Blackmail

Mason
Habitué
kołdry

Blackmail

Unread post by Mason » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Is is apparently now considered blackmail to threaten to stop donating to the WMF:
The Bushranger wrote:Anybody who pulls the "shut up or I take my money" card should be immedately blocked as being WP:NOTHERE. It's blackmail, and anybody who thinks blackmail is an acceptable tactic in any walk of life is somebody who should not be editing here. "unjustified threats to...cause loss to another unless a demand is met" sums it up pretty nicely. Either way it falls under the category of "general tomfoolery that doesn't belong 'round these parts".
Presumably if they agreed to resume donating they would then be allowed to edit again?

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Re: Blackmail

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:52 pm

That little piece of idiocy (it gets even worse if you read the thread) came from one of their senior editors (an administrator) who calls himself The Bushranger (T-C-L).

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

I don't intend to contribute. They can block me at any time.

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

First they get you to work for free, then they tell you that you can't do the work unless you pay them. Nice.

Malik Shabazz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Malik Shabazz

Unread post by Malik Shabazz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 pm

charliemouse wrote:I don't intend to contribute. They can block me at any time.
Me too.

I work for free. That's enough of a contribution.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm

DanMurphy wrote:That little piece of idiocy (it gets even worse if you read the thread) came from one of their senior editors (an administrator) who calls himself The Bushranger (T-C-L).
Who is quite the Wiki-freak Wiki-mutant. More on him later.

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:32 am

Personally I think they should just go ahead and demand a credit card receipt for donations before you're allowed to edit. 10 bucks buys you 1000 edits. Just whatever you do, do not prohibit anonymous IPs from editing!!!! since that would drive down editor count.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 am

Volunteer Marek wrote:Personally I think they should just go ahead and demand a credit card receipt for donations before you're allowed to edit. 10 bucks buys you 1000 edits. Just whatever you do, do not prohibit anonymous IPs from editing!!!! since that would drive down editor count.
There's also the Free-to-play (T-H-L) model. You can edit like a regular editor, but rollback, Twinkle, reviewer rights, etc. would require paying a fee. Instead of serving a block or ban, you could pay a substantial fine. The poor Wikipedians would complain of unfairness, but the WMF would satisfy them with financial loans with high interest rates and heavy late fees. Of course, that would mean putting up collateral and mean that the WMF would legally be able to take your (or your parent's) house along as well as other property.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

The Joy wrote:There's also the Free-to-play (T-H-L) model. You can edit like a regular editor, but rollback, Twinkle, reviewer rights, etc. would require paying a fee. Instead of serving a block or ban, you could pay a substantial fine. The poor Wikipedians would complain of unfairness, but the WMF would satisfy them with financial loans with high interest rates and heavy late fees. Of course, that would mean putting up collateral and mean that the WMF would legally be able to take your (or your parent's) house along as well as other property.
But then you might be able to sue the WMF, or individual admins or Arbcom, for example if you are blocked unfairly.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Outsider wrote:
The Joy wrote:There's also the Free-to-play (T-H-L) model. You can edit like a regular editor, but rollback, Twinkle, reviewer rights, etc. would require paying a fee. Instead of serving a block or ban, you could pay a substantial fine. The poor Wikipedians would complain of unfairness, but the WMF would satisfy them with financial loans with high interest rates and heavy late fees. Of course, that would mean putting up collateral and mean that the WMF would legally be able to take your (or your parent's) house along as well as other property.
But then you might be able to sue the WMF, or individual admins or Arbcom, for example if you are blocked unfairly.
Nah, just handle it like Linden Dollars (T-H-L) or Angry Birds Bucks or Itchy & Scratchy Money or whatever. Games companies are quite expert at permanently separating you from actual money in favor of non-redeemable tokens and credits... I'm sure the WMF could pick that technique up pretty quickly.