Wikpediocracy on the Village pump (policy)

Kumioko
Muted
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Wikpediocracy on the Village pump (policy)

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:22 pm

I just thought that some might be interested that this site is being discussed at the Village pump.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =542850852

It would seem that a few users have had their feelings hurt by some comments made here on this site and would like to see it blacklisted.

everyking
Critic
Wikipedia User: Everyking
Wikipedia Review Member: Everyking

Re: Wikpediocracy on the Village pump (policy)

Unread post by everyking » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 pm

BADSITES! Burn the heretics.

Stupid.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Kum, don't give Seren what he wants, by paying attention to him. If he is ignored, he'll eventually give up.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Kum, don't give Seren what he wants, by paying attention to him. If he is ignored, he'll eventually give up.
Seren is well trained, predictable, obedient, and guaranteed to come when called, to roll over, sit up and beg, and generally behave in an amusing manner.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:01 am

This Gwickwire (T-C-L) kid is such a transparent liar his picture should be used to illustrate the Dunning-Kruger article (well, him or Sterling).

Sonny keeps kicking over bee's nests; if he is in fact a teenager as is alleged and he needs to be "protected" from scrutiny, then Wikipedia can ban him. He clearly seems to crave attention.
Here's my comments, because I don't care to read every comment and reply individually:

Wikipediocracy has been doing the things that I will mention next for more instances than this one.

Wikipediocracy has editors, both banned and even experienced, that use it to coordinate both off-wiki and on-wiki harassment and outing/doxing of editors who disagree with even one person on this issue.

A majority of the users on Wikipediocracy seem to have a view that is on one side of the Eastern Europe issue, and one side of the Arbitration decision there. This commonality allows them to effectively coordinate and perform harassment and outing.

The site moderators, some of which hold advanced permissions with access to private information here on Wikipedia, fail to do anything to stop this outing/doxing and harassment, when it is obviously in their power to remove the posts and reprimand the users posting the material.

Multiple editors have fallen prey to the site and its doxing/outing, and it is effectively censoring their opinions on Wikipedia for fear of publicizing of data.

Editors at Wikipediocracy have the idea that doxing is nothing bad at all, even though most users will not want their online and public identities connected. Users on wiki have expressed a similar opinion on that site.

This issue needs to be dealt with by the Wikipedia community, as the Arbitration Committee has expressed that they do not wish/want/feel they need to deal with this.

Wikipedia cannot exist with this group of both experienced and banned users effectively controlling the opinions of other editors, and editors participating still be able to edit and hold advanced privacy-related permissions on Wikipedia. gwickwiretalkediting 18:53, 8 March 2013 (UTC)
Last edited by DanMurphy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 am

When are Seren and Prioryman going to start the House Unwikipedian Activities Committee?

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:33 am

DanMurphy wrote:This Gwickwire (T-C-L) kid is such a transparent liar his picture should be used to illustrate the Dunning-Kruger article (well, him or Sterling).
Btw, I'm not sure I buy the "returning editor" idea. Yea he was a bit familiar with the syntax out of the gate, but the editing history is just so terribly milquetoast that I cannot imagine this person ever being in a confrontational/adversarial situation that would warrant a ban or a need to invoke right-to-vanish.

He's being a bit of a douche now, yea, but meh.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 am

Tarc wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:This Gwickwire (T-C-L) kid is such a transparent liar his picture should be used to illustrate the Dunning-Kruger article (well, him or Sterling).
Btw, I'm not sure I buy the "returning editor" idea. Yea he was a bit familiar with the syntax out of the gate, but the editing history is just so terribly milquetoast that I cannot imagine this person ever being in a confrontational/adversarial situation that would warrant a ban or a need to invoke right-to-vanish.

I'm talking about the lies and slander he's spewing on that page -- against named people no less (like me). The horror!

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:40 am

Tarc wrote:

More than a bit. He came to my talk page and asked me to post for him on the topic. I did so.
I'm also the admin who cleaned up the posts about him.
Then he goes to the Village Pump and says nobody helped him.
gwickwire on the Village Pump wrote: The site moderators, some of which hold advanced permissions with access to private information here on Wikipedia, fail to do anything to stop this outing/doxing and harassment, when it is obviously in their power to remove the posts and reprimand the users posting the material.
Scumbag keed. *See post below. --Zoloft

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 am

Tarc wrote:Btw, I'm not sure I buy the "returning editor" idea. Yea he was a bit familiar with the syntax out of the gate, but the editing history is just so terribly milquetoast that I cannot imagine this person ever being in a confrontational/adversarial situation that would warrant a ban or a need to invoke right-to-vanish.

