Featured Articles and the Cult of the Amateur

iii
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Featured Articles and the Cult of the Amateur

Unread post by iii » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Since my last complaint about When God Writes Your Love Story (T-H-L), I went over to that website and tried to see where teh communitah would go if I harped on the problem. The response to my concerns varied, but what I found most interesting was the slavish commitment to the sacred status of "featured articles". The opinion seems to be that this article has to remain featured for 3 to 6 months at minimum.

The bureaucracy cannot even abide by review, apparently, which is considered a "drastic step", according to the cognoscenti associated with promoting featured articles.

This made me wonder whether the faithful would be up to a proposal to institute some sort of expert review. As might be expected, my ill-considered attempts to adjust structures to accommodate such were generally met with more resistance. The most telling comment was this one:
Expert review failed because it is not the way wikipedia works, ever has worked, or ever will work probably.
I think I agree.

The Rita Mae Brown definition of insanity applies to me.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Re: Featured Articles and the Cult of the Amateur

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 pm

iii wrote:Since my last complaint about When God Writes Your Love Story (T-H-L), I went over to that website and tried to see where teh communitah would go if I harped on the problem. The response to my concerns varied, but what I found most interesting was the slavish commitment to the sacred status of "featured articles". The opinion seems to be that this article has to remain featured for 3 to 6 months at minimum.

The bureaucracy cannot even abide by review, apparently, which is considered a "drastic step", according to the cognoscenti associated with promoting featured articles.

This made me wonder whether the faithful would be up to a proposal to institute some sort of expert review. As might be expected, my ill-considered attempts to adjust structures to accommodate such were generally met with more resistance. The most telling comment was this one:
Expert review failed because it is not the way wikipedia works, ever has worked, or ever will work probably.
I think I agree.

I don't know anything about physics. Headbomb is Gaëtan Landry, yes? http://www.dal.ca/faculty/agriculture/e ... staff.html

What exactly is a physics lab instructor?
The average salary for physics lab instructor jobs is $47,000. Average physics lab instructor salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits.
http://www.simplyhired.com/salaries-k-p ... -jobs.html
That's a good, well-qualified job, no?
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
iii wrote:Since my last complaint about When God Writes Your Love Story (T-H-L), I went over to that website and tried to see where teh communitah would go if I harped on the problem. The response to my concerns varied, but what I found most interesting was the slavish commitment to the sacred status of "featured articles". The opinion seems to be that this article has to remain featured for 3 to 6 months at minimum.

I think I agree.

I don't know anything about physics. Headbomb is Gaëtan Landry, yes? http://www.dal.ca/faculty/agriculture/e ... staff.html

What exactly is a physics lab instructor?
The average salary for physics lab instructor jobs is $47,000. Average physics lab instructor salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits.
http://www.simplyhired.com/salaries-k-p ... -jobs.html
That's a good, well-qualified job, no?
http://www.dal.ca/faculty/agriculture/f ... ampus.html
"After completing his B.Sc. in 2006, he continued on, with his Master’s degree, also at the Université de Moncton. Currently he is working on his Master’s specializing in theoretical particle physics".

They also highlight his wikipedia career and job at PediaPress, (which looks kind of dead right now, judging from their Facebook and Twitter accounts).

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 am

The book wiki has some rather unpleasant things to say about Mr. Landry......and that's all I'll say on the subject.