What about Beeblebub?

roger_pearse
Regular
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Roger Pearse

Re: What about Beeblebub?

Unread post by roger_pearse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 am

Midsize Jake wrote:The lack of an opt-out policy for BLPs, on the other hand, might ultimately lead to legislation and various other forms of governmental interference affecting the entire internet that could easily threaten WPs existence...
It was Wikileaks, in the end, that triggered that wave of legislating and controlling, all over the world. Something that was merely a nuisance was one thing; but something that threatened all the people in power was quite another, and was bound to lead to the creation of the infrastructure to control what appeared on the web.

Once this exists - and it is coming into existence right now -, we will get thorough censorship. The laws will be passed "to protect children". Once the laws exist, they will be broadened, "to prevent hate", and thereby a whole system of censorship of opinion brought into place.

Thanks, Wikileaks: we had freedom of speech online until you decided to screw things up.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:Back in January 2007 on WR, in a thread that touched on the question of which BLP subjects should be eligible for opt-out - and how many of them actually would - I theorized that only about 150-200 BLP articles would be deleted within the first year under a "reasonable" opt-out policy. At that time I vaguely recall that there were only about 150,000 BLPs, and my assumption was that about 1 percent of subjects didn't want the articles to exist, and about 10 percent of that 1 percent would actually take action to get them deleted.
In the wake of the Jim Hawkins debate, I floated the idea of BLP opt-out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... ut_for_all

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Triptych wrote:I welcome the criticism and am glad you found my interpretation humorous, however I think I stand by it.
Actually, I didn't state that clearly - I wasn't criticizing you, I was criticizing the reaction to the suggestion (by Mr. Zoloft) that Mr. Beeblebum's anonymity should be "destroyed," which was hysterical not in the funny-ha-ha sense but in the "OMG STALKERS!!!!!!" sense (i.e., actual hysteria). What you initially wrote was perfectly reasonable.

There was a time when I thought that fear of identity-exposure might actually cause significant numbers of Wikipedians to at least think about the ways their activities were affecting real people, and if they thought about them they would almost certainly conclude that our position was the right one, and the only logical course. Later, I learned (or at least read) more about narcissism and sociopathy, and realized that fear of exposure would have essentially no effect on them - if fear is the instrument to be used, it almost has to be fear of imprisonment, abandonment, or even death, none of which we could effectuate. It would be more effective and practical to appeal to their vanity, but that would have to be done on an individual basis, and for that to work we'd have to know their identities anyway. And of course, there are simply too many of them now.

That leaves legislation and censorship, which is probably the worst possible outcome for everyone - but again, they don't care. If it doesn't contribute to their own personal aggrandizement, vanity, or need for self-justification, they simply don't care.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Vigilant wrote:Let me be more plain.
There are three classes of people whom might be "favored" with BLP on wikipedia.
1) Completely notable. Their absence would be noticeable and silly. e.g. Barack Obama
2) Completely non-notable. Man on the street with slim to nil in the way of notice. e.g. Man on the street
3) Marginally notable. You have to work to get an article together. e.g. Greh Kohs.

In the first two cases, it's obvious what needs to be done.
In the third case, the subject's desires should trump all other considerations.

In addition, anyone editing BLPs should be forced to use their real name.
That's a subtle change of direction. Of course, you must now work out where the boundary is between completely and marginally notable. I believe that every biography, BLP or not, that I have started or made major contributions to is of someone completely notable, or I wouldn't have bothered. I'm quite sure that many would disagree.

Do you know of any other reference work that would exclude someone because they didn't want to be included? I know that Wikipedia is different from other reference works, but the establishment there would never admit it.
EricBarbour wrote:It is a safe bet that all of the Britannica biographies are clearly notable people, alive or not.
If you use the Wikipedia standard, that is close to a truism. I'd be amazed if an article could be deleted if it were pointed out that the subject had an EB entry, even if (hypothetically) no other reliable sources could be found.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Outsider wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Let me be more plain.
There are three classes of people whom might be "favored" with BLP on wikipedia.
1) Completely notable. Their absence would be noticeable and silly. e.g. Barack Obama
2) Completely non-notable. Man on the street with slim to nil in the way of notice. e.g. Man on the street
3) Marginally notable. You have to work to get an article together. e.g. Greh Kohs.

In the first two cases, it's obvious what needs to be done.
In the third case, the subject's desires should trump all other considerations.

In addition, anyone editing BLPs should be forced to use their real name.
That's a subtle change of direction. Of course, you must now work out where the boundary is between completely and marginally notable. I believe that every biography, BLP or not, that I have started or made major contributions to is of someone completely notable, or I wouldn't have bothered. I'm quite sure that many would disagree.
Let's turn this around.
Do you think Daniel Brandt, Greg Kohs or Jeff Merkey are notable and should be forced to have an article?
Do you know of any other reference work that would exclude someone because they didn't want to be included? I know that Wikipedia is different from other reference works, but the establishment there would never admit it.
EricBarbour wrote:It is a safe bet that all of the Britannica biographies are clearly notable people, alive or not.
If you use the Wikipedia standard, that is close to a truism. I'd be amazed if an article could be deleted if it were pointed out that the subject had an EB entry, even if (hypothetically) no other reliable sources could be found.
This is a sophomoric argument.
In the absence of EB as a reference/notability sop, would all of the BLP in EB be considered, by most people, to be notable?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Vigilant wrote:Let's turn this around.
Do you think Daniel Brandt, Greg Kohs or Jeff Merkey are notable and should be forced to have an article?
Neither Daniel Brandt nor Jeff Merkey had an article last time I looked. But it's wrong to consider particular people. The question is whether reasonably sensible impartial criteria can be formulated, and if so whether they can be overruled by subjective issues.
This is a sophomoric argument.
In the absence of EB as a reference/notability sop, would all of the BLP in EB be considered, by most people, to be notable?
I very much doubt it. There are quite a few BLPs in EB of people I've never otherwise heard of.

Did you know Jimbo has a BLP in EB?

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Outsider wrote:Of course, you must now work out where the boundary is between completely and marginally notable.
Are you saying the "consensus" process that works fine (allegedly) for distinguishing between "notable" and "non-notable" would be utterly useless for distinguishing between "completely notable" and "marginally notable"? Why is that?

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Also, this has wandered far afield from the nominal subject and should probably be split to a different thread.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Triptych wrote:I would be in favor of an "opt-out" enshrined in policy for any subject of a BLP. Except maybe politicians.
Would that include the endless "he's a Jew/he's not a Jew" crap that Ed Miliband is constantly subjected to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ed_Mi ... #Edward.3F

Would that include Prioryman's obsessive hatred of Christopher Moncton, which has been going on for a long time?
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s= ... uote]"Make sure you explain that Chris was violating not one, but two Wikipedia policies, Reliable Sourcing and BLP, by using a self-published source (actually, one is a guideline but I doubt the UK government will understand or care about the difference). Point out that WP's admin corps did not spring into action to stop what ChrisO was doing. I think this example would be especially useful since you can put a real name to the editor who was doing it, who lives in the UK, and the person he was defaming is a peer in the British government." [/quote]

Would that include former arbitrator David "Sam Blacketer" Boothroyd's innumerable attempts to defame British Conservative politicians?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... entry.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... tion=Popup

Just wondering what the limits are......

