10 people, and none of them bothered to remove it, either.

:always:
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:53 pm

thekohser wrote:There's an entire paragraph that's a hoax, which has lasted over four months on an article that has been viewed over 40,000 times without anyone removing it. Additional humorousness is that I pointed out this hoax to over 10 people, and none of them bothered to remove it, either.

:always:
Subtle vandalism is the sort usually caught by the sort of Wikipedia editor that is entirely replaceable, according to Marc Andre Pelletier (Coren):
[Wikimedia-l] Interest in a community strategic planning meeting?
Marc A. Pelletier
Mon Jul 14 17:58:30 UTC 2014
On 07/14/2014 10:39 AM, Martijn Hoekstra wrote:
> I still
> believe, that the success of English Wikipedia hinges on the ability of the
> community to generate content
, and that that's the absolutely most
> important part of English Wikipedia - all else, including consumption by
> end users - follows from that.

I don't believe that's where the value lies. While I am certain we have
a number of contributors who write for the sake of writing; ultimately
we are *all* beholden to the readers. Collecting the world's knowledge
and making it available only has value insofar as it is, in fact, used
as such.

The servers running, the editors editing, the coders coding are all
necessary components but all, in the end, subservient to the actual
objective of serving the readers. Everything else is replacable.

In my long stint on the meta-side of the biggest project (and keeping
abreast of what goes on elsewhere) I saw a very great deal of
self-important navel gazing, but very little actual consideration that
the "community" (if there is such a thing) is only a means to the actual
end. The WMF certainly does not do everything perfectly, but at the
very least it actually /attempts/ to keep an eye on the prize.

-- Marc
(emphasis added)

By "eye on the prize", ... oh never mind.

(edited to hell and back)

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 pm

mac wrote:[...]
Subtle vandalism is the sort usually caught by the sort of Wikipedia editor that is entirely replaceable, according to Marc Andre Pelletier (Coren):
Marc A. Pelletier
> I still

as such.

-- Marc
(emphasis added)

By "eye on the prize", ... oh never mind.

(edited to hell and back)
Risker (T-C-L) seems to share Coren's view that the editors can go fuck themselves. From Jimbotalk:
Interesting point. The biggest asset is probably the readers, whose actions are what makes Wikipedia a top-5 google-hit for almost every subject; the only role of the editors in that is the creation of the page in the first place. Risker (talk) 01:24, 21 July 2014 (UTC)
Did she get hit in the head with a coconut? What would "the readers" see if not for the editors?
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.
Former WPO members Deltahedron (T-C-L) and Eric Corbett called her out:
Risker suggests that the "biggest asset is probably the readers": actually, I'm pretty sure it's the encyclopaedia, which is what we are building here -- "the only role of the editors in that is the creation": yes, and quite an important one I would have said. Deltahedron (talk) 17:25, 21 July 2014 (UTC)

Quite. That was a rather strange and very revealing thing for Risker to have said. Eric Corbett 14:14, 22 July 2014 (UTC)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:29 pm

thekohser wrote:There's an entire paragraph that's a hoax, which has lasted over four months on an article that has been viewed over 40,000 times without anyone removing it. Additional humorousness is that I pointed out this hoax to over 10 people, and none of them bothered to remove it, either.
Well, it's about time. This was not the first, and not even the second time I've pulled the fake radio station prank, either!

Question, though... now that Virginia Lake (T-C-L) has been blocked as a sockpuppet of Thekohser (T-C-L), what should be done about edits like this or this? Can they be trusted?
Last edited by thekohser on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:10 pm

As for the "biggest asset" matter, if you're the WMF, I'm pretty sure it's the readers, since (cumulatively) they donate much more cash to New Montgomery Street than the editors do.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

mac wrote:
Marc A. Pelletier
> I still

as such.

-- Marc
(emphasis added)
Risker (T-C-L) seems to share Coren's view that the editors can go fuck themselves. From Jimbotalk:
Interesting point. The biggest asset is probably the readers, whose actions are what makes Wikipedia a top-5 google-hit for almost every subject; the only role of the editors in that is the creation of the page in the first place. Risker (talk) 01:24, 21 July 2014 (UTC)
I expected no less. The cracks in the edifice of the Mighty Wiki-Wurlitzer are widening.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Risker has no idea how the Google algorithm works. But what this quote shows is how obsessed top Wikipedians are with Google ranking and page hits. Those are their criteria for success, not quality of articles.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:45 pm

This has just appeared on a talk page in my watch list. I don't find the hoax described particularly creative or humorous, but it's fairly subtle and certainly long lasting. At 7 years 1 month, it's longer lasting than all but 2 of the hoaxes listed in List of Wikipedia hoaxes (T-H-L).

Thanks to Wikipedia there are now endless webpages and at least two University theses which misattribute two completely fictitious works, Cademekela and Durkeamynarda—the second supposedly written posthumously—to the famous Indian mathematician Brahmagupta.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:32 pm

This just in...

I accidentally started a Wikipedia hoax
By EJ Dickson on July 29, 2014 (Daily Dot)
...I wrote that Amelia Bedelia edit in 2009, with my best friend Evan during our sophomore year of college. As he recalled when I called him later that evening, “we were stoned out of our minds” and had just come from the McDonald’s drive-thru to get chicken selects when we decided to edit Wikipedia pages for various semi-obscure children’s book authors.

...But given the tone of the writing—"her vast collection of hats, notorious for their extensive plumage” is about as snarky as snarky can get—and the fact that Evan and I didn’t even cite a source, why would no one see any red flags? How could the Amelia Bedelia Cameroon myth go unedited or unquestioned for so long—if not by Amelia Bedelia’s readers, by Parish himself, who is still alive and well and writing books for the Amelia Bedelia series?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 pm

thekohser wrote:I accidentally started a Wikipedia hoax
By EJ Dickson on July 29, 2014 (Daily Dot)
And that's not all. It was posted on Metafilter, and people started posting their own accounts of WP hoaxing.
My colleagues at a previous job pulled a prank on an overseas visitor to our site once. They knew where they were staying, and so created the Wikipedia entry for the place, saying that the place was haunted.

They specifically mentioned the months while the visitor would be there as being prime time for ghostly activity (check the first version of the page).

If you visit the relevant page now (linked above), the claims for the haunting are still there, but the story has been fleshed out and the time period for peak haunting has been removed.
I know a guy who writes for MAD Magazine. His initial Wikipedia entry was created back in 2004, and back then he thought the whole idea of him having a Wikipedia entry was completely ridiculous. So sometimes, to amuse himself, he'd log on and make outrageous changes to the article to see how long it took someone to notice.

But he was posting obviously-fake things - like how he is known for his sardonic use of ampersands, or that he was born in Italy in 1853, or that he invented the steam-powered air hockey table, or that portions of his left buttock are on display in the Smithsonian. After a while, Wikipedia started keeping a close eye on things; but even if they stayed up a while, nothing he posted would ever get repeated without someone saying, "......wait. Can we research this?"
My edit that Arnold Schwarzenegger became very interested in the mythology of Robert Howard's Conan and now worshiped Crom did not last long.

Which is too bad. The world would be a better place if more people knew the riddle of steel.
Plus:
I can't see why anybody's particularly surprised that Wikipedia contains completely baseless information like this. Wikipedia is a subculture that privileges tech geeks who can assimilate its rules, lingo, and Web formatting style over people who have accurate knowledge of something. Excessive adherence to the "no original research" rule even makes it worse.
And finally, as one of the commentors noted, today that asshole Bearian decided to block the IP address that did this -- in January 2009. That's Wikipedia, closing the barn door after all the animals have run off.

AL1
Critic
Nom de plume: Fetty Wap

Unread post by AL1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Don't really know how "creative" this is, but it's good to see that longtime users/admins (in some cases), among them Materialscientist (T-C-L) (of course) and MONGO (T-C-L), have seen fit to rack up edit counts and anti-vandalism points on the page of rapper Slim Thug (T-H-L), all while the first sentence of the article has read, for almost exactly two years now (since diff):
Stayve Jerome Thomas (born September 8, 1980),[1] better known as Slim Thug, Boss Hogg or Sheffield Wednesday...
Sheffield Wednesday (T-H-L) is, for those who don't know, the name of a football club in the north of England, and very unlikely to be an actual alternative nickname for an rapper from Houston, Texas. Yet of course, when we go to Google now, we get: link
:facepalm:

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:06 pm

AL1 wrote:Don't really know how "creative" this is, but it's good to see that longtime users/admins (in some cases), among them Materialscientist (T-C-L) (of course) and MONGO (T-C-L), have seen fit to rack up edit counts and anti-vandalism points on the page of rapper Slim Thug (T-H-L), all while the first sentence of the article has read, for almost exactly two years now (since diff):
Stayve Jerome Thomas (born September 8, 1980),[1] better known as Slim Thug, Boss Hogg or Sheffield Wednesday...
Sheffield Wednesday (T-H-L) is, for those who don't know, the name of a football club in the north of England, and very unlikely to be an actual alternative nickname for an rapper from Houston, Texas. Yet of course, when we go to Google now, we get: link
:facepalm:
Inserted just over two years ago by an IP: link

zimm2
Contributor

Unread post by zimm2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 am

List of individuals sanctioned during the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine I added Adolf Hitler to see also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =620876241

added Do not vandalize in JD & The Straight Shot article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =620608380

Putin + Hitler = Putler under first edit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... 78.195.157

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:09 pm

:rotfl: :welcome:

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:44 am

For the past five months, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was "also known as" Adolf Hitler on Wikidata.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 am

Mason wrote:For the past five months, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was "also known as" Adolf Hitler on Wikidata.
I remember people worrying that the transition of various forms of data to Wikidata would present a colossal magnet for vandals wanting to affect numerous sites at once, and that it would be hard to police. They were right.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:42 am

Hex wrote:
Mason wrote:For the past five months, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was "also known as" Adolf Hitler on Wikidata.
I remember people worrying that the transition of various forms of data to Wikidata would present a colossal magnet for vandals wanting to affect numerous sites at once, and that it would be hard to police. They were right.
Wikidata needs new change patrollers just as much as, probably more than, Wikipedia itself.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Hex wrote:
The Swami Vigilant graciously accepts your accolades.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Hex wrote:
Wikidata needs new change patrollers just as much as, probably more than, Wikipedia itself.
Bu, bu, bu that's not fun work!

Just ask about project Qworty.
Wikipedia:WikiProject_Contributor_clean-up/Qworty (T-H-L)
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Libertarians. The Von Mises Institute and related bodies have a recurring line that FDR was a fascist.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:51 am

Ha ha, "Nature vs. Nurture!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =631812250

Good one, IP! :rotfl:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Gotta admire the determination of this editor: link

This one's funny, but not safe for work: NSFW link, but the edit before it is intriguing:
Revision as of 21:27, 4 August 2014 (edit)
Mike Peel (talk | contribs)
m (removed Category:Wikimedia Foundation staff using HotCat)
(edited)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 pm

mac wrote:Gotta admire the determination of this editor: link

This one's funny, but not safe for work: NSFW link, but the edit before it is intriguing:
(edited)
Oliver claims "I am a contractor for the Wikimedia Foundation", hence he is not their employee.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
mac wrote:Gotta admire the determination of this editor: link

(edited)
Oliver claims "I am a contractor for the Wikimedia Foundation", hence he is not their employee.
Ha!

The long, slow goodbye.

Adios, throat puncher!

P.S. My offer still stands.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20 am

JoLynn Garnes
JoLynn Garnes has no middle name. She is fascinated by China, Mormons, weather, and cuttlefish. She loves kitties. She shares a birthday with Adolf Hitler, and possibly with Muhammad. She has been described as an "obnoxious woman-hating man-hater with the body of a starved ethiopian WNBA player." Few people know that JoLynn Garnes actually coined the street expression "uh, uh, strawberries," which is now a common colloquialism among Azerbaijani youth.
That's been there for two weeks. It had previously been in her bio for four years, referenced to a tumblr blog, until it was reverted by Cool Hand Luke in May 2014.

Wikipedia, always improving RFB!

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:48 am

Kinder Surprise (T-H-L)
Kinder Surprise, also known as a Kinder Egg or Kinder Joy or, in the original French, Kinder Sorpresa, is a candy manufactured by Italian company Ferrero. Originally intended for children, it is also popular with adult collectors and has the form of a chocolate egg containing a small toy, often requiring assembly.
The last time I checked, "sorpresa" is an Italian word, not a French word (the correct French word is "surprise"). Earlier revisions stated it as Italian.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am

Johnny Au wrote:Kinder Surprise (T-H-L)
Kinder Surprise, also known as a Kinder Egg or Kinder Joy or, in the original French, Kinder Sorpresa, is a candy manufactured by Italian company Ferrero. Originally intended for children, it is also popular with adult collectors and has the form of a chocolate egg containing a small toy, often requiring assembly.
The last time I checked, "sorpresa" is an Italian word, not a French word (the correct French word is "surprise"). Earlier revisions stated it as Italian.
The amusing thing is, someone also vandalized the company's nationality to say French as well. A user came in and fixed that, but completely missed the claim that sorpresa was French. It's Spanish and Italian, but not French.

EDIT: The claim has been mucked around with a few times; IPs have changed it to Spanish, German. The French claim went in at diff, and the next edit diff removed half of it... why did that user not just check the recent history and undo the edit?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 am

Lukeno94 wrote:why did that user not just check the recent history and undo the edit?
Maybe that's an incredibly subtle piece of vandalism; introduce two errors with a bad hand account and correct one of them with an apparently "good hand" one. Any casual patroller will think that the vandalism is fixed. I've certainly seen that ploy used elsewhere.

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:17 pm

It's entirely possible; the correcting editor hadn't edited since September 2013, when he fixed the vandalism in January 2015.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Last week, I embarked on a vandalism experiment -- using a different IP address each day, I make one edit to one Wikipedia article, inserting some bit of false, but roughly plausible information. Then I check back to see if anyone has reverted me.

So far, not a single reversion.

MoldyHay
Critic
Wikipedia User: many different IPs

Unread post by MoldyHay » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Does anyone other than me find it hilarious that Cow cleaner 5000 (T-C-L) and his sock army have been trying to turn Weekly Shonen Jump (T-H-L) into a terrorist organization for the last 6 months, and that there haven't been many other edits to the article?
UPE on behalf of Big Popcorn :popcorn:

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:17 pm

MoldyHay wrote:Does anyone other than me find it hilarious that Cow cleaner 5000 (T-C-L) and his sock army have been trying to turn Weekly Shonen Jump (T-H-L) into a terrorist organization for the last 6 months, and that there haven't been many other edits to the article?
It was amusing at first, but it's since passed that, and I have to wonder; why the fuck is that idiot still coming out with the same bullshit? Also, semi-protection doesn't seem to be working properly on that article...

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:22 pm

thekohser wrote:Last week, I embarked on a vandalism experiment -- using a different IP address each day, I make one edit to one Wikipedia article, inserting some bit of false, but roughly plausible information. Then I check back to see if anyone has reverted me.

This is the breaching experiment that Karmafist did, to which Jimbo viscerally reacted, "went meatspace" by complaining to his employers in a conscious effort to damage his career prospects.

Karmafist went wrong I think in that he got a bit cocky in some of those edits and put in humorous or absurd information. And that got noticed.

I think as well that if one tried this in heavily-trafficked articles, like current celebrities or landmarks like Taj Mahal or the Queen of England or something like that, one would get busted pretty quickly.

However in medium-relevant or obscure articles that aren't actively developed, one could probably do this a long time, maybe indefinitely if one has access to unconnectable IPS and maybe foils checkuser with a browser/OS impersonation browser add-on.

One could also use the old trick of putting in a misspelling or grammatical error that Wikipedia mindless human drones would notice and correct. When they correct that and click "save" your edit is on its way to being buried and hidden in the article history. It's probably also possible to exploit some article-crawling Wikipedia bot to do this, but one would have to sort all that out technically.

I'm not saying you should be doing this, it's obviously vandalism most foul, but it's a fascinating experiment so I hope you update us on it.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:41 pm

Triptych wrote:
thekohser wrote:Last week, I embarked on a vandalism experiment -- using a different IP address each day, I make one edit to one Wikipedia article, inserting some bit of false, but roughly plausible information. Then I check back to see if anyone has reverted me.

This is the breaching experiment that Karmafist did, to which Jimbo viscerally reacted, "went meatspace" by complaining to his employers in a conscious effort to damage his career prospects.

Karmafist went wrong I think in that he got a bit cocky in some of those edits and put in humorous or absurd information. And that got noticed.
Fuck no. He made hundreds of subtle vandalisms using socks, and many of them were never caught or noticed. What was ALSO happening: he was posting little "Save Wikipedia!" things on the talkpages of new editors. Plus fighting with insiders. Plus threatening to write a book about Wikipedia's internal politics. Silencing KF was easy and effective, because by that time he was a highly-placed operative in the New Hampshire Democratic Party.

That's the Jimbo Way. If screaming and threatening doesn't work, backstab.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm

EricBarbour wrote:That's the Jimbo Way. If screaming and threatening doesn't work, backstab.
And of course he has several pupils *cough* FT2 *cough*.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Triptych wrote:

My employer is probably unafraid of Jimmy Wales.

Regardless, after 30 articles have been tainted, and another 90 days elapse, I will report on the results, and I will restore Wikipedia to its previous perfect state of knowledge management. Thus far, the pages receive anywhere from 3 to 25 page views per day. One page was (in the distant past) of some interest to Jimbo himself, so that one will be particularly interesting to watch.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:21 pm

thekohser wrote:Regardless, after 30 articles have been tainted, and another 90 days elapse, I will report on the results, and I will restore Wikipedia to its previous perfect state of knowledge management. Thus far, the pages receive anywhere from 3 to 25 page views per day. One page was (in the distant past) of some interest to Jimbo himself, so that one will be particularly interesting to watch.
Carry on, and please publish the results. Anyone else could conduct their own experiment using socks -- the more examples that can be accumulated, the better for the primary thesis.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:56 pm

thekohser wrote:I will restore Wikipedia to its previous perfect state of knowledge management.
What are the chances that at least one of the articles will be so altered that you can't just revert your change?

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:33 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Carry on, and please publish the results. Anyone else could conduct their own experiment using socks -- the more examples that can be accumulated, the better for the primary thesis.
If I understand correctly: The advantage with creating named sock accounts (as opposed to raw IP edits) is that the IP information for the named sock accounts is deleted from the WMF servers after 90 days. Whereas of course an IP edit is permanently visible. So if you do this with named sock accounts and get away with it for 90 days, you've gotten away with it forever, unless you've typed something at the userpages or talkpages to connect them.

The Kohser says he's going to do it with a series of distinct IPs.

What kind of made-up crap could one type that will go unchallenged? On the trireme article state that the original Roman engineer specification was 48 meters, but subsequent combat developments necessitated it be reduced to 40. On the photographic film article state there was an alternate early technique by Heinrich Kaufmann in which caramel liquid was used to treat paper sheets for enough transparency to project images, but this technique proved of limited durability, and celluloid then came to the fore. In the list of whales at Cetacea article, insert a fictional type of whale, say a "pygmy green whale (Feresa verdentes)."
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Triptych wrote:What kind of made-up crap could one type that will go unchallenged? On the trireme article state that the original Roman engineer specification was 48 meters, but subsequent combat developments necessitated it be reduced to 40. On the photographic film article state there was an alternate early technique by Heinrich Kaufmann in which caramel liquid was used to treat paper sheets for enough transparency to project images, but this technique proved of limited durability, and celluloid then came to the fore. In the list of whales at Cetacea article, insert a fictional type of whale, say a "pygmy green whale (Feresa verdentes)."
I think I need to meet your "dealer".

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:I will restore Wikipedia to its previous perfect state of knowledge management.
What are the chances that at least one of the articles will be so altered that you can't just revert your change?
100% chance, thus far. One article in my sample was fairly quickly edited by one of its top contributors, shortly after I edited it. He apparently didn't realize that my edit was comprised of bullcrap.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:12 am

thekohser wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
100% chance, thus far. One article in my sample was fairly quickly edited by one of its top contributors, shortly after I edited it. He apparently didn't realize that my edit was comprised of bullcrap.
I'm going to guess it was Montana Secondary Highway 503 (T-H-L)?
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)