"I am asking you as an administrator."

rnu
Habitué
kołdry

"I am asking you as an administrator."

Unread post by rnu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm

JDiala (T-C-L) had three quotes on his user page:
"Young Palestinians do not go out to murder Jews because they are Jews, but because we are their occupiers, their torturers, their jailers, the thieves of their land and water, their exilers, the demolishers of their homes, the blockers of their horizon. Young Palestinians, vengeful and desperate, are willing to lose their lives and cause their families great pain because the enemy they face proves every day that its malice has no limits." - Amira Hass (T-H-L)

“Does the world expect us to be well-behaved victims while we are being killed, for us to be slaughtered without making a noise?” - Yahya Sinwar (T-H-L)

"No one in the universe can disarm us. On the contrary, we will continue to have the power to protect our citizens." - Yahya Sinwar (T-H-L)
FortunateSons (T-C-L) asked them to remove the two Sinwar quotes on the grounds that they "meet the standard for both offensive content (for rather obvious reasons), and condoning violence".
JDiala responded that they believe that the quotes are allowed, but also said:
Talk Page wrote:If I am asked to remove any particular material on my user page by an administrator, I will oblige.
A discussion at AN was inconclusive.
So Doug Weller (T-C-L) took JDiala up on their original response:
Talk page wrote:The ANI close was ambiguous, but I am asking you as an Administrator to remove them. Thanks. Doug Weller talk 09:54, 26 April 2024 (UTC)
I am not sure that JDiala meant "if an administrator asks me even if it is without policy basis or admin authority", but they seem to be satisfied.

Follow up discussion about the rules for user pages: (ongoing / permanent)
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

nableezy
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: nableezy

Re: "I am asking you as an administrator."

Unread post by nableezy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm
"Young Palestinians do not go out to murder Jews because they are Jews, but because we are their occupiers, their torturers, their jailers, the thieves of their land and water, their exilers, the demolishers of their homes, the blockers of their horizon. Young Palestinians, vengeful and desperate, are willing to lose their lives and cause their families great pain because the enemy they face proves every day that its malice has no limits." - Amira Hass (T-H-L)

“Does the world expect us to be well-behaved victims while we are being killed, for us to be slaughtered without making a noise?” - Yahya Sinwar (T-H-L)

"No one in the universe can disarm us. On the contrary, we will continue to have the power to protect our citizens." - Yahya Sinwar (T-H-L)
FortunateSons (T-C-L) asked them to remove the two Sinwar quotes on the grounds that they "meet the standard for both offensive content (for rather obvious reasons), and condoning violence".
JDiala responded that they believe that the quotes are allowed, but also said:
Talk Page wrote:If I am asked to remove any particular material on my user page by an administrator, I will oblige.
A discussion at AN was inconclusive.
So Doug Weller (T-C-L) took JDiala up on their original response:
Talk page wrote:The ANI close was ambiguous, but I am asking you as an Administrator to remove them. Thanks. Doug Weller talk 09:54, 26 April 2024 (UTC)
I am not sure that JDiala meant "if an administrator asks me even if it is without policy basis or admin authority", but they seem to be satisfied.

Follow up discussion about the rules for user pages: (ongoing / permanent)
It was amazing watching people argue that the Jewish daughter of two Holocaust survivors was giving a justification for the murder of Jews, when her point was that Palestinians don't kill Israeli Jews because they are Jews, but rather because they are their oppressors. See also Mohammed el-Kurd: Jewish settlers stole my house. It’s not my fault they’re Jewish
. The other shit about Sinwar was standard majority Wikipedian behavior, rules for thee but not for me. Not the best idea to have them, but incredibly hypocritical to demand they be removed.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

nableezy wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm
[...]

It was amazing watching people argue that the Jewish daughter of two Holocaust survivors was giving a justification for the murder of Jews, when her point was that Palestinians don't kill Israeli Jews because they are Jews, but rather because they are their oppressors. See also Mohammed el-Kurd: Jewish settlers stole my house. It’s not my fault they’re Jewish
. The other shit about Sinwar was standard majority Wikipedian behavior, rules for thee but not for me. Not the best idea to have them, but incredibly hypocritical to demand they be removed.
On Hass:
Galamore wrote:She is considered fringe even among the left in Israel and is known for stirring great controversy with her views and style.
Clearly she is a Self-hating Jew (T-H-L). I mean just look at her name: "Hass", that's German for "hate"! What more proof do you need???
:sarcasm:

JDiala
Wikipedia User: JDiala

Unread post by JDiala » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm

I acceded to the demand because I did indicate previously I would remove it if told by an admin, so as a matter of honour I had to abide by that promise. The issue of policy or admin authority never occurred to me, as I erroneously thought individual admins could make these judgements unilaterally.

Anyways, It's not really the hill worth dying on, so I dropped it. Still, I stand by the quotes, and I reject the notion that support for Hamas should be outside the legitimate political discourse.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:19 pm

JDiala wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm
I acceded to the demand because I did indicate previously I would remove it if told by an admin, so as a matter of honour I had to abide by that promise. The issue of policy or admin authority never occurred to me, as I erroneously thought individual admins could make these judgements unilaterally.

Anyways, It's not really the hill worth dying on, so I dropped it. Still, I stand by the quotes, and I reject the notion that support for Hamas should be outside the legitimate political discourse.
Where to draw that line?

Hezbolla?
Isis?

What about white nationalism?

What about the modern gop?

This seems like the axiomatic slippery slope.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:13 pm

Boy am I glad I took a pass on this whole situation.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Wed May 01, 2024 12:07 am

JDiala wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm
I reject the notion that support for Hamas should be outside the legitimate political discourse.
In the world we see today, is anything else reasonable. Much discussion may still take place of course.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed May 01, 2024 12:14 am

Welcome to WPO, JDiala.

t

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed May 01, 2024 12:15 am

ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:13 pm
I always take a pass on contemporary politics. No good can come of it.

t

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed May 01, 2024 12:49 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:15 am
ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:13 pm
I always take a pass on contemporary politics. No good can come of it.

t
Yeah, I started reading that thread and was like ....uh.... nope....
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed May 01, 2024 2:44 pm

What's wrong with the first Sinwar quote?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed May 01, 2024 2:46 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:44 pm
What's wrong with the first Sinwar quote?
The "official" concern was that it (allegedly) advocates violence. But some people objected simply on the basis that it is a Sinwar quote.

Sennalen
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Sennalen

Unread post by Sennalen » Sat May 04, 2024 6:43 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm
"Young Palestinians do not go out to murder Jews because they are Jews
Citation needed. I think there have been a bunch that do exactly that, quite famously.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Sat May 04, 2024 7:06 pm

I think anyone thinking there is only one side that goes out determined to kill "another side" is... wishfully thinking.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."