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:03 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Triptych wrote:I would be in favor of an "opt-out" enshrined in policy for any subject of a BLP. Except maybe politicians.
Would that include the endless "he's a Jew/he's not a Jew" crap that Ed Miliband is constantly subjected to? Would that include Prioryman's obsessive hatred of Christopher Moncton, which has been going on for a long time? Would that include former arbitrator David "Sam Blacketer" Boothroyd's innumerable attempts to defame British Conservative politicians? Just wondering what the limits are......
Good questions, heck perhaps I spoke too strongly. I think a universal opt-out in policy is worthy of serious consideration. It must be an heck of a thing for a Wikipedia BLP subject to have herself or himself "defined" there, and be expected to sit back if some editor of no particular qualifications goes heavy on the negative. And I do say this as one who has added critical content to politician BLPs. I recall a couple where the politician or public official had done something I found really atrocious and I wanted people to know it. Does that make one "biased?" I probably went too far a couple times, but then I've also defended BLP subjects. I think the reality is that often an article is worked on by a fan of whomever or whatever it is, so if you also get a critic in there, in something of a safeguard against a gushing article. I once noticed a politician BLP that was essential copy-pasted from his campaign materials.

So the opt-out question is where you have to balance the possibility of annoyance or resentment or even hurt of the subject against the value to the public of having the information that they are interested in or really should know.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Mason wrote:
Outsider wrote:Of course, you must now work out where the boundary is between completely and marginally notable.
Are you saying the "consensus" process that works fine (allegedly) for distinguishing between "notable" and "non-notable" would be utterly useless for distinguishing between "completely notable" and "marginally notable"? Why is that?
Because the consensus has to work within agreed WP policies and guidelines, and it will take years to get agreement on policies about the boundary line.
Mason wrote:Also, this has wandered far afield from the nominal subject and should probably be split to a different thread.
I agree. I've said that already.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:02 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Mason wrote:I know Malleus hates him, but he seems like a decent enough guy to me.
I've looked into his history far more closely than you have, and trust me, he's not "decent enough".
The illustrious author of The Unblockables and Give 'Em Enough Rope, the blocker of about 2500 editors, widely recognized as one of the worst administrators, states he is 41 years old. It is always a relief to find out these guys aren't 19 or something. Restores a bit of hope for the future.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 am

Triptych wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Mason wrote:I know Malleus hates him, but he seems like a decent enough guy to me.
I've looked into his history far more closely than you have, and trust me, he's not "decent enough".
The illustrious author of The Unblockables and Give 'Em Enough Rope, the blocker of about 2500 editors, widely recognized as one of the worst administrators, states he is 41 years old. It is always a relief to find out these guys aren't 19 or something. Restores a bit of hope for the future.
If adults are that stupid, then logically one's faith in humanity should go down.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 am

Wer900 wrote:
Triptych wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
If adults are that stupid, then logically one's faith in humanity should go down.
The children are our future.

:hamsterwheel:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:41 pm

In which Beeblebrox publicly appeals to Arbcom to make Wikipediocracy go away, and AGK tells him he's an idiot.
Beeblebrox wrote:I am filing this request in my role as a functionary and administrator. We are in an impossible position with regard to the issue of linking to Wikipediocracy.
AGK wrote:In a situation where this whole matter is best ignored and given minimal attention, Beeblebrox has decided to open a request for arbitration. Pardon me, Beeblebox, but that is the most stupid thing anybody has done on this project for quite a long time.
(3 July, 2013.)

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Triptych wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
It's not quite true to say that I hate him. It would be more accurate to say that I despise him.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

AGK wrote:Pardon me, Beeblebox, but that is the most stupid thing anybody has done on this project for quite a long time.
{{Fact}}

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Triptych wrote:The illustrious author of The Unblockables and Give 'Em Enough Rope, the blocker of about 2500 editors, widely recognized as one of the worst administrators, states he is 41 years old. It is always a relief to find out these guys aren't 19 or something. Restores a bit of hope for the future.
Ah, yes, "The Unblockables". A deliberate and obvious attempt by an abusive patroller (who generates very little content himself)
to find and justify a way to get rid of people like Malleus and Giano. The people who write the content that makes Beeb's position possible, but
who are "uncivil" to minor power-abusers like Beeb. So long as Beeb remains an administrator and oversighter, Wikipedia will remain corrupt.
And continue to decline.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Triptych wrote:The illustrious author of The Unblockables and Give 'Em Enough Rope, the blocker of about 2500 editors, widely recognized as one of the worst administrators, states he is 41 years old. It is always a relief to find out these guys aren't 19 or something. Restores a bit of hope for the future.
Ah, yes, "The Unblockables". A deliberate and obvious attempt by an abusive patroller (who generates very little content himself)
to find and justify a way to get rid of people like Malleus and Giano. The people who write the content that makes Beeb's position possible, but
who are "uncivil" to minor power-abusers like Beeb. So long as Beeb remains an administrator and oversighter, Wikipedia will remain corrupt.
And continue to decline.
So Beeblebrox is like the thermometer thingie on a store-bought turkey... when he pops out Wikipedia is done?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:43 am

Zoloft wrote:So Beeblebrox is like the thermometer thingie on a store-bought turkey... when he pops out Wikipedia is done?
He thinks he's the thermometer thingie. In fact, he's just another hunk of Jimbo-roadkill. If anyone in that mess is the pop-out
indicator of "doneness", it would probably have to be Jimbo himself. When he leaves, you know the goose is cooked. :D

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 am

EricBarbour wrote:

And continue to decline.
A former sysop has a habit of belittling anyone who disagrees with them. We're not talking minor condescension like "I don't think you understand the problem." It's more along the lines of "get your head out of your ass" or removing comments to their user talk with edit summaries like "removing comment from ignorant douchebag."
Ryulong (T-C-L)? (He hasn't been blocked in a good two and a half years.)
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 am

EricBarbour wrote:
And continue to decline.
I've always found it very strange that in a supposed encylopedia project those who can't write are so eager to chase off those who can.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:06 am

Malleus wrote: I've always found it very strange that in a supposed encylopedia project those who can't write are so eager to chase off those who can.
Rubbish. Perhaps if you were not a giant twat to everyone who you took against, you would still be there. Stop with the Malleus pity party, you being 'chased off' is entirely your own fault.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
And continue to decline.
I've always found it very strange that in a supposed encylopedia project those who can't write are so eager to chase off those who can.
Well, it makes them look better by your comparative absence.

Actually, I don't think they really care that someone can write better than they can.
I think that most of them just want to follow the rules while accumulating points towards the next level.
You're just a speed bump.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Would that include Prioryman's obsessive hatred of Christopher Moncton, which has been going on for a long time?
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s= ... ntry250375

Quote:
"Make sure you explain that Chris was violating not one, but two Wikipedia policies, Reliable Sourcing and BLP, by using a self-published source (actually, one is a guideline but I doubt the UK government will understand or care about the difference). Point out that WP's admin corps did not spring into action to stop what ChrisO was doing. I think this example would be especially useful since you can put a real name to the editor who was doing it, who lives in the UK, and the person he was defaming is a peer in the British government."
Christopher Monckton was never "a peer in the British government" or a member of the House of Lords, despite all his attempts to convince people otherwise. Even WP knows this: link
Monckton inherited a peerage after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999,[13] which provided that "[n]o-one shall be a member of the House of Lords by virtue of a hereditary peerage." Monckton asserts that the Act is flawed and unconstitutional, and has referred to himself as "a member of the Upper House of the United Kingdom legislature" in a letter to US Senators,[14] and also as "a member of the Upper House but without the right to sit or vote."[15]

The House of Lords authorities have said Monckton is not and never has been a member and that there is no such thing as a non-voting or honorary member of the House.[6][16] In July 2011 the House took the "unprecedented step" of publishing online a cease and desist letter to Monckton from the Clerk of the Parliaments, which concluded, "I am publishing this letter on the parliamentary website so that anybody who wishes to check whether you are a Member of the House of Lords can view this official confirmation that you are not."[17][18]

