It's the Freakiest Show - Perennial SpaceX Debate

yasslay
Contributor
kołdry

It's the Freakiest Show - Perennial SpaceX Debate

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:30 pm

Talk:SpaceX Starship#Starship IFT-3 - A perennial debate about the successfulness of a recent test flight.

Lots of dogma and original research involved. This has happened twice before, causing a lot of dramah. [1] [2] [3] [4]

I'll admit that I said some stupid things in prior discussions due to my unfamiliarity with Wikipedia at that time.

This even spawned an edit war. [5]

The horse carcass is so old that the bones can barely take a beating anymore.
:deadhorse:

edit: grammar

rnu
Habitué

Re: It's the Freakiest Show - Perennial SpaceX Debate

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:45 pm

yasslay wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:30 pm
Talk:SpaceX Starship#Starship IFT-3 - A perennial debate about the successfulness of a recent test flight.

Lots of dogma and original research involved. This has happened twice before, causing a lot of dramah. [1] [2] [3] [4]

I'll admit that I said some stupid things in prior discussions due to my unfamiliarity with Wikipedia at that time.

This even spawned an edit war. [5]

The horse carcass is so old that the bones can barely take a beating anymore.
:deadhorse:

True believers, doubters, nerds, breaking news and lots and lots of autism. The perfect mix for never ending Wikipedia drama.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Re: It's the Freakiest Show - Perennial blue eye-liner debate

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:36 am

I recall it being hyped as the next big retro thing as far back as 2008.
For context:
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:12 pm

You genuinely wonder who they think actually gives a fuck.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 pm

Just reminding you all that Wikipedia’s pettiest edit war is still ongoing, as if anyone actually cares.

That being said, I wonder if any participants in that discussion have a COI with SpaceX. Quite a few of the major contributors to the article seem to be extremely fanatical and biased towards it - some have even tried to argue that using SpaceX as a source would be reliable in this context! Shocker, I know.

As Kraken wisely said:
Kraken wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:12 pm
You genuinely wonder who they think actually gives a fuck.
They would be SpaceX fanboys and employees or hardline critics, all of which are crazies. (speaking from experience)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:05 pm

yasslay wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 pm
<snip>
About the picture... What does Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company in Scottsdale, AZ have to do with SpaceX?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:14 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:05 pm
yasslay wrote:
<snip>
About the picture... What does Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company in Scottsdale, AZ have to do with SpaceX?
She became quite infamous for featuring in an episode of Kitchen Nightmares where (1) she said and did some insane stuff which was memed to hell and (2) caused Gordon Ramsay, the host of the show to leave during filming due to her pompousness.

Example of one of the memes:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm

yasslay wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:14 pm
Zoloft wrote:
yasslay wrote:
<snip>
She became quite infamous for featuring in an episode of Kitchen Nightmares where (1) she said and did some insane stuff which was memed to hell and (2) caused Gordon Ramsay, the host of the show to leave during filming due to her pompousness.

[...]

I don't think it's your intention, but this does come off as at least somewhat sexist. Especially as we can safely assume that the overwhelming majority (if not all) of the crazies in this instance are male.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:31 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm
yasslay wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
yasslay wrote:
<snip>

[...]

I don't think it's your intention, but this does come off as at least somewhat sexist. Especially as we can safely assume that the overwhelming majority (if not all) of the crazies in this instance are male.
Omg no, not at all - I'm so sorry if it came across like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original intentions of the meme were sexist - should I edit the picture out?

Completely agree about the latter. Her husband was definitely far worse, if not downright cruel to other people.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:44 pm

yasslay wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:31 pm
rnu wrote:
yasslay wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
yasslay wrote:
<snip>

[...]

I wouldn't be surprised if the original intentions of the meme were sexist - should I edit the picture out?

Completely agree about the latter. Her husband was definitely far worse, if not downright cruel to other people.
Is the guy sitting next to her the husband? Yeah he makes her look sane.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:47 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:44 pm
yasslay wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:31 pm
rnu wrote:
yasslay wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
yasslay wrote:
<snip>

[...]

Is the guy sitting next to her the husband? Yeah he makes her look sane.
The one with the white hair? Yes. IIRC, he chased one of his customers out of the store before Ramsay arrived - it was insane. You can look it up on YouTube. He threatened to beat the customer up I believe. This was because they asked about their food not coming out on time. :yikes:

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:46 pm

Everything to do with any of Elon Musk's crap is bound to be loaded down with Muskmelons/Muskrats (take your pick of preferred name for worshippers of the Musky deity).

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:46 pm
Everything to do with any of Elon Musk's crap is bound to be loaded down with Muskmelons/Muskrats (take your pick of preferred name for worshippers of the Musky deity).
Well, this level of fanaticism is certainly something. I'm surprised that they haven't been topic banned from articles related to Elon Musk yet, broadly construed of course.

Another editor has been pageblocked for 2 weeks for edit warring. See the AN3 discussion here. (diff) (current link)

An editor (likely a friend) proceeded to offer to proxy for them (diff) and aspersed that one of their opponents was a sockpuppet despite having literally no evidence other than their knowledge regarding Wikipedia policies. Also, blatant canvassing. (diff) ToBeFree has been keeping them in check though, which I approve of.

I'm not surprised that all of the editors pageblocked so far are excessively supportive of SpaceX. The cynical part of me wonders if there's a cabal involved here.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm

An editor attempted to close the discussion, causing, ironically enough, yet another edit war. diff

I thought that it was a good close (reflective of consensus, recommended dispute resolution) but was completely discarded as the closer only has 95 edits at the time of posting so, obviously, they must be disqualified from doing anything remotely important to the inner workings of Wikipedia. :blink:

This is the type of stuff that's convinced me to stop contributing to Wikipedia. So much condescension and for what?