kołdry
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Articles that cite Google search as a ref

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Let me begin with a Good Article.

The Simpsons Ride (T-H-L)

From the History section:
Planning for The Simpsons Ride started two years prior to its opening. Simpsons creators James L. Brooks and Matt Groening, as well as executive producer and current showrunner Al Jean, collaborated with the Universal Studios creative team, Universal Creative, to help develop the ride.[10] Music for the ride was composed by Jim Dooley, who worked with composer Hans Zimmer on the feature film and video game.[8] The ride is located at both Universal Studios Florida and Universal Studios Hollywood in the former Back to the Future: The Ride buildings at both locations. The Back to the Future opened in Florida in 1991 and closed March 30, 2007, while the Hollywood version opened in 1993 and closed on September 3, 2007.[11]

The construction began at Universal Studios Florida in May 2007, and the original concrete on the ground from Back to the Future: The Ride was dismantled and replaced by a red and blue ground holding trees and benches.[1] The building was given a complete overhaul; the cars were changed and the original Intamin mechanics system was updated by Oceaneering International.[12][13] The construction began at Universal Studios Hollywood in mid-September 2007, with the disposal of the building's Back to the Future insignia. Outdoor painting on the building began in January 2008.[14] In the summer of 2013, shortly after the Springfield U.S.A. land opened near the ride, the Universal Studios Florida version of the ride received notable projection system upgrades, as well as adding a few new lines for Homer recorded by Dan Castellaneta. In April 2022, the Universal Studios Hollywood ride reopened from refurbishment with an updated soundtrack and slightly altered timings. As a result of the 2019 Acquisition of 20th Century Fox by the Walt Disney Company, The Simpsons are now a Disney owned intellectual property.[15] Unlike the Marvel licensing agreement signed in 1994 granting Universal Destinations & Experiences the rights to use those characters in perpetuity,[16] The licensing agreement between 20th Century Fox and Universal Destinations & Experiences was 20 years in length, presumably ending in either 2027 or 2028.[17]
Bolded for emphasis

Here's Reference #17:

"simpsons ride contract with universal - Google Search". www.google.com. Retrieved 2024-03-20.

Googling is all that is needed to create a ref, even for Good Articles. No need to read the actual links within the Google search results! Never mind the fact that Google search results can vary by user and can change over time! :banana:

Kraken
Banned

Re: Articles that cite Google search as a ref

Unread post by Kraken » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:14 pm

Tbf, they're only anticipating what a typical Wikipedia editor would do if confronted with a {citation needed}. Kinda helpful really.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Yngvadottir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Yngvadottir

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:29 pm
Let me begin with a Good Article.

The Simpsons Ride (T-H-L)
Hey Johnny, I've missed seeing your posts here!

Good Articles are in the main not very good, but as someone who dislikes the whole shtick, it's not my place to belabour that point. Someone had simply removed the bit referenced to a Google search, leaving an incomplete sentence, so I instead replaced it with a source. It's not a very good one, but after saving the article (leaving its inconsistent treatment of author names for someone else), I see it uses theme park fan sites, which I'd rejected as poor sources.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:55 pm

Thank you so much!

Jip Orlando
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Jip Orlando

Unread post by Jip Orlando » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm

I was playing the Random Article game and came across this: List of pipeline accidents in the United States in 1993 (T-H-L). Check out some of the refs. "Google News Archive Search". IABot has done it's thing by archiving the link but doesn't always work.

Yngvadottir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Yngvadottir

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 pm

Jip Orlando wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm
I was playing the Random Article game and came across this: List of pipeline accidents in the United States in 1993 (T-H-L). Check out some of the refs. "Google News Archive Search". IABot has done it's thing by archiving the link but doesn't always work.
I clicked on a couple and that's lazy mislabelling of the refs; they actually go to the relevant newspaper articles. Hopefully nobody will remove them all before I or someone else adds the headline. It would be lovely if "Google search" in a ref always meant "working link to Google News Archive"!

Jip Orlando
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Jip Orlando

Unread post by Jip Orlando » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 pm

Yngvadottir wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 pm
Jip Orlando wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm
I clicked on a couple and that's lazy mislabelling of the refs; they actually go to the relevant newspaper articles. Hopefully nobody will remove them all before I or someone else adds the headline. It would be lovely if "Google search" in a ref always meant "working link to Google News Archive"!
Yes, good catch! For some reason, they weren't rendering on my browser-- the preview shows something but the main viewing plane is blank. I wonder how many references are out there with Google tracking IDs, though.