Seems this thread might explain why I received such a chilly reception when I raised the standard "have you had any previous accounts?" question.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:43 am

I have absolutely no interest in knowing anything about gwickwire; I also don't understand the precise series of events involving someone here attempting to dox him (correctly removed by Zoloft by the sound of it).* However, I do find it interesting that gwickwire (T-C-L) is the first user page I've ever seen that's been completely oversighted. Fear of a rouge admin leaking something?

* I'm not a supporter of doxing for doxing's sake, either, especially if it's intended as some kind of threat. I might as well also note that I concur with the people here who've been critical about the way the Russavia blog post was written, something I hadn't felt the need to say earlier.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 am

Hex wrote:I have absolutely no interest in knowing anything about gwickwire; I also don't understand the precise series of events involving someone here attempting to dox him (correctly removed by Zoloft by the sound of it).* However, I do find it interesting that gwickwire (T-C-L) is the first user page I've ever seen that's been completely oversighted. Fear of a rouge admin leaking something?

* I'm not a supporter of doxing for doxing's sake, either, especially if it's intended as some kind of threat. I might as well also note that I concur with the people here who've been critical about the way the Russavia blog post was written, something I hadn't felt the need to say earlier.
Looking back on the Russavia post, if I had a do-over, I'd slant it more towards how Wikipedia fails to weed out characters like Scott Bibby, and instead pushes out academics and long-time contributors.

But any shortcomings of the blog post are far overshadowed by the rabid and distasteful reactions of the Wikipedia mob, and its governors, leading, as usual, from right behind the baying pack.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 am

gwickwire (T-C-L) had the grace to come to my talk page and apologize for not acknowledging that the admins here (and for all he knows, perhaps even others he criticized) were helpful in toning down the rhetoric on this site.

I struck my insult above.

I accept your apology, young man. But you are responsible for adjusting the one-sided impression you left at the Village Pump, not I.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:16 am

Zoloft wrote:gwickwire (T-C-L) had the grace to come to my talk page and apologize for not acknowledging that the admins here (and for all he knows, perhaps even others he criticized) were helpful in toning down the rhetoric on this site.

I struck my insult above.

I accept your apology, young man. But you are responsible for adjusting the one-sided impression you left at the Village Pump, not I.
When he apologizes to Cla68, Kevin and the CEO of Bloomex and says nothing nasty for the next 30 days, then I'll let it slide.

Until then, in the words of Wayne and Garth, "game on."
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 am

Hex wrote:I have absolutely no interest in knowing anything about gwickwire; I also don't understand the precise series of events involving someone here attempting to dox him (correctly removed by Zoloft by the sound of it).* However, I do find it interesting that gwickwire (T-C-L) is the first user page I've ever seen that's been completely oversighted. Fear of a rouge admin leaking something?

Really, I don't care much either, but I found the early editing history rather atypical and so I tried to find out more. Obviously, that didn't go over well. No way do I actually care enough to deal with Demiurge's constant "box-cutter" remarks.

P.S. Vigilant, you could, you know, stop. Just a thought.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Vigilant wrote: When he apologizes to Cla68, Kevin and the CEO of Bloomex and says nothing nasty for the next 30 days, then I'll let it slide.

Until then, in the words of Wayne and Garth, "game on."
DemiJohn and his acolyte have both been block for a week, for posting shit about people.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:50 pm

rhindle wrote:When are Seren and Prioryman going to start the House Unwikipedian Activities Committee?
This message board needs a +1 button.

RfB

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Zoloft wrote:I accept your apology, young man. But you are responsible for adjusting the one-sided impression you left at the Village Pump, not I.
Gwickwire has now taken the ill-considered step of setting up a blog to collect everything he finds objectionable (which has a bewilderingly low threshold). The top post at the time of writing is virtually all me!

This is going to be good. :popcorn:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:43 pm

rhindle wrote:When are Seren and Prioryman going to start the House Unwikipedian Activities Committee?
Probably more like the Wikipedia Unwikipedian Warning Unit.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Hex wrote:
Zoloft wrote:I accept your apology, young man. But you are responsible for adjusting the one-sided impression you left at the Village Pump, not I.
Gwickwire has now taken the ill-considered step of setting up a blog to collect everything he finds objectionable (which has a bewilderingly low threshold). The top post at the time of writing is virtually all me!

This is going to be good. :popcorn:
The best case scenario is this kid grows up to be this guy (the worst case scenario is too ghastly to contemplate).

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Dindin lovemuffin?

Ok, this has to be trolling so hard it's actually trolling Wikipedia, not us!

Has anyone considered the possibility that this guy is actually Horsie/Phil?
:D

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Zoloft wrote:Dindin lovemuffin?

Ok, this has to be trolling so hard it's actually trolling Wikipedia, not us!

Has anyone considered the possibility that this guy is actually Horsie/Phil?
:D
It's gotten so extreme that I'm leaning an elaborate troll persona. On the one hand, early edits to the likely hometown high school are common for wanna-be-mall-cop kiddie editors; on the other hand people that know Wikipedia know this. Maybe he's just a dumb kid who also likes trolling? At any rate, any account owner who insists they've never edited Wikipedia before yet makes their very first edit to a template is suspicious.

As always, the important question is the one they don't dare allow themselves to ask: Would you hire "Gwickwire" to help write a serious reference work?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:58 pm

lilburne wrote:DemiJohn and his acolyte have both been block for a week, for posting shit about people.
Does anyone else find it creepy that this nasty person spends so much time "adopting" and "mentoring" children on wp?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Wow.

Go away for half a weekend and watch the situation go into full meltdown.

Demiurge and gwckwire blocked...

I'm literally laughing in the living room at this bed and breakfast to the point where people are coming by and asking what funny pictures I must be looking at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =543140535
This is the quintessential polite "Throw down, boy!" post I've seen on WP.
Well done.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am

After reading Gwickwire's recent comments on his talk and Village Pump pages, I think his parents need to intervene in his Wikipedia involvement immediately. Hopefully one of the ArbCom members or another Wikipedia administrator will email his parents and let them know what is going on. I'm sure it won't take them long because WP's administration is so well organized and efficient.

Lone Wolf
Contributor

Unread post by Lone Wolf » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 am

Cla68 wrote:After reading Gwickwire's recent comments on his talk and Village Pump pages, I think his parents need to intervene in his Wikipedia involvement immediately. Hopefully one of the ArbCom members or another Wikipedia administrator will email his parents and let them know what is going on. I'm sure it won't take them long because WP's administration is so well organized and efficient.

That would be very tempting if I had a point of contact.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Cla68 wrote:After reading Gwickwire's recent comments on his talk and Village Pump pages, I think his parents need to intervene in his Wikipedia involvement immediately. Hopefully one of the ArbCom members or another Wikipedia administrator will email his parents and let them know what is going on. I'm sure it won't take them long because WP's administration is so well organized and efficient.

That would be very tempting if I had a point of contact.
Email the kid and ask him for his parents' contact info and tell him why you want to know it. If he refuses to give it to you, then follow Wikipedia's administrative guidance on dealing with minor contributors who appear to be struggling in the WP environment. Are there written procedures for WP's admins to follow for this and other types of situations?

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 am

Cla68 wrote:Email the kid and ask him for his parents' contact info and tell him why you want to know it.
I'm... not sure that's a good idea.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:51 am

Mason wrote:
Cla68 wrote:Email the kid and ask him for his parents' contact info and tell him why you want to know it.
I'm... not sure that's a good idea.
Nope, it probably isn't. So, Wikipedia apparently has no way to deal with minor editors who show they are obviously out of their element.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:17 am

Mason wrote:I'm... not sure that's a good idea.
Presuming he is a minor, I am not even sure what contacting his parents would achieve. At best they would tell him to take a break from arguing with random people on the Internet and to be more careful about sharing his personal info online.

- Noam Chomsky

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:48 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Mason wrote:I'm... not sure that's a good idea.
Presuming he is a minor, I am not even sure what contacting his parents would achieve. At best they would tell him to take a break from arguing with random people on the Internet and to be more careful about sharing his personal info online.
Sort of "Get your jimjams on, brush your teath, and stop prancing about on your bed!"

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Placed inappropriate posts where the sun seldom visits. Cut it out or I'll send the responsible party on a vacation, also where the sun seldom visits.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone