TungstenCarbide
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Re: Wikimania 2014

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Hex wrote:This presentation sounds interesting: History of the Murder of Meredith Kercher Article
This proposal will involve a combined Presentation/Panel Discussion of about 45 minutes about the Murder of Meredith Kercher (MoMK) Article. The submitter is one of about a dozen editors blocked since 2010 for their participation in the topic. All those blocked had argued that the article did not treat Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito fairly.

The Murder of Meredith Kercher article is probably the most troubled entry in Wikipedia’s history and one that has caused profound harm to living human beings. This presentation will include discussion by three reliable sources not included in the article and a UK based university professor who has authored an academic paper about the MoMK Wikipedia coverage.
Anything that's described as including "significant criticism of the English Language Wikipedia Arbitration Committee" has got to be worth attending.
Agree, and also check out the talk page for further insight.
Another thread on this topic.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
The selection is made by the Program Committee which includes James Forrester (T-C-L), Sarah Stierch, Philippe Beaudette (T-C-L), all of whom I am sure will be favourably disposed towards my submission. We mustn’t forget Tom Morris (T-C-L), who was involved in the infamous ‘Peter Damian sex doll’ IRC chat incident. So it’s bound to be accepted.

Jonathan Cardy mentioned that it would be partly based on the number of people who sign up. Sadly, there is little interest in the subject of the humanities. Software presentations seem much more popular.
Wait: Sarah Stierch is still on the Wikimania Programme Committee? ROFL!
At least someone updated her Wikimania bio entry recently.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 am

Anthonyhcole wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:
Anthonyhcole wrote:(Would a mod please merge this thread with this same-named thread from several months earlier?)

Is anybody from WO speaking at Wikimania 2014? Is there any interest in a WO meet-up at or around the time of the conference?
Indeed there is. Happy to meet up with anyone when finalised. There have already been WO meetups in London, by the way.
That does sound interesting. I'm still in two minds about attending the conference. It's a long haul from Australia.
Everyone who wants to go who needs to get a on plane to go there should apply for a WMF travel sponsorship.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
thekohser wrote:I'll be happy to present -- just need my airfare paid by the WMF. Or, I'll consent to a webinar for a nominal fee ($500).
Man, if $500 is "nominal" to you, you're buying the beer scotch for MSU v. Ducks.
$500 is a very low fee for a public speaking engagement. My "day rate" is $600, and Greg's well above my payscale. You're showing your lack of real-world experience, Tim.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:49 am

Kelly Martin wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
thekohser wrote:I'll be happy to present -- just need my airfare paid by the WMF. Or, I'll consent to a webinar for a nominal fee ($500).
Man, if $500 is "nominal" to you, you're buying the beer scotch for MSU v. Ducks.
$500 is a very low fee for a public speaking engagement. My "day rate" is $600, and Greg's well above my payscale. You're showing your lack of real-world experience, Tim.
I'm a man of the people, what can I say?

tim

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:25 am

Randy from Boise wrote:

tim
Tim, it's nominal to the WMF. To me, it's "woo hoo" money.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:48 pm

300 words is too much says Andy Mabbett.

Here are my 300 words by the way. There is still time to sign up. Two members of WO have already done so. The section on “Why scholars are not yet using wikis” will not pull any punches.
The medieval period spans the fourth century to the fifteenth century – more than a thousand years. During that period, scholars produced works that filled whole libraries, and laid the foundations for modern science and scholarship. The work produced during that period is part of the sum of human knowledge, yet little of it is accessible to us. Only a small percentage of medieval writing is available in modern printed editions, and even less is available to those who do not understand medieval Latin or ancient Greek.

This presentation discusses ways of using wiki technology to make the sum of medieval knowledge available to everyone on the planet. It will include:

A brief introduction to medieval thought, and how it connects Greek and Roman culture with the modern world.

How Greek science was transmitted using manuscripts. The difficulty of reading and understanding manuscripts, and how the use of wikis could help this process. The difficulty of open access to manuscripts.

Medieval culture and its contribution to the modern world.

The difference between an ‘edition’ and a ‘critical edition’. Why most critical editions are still on paper.

The business model of current academic publishing, and why it is difficult to create a new model.

How wikis could help scholars create editions online.

Putting modern critical editions online. Can there be copyright on works written 700 years ago?

Translating Latin and Greek texts into English and other languages. Why Google translator works for modern languages but not so well for ancient ones.