Monckton stood unsuccessfully in four by-elections for vacant seats created by deaths among the 92 hereditary peers remaining in the Lords after the 1999 reforms. He first stood for a Conservative seat in a March 2007 by-election, and was among 31 of 43 candidates who received no votes.[19] He subsequently stood in the crossbench by-elections of May 2008,[20] July 2009,[21] and June 2010,[22] again receiving no votes. He was highly critical of the way the Lords was reformed, describing the procedure in the March 2007 by-election, with 43 candidates and 47 electors, as "a bizarre constitutional abortion."[23]
I have no idea how he became such a lunatic, unless it is some schtick he developed in the hope of becoming a regular guest on The Alex Jones Show. I knew his dad, who was a very amusing, intelligent, and reasonable man.
former Living Person

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Blimey.
Mancunium wrote:I have no idea how he became such a lunatic...
Maybe the lovely mathematics used up all the rational bits of his mind. Seriously, though, it surprises me that someone with such "interesting" views could produce something so beautiful.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 am

Triptych wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Tarc wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Hex wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:First RFA self-nominated, a total disaster, partly because of something he did -- which has now been oversighted out of existence.
Not oversighted, just deleted. He put a "suspected sockpuppet" template for Bambifan101 (T-C-L) on an IP editor's talk page with the edit summary "you little shit, stay off my talk page".
Have you got a diff to prove that?
Appears to be this one, IP's talk page deleted a few years ago.
Thanks, got it.
I can't see anything but a deleted IP user talkpage there, someone else can view the quote? The basis for the page's deletion is said to be "G6. Technical deletions. Uncontroversial." I looked at the reference for G6 and deletion of an IP user's talkpage doesn't fit into its categories. If the quote is accurate, that's an intemperate quote that would probably have worked against Beeb in his RFA and recent candidacy for ArbCom. I've seen Jimbo get worked up when his admins make comments like that.
Dunno if this has been answered yet, but here goes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks Salvidrim! I never got around to answering Triptych's query. Good idea providing both aspects in a single screenshot; I'll bear that technique in mind for the future.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Hex wrote:Thanks Salvidrim! I never got around to answering Triptych's query. Good idea providing both aspects in a single screenshot; I'll bear that technique in mind for the future.
Thanks Salvidrim, it's informative to see that.

Here's a screenclip of his "fuck this site and the abusive cowards that administer it" (on Wikimedia). Before that he calls somebody a troll and deletes a lot of text but there's little troll-like in the comments, well other than Beeb's comments, that he's deleting.
ftsbeeb - Copy.jpg
The diff exists still if you want to look (https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... id=3473654).

As far as I can tell, he was never warned for either. He was though criticized for the "you little shit" in both his RFAs and it helped sink the first one. By the time of his bid for arbitratorship though, his maneuver to have it wiped from public view appeared to have paid off, I don't think it came up.

It's another example of the gross disparity of treatment of editors and administrators. Editors are blocked at the impugnity or irritation of any administrator and, as seen recently with Kiefer, an unblock is treated as the unforgivable sin. Whereas life-termed administrators essentially need adhere to no standard at all, except in the rarest of cases (an handful a year?) and long "arbitrations" after persistent hard work by those who finally say "have we no decency at all."

Profanity should be treated IMO automatically as violation of WP:CIV. It says there now though just, if you dig for it "Even a single act of severe incivility can result in blocks; for example, a single episode of extreme verbal abuse or profanity directed at another contributor, or a threat against another person. Part of the reason I take the stance is that there may well be children present, part is that profanity is by definition uncivil in the everyday sense of the word. The reason it's not really treated like that and why the policy buries it is there are many administrators who like to curse, Beebs for example wrote another cringeworthy essay that he ought to be able to curse at those who deserve it. Dennis Brown takes another of his dense positions that to tell people not to curse on project is to "censor" them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Triptych wrote:Profanity should be treated IMO automatically as violation of WP:CIV.
"Cursing" and "cursing at someone" are different things. I reserve the right to drop the occasional F-Bomb. Insulting another editor is another thing.

For instance, I think my cursing in this diff of mine, while not exactly "nice and civil", was appropriate under the circumstances and would defend it. Not that I think anyone would object to it. But it's a very, very long way from "insulting" the user or calling him a "little shit"; the nuance is important in my eyes.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 am

It's rare I swear at people directly on WP, although it has been known to happen. However, I have been known to use edit summaries like "I'm a fucking idiot" when I fix an error I've made. Cursing is perfectly acceptable, and sometimes, an article really is shit. Cursing at someone, saying "you little shit", or "fuck you User:X" (as I've chastised one user, who will remain nameless, for doing) is very rarely acceptable, if ever, and usually does violate WP:CIV. But then, WP:CIV is ignored half the time, and then rigorously enforced for the other half.

roger_pearse
Regular
Wikipedia User: Roger Pearse

Unread post by roger_pearse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am

Triptych wrote:Dennis Brown takes another of his dense positions that to tell people not to curse on project is to "censor" them.
Curious. I once saw him block an IP without warning for insulting him.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 am

This is how I would specify the process of dealing with incivility. Of course, your mileage may vary.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Hex wrote:This is how I would specify the process of dealing with incivility. Of course, your mileage may vary.
A very common sense diagram, but the trouble is that it forgets context. You need some more tests, because this is exactly how people get people blocked step 1.

Oh, and you have forgotten that JzG would have us believe that calling someone a cunt is a very matey and friendly thing to do in his neck of the woods.
Time for a new signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:19 pm

You also forgot the multitude of decision points where you check to see if they're of the body and how many friends do they have and how popular they currently are and what rank they hold...

Honestly, Scott, it's hard to see how you'd overlook these things.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Split from another thread, for the Beeble file here. I was hoping that some intrepid person at some point could possibly do a de-adminship effort, but then I look (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... tor_rights) and there's no established process for de-adminning for abuse. No, I am not surprised. Oh if you look here and there, you'll see that you could possibly do an RFC process which'd chaotically go wherever it might go, and of course you'll find pointers to forums that greatly favor the administrator such as Arbcom and [sarcasm] of course WP:AN/ANI [/sarcasm] but an open and defined process for the community to say "we really should take away this guy's administrative privileges" doesn't exist that I can see. Well, there is a category populated by administrators that declare themselves "open to recall," but Beeble is not on it, and I think the much more telling message of the category is that administrators generally are *not* open to recall, they have to personally sign up for it.

The rules are riddled with stuff to enable administrator abuse. They are not rules for editors generally. Where a particular rule could be tweaked to benefit the administrator class, be assured it has been done so. For example one can't use the sock puppet report form on an administrator.

Anyhow here's Beeble's latest (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =564814486):
The Devil's Advocate wrote:The Beebs isn't really wrong in his characterization of Apteva. Apteva has a rather extreme take on civility...
Bah, I looked briefly over Apteva's contributions, he's basically civil. He was once involved in some dispute over the respective use of hyphen vice en dash vice em dash vice minus symbol. He politely asked at WP:AN/ANI after some months for his topic ban to be lifted, but the reflexive disciplinarians that self-select to inhabit those forums, whose collective power is illegitimate and not backed by policy, do not draw personal satisfaction from fairly hearing a person out, quite the opposite. So Apteva's request is of course rejected by Wikipedia's worst, but Beeble doesn't get enough from that, he chases Apteva through his or her contributions to a third person's talkpage, and launches an extended and threatening harangue there: "I came here knowing, just knowing, [comment: that's bull, Beeble stalked Aptiva's contributions] there would already be a whiny thread started by you about this."

Apteva's comment on the page is polite. Beeble jumps in uninvited with the threats and harangue. 1) "a whiny thread started by you," 2) "Apteva pointlessly denies reality," 3) watch out we'll "topic-ban you from appealing your bans," 4) we'll just completely "siteban you," 4) "you behave Apteva like an egotistical child," 5) "the community is sick to death of your troublemaking and constant whining" 6) "you are dense" 7) "Apteva is wrong is the consensus," and 8) "stop your long rambling nonsense." And Apteva's got to sit there and absorb all that.

None of that is civil. It's another asshat administrator dumping on an editor who's being polite and trying to play by the rules. And there's no way short of herculean effort and great luck to get rid of him.

