Creative Vandalism

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Creative Vandalism

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 pm

tarantino wrote:Not real creative but this addition to No Kyung-tae (T-H-L) has lasted three years and four months.
But no more. Another triumph for this site!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Tue May 05, 2015 7:38 am

Here's one I found earlier today, in the bollocks (T-H-L) article, aptly enough. Completely bogus, of course. It stayed there almost four years ...
-- Allie

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Alison wrote:Here's one I found earlier today, in the bollocks (T-H-L) article, aptly enough. Completely bogus, of course. It stayed there almost four years ...
Surely "complete bollocks" rather than "completely bogus"? :D Great find.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 am

Wakefield (band) (T-H-L)

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =664070940
It is believed the band have split up, because they're a bunch of lazy assholes, yet their Facebook page is still active.
I don't know if I'm more aghast at the BLP violation, the use of "have" instead of "has," or the fact that assholes cannot literally be lazy. :angry:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 am

The Joy wrote:Wakefield (band) (T-H-L)
It is believed the band have split up, because they're a bunch of lazy assholes, yet their Facebook page is still active.
the use of "have" instead of "has,"
I think that would depend on whether you're talking about "the band" as an object (has), or as a collective of people; its members (have). So it could be correct.
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 am

Peryglus wrote:
The Joy wrote:Wakefield (band) (T-H-L)
the use of "have" instead of "has,"
I think that would depend on whether you're talking about "the band" as an object (has), or as a collective of people; its members (have). So it could be correct.
If you say "the band has", you'd then have to say "because it consisted of a bunch" or similar wording. :mellow:

Zironic
Gregarious

Unread post by Zironic » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:28 pm

I'm not sure what I find more amusing, this edit that attempted to correct the sentence while leaving in the BLP violation or this edit that removed the BLP violation while noting it couldn't find a reliable source for the split up.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 am

Zironic wrote:I'm not sure what I find more amusing, this edit that attempted to correct the sentence while leaving in the BLP violation or this edit that removed the BLP violation while noting it couldn't find a reliable source for the split up.
It amazes me what editors miss. It took awhile for me to notice the "lazy assholes" sentence. Things like that get buried in edits and I don't have a reason why that happens. I guess we focus on the forest rather than the trees, so to speak?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:31 am

Another delicacy Sabans enjoy is known as cabeza de frijoles, a traditional bean dish served mixed with the boiled brain of monkeys indigenous to the island.
From Saba (T-H-L)

Added by an IP at the University of Virginia, just before User:Seesaw17 added "The people of Saba have a great disdain for the American rock band known as the Grateful Dead." If the bit about monkey brain is true and documented, I'll donate a buck to the Wikimedia Foundation.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:21 am

thekohser wrote:
Another delicacy Sabans enjoy is known as cabeza de frijoles, a traditional bean dish served mixed with the boiled brain of monkeys indigenous to the island.
From Saba (T-H-L)

Added by an IP at the University of Virginia, just before User:Seesaw17 added "The people of Saba have a great disdain for the American rock band known as the Grateful Dead." If the bit about monkey brain is true and documented, I'll donate a buck to the Wikimedia Foundation.
In this inventory of Saban wildlife, bats are the only mammals listed as indigenous, and no monkeys at all are mentioned, either as indigenous or introduced, so the Wikimedia Foundation would appear to be in some danger of failing to benefit from your largesse.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:24 am

thekohser wrote:
From Saba (T-H-L)
At the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, the IP 137.54.11.16 (T-C-L) contributed the monkey-brain factoid diff:
Cuisine
Sabans enjoy a variety of traditional dishes, many of which having Dutch and Spanish roots. A traditional spin on a pea soup, known as jerwtensoep, is a fussion[sic.] of traditional dutch[sic.] Pea_soup#Netherlands (T-H-L) (erwtensoep) with the addition of local Caribbean spices. Another delicacy Sabans enjoy is known as cabeza de frijoles, a traditional bean dish served mixed with the boiled brain of monkeys indigenous to the island.
My Google search failed to find any evidence of monkeys on Saba, which has Dutch and English as languages.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:47 am

I just deleted a redirect titled "What's grosser than sweat on Olivia Newton John?" The target: Come on Eileen (T-H-L). Sigh.... <_<

It was created in 2007 by an editor called Ewlyahoocom (T-C-L), who evidently liked 1980s jokes and, by the state of their user talk page, creating prank redirects.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Hex wrote:I just deleted a redirect titled "What's grosser than sweat on Olivia Newton John?" The target: Come on Eileen (T-H-L). Sigh.... <_<

It was created in 2007 by an editor called Ewlyahoocom (T-C-L), who evidently liked 1980s jokes and, by the state of their user talk page, creating prank redirects.
Good; Wikipedia continues to improve!

