Priorities

rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Priorities

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:21 am

Someone editing from an ip registered to the Portland Public Schools (Oregon) posted:
diff wrote:I have a gun and 3 mags
A. B. (T-C-L) reported it at ANI, writing:
See User talk:159.191.159.254, especially this troubling edit: "I have a gun and 3 mags"].

This edit was made at 16:56 Pacific Daylight Time - 45 minutes ago.

The IP is registered to the Portland Public Schools (Oregon). A slightly earlier edit may reveal a name.

I am 99% confident this is just a kid mouthing off but the 1% chance it's more than that is alarming.

I'm not sure what to do with this. --A. B. (talk • contribs • global count) 00:43, 14 March 2024 (UTC)
331dot (T-C-L) pointed them to WP:EMERGENCY (T-H-L). Which should have been that. Until almost eight hours later Liz (T-C-L) felt the need to make sure that A. B. will get his priorities straight:
In the future, please go directly to the folks who handle these situations rather than posting this on a public noticeboard. Liz Read! Talk! 08:40, 14 March 2024 (UTC)

In AB's defence, they did say they didn't know what to do with it. — Czello (music) 09:43, 14 March 2024 (UTC)

In AB's not so defence, when you try to add a new topic to this page you are faced with this red READ THIS FIRST BEFORE PROCEEDING! notice.
– 2804:F14:80C6:A301:BDB5:2E3E:64E9:12A8 (talk) 10:28, 14 March 2024 (UTC)

Fair point. — Czello (music) 11:17, 14 March 2024 (UTC)

Ok, I screwed up. Guilty as charged.
No, I don’t always reread the big red box.
I was very worried and believed I was working against time if this was a real threat. It was already 45 minutes old.
This was real life.
I was urgently looking for help.
—A. B. (talk • contribs • global count) 12:54, 14 March 2024 (UTC)
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Elinruby
Habitué

Re: Priorities

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:26 am

Yeah not impressed with that emergency number.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:27 am

People could have been fucking killed. Complete mindhive from Liz: it is more important that some procedure is followed than we recognize we should actually
something...
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:21 am
A.B. wrote: I was urgently looking for help.
I'm not going to fault A.B. for not knowing what to do in this situation. I'm not going to fault them for not reading the instructions when posting to ANI. But if you can't figure out how to find out that information for yourself after being on Wikipedia for almost 20 years, there's something wrong. Every page on Wikipedia has a search box.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:37 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 am
rnu wrote:
I'm not going to fault A.B. for not knowing what to do in this situation. I'm not going to fault them for not reading the instructions when posting to ANI. But if you can't figure out how to find out that information for yourself after being on Wikipedia for almost 20 years, there's something wrong. Every page on Wikipedia has a search box.
Given the wikipediot fixation with coming up with unique new names for everything, there’s a real chance they didn’t know where to start.

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:40 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
rnu wrote:
When the clock is ticking, which is faster -- asking someone who already knows the answer?

Or doing an online search and going through the search results to find the relevant result?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:03 am

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:40 am
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
rnu wrote:
When the clock is ticking, which is faster -- asking someone who already knows the answer?

Or doing an online search and going through the search results to find the relevant result?
I recently reported what looked like a suicide note. It doesn't matter if you read the instructions. You wind up in a deserted Kiwi IRC link. I wound up asking for help here ffs because I don't have admins on speed dial

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:08 am

For what it's worth, the email address listed in WP:EMERGENCY (T-H-L) has a quick response time.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:22 am

redbaron wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:08 am
For what it's worth, the email address listed in WP:EMERGENCY (T-H-L) has a quick response time.
about fifteen minutes. Part 2 of the instructions says tell an administrator if you aren't immediately contacted. Tbs contact consisted of an email saying someone had opened a Zendesk ticket. I kept reminding myself that they were in Britain so they probably didn't have a gun, as following the flipping instructions led me to a Google Play download link for Discord.

As far as I can tell the person was never contacted. They did.show back up and I talked.to them a bit more -- I:d already been talking to them a bit, that is how I noticed the post - and I asked without pushing too hard if anyone else had talked to them about their troubles. Possibly they didn't want to talk about it, but I am pretty sure they were just oblivious to the whole thing.

PS anyone who wants to take on getting the instructions fixed and the link pointed to the right fucking chatroom has my full permission to quote me on this if that is helpful. I am assuming that someone with the right permissions can verify what I just said. If not feel free to contact me though Wikipedia email so I know who you are. I am not Bout to listen to some bullshit about outing for pointing this out.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:53 am

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:22 am
redbaron wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:08 am
about fifteen minutes. Part 2 of the instructions says tell an administrator if you aren't immediately contacted. Tbs contact consisted of an email saying someone had opened a Zendesk ticket. I kept reminding myself that they were in Britain so they probably didn't have a gun, as following the flipping instructions led me to a Google Play download link for Discord.

As far as I can tell the person was never contacted. They did.show back up and I talked.to them a bit more -- I:d already been talking to them a bit, that is how I noticed the post - and I asked without pushing too hard if anyone else had talked to them about their troubles. Possibly they didn't want to talk about it, but I am pretty sure they were just oblivious to the whole thing.

PS anyone who wants to take on getting the instructions fixed and the link pointed to the right fucking chatroom has my full permission to quote me on this if that is helpful. I am assuming that someone with the right permissions can verify what I just said. If not feel free to contact me though Wikipedia email so I know who you are. I am not Bout to listen to some bullshit about outing for pointing this out.

PPs- did the genius who set up thatsystem consider that not everyone has an account let alone one with email enabled? Excuse me for being un fucking civil but if that had been some kid with a gun they would have had plenty of time to bleed out in the fifteen minutes in took to set up a freaking ticket. Priorities indeed. Excuse me, I have a wall that needs kicking. I am not sure what response I expected but that wasn't it. Of course, as I recently said in another context, most of the time it is easier to believe in fairies than to believe that WMF will fo mord than CYA

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:46 pm

I don’t think Liz (T-C-L) intended to be censorious; that doesn’t seem to be her style. I think she just meant, “here’s what to do next time.”

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:46 pm
I don’t think Liz (T-C-L) intended to be censorious; that doesn’t seem to be her style. I think she just meant, “here’s what to do next time.”
That was covered by 331dot. There was no reason whatsoever for Liz to butt in. A.B. didn't know where to report it, so he asked at ANI. 331dot pointed him to the right place and A.B. confirmed that he contacted the emergency people. There was nothing more to say or do (except maybe revdel the whole affair once the information was passed on to the right people).

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:25 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52 pm
the information was passed on to the right people).
Right people, har har. Although closer to that than ANi I guess

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 pm

rnu wrote:

The IP is registered to the Portland Public Schools (Oregon). A slightly earlier edit may reveal a name.
Certainly focuses the mind. I see US schools are now being sued for not checking kids bags when there is a reason to suspect they're having thoughts of going on a rampage. So we could soon see Wikipedia editors held liable for not reporting such things where they know a school is involved.

What a country.

And lest editors forget, Wikipedia is tracking everything you do. Right down to the pages you viewed and thus what things you decided to ignore. All totally legal. All subject to discovery.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:34 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:25 am
rnu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52 pm
the information was passed on to the right people).
Right people, har har. Although closer to that than ANi I guess
What you describe is truly concerning. I wish it was surprising.
Kraken wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 pm
rnu wrote:

Certainly focuses the mind. I see US schools are now being sued for not checking kids bags when there is a reason to suspect they're having thoughts of going on a rampage. So we could soon see Wikipedia editors held liable for not reporting such things where they know a school is involved.

What a country.

And lest editors forget, Wikipedia is tracking everything you do. Right down to the pages you viewed and thus what things you decided to ignore. All totally legal. All subject to discovery.
The fact that the ip belongs to a school in the US definitely makes this far more alarming than it would be otherwise.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:46 pm
Liz is good stuff.

t

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:59 am

C&B wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:27 am
People could have been fucking killed.
No they couldn't have.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:02 am

owl be it wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:59 am
C&B wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:27 am
People could have been fucking killed.
No they couldn't have.
No?
rnu wrote:
Someone editing from an ip registered to the Portland Public Schools (Oregon) posted:
diff wrote:I have a gun and 3 mags
<snip>
Yes, they could have.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:21 pm

The good news is that we haven’t heard anything on the news.

So it probably turned out it was just a kid trying to sound like a badass.

Perhaps the WMF got to the school and they got to the kid. Who knows?

It’s not a big lift for the WMF to call the Portland police.

Someone from that same IP erased the comment the next morning.