Creative Vandalism

The Joy
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Creative Vandalism

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... pabilities

I have not laughed so hard at Wikipedia vandalism in such a long time. It made me happy! :lol:

Well played, IP, well-played! :applause: :applause: :applause:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Creative Vandalism

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =549790643

Spoilsports - it only lasted about two hours.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 am

I love creative vandals. First thing I thought of when I saw this thread was this epic rewriting of the description for a Weebl's Stuff cartoon by the aptly named vandal Equine-fiddler.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 am

It's gone now, but my absolute all-time favorite was last month, when someone uploaded a copy of Vlad the Impaler (T-H-L)'s portrait to Commons that was identical in all respects to the original - except it was animated. After twenty seconds or so, his eyes, which had been looking to the side, suddenly moved to look at you. So you wouldn't see anything when opening the article; the movement would happen out of the corner of your eye, startling you while you were reading. Or you might not notice the movement, but when you scrolled back to where the picture was, it was subtly different somehow to when you first saw it, and you couldn't be sure why. It lasted a whole week. Beautiful pranking, including the careful way it was executed (look at If5tatement (T-C-L) and see if you can work out what's going on... I still can't).
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 am

And my all-time favourite:
After abandoning his work as a school teacher, Wittgenstein worked as a gardener's assistant in a monastery near Vienna. He was twice forced to pay fines for misuse of strychnine, which he used to control squirrels around the garden.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =170386199
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 pm

The Joy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... pabilities

I have not laughed so hard at Wikipedia vandalism in such a long time. It made me happy! :lol:

Well played, IP, well-played! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Ha, brilliant.

One of the funniest bits of creative vandalism I've ever seen is when someone edited a puff piece on an ambulance company (bolded text added by the vandal):
Action Ambulance equips their ambulances with [[GPS]] technology to locate the closest, most appropriate ambulance to respond to an emergency. No other ambulance company in the state of Massachusetts uses GPS technology as of 1998.

== Vehicles ==
Action Ambulance utilizes thirty-four Class I ambulances, some of which are licensed by the State of Massachusetts at the highest level of patient care and transportation. Action Ambulance also have two Class V response vehicles which are licensed by the State of Massachusetts as a limited care non-transporting vehicle, ten unmanned wheelchair drones, one wheelchair accessible passenger "party" bus, one Multiple Emergency Response Vehicle (MERV) which is licensed by the State of Massachusetts as a response vehicle utilized to provide additional support and supplies, a thirty-bike fleet of specialized [[Ducati} motorcycles, a fully-functioning combat-ready helicopter, two All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s) and one trailer which is used to transport equipment. The wheels on all of Action EMS's vehicles of are the highest quality, and almost never fall off during emergency responses.
Those are just a couple of the dozen or so additions by that (now blocked) editor.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:28 am

Found this in a Quora thread.

[edit: linked Quora thread]

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:56 pm

They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:39 am

There is this one time when an IP "fixed" the article on the band Modest Mouse (T-H-L) by replacing its contents with the contents of the article on Mighty Mouse (T-H-L).

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic
Wikipedia User: Woden.Ragnarok

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am

User Sstteevvee (T-C-L) recieved an indefinite ban for this edit. But surely that's factually accurate - a tracking device embedded in his buttocks would only ever track "his ass". If he were to lose a cheek in some sort of accident the tracking device would still detect his Ass but not him...
-- Woden "A wise king never seeks out war, but he must always be ready for it." Ragnarok

