Herostratus and an old grudge

DanMurphy
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Herostratus and an old grudge

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Who is this lunatic? Herostratus (T-C-L)
For my part, some of Wikipediocracy (actually he calls our members "The People Under the Stairs" and links to Wikipediocracy -- a horror movie about a group of inbred and evil cannibals) have called me a "notorious pedophile" and credibly threatened to have me outed and, I gather, lynched (this is in addition to the usual low-level hum of "idiot" and so forth). Because of The People Under the Stairs, I feel unable to attend Wikimania if I wanted (they've threatened to covertly photograph and dox attendees) and am reluctant even to attend Wiki meetups. This is material loss to me and the Wikipedia and unfair to a person who is simply trying to enjoy a hobby and be a decent contributor. I understand the attraction of slumming with the demi-monde, but consorting with persons sworn to damage and destroy the Wikipedia is not consistent with being a Wikipedia editor let alone admin in my view, and other outstanding contributions (and they are outstanding) don't earn free passes here. If you were consistently battling these people that'd be different. But you're not. I don't expect an insightful reply, but am at least hoping that an admonition to "grow a thicker skin" is not forthcoming. Tell that to my wife. Herostratus (talk) 15:49, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
Lying about a group of people (many self-identified) as threatening murder, slander without evidence, and planning things we are in no way planning to do? On Wikipedia? Of course!

Edit: Posts split from 'Russavia AkA Scott Bibby' -Zoloft

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: Russavia AkA Scott Bibby

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 pm

He's that guy who used to go on about how pedophiles on WP could be "mentored" and "monitored" so that they could make "positive contributions" to "the project" without necessarily using it as a platform for predatory behavior and child-grooming. He was an admin at one point, but people got a little queasy about the potential for pedo-advocacy and took away his admin privileges (which he now explains on his talk page "my performance was judged lacking").

He doesn't appear to be a pedophile himself, far from it in fact - but the fact that he doesn't mention this stuff in relation to sites like Wikipediocracy proves, as it does with so many others, that he's doing the usual Wikipedian hyper-narcissist thing, I'm afraid. Best to ignore him, unless of course you're a parent.

And frankly, nobody should feel the slightest bit apologetic about having made him feel uncomfortable whilst going out in public. He made a mistake, a bad one, and he should own up to it - but he won't, that I can just about guarantee.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Interesting that both Prioryman and Herostratus used to be admins but had their privileges revoked, in part, because of their battleground behavior. And yet, here they are, explicitly calling for more battleground mentality.
Herostratus wrote:If you were consistently battling these people that'd be different... "not everyone takes the 'with us or against us' approach...". I do.
These folks have apparently learned nothing from their own history, which is especially ironic given Herostratus' own choice of username.

Keep up the [[WP:BATTLE]], folks. See things in black and white, and try not to ever consider the possibility that your "enemies" might have a point. Sure, that approach might not have worked out too well for Fae, but maybe you'll have better luck with it.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:39 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Who is this lunatic? Herostratus (T-C-L)
For my part, some of Wikipediocracy (actually he calls our members "The People Under the Stairs" and links to Wikipediocracy -- a horror movie about a group of inbred and evil cannibals) have called me a "notorious pedophile" and credibly threatened to have me outed and, I gather, lynched (this is in addition to the usual low-level hum of "idiot" and so forth). Because of The People Under the Stairs, I feel unable to attend Wikimania if I wanted (they've threatened to covertly photograph and dox attendees) and am reluctant even to attend Wiki meetups. This is material loss to me and the Wikipedia and unfair to a person who is simply trying to enjoy a hobby and be a decent contributor. I understand the attraction of slumming with the demi-monde, but consorting with persons sworn to damage and destroy the Wikipedia is not consistent with being a Wikipedia editor let alone admin in my view, and other outstanding contributions (and they are outstanding) don't earn free passes here. If you were consistently battling these people that'd be different. But you're not. I don't expect an insightful reply, but am at least hoping that an admonition to "grow a thicker skin" is not forthcoming. Tell that to my wife. Herostratus (talk) 15:49, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
Lying about a group of people (many self-identified) as threatening murder, slander without evidence, and planning things we are in no way planning to do? On Wikipedia? Of course!
Midsize Jake wrote:
He's that guy who used to go on about how pedophiles on WP could be "mentored" and "monitored" so that they could make "positive contributions" to "the project" without necessarily using it as a platform for predatory behavior and child-grooming. He was an admin at one point, but people got a little queasy about the potential for pedo-advocacy and took away his admin privileges (which he now explains on his talk page "my performance was judged lacking").

He doesn't appear to be a pedophile himself, far from it in fact - but the fact that he doesn't mention this stuff in relation to sites like Wikipediocracy proves, as it does with so many others, that he's doing the usual Wikipedian hyper-narcissist thing, I'm afraid. Best to ignore him, unless of course you're a parent.

