Creative Vandalism

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Creative Vandalism

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:40 pm

There was something going on at Marlon Humphrey (T-H-L) and the article has been protected. Additions include: "Marlon’s father is Bengals WR Ja’Marr Chase", "He recently was murdered by NFL Player Ja'Marr Chase", "Son of NFL great, C.J. Uzomah" and "son of bengals rookie WR Jamare Chase".
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:59 pm

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:28 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Schrodinger's cat Milton

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:26 pm

Prompted by an exchange of letters in a local newspaper about Schrödinger's cat, I performed a web search to find out whether Schrödinger ever did own a cat, and, if so what its name was. I was confidently informed by many web sites, including a Facebook page of Physics Today, and a web page of IFLScience that Schrödinger had indeed owned a cat by the name of Milton. Discover magazine wasn't so sure, stating the evidence for Schrodinger's having ever owned a cat as "sketchy at best."

As it happens, the information that Schrödinger had owned a cat called Milton was added to the English Wikipedia article on Schrödinger by this edit in July 2013, and remained in the article until removed by this edit of December 2014 with the comment: "Ref does not support existence of said cat (also p 278 is about 1943 not 1934, according to Google Books); Milton was inserted by a now-banned user; I can find no evidence of Milton that predates the 2013 edit".
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Re: Schrodinger's cat Milton

Unread post by rhindle » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:53 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:26 pm
Prompted by an exchange of letters in a local newspaper about Schrödinger's cat, I performed a web search to find out whether Schrödinger ever did own a cat, and, if so what its name was. I was confidently informed by many web sites, including a Facebook page of Physics Today, and a web page of IFLScience that Schrödinger had indeed owned a cat by the name of Milton. Discover magazine wasn't so sure, stating the evidence for Schrodinger's having ever owned a cat as "sketchy at best."

As it happens, the information that Schrödinger had owned a cat called Milton was added to the English Wikipedia article on Schrödinger by this edit in July 2013, and remained in the article until removed by this edit of December 2014 with the comment: "Ref does not support existence of said cat (also p 278 is about 1943 not 1934, according to Google Books); Milton was inserted by a now-banned user; I can find no evidence of Milton that predates the 2013 edit".
WP:HERPES strikes again.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:56 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:

Remind me again why people trust anything they read on Wikipedia?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:06 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:56 pm
lonza leggiera wrote:

Remind me again why people trust anything they read on Wikipedia?
Lemme get this straight: somebody vandalized Wikipedia a decade ago, which was caught and corrected, and for eight and a half years Wikipedia hasn't had the misinformation. But there are "many websites" still parroting the now-corrected vandalism — and this somehow is an indictment of Wikipedia?

M'kay.

t

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:16 pm

Did Milton invent the toaster?

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:44 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:06 pm
Lemme get this straight: somebody vandalized Wikipedia a decade ago, which was caught and corrected, and for eight and a half years Wikipedia hasn't had the misinformation. But there are "many websites" still parroting the now-corrected vandalism — and this somehow is an indictment of Wikipedia?
Somebody vandalized Wikipedia and the misinformation was there for a year and a half until someone else noticed. Now that vandalism has become a "fact" because people got it from Wikipedia. How is that not an indictment of Wikipedia?

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:16 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:44 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:06 pm
Somebody vandalized Wikipedia and the misinformation was there for a year and a half until someone else noticed. Now that vandalism has become a "fact" because people got it from Wikipedia. How is that not an indictment of Wikipedia?
Pulling the legs of some gullible Wikipedia readers by getting them to accept as fact the (very likely false) belief that Schrödinger had ever owned a cat called Milton isn't something I'd regard even as a misdemeanour, let alone an indictable offence. If the misinformation concerned had been something more like, say, that the ingestion of small amounts of radium had been found to increase the size of one's dangly bits without any detrimental side effects, then that would be a different matter entirely.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:11 am

Really, it's a sort of proof against those "Always Improving™" people who claim that false information on wiki is no big deal if it can be corrected. Sure, on-wiki the damage isn't seen - but that doesn't mean it was un-done.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:45 am

lonza leggiera wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:16 am
If the misinformation concerned had been something more like, say, that the ingestion of small amounts of radium had been found to increase the size of one's dangly bits without any detrimental side effects, then that would be a different matter entirely.
The Dangly Bits would be a good name for a band.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:14 am

casualdejekyll wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:11 am
Really, it's a sort of proof against those "Always Improving™" people who claim that false information on wiki is no big deal if it can be corrected. Sure, on-wiki the damage isn't seen - but that doesn't mean it was un-done.
I mean, the whole reason the Alan MacMasters hoax lasted as long as it did was because gullible journalists had already picked up the claim before the article was even created, when it was just a brief unsourced mention on the toaster article. People who insist that Wikipedia is a reliable source are idiots, but Wikipedia is good in at least one respect: there are generally citations that you can check. Any claim on Wikipedia that lacks a citation should be taken with a large grain of salt. Being critical and sceptical is not just good advice for reading Wikipedia, but most sources really.

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:45 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:14 am
casualdejekyll wrote:
I mean, the whole reason the Alan MacMasters hoax lasted as long as it did was because gullible journalists had already picked up the claim before the article was even created, when it was just a brief unsourced mention on the toaster article. People who insist that Wikipedia is a reliable source are idiots, but Wikipedia is good in at least one respect: there are generally citations that you can check. Any claim on Wikipedia that lacks a citation should be taken with a large grain of salt. Being critical and sceptical is not just good advice for reading Wikipedia, but most sources really.
You can check citations all you want - sort of irrelevant when citogenesis occurs.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:55 am

casualdejekyll wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:45 am
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:14 am
casualdejekyll wrote:
You can check citations all you want - sort of irrelevant when citogenesis occurs.
Sure, but you can check the web, and if the only sources are relatively recent and don't provide any deeper sourcing for the claim, then it's reasonable to assume citogenesis.