Edited to clip some of the quote and to include a link to the diff in question.

Ming
the Merciless

About Apteva

Unread post by Ming » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Apteva is the classic WP pain-in-arse, the passive-aggressive ultra-nice position warrior. It's no surprise that BB is annoyed; so apparently is everyone else that has to deal with him.

Triptych
Retired

Re: About Apteva

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Ming wrote:Apteva is the classic WP pain-in-arse, the passive-aggressive ultra-nice position warrior. It's no surprise that BB is annoyed; so apparently is everyone else that has to deal with him.
Admittedly I only briefly looked at his edit history (though I did look at it). I saw no aggressive side really, got a diff or two? An administrator being annoyed is no indication at all that an editor did something amiss.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Triptych wrote:
Ming wrote:Apteva is the classic WP pain-in-arse, the passive-aggressive ultra-nice position warrior. It's no surprise that BB is annoyed; so apparently is everyone else that has to deal with him.
Admittedly I only briefly looked at his edit history (though I did look at it). I saw no aggressive side really, got a diff or two? An administrator being annoyed is no indication at all that an editor did something amiss.
He apparently has an obsession about fighting the en-dash/hyphen war which brought on an RFC/U among other things.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Ming wrote:
Triptych wrote:
He apparently has an obsession about fighting the en-dash/hyphen war which brought on an RFC/U among other things.
Forgive for repeating myself, merciless one: I saw no aggressive side really, got a diff or two?

Got a diff for Apteva's hyphen warring, which is some sort of style manual affair, that reveals his obsession as concrete vice "apparent?"

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Triptych wrote:
Ming wrote:
Triptych wrote:
Forgive for repeating myself, merciless one: I saw no aggressive side really, got a diff or two?

Got a diff for Apteva's hyphen warring, which is some sort of style manual affair, that reveals his obsession as concrete vice "apparent?"
No answer. In the meantime Beeblebrox muted Apteva at his talkpage and jammed his Wikipedia email function. Apteva's last edit? "See above. I have already agreed to a voluntary topic ban for six months on discussing punctuation and capital letters. Anything else anyone wants? Just name it. I am very responsive to constructive criticism." Beeblebrox' comments to Apteva? "A whiny thread started by you... you pointlessly deny reality.. I will topic-ban you from appealing your bans... I will siteban you for behaving like an egotistical child... the community is sick to death of your troublemaking and constant whining... you are dense... stop your long rambling nonsense."

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Come on: all you have to do is read Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Apteva (T-H-L). Ming personally doesn't care about the en-dash/hyphen thing, Ming can hardly tell the difference, and Ming doesn't care if someone goes back and changes all his hyphens to en-dashes. But considering the huge annoyance Apteva put everyone through on the subject, a preemptive strike when he turned to worrying about commas was entirely justified.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Sadly he has deleted his wonderful essay: 5:23, 14 August 2013 Beeblebrox (talk | contribs) deleted page User:Beeblebrox/fuck off , with the comment "(because assholes keep trying to use it to try and attack me. find a real reason next time, or just fuck off)".

Fortunately I have a cached copy, for posteriority.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Sadly he has deleted his wonderful essay: 5:23, 14 August 2013 Beeblebrox (talk | contribs) deleted page User:Beeblebrox/fuck off , with the comment "(because assholes keep trying to use it to try and attack me. find a real reason next time, or just fuck off)".

Well then, I guess that I was the asshole in question; that's the designation you get the moment you question an administrator or arbitrator, anyway.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:32 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... _AWAY_SOON
ME GO AWAY SOON

I may be around sporadically over the next two days, but after that I will be totally unavailable for about a week. If you need any admin stuff or anything else during that time poke some other admin. Unless you think I am so awesome that you would rather wait until after I get back, which is of course perfectly understandable. Beeblebrox (talk) 06:18, 14 August 2013 (UTC)
Too bad "ME GO AWAY SOON" is going away only for a week.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

Wer900 wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:Sadly he has deleted his wonderful essay: 5:23, 14 August 2013 Beeblebrox (talk | contribs) deleted page User:Beeblebrox/fuck off , with the comment "(because assholes keep trying to use it to try and attack me. find a real reason next time, or just fuck off)".

Well then, I guess that I was the asshole in question; that's the designation you get the moment you question an administrator or arbitrator, anyway.
Wer900, you did Wikipedia some good by shaming him into wiping out his essay. That such an individual would call you an "asshole" is exceedingly minor, considering the source. A frown and forget moment. I copy-paste below Beeblebrox' infamous "Fuck Off" essay that his sins chase behind him and at his heels so long as he is a Wikipedia administrator. PS: Peter Damian. "Posteriority?" Funny!
[quote="Wikipedia Functionary Beeblebrox' Infamous "Fuck Off" Essay, version of 28 July, 2013 "]

This page in a nutshell: I am usually a very nice person and I only get mean if I see no other way to get through to someone. . If I have told you to fuck off, you deserved it.

Once or twice in my wiki-career, I have told another user to fuck off. In each instance there have been several who felt the need to tell me what a bad idea that was, that it didn't help, that it was uncalled for, etc. I don't make a habit out of telling people to fuck off, I only do it when they've really earned it. I deal with the real world, I don't live in the fantasy world some Wikipedians would have us believe in where no matter how ridiculous someone is acting we all have to talk like kindergarten teachers lest somebody be offended. In each case of me using this term the circumstances were as follows:

The other user and I were in some sort of dispute
I had tried to break off discussion with them as it was not working
They persistently posted to my talk page after being asked nicely to stop doing so
I told them to fuck off

If that seems wrong to you, then you probably haven't worked a job where you deal with the general public. I have. Sometimes you have to tell somebody that they are too drunk, too loud, too angry, or whatever, and that they need to leave. Usually they feel suitably embarrassed and they do leave without any further fuss. Sometimes they would rather argue about it, embarrassing themselves even further with their inability to understand that they are acting like an ass. That is when it becomes appropriate to resort to using strong language. It has its place and purpose and anyone who thinks it absolutely never acceptable is free to not use it themselves but should not try and enforce that draconian prohibition on others or endlessly berate them when they do use it.

(Be aware that nearly every time I do this it backfires on me and a user or two does in fact throw a big hissy fit about it, distracting attention from the jackass who would not stop posting to my talk page, so don't take this essay as indicating a best practice. I still think it is appropriate in the limited circumstances described here but the delicate flowers who police civility on Wikipedia do not agree and feel that swearing is ruder than not leaving when you've been asked.)[/quote]

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:37 am

I told them to fuck off. If that seems wrong to you, then you probably haven't worked a job where you deal with the general public. I have.
As a member of the general public I frequently have to deal with minor functionaries from the town council, tax authorities, bank etc. Sometimes they are painful to deal with but in a dull and circumlocutory (=tldr) way only. I have never been told to fuck off, nothing has come close. Where does Beeblebrox work. Alaska? Oh good.
PS: Peter Damian. "Posteriority?" Funny!
= Assholery.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Beeblebrox is one of those people who, when he calls you an asshole, tells you that you are doing something right.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Beebs, one of this site's more effective traffic drivers, formerly greatly opposed to the linking of Wikipediocracy, is now routinely linking here from Wikipedia.
Beeblebrox (talk) 00:26, 24 August 2013 (UTC) wrote: Not trying to suggest anything about any of the specific particpants in this discussion but consider the possibility that that tail is trying to wag the dog (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2873&start=50) to a certain extent here. This is being discussed at "that other site" right now...

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 am

Beeblebrox reports Wer900 at AN/I

One of the benefits of this forum is the way it can make more people know about these reports than just the people who usually populate AN/I. Beeblebrox looks like he's hoping for Wer900 to be blocked as a result of his report, but there are enough people here who disapprove of Beeblebrox's conduct that it might be possible for this to become a case of WP:BOOMERANG for him.