And frankly, nobody should feel the slightest bit apologetic about having made him feel uncomfortable whilst going out in public. He made a mistake, a bad one, and he should own up to it - but he won't, that I can just about guarantee.
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Herostratus

@DanMurphy: Herostratus isn't lying. I wrote an Encyclopedia Dramatica article on Herostratus, and I included information about the incident where EricBarbour and others called Herostratus a pedophile based on nonexistent evidence. Wikipedia sysop (and WR user) Viridae blocked Herostratus based on that nonexistent evidence. By "lynched", Herostratus meant a lynch mob of people such as Viridae who would block people and destroy careers based on gossip and rumors instead of clear, tangible evidence.

@Midsize Jake: Herostratus has done much to combat pedophiles and their agenda. In addition, Herostratus was barely involved in "Wikipedia:WikiProject Pedophilia Article Watch/Pedophile topic mentorship":

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_Pedophilia_Article_Watch/Pedophile_topic_mentorship&action=history

Herostratus only touched that page twice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_Pedophilia_Article_Watch/Pedophile_topic_mentorship&diff=208782506&oldid=208755947

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=move&page=Wikipedia%3APedophile_topic_mentorship

The first time was to criticize VigilancePrime (T-C-L) (now banned), and the second time was merely maintenance.

Unlike others, Herostratus didn't try to have me blocked over my role at ED:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Spam-whitelist/Archives/2011/04#My_ED_page

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:Who is this lunatic? Herostratus (T-C-L)
Midsize Jake wrote:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Herostratus

@DanMurphy: Herostratus isn't lying. I wrote an Encyclopedia Dramatica article on Herostratus, and I included information about the incident where EricBarbour and others called Herostratus a pedophile based on nonexistent evidence. Wikipedia sysop (and WR user) Viridae blocked Herostratus based on that nonexistent evidence. By "lynched", Herostratus meant a lynch mob of people such as Viridae who would block people and destroy careers based on gossip and rumors instead of clear, tangible evidence.

@Midsize Jake: Herostratus has done much to combat pedophiles and their agenda. In addition, Herostratus was barely involved in "Wikipedia:WikiProject Pedophilia Article Watch/Pedophile topic mentorship":

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_Pedophilia_Article_Watch/Pedophile_topic_mentorship&action=history

Herostratus only touched that page twice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_Pedophilia_Article_Watch/Pedophile_topic_mentorship&diff=208782506&oldid=208755947

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=move&page=Wikipedia%3APedophile_topic_mentorship

The first time was to criticize VigilancePrime (T-C-L) (now banned), and the second time was merely maintenance.

Unlike others, Herostratus didn't try to have me blocked over my role at ED:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Spam-whitelist/Archives/2011/04#My_ED_page
I do not understand. Are you saying that EricBarbour called Herostratus a pedophile based on nonexistent evidence, and he's still sysop here, EricBarbour that is ?
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

neved wrote:I do not understand. Are you saying that EricBarbour called Herostratus a pedophile based on nonexistent evidence, and he's still sysop here, EricBarbour that is ?
Jeez. It was years ago, on another site, and as far as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone), Herostratus had edited the subject area, but with a POV opposed to pedophilia, and Eric misinterpreted some edits of his. The error has long been cleared up. No one here, including Eric, believes that Herostratus is, or ever was, a pedophile. Okay?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 am

HRIP7 wrote:
neved wrote:I do not understand. Are you saying that EricBarbour called Herostratus a pedophile based on nonexistent evidence, and he's still sysop here, EricBarbour that is ?
Jeez. It was years ago, on another site, and as far as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone), Herostratus had edited the subject area, but with a POV opposed to pedophilia, and Eric misinterpreted some edits of his. The error has long been cleared up. No one here, including Eric, believes that Herostratus is, or ever was, a pedophile. Okay?
Neved: It was a mstake, quickly corrected. Would I still be pissed? Sure. But it pales against the extended pogroms that Wikipedia practices against editors like thekohser.
Also, Eric Barbour is not a sysop here. He's a moderator.

We're not nearly as rotten as Prioryman and a few others make us out to be.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:15 am

Herostratus has authored some falsehoods about me and then went on to be a royal dick about it, so where does that put us? Even, I say.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 am

As I recall, Hero posted a snotty little note on his userpage about his "restrictions".
He was semi-famous for making snarky comments, and for doing a lot of editing in tandem with actual pedos. The histories are very
difficult to tease apart. This time, he really outdid himself -- since I was already looking into the history of the Pedophile Article Watch,
his "jokes" didn't seem very funny at all. I seem to recall that I posted some comments about this in WR's old "book club", which is restricted
access and not for public consumption.