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:06 am

Hex wrote:It's gone now, but my absolute all-time favorite was last month, when someone uploaded a copy of Vlad the Impaler (T-H-L)'s portrait to Commons that was identical in all respects to the original - except it was animated. After twenty seconds or so, his eyes, which had been looking to the side, suddenly moved to look at you. So you wouldn't see anything when opening the article; the movement would happen out of the corner of your eye, startling you while you were reading. Or you might not notice the movement, but when you scrolled back to where the picture was, it was subtly different somehow to when you first saw it, and you couldn't be sure why. It lasted a whole week. Beautiful pranking, including the careful way it was executed (look at If5tatement (T-C-L) and see if you can work out what's going on... I still can't).
I thought this was brilliant, so I created a comparable gif and uploaded it to the same location. Ostensibly its for the purposes of my user-page, but it should mean the February 10th diff will work again (but I'm not vandalising the article to make it current) - It's set to 10 seconds since there were comments about 20 being too long.
-- Woden "A wise king never seeks out war, but he must always be ready for it." Ragnarok

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Every April 1, there are skirmishes at the Animal rights article.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Woden.Ragnarok wrote: I thought this was brilliant, so I created a comparable gif and uploaded it to the same location. Ostensibly its for the purposes of my user-page, but it should mean the February 10th diff will work again (but I'm not vandalising the article to make it current) - It's set to 10 seconds since there were comments about 20 being too long.
That's a bit more than "comparable", don't you think? :)

Filling in file gaps in the history with new files with the same name... hmm. That's an interesting bit of creative rule-bending, well done.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Woden.Ragnarok wrote:User Sstteevvee (T-C-L) recieved an indefinite ban for this edit. But surely that's factually accurate - a tracking device embedded in his buttocks would only ever track "his ass". If he were to lose a cheek in some sort of accident the tracking device would still detect his Ass but not him...
This is odd, because this account was created in 2006, and the contributions from it were fine, until last year. It seems that the account is compromised, or its owner is disillusioned with Wikipedia and has taken to vandalizing it.

This response on his talk page seems to indicate that the user no longer cares about Wikipedia. The fact that the comment is not signed might indicate the account is compromised:
Thanks, Tom. I'll probably do it again, though. Because I can't resist. If my rights get suspended, so be it.

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Hex wrote:
Woden.Ragnarok wrote: I thought this was brilliant, so I created a comparable gif and uploaded it to the same location. Ostensibly its for the purposes of my user-page, but it should mean the February 10th diff will work again (but I'm not vandalising the article to make it current) - It's set to 10 seconds since there were comments about 20 being too long.
That's a bit more than "comparable", don't you think? :)

Filling in file gaps in the history with new files with the same name... hmm. That's an interesting bit of creative rule-bending, well done.

I never saw the original, but some comments implied it was weirder than just eyes moving - I used creative license to guess what. Considered asking for an undelete given consensus wasn't for delete. A reason for keeping could be an example of paintings worth moving eyes. Wonder if I could get that diff copied to the WP namespace or across to meta as an article? Slightly pissed off with Feydey templating me within minutes of upload while I was trying to sort the metadata.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Woden.Ragnarok wrote:
I never saw the original, but some comments implied it was weirder than just eyes moving - I used creative license to guess what.
I'm not sure where those comments were, but it was literally a GIF with two frames. The long delay and consequent difficulty of noticing the movement was the clever part.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Hex wrote:
Woden.Ragnarok wrote:I'm not sure where those comments were, but it was literally a GIF with two frames. The long delay and consequent difficulty of noticing the movement was the clever part.
Reddit thread about the .gif

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Oh. Reddit.

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Hex wrote:
Woden.Ragnarok wrote:
I never saw the original, but some comments implied it was weirder than just eyes moving - I used creative license to guess what.
I'm not sure where those comments were, but it was literally a GIF with two frames. The long delay and consequent difficulty of noticing the movement was the clever part.
I see that now, I'll try and see if I can get a shortened copy uploaded.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Woden.Ragnarok wrote:
Hex wrote:
Woden.Ragnarok wrote:
I see that now, I'll try and see if I can get a shortened copy uploaded.

I think this would make an EXCELLENT avatar photo.

Here's the gif in question in an editor format.
http://gif-explode.com/?explode=http:// ... es_002.gif
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:43 pm

[quote="Vigilant]
I think this would make an EXCELLENT avatar photo.
[/quote]

Sadly Beyond my Ken and Feydey disagree. With BMK advising me I shouldn't upload Joke images - suprising given images like File:Albrecht Altdorfer.jpg (T-H-L) have been up there for years.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Someone just appeared on my home town's page with this..
"Boscombe is the second most deprived place in the world , after Botswana"
It was the misplaced comma that gave him away. Who would utter such slander? None other than Jools "Hood" Green, the notorious leader of the ABZ gang. Uh oh.. Better be careful in approaching this scary sounding gangster..

Quick look on facebook just to check who I'm dealing with here. Oh good lord.. What have I [b]done[/b]???

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Smiley wrote:Someone just appeared on my home town's page with this..
It was the misplaced comma that gave him away. Who would utter such slander? None other than Jools "Hood" Green, the notorious leader of the ABZ gang. Uh oh.. Better be careful in approaching this scary sounding gangster..

Quick look on facebook just to check who I'm dealing with here. Oh good lord.. What have I [b]done[/b]???
Is that the sound of Demiurge1000 drooling?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Smiley wrote:Someone just appeared on my home town's page with this..

Is that the sound of Demiurge1000 drooling?

"Hello, little boy."
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:03 pm

The Joy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =558808481
Greg is the Invisible Man?
Blocked by NYB ten minutes later. Yeah, that's really "improving the encyclopedia", Ira.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Co ... ageandhide

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:18 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Blocked by NYB ten minutes later. Yeah, that's really "improving the encyclopedia", Ira.
That's actually Johnny the Vandal/JtV/Italian Vandal. I took a peek.
-- Allie

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:51 am

Alison wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Doesn't that guy ever give up, or even take a vacation??

(And for further dramatic effect, I wish he'd write up his Wikipedia editing history for me,
so we can have something about one of WP's most persistent "comedians". The records
are a mess, those that I can see anyway.)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 am

Alison wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Brilliant work, if you ask me. I hope he returns -- but not so frequently as to get the biography semi-protected.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:07 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Newyorkbrad says the indef. is for "trolling on a BLP." "Trolling" is not a policy (or guideline) basis, is it? The term "troll" or "trolling" does not occur at WP:BLP. It's more of an Internet insult, used in an uncivil or belittling way, is typically resisted by the target, and is not a precise term at all. Beyond that the image addition was not "trolling" at all in my view.

I would expect NYB to adhere to policy in doing his no-warn indefs. or at least to feign a policy basis to mask his personal irritation. He could possibly have called attention to WP:BLP's section on "verifiability" i.e. were those really Greg Kohs' glasses?

The edit was obviously mere humor and whomever it was would not have quarreled with a simple revert. With the block we see again an heavy-handed and carefree use of administrative tools without regard to policy.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Triptych wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Newyorkbrad says the indef. is for "trolling on a BLP." "Trolling" is not a policy (or guideline) basis, is it? The term "troll" or "trolling" does not occur at WP:BLP. It's more of an Internet insult, used in an uncivil or belittling way, is typically resisted by the target, and is not a precise term at all. Beyond that the image addition was not "trolling" at all in my view.

I would expect NYB to adhere to policy in doing his no-warn indefs. or at least to feign a policy basis to mask his personal irritation. He could possibly have called attention to WP:BLP's section on "verifiability" i.e. were those really Greg Kohs' glasses?

The edit was obviously mere humor and whomever it was would not have quarreled with a simple revert. With the block we see again an heavy-handed and carefree use of administrative tools without regard to policy.
Yet more reason for an administrative control committee, content review boards, and an elected assembly. Consensus only works in local article-content decisions that are not polarized, and has little chance of succeeding anywhere else. The idiocy of putting forth an RfC on content after the Muhammad images case was monumental—such a referendum would merely create the opportunity for another ArbCom case.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Triptych wrote:With the block we see again an heavy-handed and carefree use of administrative tools without regard to policy.
So, what's new?

(I'm likin' this Triptych guy.)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 am

Wer900 wrote:The idiocy of putting forth an RfC on content after the Muhammad images case was monumental—such a referendum would merely create the opportunity for another ArbCom case.
Well, it quietened the discussions down, so in that sense it was a success.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 am

Woden.Ragnarok
Critic

Unread post by Woden.Ragnarok » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:55 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =340694951

This one was perpetrated by Comedian/Singer Joe Dolce (T-H-L) (he even outs himself on Anna Lincoln's talkpage.)

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 am

This isn't exactly vandalism, but it's the most bizarre conspiracy theory I've ever seen someone advocate at Wikipedia, involving the 1994 video game Super Metroid (T-H-L).
== the odd Level and enemy names ==

am I the only one who thinks that Kraid looks like Kermit?
A green frog.
The inventor of Kermit, Jim Henson, died from AIDS.
Note: krAID'S lair, contains AIDS and liar.
Kermit contains the letters for "krem", the German word for cream when you use the old spelling.
Krebs is the German word for cancer. It starts with "KR", just like Kraid.
Maridia lacks only two letters and then you get mare and India. Sea and India.
When you think of India, you'll probably associate it with curry. And the German word for sea is "Meer".
So you'd come up with "Mercury", just like Freddy Mercury, who had died from AIDS about the time Super Metroid was released.
When you rearrange the letters of Norfair, you get "Air Fron", like "air front".
When I hear "Mother Brain", I think of brain dura mater. Mater also is the latin word for Matrix.
Think about the word "dura" one letter up it's "evsb", which contains "BSE", and another letter up following the alphabet it's fwtc, which contains "WTC".
I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with that and that it aren't just my paranoid delusions.
The Nintendo developers picked those names with intention because they knew something special.
The same person also is evidently a 9/11 denier. Not a 9/11 truther, a 9/11 denier; i.e. they think the attacks were faked.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:59 am

Captain Occam wrote:This isn't exactly vandalism, but it's the most bizarre conspiracy theory I've ever seen someone advocate at Wikipedia, involving the 1994 video game Super Metroid (T-H-L).
That one's intense enough to put in our "mentally ill" article. I only wish he'd done more work on WP, for the yuks.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 pm

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:46 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =600687462

I tried to read this. I didn't get a computer virus, but I did unleash a demon from the Necronomicon. :twilightzone:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:34 pm

The Joy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =600687462

I tried to read this. I didn't get a computer virus, but I did unleash a demon from the Necronomicon. :twilightzone:
Looks like the work of Jimbo's friend, "Mr. 2001".

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I wonder whether turning AN/I into a page of gibberish was intended as some sort of commentary on that noticeboard's value. Did that edit make it any less productive a place for discussion than it had been before?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Captain Occam wrote:I wonder whether turning AN/I into a page of gibberish was intended as some sort of commentary on that noticeboard's value.
AN/I is virtually always a page of gibberish to me. But I never was good at Wikijargon, and it's gotten much denser since I left.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:59 pm

I was always a fan of the hoax article on the Upper Peninsula War Wikipedia:List of hoaxes on Wikipedia/Upper Peninsula War (T-H-L)

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Captain Occam wrote:I wonder whether turning AN/I into a page of gibberish was intended as some sort of commentary on that noticeboard's value.
AN/I is virtually always a page of gibberish to me. But I never was good at Wikijargon, and it's gotten much denser since I left.
Yes, when has it not been a page of gibberish. My favorites are the admin-wanna bes.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:51 am

a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:39 am

Saved a screenshot. Thanks, hilarious.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:23 am

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 am

Chihiro number was pretty good.
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

greyed.out.fields wrote:Chihiro number was pretty good.
Yeah - DYK is a great public service, bringing this knowledge to the world.
Read the subsection below that, too, for added flailing around and gnashing of teeth. Wrong forum - ah, well...:D