Overview of online scholarly communities. Why scholars are not yet using wikis.
Ways in which the wiki movement could help scholars understand and use wikis better.

Ways in which scholars could help the wiki community to capture, summarise and store knowledge better.

The talk will provide information about an important and substantial field of scholarship that is still not well understood in the wiki community. There is a need for scholars to understand wikis better, but there is also a need for the wiki community to understand the scholarly community better. The presentation will suggest ideas on how to build a bridge between the two communities, and will look to the audience for further ideas.

It will include exhibits such as an early printed book, a manuscript copy, and examples of software used to transfer early written or printed material online.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:09 pm

The submissions are being reviewed now. And Sarah Stierch is voting. The first section to be judged is ‘wikiculture and community’.

This gives an ominous sense of the direction of voting. E.g. This very strange entry gets nearly top marks ("Wikimedia Commons - which is as you know the most wonderful Wikimedia project").

And this is so far the runaway winner of that section. “Growing a Culture of Kindness”. “How can we grow a culture of kindness in the Wikimedia movement?”. Suggestions include recognising kindness, identifying people who are nice to others, software tools to thank people, including ‘Flow’. “Reaching out to content experts’ sounds an interesting one, I wonder how that will go down. “Make it easy and joyful to find things to do!”

Actually I wonder if I really should have been expecting anything else.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Meh I was going to lodge a submission for a moderated discussion panel involving some of Wikipedia's critics, worker bees and true believers. Sadly I took on a new contract just before Christmas and lost complete track of the submissions process.... Guess its closed now? -edit- I see end of March. Ah well, maybe in Bali ;)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:47 pm

That is the one guy I would never ask about "civility" or "helping people".
Walling is a complete shit, and it still amazes me that he remains on the payroll.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Image
Let me suggest an easy, fun thing for Walling to do that would help everyone out.

Stay off Wikipedia, you chicken-stroker.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat May 10, 2014 12:10 am

The Wikimania 2014 wiki front page tells us that one of the event sponsors is... Tupperware. Anybody want to have a go at unpicking that one?
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat May 10, 2014 1:04 am

Hex wrote:The Wikimania 2014 wiki front page tells us that one of the event sponsors is... Tupperware. Anybody want to have a go at unpicking that one?
Tupperware? Really?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat May 10, 2014 4:49 am

:axemurderer:

...why don't you two guys (you know who you are)

...just light me on fire for laughs?

:shrug:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat May 10, 2014 4:51 am

Zoloft wrote: :axemurderer:

Worst. Spa. Ever.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat May 10, 2014 4:54 am

Zoloft wrote: :axemurderer:

My suggestion was funnier. :P

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 1:27 am

Kelly Martin wrote:
Hex wrote:The Wikimania 2014 wiki front page tells us that one of the event sponsors is... Tupperware. Anybody want to have a go at unpicking that one?
Tupperware? Really?
Really. For no obvious reason whatsoever; a bit of searching for combinations of "Tupperware" and "Wikimedia" or "Wikimania" isn't finding anything for me. I've emailed Ed Saperia asking him to shed some light on it.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun May 25, 2014 1:46 am

Hex wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:
Tupperware? Really?
Really. For no obvious reason whatsoever; a bit of searching for combinations "Tupperware" and "Wikimedia" or "Wikimania" isn't finding anything for me. I've emailed Ed Saperia asking him to shed some light on it.
You guys don't know this one? One of the few I do know. It's not Tupperware and Wikipedia. It's a big wig at Tupperware and Wikipedia's Transcendental Meditation fringe view pushers.

I saw Tupperware and laughed so hard I blew coke out my nose.

Lol.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 2:00 am

enwikibadscience wrote: You guys don't know this one? One of the few I do know. It's not Tupperware and Wikipedia. It's a big wig at Tupperware and Wikipedia's Transcendental Meditation fringe view pushers.

Please do tell....
enwikibadscience wrote: I saw Tupperware and laughed so hard I blew coke out my nose.
When I read your comment above I nearly dropped my syringe!

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun May 25, 2014 2:23 am

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote: You guys don't know this one? One of the few I do know. It's not Tupperware and Wikipedia. It's a big wig at Tupperware and Wikipedia's Transcendental Meditation fringe view pushers.

Please do tell....
enwikibadscience wrote: I saw Tupperware and laughed so hard I blew coke out my nose.
When I read your comment above I nearly dropped my syringe!
Oops.