I thought the result was hilarious. One idiot blocks another idiot, based on hearsay posted on an outside forum (in a restricted area). Then the other idiot unblocks himself without any explanation. Then Arbcom shows up and flops around.

Hmm, perhaps I should write this up as a shining example of administrative incompetence.

Look at the block log. Look at the arbitration page. Tell me these geniuses are "valued contributors". And you already know what I think of Arbcom.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

So all in all it looks like something Herostratus bought upon himself. It isn't a very wise thing to joke about being a pedo.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Tarc wrote:So all in all it looks like something Herostratus bought upon himself. It isn't a very wise thing to joke about being a pedo.
Herostratus didn't joke about being a pedophile. He didn't state the reason for the fake Internet restrictions. "Pedophilia" was something that popped into the heads of WR conspiracy theorists.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Tarc wrote:So all in all it looks like something Herostratus bought upon himself. It isn't a very wise thing to joke about being a pedo.
Herostratus didn't joke about being a pedophile. He didn't state the reason for the fake Internet restrictions. "Pedophilia" was something that popped into the heads of WR conspiracy theorists.
So, as a regular editor of pedophilia and pedophilia-related subject, he said something that was liable to be construed, and was construed, in an unfortunate way. How exactly did he intend it to be read?
UPDATE: Rather than improving, my situation has deteriorated. Now I am no longer allowed access to the internet, amd am forbidden to watch television or listen to the radio. Nor am I allowed to view any periodicals published before 1960. The only way I can make edits is to mark up a printout and pass it to my majordomo to be typed into Wikipedia. Frustrating!
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =302022861
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
As I recall, Hero posted a snotty little note on his userpage about his "restrictions".
He was semi-famous for making snarky comments, and for doing a lot of editing in tandem with actual pedos. The histories are very
difficult to tease apart. This time, he really outdid himself -- since I was already looking into the history of the Pedophile Article Watch,
his "jokes" didn't seem very funny at all. I seem to recall that I posted some comments about this in WR's old "book club", which is restricted
access and not for public consumption.

I thought the result was hilarious. One idiot blocks another idiot, based on hearsay ....
No, Viridae's block of Herostratus wasn't based on the "hearsay" published in Wikipedia Review. As your link to Herostratus's block log shows, Viridae's block was based on his own conclusion from the "snotty little note" that Herostratus's account had been compromised.
... posted on an outside forum (in a restricted area). ...
Again, no. Your posting of the "hearsay" was not limited to a "restricted area", it was posted on a publicly accessible forum and further elaborated on another one.
Then the other idiot unblocks himself without any explanation. Then Arbcom shows up and flops around.

Hmm, perhaps I should write this up as a shining example of administrative incompetence. ...
I would hope that your account of your own role in the affair would be a little more accurate than the travesty you have produced above. With the possible exception of the "as usual" qualification, Cool Hand Luke's (One, on Wikipedia Review) comment on the matter appears to me to be spot on.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Peter Damian wrote:So, as a regular editor of pedophilia and pedophilia-related subject, he said something that was liable to be construed, and was construed, in an unfortunate way. How exactly did he intend it to be read?
UPDATE: Rather than improving, my situation has deteriorated. Now I am no longer allowed access to the internet, amd am forbidden to watch television or listen to the radio. Nor am I allowed to view any periodicals published before 1960. The only way I can make edits is to mark up a printout and pass it to my majordomo to be typed into Wikipedia. Frustrating!
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =302022861
Why would a pedophile be barred from viewing TV, watching the radio, or reading any periodical published before 1960? Use your heads. Anyone who knows Herostratus knows about Herostatus' position on sex and children. Look at the present "Sexology" ArbCom case. Herostratus' position is clear. The conclusion that the WR arrived at wasn't logical. The people on the WR should've done more research instead of jumping to conclusions. Opponents of pedophilia are involved in those articles as well. Articles on subjects aren't solely edited by advocates; they're edited by opponents as well. You can see this on articles related science and politics.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:No, Viridae's block of Herostratus wasn't based on the "hearsay" published in Wikipedia Review. As your link to Herostratus's block log shows, Viridae's block was based on his own conclusion from the "snotty little note" that Herostratus's account had been compromised.
EricBarbour publishes pedophilia claim (22:18)

EricBarbour links to a thread containing his earlier claim ("Mentioned here"), and asks "Why is his [Herostratus'] account still active?" (00:06)

Viridae blocks Herostratus (00:31)

Viridae posts to EricBarbour's thread (01:32)

I don't believe that the timing is a coincidence. I believe that Viridae read EricBarbour's thread, possibly read EricBarbour's pedophilia claim by clicking on "here", and responded to Eric's "Why is his [Herostratus'] account still active?" comment by blocking Herostratus. In addition, Viridae was concerned about pedophilia at the back of his head. Even if Viridae didn't believe that Herostratus was a pedophile, Viridae almost certainly blocked Herostratus due to EricBarbour's posting of rumors on the Wikipedia Review.