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:37 am

''[cetacean needed]''.

That lasted for almost three years. Now the wikipediaweekly nerds are reverting to keep it in the article.

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:37 pm

It's not creative, but this vandalism was added to Capricorn (astrology) (T-H-L) on 3 September 2015 and is still there today (16 November 2015) in this version of the article..

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Carcharoth wrote:It's not creative, but this vandalism was added to Capricorn (astrology) (T-H-L) on 3 September 2015 and is still there today (16 November 2015) in this version of the article..
By coincidence or otherwise, immediately after that vandalism a different IP did some different vandalism which has been reverted. That caused this vandalism to be overlooked.

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:It's not creative, but this vandalism was added to Capricorn (astrology) (T-H-L) on 3 September 2015 and is still there today (16 November 2015) in this version of the article..
By coincidence or otherwise, immediately after that vandalism a different IP did some different vandalism which has been reverted. That caused this vandalism to be overlooked.
Yes, that is very common in those looking only at the last edit and not checking the edit history. BTW, the vandalism I pointed out has been fixed now.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
Poetlister wrote:By coincidence or otherwise, immediately after that vandalism a different IP did some different vandalism which has been reverted. That caused this vandalism to be overlooked.
Yes, that is very common in those looking only at the last edit and not checking the edit history. BTW, the vandalism I pointed out has been fixed now.
I wonder how often that technique has been used by vandals, and how often it has been successful.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Thank you Facebook's "on this day" feature for reminding me of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =461577952

MoldyHay
Critic
Wikipedia User: many different IPs

Unread post by MoldyHay » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:43 am

I'm not sure why, but I can't stop laughing at this (courtesy of ANI):

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =691070920

Another good one from the same editor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =690793000
Last edited by Hex on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added url tags to prevent "&"s confusing phpBB
UPE on behalf of Big Popcorn :popcorn:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:27 am

MoldyHay wrote:I'm not sure why, but I can't stop laughing at this ...
Would be more funny if they lasted longer than 4 minutes.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 pm

thekohser wrote:
The first one lasted 95 minutes. This chap is very imaginative.

MoldyHay
Critic
Wikipedia User: many different IPs

Unread post by MoldyHay » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:
The first one lasted 95 minutes. This chap is very imaginative.
It probably would have lasted longer if the guy hadn't gotten his start by making homophobic comments. By the time he started being funny, he already had a lot of eyes on him.
UPE on behalf of Big Popcorn :popcorn:

Ihatemyusername
Critic
Wikipedia User: Bosstopher
Actual Name: another pseudonym/a pen name

Unread post by Ihatemyusername » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:21 am

Not sure if it's that creative but some pedo IP successfully vandalised an article in a gross way, by pretending they were reverting vandalism.

So over the course of 3 days an article in which 13 year old Maddie Ziegler was described as "the prettiest girl in the world who got hit by pubes like a truck" was viewed almost 3000 times. This in one of Wikipedia's quality assured Good Articles.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Ihatemyusername wrote:Not sure if it's that creative but some pedo IP successfully vandalised an article in a gross way, by pretending they were reverting vandalism.

So over the course of 3 days an article in which 13 year old Maddie Ziegler was described as "the prettiest girl in the world who got hit by pubes like a truck" was viewed almost 3000 times. This in one of Wikipedia's quality assured Good Articles.
That's why, even if they won't allow pending revisions on every article, it should be applied at least to GAs if the GA label is supposed to be takenn seriously.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:08 am

Trolling, and yet somehow....

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:36 pm

Ming wrote:Trolling, and yet somehow....
It's not a ridiculous point. Yet it only lasted two minutes and the editor was permablocked by Materialscientist. :sad:

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:53 am

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:36 am

These two paragraphs were inserted into American cheese (T-H-L) in 2009 and lasted for 6 years.
The 1942 U.S. restriction to American Cheese

During the summer months of 1942, U.S. officials imposed severe restrictions on cheese consumption as a wartime conservation measure[10]. These restrictions disallowed the sale or consumption of all types of cheese other than American Cheese. This was due to a combination of factors: paucity of availability of cheese from continental Europe, abundance of the American variety, and the need to encourage wartime patriotism among citizens. The ban took effect on May 4th, 1942.

The public response to the ban was immediate and noticeable. Importers of British cheese claimed that it damaged morale in both countries, and represented a lack of solidarity in the war effort on the part of the USA. For these reasons and others, the ban was rescinded without opposition on August 1st, 1942.[11]
They were removed by an IP after it was mentioned on twitter. It had been removed once before by Cheesecorrector (T-C-L), but was restored by Pm1902 (T-C-L) several weeks later.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:32 am

tarantino wrote:These two paragraphs were inserted into American cheese (T-H-L) in 2009 and lasted for 6 years.
It's polluted the Internet now. Including Quora.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 pm

The Joy wrote:Alas! The Byzantine army (T-H-L) has no heart anymore. :crying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =705452737
I can't see a heart in the previous version of the article. The IP in fact altered Byzantine" to "Byzaine" (indeed removing its heart) and put a false edit summary.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 am

Poetlister wrote:
The Joy wrote:Alas! The Byzantine army (T-H-L) has no heart anymore. :crying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =705452737
I can't see a heart in the previous version of the article. The IP in fact altered Byzantine" to "Byzaine" (indeed removing its heart) and put a false edit summary.
At the very end on the previous edit, you see it at the end.
After the death of Manuel I Komnenos in 1180, the Angeloi had not lavished the same care on the military as the Komneni had done, and the result was that these structural weakness began to manifest themselves in military decline. From 1185 on, Byzantine emperors found it increasingly difficult to muster and pay for sufficient military forces, while their incompetence exposed the limitations of the entire Byzantine military system, dependent as it was on competent personal direction from the emperor. The culmination of the empire's military disintegration under the Angeloi was reached on 13 April 1204, when the armies of the [[Fourth Crusade]] sacked Constantinople.<3
Personally, I always thought "<3" looked like buttocks.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:16 am

The Joy wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
After the death of Manuel I Komnenos in 1180, the Angeloi had not lavished the same care on the military as the Komneni had done, and the result was that these structural weakness began to manifest themselves in military decline. From 1185 on, Byzantine emperors found it increasingly difficult to muster and pay for sufficient military forces, while their incompetence exposed the limitations of the entire Byzantine military system, dependent as it was on competent personal direction from the emperor. The culmination of the empire's military disintegration under the Angeloi was reached on 13 April 1204, when the armies of the [[Fourth Crusade]] sacked Constantinople.<3
Personally, I always thought "<3" looked like buttocks.
When I first saw it, I thought it was a dick and balls.

I <3 YOU had an entirely different meaning...

RfB

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:43 am

Good thing emojis haven't invaded Wikipedia yet (especially articles that don't pertain to modern forms of visual communication).

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:55 am

Johnny Au wrote:Good thing emojis haven't invaded Wikipedia yet (especially articles that don't pertain to modern forms of visual communication).
Emoji (T-H-L)
The English-language Wikipedia generally offers emoji article titles as redirects where the object of the emoji can be linked to one specific Wikipedia page. For example, the article titled (green apple) redirects to the Wikipedia article on apples.
Note: the green apple emoji caused the board's SQL to explode. May want to take a look at that, mods/staff.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:44 am

The Joy wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Good thing emojis haven't invaded Wikipedia yet (especially articles that don't pertain to modern forms of visual communication).
Emoji (T-H-L)
The English-language Wikipedia generally offers emoji article titles as redirects where the object of the emoji can be linked to one specific Wikipedia page. For example, the article titled (green apple) redirects to the Wikipedia article on apples.
Note: the green apple emoji caused the board's SQL to explode. May want to take a look at that, mods/staff.
Those emoji characters are not in the allowable character set. They are their own thing: linkhttp://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/EmojiSources.txt[/link]

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:39 pm

I have a bit of creative vandalism tucked deep in a lengthy Wikipedia article. It's a rather silly claim that a major company teamed up with a couple of very minor companies to engage in a (fictional) trans-Atlantic yacht race with a quite foolish name. There's even a photo of a yacht sailing under the banner of the major corporation, and with the magic of photo editing, I added logos on the mainsail for the very minor companies, too.

It has been nearly six months now, with over 130,000 page views. Nobody has challenged this zany yacht race -- not even any PR or communications staff from the major company (which has about $30 billion in annual revenues).

My question is... do I just let it fester, or should I let the cat out of the bag? Alternatively, I could keep dropping clues here until someone finds the evil deed. What do Wikipediocracians think?

SneakySasha
Contributor

Unread post by SneakySasha » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:13 pm

thekohser wrote:I have a bit of creative vandalism tucked deep in a lengthy Wikipedia article. It's a rather silly claim that a major company teamed up with a couple of very minor companies to engage in a (fictional) trans-Atlantic yacht race with a quite foolish name. There's even a photo of a yacht sailing under the banner of the major corporation, and with the magic of photo editing, I added logos on the mainsail for the very minor companies, too.

It has been nearly six months now, with over 130,000 page views. Nobody has challenged this zany yacht race -- not even any PR or communications staff from the major company (which has about $30 billion in annual revenues).

My question is... do I just let it fester, or should I let the cat out of the bag? Alternatively, I could keep dropping clues here until someone finds the evil deed. What do Wikipediocracians think?
I always appreciate clever vandalism on Wikipedia so I say leave it.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:09 am

Perhaps you can keep it and try to break the record for longest-lasting hoax.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Perhaps you can keep it and try to break the record for longest-lasting hoax.
We'll never know what the longest-lasting hoax is. For all we know, there's a very clever one that's been lying undetected sonce 2005 or even before.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:45 am

Poor Ceoil (T-C-L) was briefly the current U.S. Presidential election. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =708545557

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:30 am

The Joy wrote:Poor Ceoil (T-C-L) was briefly the current U.S. Presidential election. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =708545557
There are several bits of vandalism within that article, such as captioning the picture of Hillary as "Bill Clinton II" (possibly justifiable of course) and Sanders as "Communist".

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:26 pm

It is a user page and it is rarely kept in check. One could put a userbox saying "This user is the ruler of the universe. Bow down before him/her!" and no one would care much.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Johnny Au wrote:It is a user page and it is rarely kept in check. One could put a userbox saying "This user is the ruler of the universe. Bow down before him/her!" and no one would care much.
I follow a few talk pages, so am automatically following the user pages too. If any of those were vandalised, I should certainly revert the vandalism.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:58 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:It is a user page and it is rarely kept in check. One could put a userbox saying "This user is the ruler of the universe. Bow down before him/her!" and no one would care much.
I follow a few talk pages, so am automatically following the user pages too. If any of those were vandalised, I should certainly revert the vandalism.
That is an exception. User pages should be reverted if it is obviously vandalized (such as page blanking or misrepresenting the user's personal views).

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
That is an exception. User pages should be reverted if it is obviously vandalized (such as page blanking or misrepresenting the user's personal views).
Yes, that vandalism was pretty obvious. I'm not sure it was creative, so it might be off topic.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:29 am

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Yes, that vandalism was pretty obvious. I'm not sure it was creative, so it might be off topic.
More "weird" than "creative," I'll admit. Mea culpa.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:25 pm

This edit to Michael Doleac's bio lasted almost three days.

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:17 am

If I may toot my own horn: this here looks pretty good. It's probably not the most original concept, but, hey, it stayed up for...well, three minutes, but over a half an hour after my first edit. (I tweaked it a bit.) As you can tell, Bongwarrior doesn't like it one bit!

trout
Regular
Wikipedia User: Don City Break

Unread post by trout » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:26 am

Shuaybster (T-C-L) claimed to have invented a World War One plane in this edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =464816941

This misinformation has been there for four years.