It is old, but one of the only behind-the-scenes stories I know about editing Wikipedia is that the TM movement has been more successful than almost any other cult in large scale manipulation of en.Wikipedia articles about them. At one time it was a serious whitewash of all good over neutral, and last I heard still successful. (I am not following, just learned about this for an academic interest in cults.)

The head of Tupperware is a hardcore adherent to TM. I thought it was pretty funny to see they are sponsoring Wikimania.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun May 25, 2014 2:31 am

TM and Tupperware.

I would suggest searching this site and Google on TM and Wikipedia, then some background on how TM manipulates their image.

This is purchased PR.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 3:03 am

enwikibadscience wrote: It is old, but one of the only behind-the-scenes stories I know about editing Wikipedia is that the TM movement has been more successful than almost any other cult in large scale manipulation of en.Wikipedia articles about them. At one time it was a serious whitewash of all good over neutral, and last I heard still successful. (I am not following, just learned about this for an academic interest in cults.)
That's interesting. I know it's been a "hot-button area" for a while, I'm sure various people here can comment on it in detail.
enwikibadscience wrote: The head of Tupperware is a hardcore adherent to TM. I thought it was pretty funny to see they are sponsoring Wikimania.
It is funny now that you point it out. Unsurprisingly, his article, Rick Goings (T-H-L), was created by Will Beback (T-C-L), and heavily edited by Keithbob (T-C-L), two of the big players in the fighting over TM topics on Wikipedia.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun May 25, 2014 4:01 am

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote: It is old, but one of the only behind-the-scenes stories I know about editing Wikipedia is that the TM movement has been more successful than almost any other cult in large scale manipulation of en.Wikipedia articles about them. At one time it was a serious whitewash of all good over neutral, and last I heard still successful. (I am not following, just learned about this for an academic interest in cults.)
That's interesting. I know it's been a "hot-button area" for a while, I'm sure various people here can comment on it in detail.
enwikibadscience wrote: The head of Tupperware is a hardcore adherent to TM. I thought it was pretty funny to see they are sponsoring Wikimania.
It is funny now that you point it out. Unsurprisingly, his article, Rick Goings (T-H-L), was created by Will Beback (T-C-L), and heavily edited by Keithbob (T-C-L), two of the big players in the fighting over TM topics on Wikipedia.
What was it that you just hid in Goings' bio?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am

[font]Courier New|02:55, 25 May 2014 Scott (talk | contribs) changed visibility of a revision on page Rick Goings: edit summary hidden (RD2: Violations of the biographies of living persons policy)
02:54, 25 May 2014 Scott (talk | contribs) changed visibility of 6 revisions on page Rick Goings: content hidden (RD2: Violations of the biographies of living persons policy)[/font]

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 12:23 pm

tarantino wrote: What was it that you just hid in Goings' bio?
A single-use account had inserted a block of commentary about his relationship history and some details about his children. It was unpleasant stuff that appeared to be based in a personal grudge.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun May 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Hex wrote:
A single-use account had inserted a block of commentary about his relationship history and some details about his children. It was unpleasant stuff that appeared to be based in a personal grudge.
Good and appropriate work on your part, Scott.

I wonder if there have been issues lately, thus a reason for sponsoring Wikimania, the cynic in me asks. Rampant violations of BLP policies are the norm on en.Wikipedia. Good for Tupperware, umHahck, for figuring out a way to deal with it?

Who knows. But it was a nose blowing (just for you Scott) laugh for me.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Hex wrote:
That's a great encyclopedia you've got there.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 1:41 pm

thekohser wrote: That's a great encyclopedia you've got there.
I know, right?

That said, it wasn't in the live article. The material in question was added in two blocks on a day last September. The first was removed by ClueBot in under a minute and the second, an hour later, by a human, two minutes after its insertion. I took the additional step of removing its visibility in the page's history.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sun May 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Hex wrote:
thekohser wrote: That's a great encyclopedia you've got there.
I know, right?

That said, it wasn't in the live article. The material in question was added in two blocks on a day last September. The first was removed by ClueBot in under a minute and the second, an hour later, by a human, two minutes after its insertion. I took the additional step of removing its visibility in the page's history.
It's unfortunate that not nearly enough Wikipedians understand that noncurrent revisions of articles are still being "published" by the WMF, and thus still need to be policed for such inappropriate content. Such policing does occur, but only on a scattershot, random basis, with only a fraction of such problems ever being caught.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Hex wrote:
Don't just hide it, report it. If that is a Will Beback sock, which is quite possible, he violated his editing restrictions AND defamed someone. Months ago.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 25, 2014 8:53 pm

EricBarbour wrote: Don't just hide it, report it. If that is a Will Beback sock, which is quite possible, he violated his editing restrictions AND defamed someone. Months ago.
It's not, trust me. And its operator is long gone.

ErrantX
Critic
Wikipedia User: ErrantX

Unread post by ErrantX » Thu May 29, 2014 10:41 am

TungstenCarbide wrote:
Peter Damian wrote:
Hex wrote:This presentation sounds interesting: History of the Murder of Meredith Kercher Article
This proposal will involve a combined Presentation/Panel Discussion of about 45 minutes about the Murder of Meredith Kercher (MoMK) Article. The submitter is one of about a dozen editors blocked since 2010 for their participation in the topic. All those blocked had argued that the article did not treat Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito fairly.

The Murder of Meredith Kercher article is probably the most troubled entry in Wikipedia’s history and one that has caused profound harm to living human beings. This presentation will include discussion by three reliable sources not included in the article and a UK based university professor who has authored an academic paper about the MoMK Wikipedia coverage.
Anything that's described as including "significant criticism of the English Language Wikipedia Arbitration Committee" has got to be worth attending.
Agree, and also check out the talk page for further insight.
Another thread on this topic.
Could be quite interesting; although more likely it is just another screed.

Having spent a lot of time pissing off every "side" on that article by forcing them to focus on discussion, sourcing and slowing the fuck down (one week I recall it swung from martyring Knox to outright slandering her about 15 times) I'm not encouraged that it's any better today (is she guilty or not at the minute??).

I could talk for about 2 days on that history... but I doubt anyone would like it much. PhanuelB included ;)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Tupperware, then.

I emailed someone at the WMF:
Hex wrote: I noticed that Tupperware is one of the sponsors for Wikimania 2014. Can you tell me what that involves for them, and how it came to be? Is it documented in public anywhere?
I got the reply back (I hope they won't mind me quoting verbatim since this is factual stuff):
WMF wrote: Tupperware is a cash sponsor of the event at the $10,000 level. They will receive event tickets and logo recognition benefits at the conference.
I replied:
Hex wrote: My main query is really, how did Tupperware come to be a sponsor in this fashion? With no offense meant to the company, many of whose products grace my kitchen shelves, I can't see what their connection to or interest in the movement is.

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this.
The reply was:
WMF wrote: Tupperware and their executives were supporters of the Foundation before this event, and when they learned about it, they were interested in supporting it too.
Trying to get any more out of them seemed like it would be fruitless, so I left it there. Make of that what you will.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Hex wrote:Tupperware, then.

Hex wrote: I noticed that Tupperware is one of the sponsors for Wikimania 2014. Can you tell me what that involves for them, and how it came to be? Is it documented in public anywhere?
I got the reply back (I hope they won't mind me quoting verbatim since this is factual stuff):
WMF wrote: Tupperware is a cash sponsor of the event at the $10,000 level. They will receive event tickets and logo recognition benefits at the conference.
I replied:
Hex wrote: My main query is really, how did Tupperware come to be a sponsor in this fashion? With no offense meant to the company, many of whose products grace my kitchen shelves, I can't see what their connection to or interest in the movement is.

The reply was:
WMF wrote: Tupperware and their executives were supporters of the Foundation before this event, and when they learned about it, they were interested in supporting it too.
Trying to get any more out of them seemed like it would be fruitless, so I left it there. Make of that what you will.
Try lifting one corner of their lid and 'burping' the container.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Zoloft wrote:Try lifting one corner of their lid and 'burping' the container.
Patented Vigilant method:

* Add an egg and a cup of milk.
* Tape the lid shut.
* Stand in the sun for a couple of days.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Hex wrote:Tupperware, then.

The reply was:
Maybe you could ask Lightwave25 (T-C-L), Esteele1 (T-C-L), or Frosszelnick (T-C-L) what they think the reason is.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 pm

I just watched File:Jimmy Wales Wikimania London 2014.webm (T-H-L) where Jimbo's talking about why they should pick London. Is it just me or is he wearing too many clothes to make himself look bigger. His body language and voice is also quite a nervous manner; is this saying something?

BTW, it was shot back in February 2013.
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Peryglus wrote:I just watched File:Jimmy Wales Wikimania London 2014.webm (T-H-L) where Jimbo's talking about why they should pick London. Is it just me or is he wearing too many clothes to make himself look bigger. His body language and voice is also quite a nervous manner; is this saying something?

BTW, it was shot back in February 2013.
He began his prepared talk with "So,". Therefore...

http://blog.dictionary.com/sentence-initial-so/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/us/22 ... rents.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nipulation

At 0:56, I think he suppresses a belch.

He does look kind of pale, but I'm not getting the odd impressions that you seem to be getting.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 pm

thekohser wrote:At 0:56, I think he suppresses a belch.
At Wikipediocracy, we believe in hard-hitting, exigent analysis.
This is a derivative work from this source: link It is released under CC-BY-SA 3.0, license found on the same link.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Capsot
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Capsot
Actual Name: Claudi Balaguer

Unread post by Capsot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to tell you that the names of the grantees have been made public. There are probably many interesting things hiding between the chosen ones: link but you probably already knew it.
Have a good night (and afternoon for the ones living in the States and Canada, morning for the Australians) and a great weekend,
Claudi/Capsot
PS: One of the best pictures of Jimbo ever!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:36 am

Capsot wrote:PS: One of the best pictures of Jimbo ever!
Good point, and I'm going to use it.....

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Pedants Unite! Wikipedia Conference Opens Tomorrow
Londonist 5 August 2014 link
Five days of editing, citing sources, open data and knowledge-sharing get underway tomorrow when the tenth Wikipedia Summit opens at The Barbican Centre. Dubbed Wikimania, the annual gathering of fans of and contributors to the world’s fifth largest website [citation needed] will include debates, workshops, meet-ups and presentations by luminaries from the worlds of science and technology. Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales will start proceedings with a keynote speech on 7 August. After the celebrations, the main conference programme opens on 8 August, so if you ever wanted to know how to Grow the Awesome in your Programs [sic], or How to Stay out of Jail and use Wikimedia Commons, you know where to head. [...]

1 Comment

Alastair Rae • 2 hours ago
Maybe they can discuss the relentless bullying that drives subject experts off the site.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Is it just a coincidence that this kicks off on Jimbo's (two) birthdays?

Peter Damian
Habitué

Unread post by Peter Damian » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 am

I am about to go to my second day of Wikimania. Last night was awesome. Ed Saperia kicked off with an awesome speech about a new era in humankind when machines and people will interact to form a new species. Jimmy was awesome too, and spoke of bringing the sum of human knowledge to every one on the planet. We are creating knowledge as we speak. Lila came on "Hello London, hello Wikimania". The crowd leapt to its feet in a spontaneous ovation of rapturous applause. I was completely overcome by the spirit of the thing and I now realise the movement is bigger than any single one of us or any group of us.

We all sang "Happy Birthday" to Jimmy in perfect tune.

The young German Wikipedian sitting next to me was overcome too. "This is the only place where two thousand geeks can come and meet! We only come out of the darkness rarely! We normally sit in our basement and edit Wikipedia!" Despite practically collapsing with emotion he leaned over to the different people in the other rows, clasping their hand in the spirit of wikilove.

No one speaks of anything bad here, everything is good.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 am

Holy shit, they got PD!

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 am

Your heartfelt words have truly moved me, PD! Curse this job that I have to work at today and thus miss a life-changing day of Wikimania. But I'll see you there on Saturday. We can sing joyful songs of Wiki Progress together in harmony.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am

Last edited by Hex on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 am

Chealsye Bowley
@chealsye

Sitting next to a fellow attendee that looks to be about 10 or 11. Most fantastic conference! #Wikimania2014

12:04pm · 8 Aug 2014

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:32 am

T. Mättig
@maettig

Mind blowing #Wikimania2014 hackathon finding: MediaWiki's Tahitian (ty) translation claimed "August" to be "July" since 2007. Very ouch.

12:29pm · 8 Aug 2014
Hey forum mods! It would be pretty great if you could code up a BBCode tag for embedding tweets. That would save a bunch of typing. I've whipped up a thing to retrieve tweets from the Twitter API; the tag would just need to wrap it in an iframe. Send me a PM if you're interested.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Hex wrote:
Chealsye Bowley
@chealsye

Sitting next to a fellow attendee that looks to be about 10 or 11. Most fantastic conference! #Wikimania2014

12:04pm · 8 Aug 2014
Jailbait, eh, Cheals?