On source verification

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:39 am

The RS concept may be in trouble link

Elinruby
Habitué

Re: on source verification

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:11 am

link

I have a rant coming on in this topic. For now, while the oven preheats, here's a little more

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:03 am

The enormous time sink of bullshit: Diagolon (T-H-L) is currently at ANI, and much as I hate to agree with people named Pamelaandersonfanclub (T-C-L) and Trauma Chicken (T-C-L), I've sourced the demonic cocaine-addicted goat link

So this is notable bullshit. Cue AndyTheGrump (T-C-L).

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:20 am

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:03 am
The enormous time sink of bullshit: Diagolon (T-H-L) is currently at ANI, and much as I hate to agree with people named Pamelaandersonfanclub (T-C-L) and Trauma Chicken (T-C-L), I've sourced the demonic cocaine-addicted goat link

So this is notable bullshit. Cue AndyTheGrump (T-C-L).
Yup. Crap sources for a crap article, by the look of it. Someone else can deal with this fuckwittery though.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:45 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:20 am

Yup. Crap sources for a crap article, by the look of it. Someone else can deal with this fuckwittery though.
No, there.really is an RS for the demonic goat. I thought you might like it for your list of articles that shouldn't use the country template but I gather you have stalked off from that in disgust, and who can blame you.

This is actually a fine example of bullshit that made the news and now can't be gotten rid of even if it is entirely imaginary

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:44 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:45 am
This is actually a fine example of bullshit that made the news and now can't be gotten rid of even if it is entirely imaginary
So Jewish Internet Defense Force (T-H-L) has a new friend. :XD

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:02 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:44 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Wasn't familiar with that group. I guess it came to mind because of the anonymous founder?

These guys apparently exist only in the mind of a right-wing wingnut podcaster. Maybe. There is some claim that the people who attacked or blockaded or whatever the US border at Sweetgrass Montana ... My head hurts just from saying that ... Supposedly had a patch with that logo. They and the people who drove semi trucks into Ottawa so they could blow their horns and be mad about covid restrictions that were already rescinded possibly believed it was a real group. And "they* got coverage.

Sigh. The stupid. It hurts, my precious.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:38 am

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:02 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Wasn't familiar with that group. I guess it came to mind because of the anonymous founder?

These guys apparently exist only in the mind of a right-wing wingnut podcaster. Maybe. There is some claim that the people who attacked or blockaded or whatever the US border at Sweetgrass Montana ... My head hurts just from saying that ... Supposedly had a patch with that logo. They and the people who drove semi trucks into Ottawa so they could blow their horns and be mad about covid restrictions that were already rescinded possibly believed it was a real group. And "they* got coverage.

On reading further, yeah, there's some definite parallels In the sourcing actually. I think I will drop some RS tags for the lulz.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:14 am

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:11 am
link

I have a rant coming on in this topic. For now, while the oven preheats, here's a little more
More stuff about citation cartels and retractions link

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:09 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:38 am
Elinruby wrote:
On reading further, yeah, there's some definite parallels In the sourcing actually. I think I will drop some RS tags for the lulz.

so the Diagolon article is almost entirety sourced to the the Canadian Anti Hate Network, or RS quoting it. I wikilinked that group since it has an article and in that SEO-smelling article discovered;
Its chair is Sue Gardner, former executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation
:hmmm:
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted surplus quote end tag

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:02 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Elinruby wrote:

I think most of "their" history is now relegated to the ash bins of the internet, but the short version is that it was never a group. It was one Kahanist named David Brotsky who was into SEO and managed to convince some RS to write a couple articles about his fake group. He ran some Twitter campaigns and apparently hacked some Facebook groups, but that's about it. Then he started selling merchandise on his site and begging people for "donations". Richard Silverstein has some (more informative) blog posts about him.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:20 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 pm
I think most of "their" history is now relegated to the ash bins of the internet, but the short version is that it was never a group. It was one Kahanist named David Brotsky who was into SEO and managed to convince some RS to write a couple articles about his fake group. He ran some Twitter campaigns and apparently hacked some Facebook groups, but that's about it. Then he started selling merchandise on his site and begging people for "donations". Richard Silverstein has some (more informative) blog posts about him.
Sometimes spelled Brodsky. He called himself David Appletree. His website, thejidf.org, now redirects to some weird Indonesian soccer betting site. He's pretty much scrubbed himself from google. A search for "david brodsky" "jidf" returns one result and this from google: "Some results may have been delisted consistent with local laws." Archive.org says the URL has been excluded, but archive.today has a bunch of saved pages, many of which are about his feud with wikipedia.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:31 pm

tarantino wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:20 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 pm
Sometimes spelled Brodsky. He called himself David Appletree. His website, thejidf.org, now redirects to some weird Indonesian soccer betting site. He's pretty much scrubbed himself from google. A search for "david brodsky" "jidf" returns one result and this from google: "Some results may have been delisted consistent with local laws." Archive.org says the URL has been excluded, but archive.today has a bunch of saved pages, many of which are about his feud with wikipedia.
The Wikipedia article probably.quotes them all. I did some tagging there but it's 1RR because Israel, so that is going to be slow going. I agree that it looks exactly like SEO bullshit. My kind of windmill actually. There's a batch of these in the Ukraine topic area, apparently intended to boost certain blogs or activists, and I doubt I spotted them all. Dialolon looks like another one, maybe. Explicitly described by its creator as the product of excess edibles, but apparently people believed that stuff. See what can happen when foreign nationals are allowed to make contributions to political events? You get a bunch of guys honking horns and yelling about the First Amendment. In Canada.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Re: On source verification

Unread post by eppur si muove » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:08 pm

Appletree submitted a photo, which may or may not be of himself, to the Jewish Chronicle with the Kahanist fist and star logo in the corner.
In writing their hagiography of him, (or more likely reproducing his press release,) the JC either failed to recognise the logo or wilfully produced propaganda for a far right group/individual..

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:42 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:08 pm
Appletree submitted a photo, which may or may not be of himself, to the Jewish Chronicle with the Kahanist fist and star logo in the corner.
In writing their hagiography of him, (or more likely reproducing his press release,) the JC either failed to recognise the logo or wilfully produced propaganda for a far right group/individual..
Thanks. I trimmed some peacock from the article. ,Going slow because of the 1RR on the page. If anyone feels like helping, I have stayed out of IP topics and so am not very familiar with Israeli or American Jewish sources, but at a fast glance they are all RS even if their coverage in this case seems pretty uncritical. Is that right? ~~~~

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:34 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:42 pm
eppur si muove wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:08 pm
Thanks. I trimmed some peacock from the article. ,Going slow because of the 1RR on the page. If anyone feels like helping, I have stayed out of IP topics and so am not very familiar with Israeli or American Jewish sources, but at a fast glance they are all RS even if their coverage in this case seems pretty uncritical. Is that right? ~~~~
I see a previous AfD arguing that the RS coverage is all from a limited time period and the article doesn't satisfy WP:SUSTAINED.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:45 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:34 pm
I see a previous AfD arguing that the RS coverage is all from a limited time period and the article doesn't satisfy WP:SUSTAINED.
That article is staying.

t

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:03 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:45 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
That article is staying.

t
I suck at AfD. Not going to take it there personally but I'll applaud if someone else does the honors.

What I *am* doing is trimming down all the CAHN promo and making sure the sources actually support the text. The article relies heavily on press releases for another activist group.

Same as the imaginary group with the drug-addicted goat VP that may or may not have incited terrorist violence. I just tagged a statement attributed to the House of Commons that is referenced by a police blotter item in a Saskatoon newspaper. I mean. I am not sure whether these people should have articles (although I am inclined to say no on the Appletree group, but those might actually be RS in that article). Whereas the Saltwater Times and Straight.com look like low-hanging fruit. Though I haven't really dug yet.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:12 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:
That article is staying.

t
Why?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:22 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:12 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:
That article is staying.

t
Why?
Carrite wrote:Keep - Nicely done, well-sourced piece. I found coverage in the Telegraph article to lend support to the fundamental notability claim, which has already been affirmed at AfD. Notability is not temporary, etc. Carrite (talk) 10:21, 23 October 2016 (UTC)
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:40 pm

Carrite wrote:Keep - Nicely done, well-sourced piece
:rotfl:

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:43 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:40 pm
Exactly. But wait, JIDF. The press releases are Diagolon. JIDF's article is cited to a web page that is now a gambling website and some archived pages of an argument with Wikipedia. And Facebook. He is mad that he got banned from Facebook.
Last edited by Elinruby on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:43 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Exacy
Here's the one I like from that AfD:
Please do not delete this article, as I find its unfixable (due to the way this website is run) errors, glaring omissions, and completely misleading claims make a handy tutorial for what a mess Wikipedia is. There are of course countless other examples, so I will soldier on in the event of deletion. But this one is as near to perfect an example as any.Dan Murphy (T-C-L) (talk) 19:23, 21 October 2016 (UTC)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:53 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:43 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Exacy
Here's the one I like from that AfD:
Please do not delete this article, as I find its unfixable (due to the way this website is run) errors, glaring omissions, and completely misleading claims make a handy tutorial for what a mess Wikipedia is. There are of course countless other examples, so I will soldier on in the event of deletion. But this one is as near to perfect an example as any.Dan Murphy (T-C-L) (talk) 19:23, 21 October 2016 (UTC)
Hmm. I think I have already changed every thing to past tense. Time for today's tilt at these windmills.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:44 am

DYK that Wikipedia helps grifter terrorists sell merch?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.