Edit: Viridae definitely believed the pedophilia rumors (or at least believed them a few hours after the block):

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents&diff=346023696 (03:40)
Viridae wrote:Not sure, but review his edit history. I have my suspicions, as do others. I have just emailed arbcom. [[User:Viridae|Viridae]][[User talk:Viridae|<small><sup>Talk</sup></small>]] 03:39, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=28685&st=20&p=223243&mode=linear#entry223243 (17:27)
Viridae wrote:I had a flick through his contribs. Like Haiduc, makes me feel slightly ill.
Please do more than "flicking" through the contributions list next time. Examine and analyze the contributions.
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zoloft
Trustee

Re: Herostratus and an old grudge

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Posts split from 'Russavia AkA Scott Bibby' -Zoloft

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
lonza leggiera wrote:No, Viridae's block of Herostratus wasn't based on the "hearsay" published in Wikipedia Review. As your link to Herostratus's block log shows, Viridae's block was based on his own conclusion from the "snotty little note" that Herostratus's account had been compromised.
EricBarbour publishes pedophilia claim (22:18)

EricBarbour links to a thread containing his earlier claim ("Mentioned here"), and asks "Why is his [Herostratus'] account still active?" (00:06)

Viridae blocks Herostratus (00:31)

Viridae posts to EricBarbour's thread (01:32)

I don't believe that the timing is a coincidence. ...
Neither do I. In fact, not having checked the precise timing of events, I had wrongly assumed from the contents of Viridae's first two posts to that Wikipedia Review thread that he had not yet blocked Herostratus when he posted the first one. The grounds for my assertion about Viridae's reason for blocking Herostratus are several:
  • The explanation given in the block log: "account owner not in control of account".
  • The explanation given at the start the AN/I thread which Viridae opened after Herostratus unblocked himself:
    Viridae wrote: Herostratus (talk · contribs · blocks · protections · deletions · page moves · rights · RfA) is an administrator who, according to their userpage, is no longer allowed to have access to the internet, and has given the password of their admin account to someone else to edit on their behalf "UPDATE: Rather than improving, my situation has deteriorated. Now I am no longer allowed access to the internet, amd am forbidden to watch television or listen to the radio. Nor am I allowed to view any periodicals published before 1960. The only way I can make edits is to mark up a printout and pass it to my majordomo to be typed into Wikipedia. Frustrating!" diff. Not realising they were an admin, I blocked them as arrangements like that are not allowed. They have just unblocked themselves, so rather than slipping into a possible wheel war, I am asking for some advice from others.
  • On the Wikipedia Review thread Viridae explicitly promised that he would change his block reason if he was given evidence for the accusation that Herostratus had ""apparently" been convicted of possessing child porn". Since he never did change the block reason, he presumably remained unconvinced by the pathetically inadequate speculation that was provided as supposed evidence.
Michaeldsuarez wrote: I believe that Viridae read EricBarbour's thread, possibly read EricBarbour's pedophilia claim by clicking on "here", and responded to Eric's "Why is his [Herostratus'] account still active?" comment by blocking Herostratus. In addition, Viridae was concerned about pedophilia at the back of his head. Even if Viridae didn't believe that Herostratus was a pedophile, Viridae almost certainly blocked Herostratus due to EricBarbour's posting of rumors on the Wikipedia Review.

Edit: Viridae definitely believed the pedophilia rumors (or at least believed them a few hours after the block):

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents&diff=346023696 (03:40)
Viridae wrote:Not sure, but review his edit history. I have my suspicions, as do others. I have just emailed arbcom. [[User:Viridae|Viridae]][[User talk:Viridae|<small><sup>Talk</sup></small>]] 03:39, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=28685&st=20&p=223243&mode=linear#entry223243 (17:27) ...
I can't see anything here to support the conclusion that "Viridae definitely believed the pedophilia rumours". "Having suspicions" (of something that remained unspecified) is very far from being the same thing as definitely believing rumours of pedophilia. Viridae was clearly concerned that Herostratus might have been convicted of some offence relating to child pornography, pedophilia or something of that nature, but I can see no evidence that he ever "definitely believed" anything of the sort.
Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Viridae wrote:I had a flick through his contribs. Like Haiduc, makes me feel slightly ill.
Please do more than "flicking" through the contributions list next time. Examine and analyze the contributions.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Alright, maybe you're right about Viridae and his or her motivation, and I shouldn't had said "definitely".

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Locking as off-topic to this site and this present time.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone