Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:54 am
utbc wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:36 am
Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:31 am
utbc wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:04 am
Israel-Palestine is an old enough issue that at least some of it has to be included in Wikipedia even if there was a shift against covering recent events based on recent news. An editor who knows the area well enough to write about it but remains completely neutral does not exist. Wikipedia has done well enough given the circumstances, by removing the worst actors time to time and giving occassional breaks to the most passionate ones to keep everyone on their toes, but maintain balance of strength on both sides.
Actually, kudos to admins for understanding what's up. One side has editors who think they're fighting for the very existence of their people, and has the backing of the most powerful forces of the current world order. The other side is actually fighting for the very existence of their people. These are not silly disputes. What Wikipedia says matters. It may have a non-insignificant impact on whether one more people disappear from the face of the earth. It's understandable anyone working in that area, training their muscles to smile at whom they identify as agents of destruction of their entire people, sometimes loses their cool.
This is true. However regardless of everything else the profiling is over the top, and the homoerotic/homophobic slurs are.... unnecessary. Which certain parties may also think is true of some of my remarks, I realize, but my accusations were factual not sexual. I mean geez.
You talkin' to me? I am lost.
I was agreeing with you. That was well stated btw.

But I was saying that even so it's over the top. Some of what I am talking about about anticipated stuff being moved here from "Yet more bad faith allegations by pro-Israel POV pusher Drsmoo", though, which hasn't happened and apparently may not, so no wonder you are confused. My bad.
Ah ok, so I am simply missing the broader context out of which this thread arose. I was worried if it was I who had accidentally used homophobic slurs, which is the kind of thing I am always worried I might unintentionally do having only a passing familiarity with the English language and the western culture, especially given the propensity for languages to evolve rather quickly.

Elinruby
Habitué

Re: Israel Palestine wikiwarriors

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:09 am

utbc wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:49 am
Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:54 am
utbc wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:36 am
Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:31 am
utbc wrote:
Israel-Palestine is an old enough issue that at least some of it has to be included in Wikipedia even if there was a shift against covering recent events based on recent news. An editor who knows the area well enough to write about it but remains completely neutral does not exist. Wikipedia has done well enough given the circumstances, by removing the worst actors time to time and giving occassional breaks to the most passionate ones to keep everyone on their toes, but maintain balance of strength on both sides.
Actually, kudos to admins for understanding what's up. One side has editors who think they're fighting for the very existence of their people, and has the backing of the most powerful forces of the current world order. The other side is actually fighting for the very existence of their people. These are not silly disputes. What Wikipedia says matters. It may have a non-insignificant impact on whether one more people disappear from the face of the earth. It's understandable anyone working in that area, training their muscles to smile at whom they identify as agents of destruction of their entire people, sometimes loses their cool.
This is true. However regardless of everything else the profiling is over the top, and the homoerotic/homophobic slurs are.... unnecessary. Which certain parties may also think is true of some of my remarks, I realize, but my accusations were factual not sexual. I mean geez.
You talkin' to me? I am lost.
I was agreeing with you. That was well stated btw.

But I was saying that even so it's over the top. Some of what I am talking about about anticipated stuff being moved here from "Yet more bad faith allegations by pro-Israel POV pusher Drsmoo", though, which hasn't happened and apparently may not, so no wonder you are confused. My bad.

Ah ok, so I am simply missing the broader context out of which this thread arose. I was worried if it was I who had accidentally used homophobic slurs, which is the kind of thing I am always worried I might unintentionally do having only a passing familiarity with the English language and the western culture, especially given the propensity for languages to evolve rather quickly.
Nope not at all.

And what do I know, could be homoerotic; consult the thread in question for details. It was an insult but not intended to be taken literally, I',m sure, but I've had to have cultural things explained to me also. My point was that I thought the insult was excessive even so.

Moving on, I was mumbling and furthermore mumbling about posts I thought were getting moved here but did not

Overall I thought your comment was one or the better summaries of Israel-Palestine that I have seen

yasslay
Contributor

Re: Yet more bad faith allegations by pro-Israel POV pusher Drsmoo

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:57 am

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 am
It's pretty ugly alright.
Another Andrevan situation, perhaps? :popcorn:

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am

yasslay wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:57 am
Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 am
It's pretty ugly alright.
Another Andrevan situation, perhaps? :popcorn:
not sure who anyone is in that fight but Nableezy. As best I can tell he was badly provoked by Starship Enterprise then took a swing at charliemouse. But there was something about a veiled insult that I didn't understand so I probably missed something. I am not the right person to explain this topic area. Not that charliemouse by any means innocent here given "oiliness", "terrorist" and "repulsive"

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:28 am

rnu wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:45 pm

Do you object to the general principle or to the application to particular individuals or groups?
Either way: is it more neutral to object than to support?
These are some very good questions given the Hollywood hagiography of the French Resistance.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 am

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am
...a veiled insult...
In the context of the Arbcom enforcement case, I think that this refers to the "dumb goiym" phrase Nishidani posted which has severely antisemitic undertones as it was taken from Mein Kampf. I think this is what they were referring to, though I could've missed something.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:37 am

yasslay wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 am
Elinruby wrote:
...a veiled insult...
In the context of the Arbcom enforcement case, I think that this refers to the "dumb goiym" phrase Nishidani posted which has severely antisemitic undertones as it was taken from Mein Kampf. I think this is what they were referring to, though I could've missed something.
I find that baffling but I don't think I ever read Mein Kampf; if I did I didn't retain anything about that. I don't think Nishidani did himself any favours telling mick jokes. he better be arguably Irish

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 am

yasslay wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
...a veiled insult...
"Taken from Mein Kampf"? Is there any evidence that Nishidani took that phrase from Mein Kampf specifically? If so, I'd like to know how the heck it was obtained.

I've used a similar, if not identical, phrase to describe myself at least once, in discussions with a Jewish friend I was using as a shortcut to a deeper study of Halakha. Said friend made no comment, so I assume he didn't think I was quoting Hitler. Which, needless to say, I wasn't.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:03 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 am
"Taken from Mein Kampf"? Is there any evidence that Nishidani took that phrase from Mein Kampf specifically? If so, I'd like to know how the heck it was obtained.

I've used a similar, if not identical, phrase to describe myself at least once, in discussions with a Jewish friend I was using as a shortcut to a deeper study of Halakha. Said friend made no comment, so I assume he didn't think I was quoting Hitler. Which, needless to say, I wasn't.
Within the context of the Arbcom case, this is what Drmsoo was claiming to have taken place. Regardless of where the phrase was pulled from, it was made in incredibly poor taste considering the volatile atmosphere surrounding the I/P topic. Either way, I’m not interested enough in the case (and many other things about Wikipedia) to care much for it.

edit: fixed broken formatting

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:12 pm

So, actual evidence that Nishidani took the phrase from Mein Kampf is non-existent. Glad we've cleared that up anyway.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:34 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:12 pm
So, actual evidence that Nishidani took the phrase from Mein Kampf is non-existent. Glad we've cleared that up anyway.

he said he had no idea fwiw TL;DR=yes

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:59 pm

utbc wrote:
An editor who knows the area well enough to write about it but remains completely neutral does not exist.
To be more accurate, they do, they just choose not to.
utbc wrote:
Wikipedia has done well enough given the circumstances
Not really. It seems to only mirror the way the dispute plays out in the real world over Twatter and the popular press. You would expect better of something that claims to be all about sober analysis of the highest calibre sources, surely.

If Wikipedia was a sentient being, and you asked it "Who is to blame for the middle east conflict?", you'd expect a proper answer. Not a swirling icon and then "Ask Again Later". The correct answer of course is religion. The thing that must not be named. And so by extension, evolution. Which means God, apparently, given Wikipedia's systemic basis to the American world view. Wow. Who knew. What a bastard.

Someone on here recently posted a link that showed why Isreal failed to learn the lessons of the British-Irish conflict. A remarkably similar conflict. Ancient emneties grounded in religion and territory. A bunch of baby killing terrorists / freedom fighters (delete as applicable) battling a state powerful enough that it could basically say, fuck it, let's treat them all as if they're tewowists and let God sort it out. Who the fuck is going to stop us?

It would still be going on today if the British public hadn't been convinced that there was something to gain from sitting down to talk peace with baby killers. And let's have it right, the UK didn't need to do that. They were winning the shooting war. But it comes at a cost, being seen as murderous bastards who have no respect for international law, on the world stage.

It's informative to see the head of CNN bowing to pressure not to air Hamas "propoganda". Didn't happened in the UK. Even at the height of the violence, the state broadcaster made sure British people knew what the enemy was thinking, even if they had to comply with the law that said they couldn't broadcast thier actual voice.

Is it possible to insert that sort of historical information into Wikipedia such that it might be useful? Probably not.
utbc wrote:
What Wikipedia says matters.
Perhaps. But probably not as much as the battlers are assuming. The tide certainly seems to have turned in the UK, with the vast majority now seeing the Isreali state as genocidal maniacs. This is most likely because the BBC is trusted to be unbiased (just as it was during the Troubles). The debate now is the rather tedious exercise of arguing whether it is anti-Semitic to criticise the Israeli state.

The BBC sadly gives that nonsense too much air time, but it does at least give a voice to those who want to ask the serious questions. What is the UK govt. actually going to do to end the violence? It won't be the most important issue in the upcoming election, but the lack of an answer will be significant.
utbc wrote:
It's understandable anyone working in that area, training their muscles to smile at whom they identify as agents of destruction of their entire people, sometimes loses their cool.
Then such people should have the good sense not to insert themselves into a situation that requires it, if they find it so hard.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Zoll
Regular

Unread post by Zoll » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:47 pm

nableezy wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 pm
charliemouse wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:25 pm
nableezy wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:29 pm
Starship Enterprise wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:01 pm
nableezy wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:07 pm
I didn’t say I was indifferent genius
lol are you still pretending you do anything on wiki other than shill for Palestine

no one is buying it. the shilling isn't even that bad, but this playacting as a neutral party makes you look so sketchy
It's like people purposely dont read lol. Wild how many of yall have assembled here.
OK. Let's do some reading. Here's the only user box on your page:

This user supports the right of all individuals and groups to violently resist military aggression and occupation by other parties, but due to an alleged consensus he is disallowed from naming particular individuals or groups which certain administrators find to be unacceptable.

Who are those "particular individuals or groups which certain administrators find to be unacceptable"?
You do understand what "I didn’t say I was indifferent genius" means, right? It means "I am not indifferent, moron."

But that userbox is about the censorship of unpopular opinions among a group of, largely, white American and European men. The belief that was being censored when that userbox was created by an editor that I wish was still around was that Hezbollah has the right to violently resist aggression and foreign occupation. As do all groups and people. Wild how many of the Free Ukraine crowd seems to think that right is restricted to white Europeans.
Very unpopular opinion Nableezy. Especially when both Hamas and Hezbollah get funding at least in part from Iran, and Irans track record with minorities isn't great either (Hamas gets more from Qatar, but there's a Doha-Tehran axis nowadays). learn from Gandhi. Killing people won't really help the Palestinian cause.

Zoll
Regular

Unread post by Zoll » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:49 pm

How about a rule not to engage in sarcasm and irony with, shall we say questionable terms.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:49 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 am
yasslay wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
...a veiled insult...

... [snip] ...

Such evidence might be a little difficult to come by. The word "goyim" appears in neither
this German edition nor this one, nor in any of the English translations I searched.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

whatisare
Contributor

Unread post by whatisare » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:04 pm

I think if Drsmoo had just posted "look at this shit" and quoted Nishidani's post in question, it would've been much more convincing. I get Nishidani's intent in writing that was to ironically criticize a racist asshole, but the post was certainly unhelpful to the discussion. Instead, Drsmoo piled it under a wall of absolute insane, bad-faith, batshit nonsense, and the enforcement request is itself way worse than what he's reporting.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:08 pm

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

nableezy
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: nableezy

Unread post by nableezy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 pm

Elinruby wrote:
a veiled insult that I didn't understand
"Charlie" said "Nishidani gets the We're Not Anti-Semitic And Neither Are You Award from the Goyim Defense League". The Goyim Defense League is an antisemitic hate group, and Charlie was trying to be witty in insulting Nishidani as an antisemite. I obviously think thats bullshit, and responded in a way that reflected my view of the intellectual capabilities of the person making the insult. Since then, Charlie and Mr Starship, with special guest appearance by arkon, have been babbling nonsense in trying to prove I am not a neutral commentator on the topic (no shit Sherlock?). Can all the idiocy, mine included, not related to the Drsmoo v Nishidani AE get moved to Starship's very special and big brained thread about I/P editors?

arkon
Critic
Wikipedia User: arkon

Unread post by arkon » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:50 pm

nableezy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 pm
Elinruby wrote:
"Charlie" said "Nishidani gets the We're Not Anti-Semitic And Neither Are You Award from the Goyim Defense League". The Goyim Defense League is an antisemitic hate group, and Charlie was trying to be witty in insulting Nishidani as an antisemite. I obviously think thats bullshit, and responded in a way that reflected my view of the intellectual capabilities of the person making the insult. Since then, Charlie and Mr Starship, with special guest appearance by arkon, have been babbling nonsense in trying to prove I am not a neutral commentator on the topic (no shit Sherlock?). Can all the idiocy, mine included, not related to the Drsmoo v Nishidani AE get moved to Starship's very special and big brained thread about I/P editors?
Hey now, I haven't talked shit about you in -this- thread, or that other one. Yet.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:07 pm

nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
When you resorted to childish insults like "moron" you immediately lost whatever "debate" we might have been having. That and the word salad were enough to reach that conclusion.

nableezy
Gregarious

Unread post by nableezy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:25 pm

charliemouse wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:07 pm
nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
When you resorted to childish insults like "moron" you immediately lost whatever "debate" we might have been having. That and the word salad were enough to reach that conclusion.
lol, cool story my guy. I didnt consider this a debate, just an annoyance. And I treated your antics with the consideration it deserves. Toodles.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:32 pm

nableezy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:25 pm
charliemouse wrote:
nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
lol, cool story my guy. I didnt consider this a debate, just an annoyance. And I treated your antics with the consideration it deserves. Toodles.
Happy day for you! Drsmoo is heading for a topic ban. A major victory. Good work!

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:56 pm

Wikipedia shouldn't give a pass to people pushing pro-Israeli or pro-Palestinian points of view; Wikipedia has to stay neutral.

At the same time, I'm mindful there's an absolutely brutal war started by massive Hamas atrocities now followed by a punishing Israeli attack on Gaza that's causing massive civilian deaths.

So I understand how this may bring out the worst in otherwise nice, moral people on both sides.

That's what war does - War itself takes on a soul of its own and it's true evil. This evil soul seeks to infect all whom it touches with evil so evil can be further propagated.

Call me crazy but the more history I read and the more I see nowadays, the more I absolutely believe this.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:29 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:56 pm
Wikipedia shouldn't give a pass to people pushing pro-Israeli or pro-Palestinian points of view; Wikipedia has to stay neutral.

At the same time, I'm mindful there's an absolutely brutal war started by massive Hamas atrocities now followed by a punishing Israeli attack on Gaza that's causing massive civilian deaths.

So I understand how this may bring out the worst in otherwise nice, moral people on both sides.

That's what war does - War itself takes on a soul of its own and it's true evil. This evil soul seeks to infect all whom it touches with evil so evil can be further propagated.

Call me crazy but the more history I read and the more I see nowadays, the more I absolutely believe this.
A voice of reason in this thread - at long last! :bow:

I completely agree with you - the "us vs. them" attitude is what tears people apart, and the leadership of Israel and Palestine uses this to their advantage through propaganda to create a culture war. This culture war has had a pronounced effect overseas as we've seen, with antisemitism having risen globally since Oct 2023 - the start of the war.

This attitude is affecting a considerable amount of people who take Wikipedia way too seriously. Toxicity and bad faith has gotten noticeably worse in the I/P area since the start of the conflict.

I've also noticed that the MMORPG culture of Wikipedia has started to corrupt Wikipediocracy thanks to the animosity between Wikipedia editors who have registered here and actively use it as a platform to complain about their lost fights with other editors while providing no meaningful critique of Wikipedia's dubious content and/or users most of the time. :deadhorse:

(I'm not saying that we can't criticise Wikipedia editors, though. That is the point of the forum.)

I know that most of are/were involved with Wikipedia, but I'd like more Wikipedia editors who fit the criteria above to move the dramah on-site so that we can continue to munch on popcorn here while not proliferating the forum with stupid amounts of toxicity, as we've seen multiple times over the past few months.

Let the Hunger Games begin.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:04 pm

nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
I see

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:24 pm

yasslay wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:29 pm
Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:56 pm

A voice of reason in this thread - at long last! :bow:

I completely agree with you - the "us vs. them" attitude is what tears people apart, and the leadership of Israel and Palestine uses this to their advantage through propaganda to create a culture war. This culture war has had a pronounced effect overseas as we've seen, with antisemitism having risen globally since Oct 2023 - the start of the war.

This attitude is affecting a considerable amount of people who take Wikipedia way too seriously. Toxicity and bad faith has gotten noticeably worse in the I/P area since the start of the conflict.

I've also noticed that the MMORPG culture of Wikipedia has started to corrupt Wikipediocracy thanks to the animosity between Wikipedia editors who have registered here and actively use it as a platform to complain about their lost fights with other editors while providing no meaningful critique of Wikipedia's dubious content and/or users most of the time. :deadhorse:

(I'm not saying that we can't criticise Wikipedia editors, though. That is the point of the forum.)

I know that most of are/were involved with Wikipedia, but I'd like more Wikipedia editors who fit the criteria above to move the dramah on-site so that we can continue to munch on popcorn here while not proliferating the forum with stupid amounts of toxicity, as we've seen multiple times over the past few months.

Let the Hunger Games begin.
I think we should try to avoid otherization. You can disagree with someone without calling them an oily terrorist. I mean that really is...pretty bad, and I say this as someone who's confronted the target of that. (The why of the confrontation is irrelevant to this thread).

For the record, in my world, resisting the people who are killing one's people is an understandable and sometimes even admirable thing.

There is no question in my mind that Wikipediocracy was used in this thread to harass a member. Nableezy may be many things there's no evidence he is a shill.

He participates here and often has a point; he doesn't just show up to air his grievances
!

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:34 pm

charliemouse wrote:
nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Hmm l managed to grok what Nableezy was saying without a footnote. I think we have all registered that you don't like him

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:16 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:34 pm
charliemouse wrote:
nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Hmm l managed to grok what Nableezy was saying without a footnote. I think we have all registered that you don't like him
I dislike use of jargon like "grok" that have to be googled, when simpler words are available for utilization.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:36 pm

I don't think Drsmoo likes me very much.
I think he doesn't like me at all.
Is it possible that he even dislikes me?
:crying:

Edit: fixed link. Thanks FelinaLavandula for pointing out the broken link!
Last edited by rnu on Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:56 pm

Your second link is broken btw

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:07 am

charliemouse wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:16 pm
Elinruby wrote:
charliemouse wrote:
nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
I dislike use of jargon like "grok" that have to be googled, when simpler words are available for utilization.
You assume that I care what you like. Courtesy to you went out the door last night

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:17 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:36 pm

Now that I absolutely can't grok. I think Drsmoo has a point on substance, but you just raised the issue here, albeit impolitely.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:18 am

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:07 am
charliemouse wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:16 pm
Elinruby wrote:
charliemouse wrote:
nableezy wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
You assume that I care what you like. Courtesy to you went out the door last night
I grok absolutely nothing when it comes to assumptions. My lack of grokage on that went out the door some time ago.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:27 am

clearly

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:57 am

charliemouse wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:17 am
rnu wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:36 pm

Now that I absolutely can't grok. I think Drsmoo has a point on substance, but you just raised the issue here, albeit impolitely.
I've pointed out his extreme dishonesty before (see the links in my opening post). Drsmoo is a deeply dishonest and immoral editor who should have been banned quite some time ago.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:36 am

Kraken wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:59 pm
utbc wrote:
It's understandable anyone working in that area, training their muscles to smile at whom they identify as agents of destruction of their entire people, sometimes loses their cool.
Then such people should have the good sense not to insert themselves into a situation that requires it, if they find it so hard.
Maybe some people insulated by the place and time of their birth should be less quick to judge others who are not.

On another note, there is such a thing as attempting something because nobody else is brave or stupid enough to try it. And it is considered to need to be done.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: All the Israel/Palestine infighting on Wikipedia

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:38 am

Mods: please move all additional I/P Wiki warrior crap here. Don't let a wild proliferation of topics happen.

Players:
Please from now on post any Israel/Palestine posts about arguing on Wikipedia here: link

Please post any opinions or facts about the Israel/Gaza war here: link

If you start new topics, I will merge them into one of these.

For the ones who post this stuff: Enjoy your Kilkenny cats (T-H-L) cage.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 am

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:36 am
Kraken wrote:
utbc wrote:
Maybe some people insulated by the place and time of their birth should be less quick to judge others who are not.
I doubt that's a helpful way to look at things.

But you're also quite wrong about my right to judge such things. Suffice to say, I have the right. More than anyone here perhaps. I would never have been born were it not for the happenstance of scheduling of one particularly evil act of that particularly evil conflict.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 am

Kraken wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 am
Elinruby wrote:
Kraken wrote:
utbc wrote:

But you're also quite wrong about my right to judge such things. Suffice to say, I have the right. More than anyone here perhaps. I would never have been born were it not for the happenstance of scheduling of one particularly evil act of that particularly evil conflict.
I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that you were English, which may be triggering some tribal prejudices that I have concluded are nonsense but perhaps still affect my reaction to some things. All I know is that I for example have some definite problems, but missiles landing on my house are not among them

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:58 am

Kraken wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Kraken wrote:
utbc wrote:

And the world suffers with you.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

kashmiri
Wikipedia User: Kashmiri

Unread post by kashmiri » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:34 pm

Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:23 pm
Will the rest of the site ever be able to chase these guys out so they can stop being problems
Imagine there are still people in the world who care about justice, human rights, and peace, so that even such arseholes can spend their lives on their comfortable sofas, drinking beer and disparaging everyone else.

Chasing them away won't make Wikipedia a better place.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:49 pm

kashmiri wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:34 pm
Will the rest of the site ever be able to chase these guys out so they can stop being problems
Imagine there are still people in the world who care about justice, human rights, and peace, so that even such arseholes can spend their lives on their comfortable sofas, drinking beer and disparaging everyone else.

:welcome:

Zoll
Regular

Unread post by Zoll » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:37 pm

kashmiri wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:34 pm

You're just confirming what he said.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:08 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 am
Kraken wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Kraken wrote:
utbc wrote:

I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that you were English, which may be triggering some tribal prejudices that I have concluded are nonsense but perhaps still affect my reaction to some things. All I know is that I for example have some definite problems, but missiles landing on my house are not among them
I'm British. Half English half Scottish. Although the way the Scots nationalists act these days on Twatter etc, as if their plight under the English jackboot is similar to the Palestinian struggle, I keep that under wraps.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:39 pm

Kraken wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:08 pm
[
I'm British. Half English half Scottish. Although the way the Scots nationalists act these days on Twatter etc, as if their plight under the English jackboot is similar to the Palestinian struggle, I keep that under wraps.
There are motivations other than status on Wikipedia is all I am saying.

rnu
Habitué

Re: All the Israel/Palestine infighting on Wikipedia

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:53 pm

Given the editing atmosphere around the topic area no-one will go anywhere near these articles except for the sociopaths Wikipedia self-selects for and people who care very deeply about the topic. So much so that they are willing to sacrifice their mental well-being to work on it.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:57 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:39 pm
Kraken wrote:
[
Well I'm lost then.

My point was, those who cannot stomach smiling in the face of the enemy, have no business being on Wikipedia. If they can't stand it, then pick up a gun. Go shoot someone. Go murder a baby in the name of your cause.

It's the hardest thing in the world to break bread with people who want to kill you. It's the easiest thing in the world to pick up a knife and drive it through their heart. And yet here we are in my country. The political wing of the baby murdering IRA are now officially part of the government of the part of my country they consider to be their ancestral home.

We have made peace. And it is on record, the ways and means the Isrealis chose to ignore the lessons of our struggle. Our dead.

You spoke of missiles landing on people's homes. The IRA were launching mortars into civilian homes in my lifetime. The IDF 'ain't got nothing on the UK military. We were using enlisted women in disguise to kill these murdering bastards half a century ago. Short term gain. Long term pain.

yasslay
Contributor

Unread post by yasslay » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:01 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:24 pm
I think we should try to avoid otherization. You can disagree with someone without calling them an oily terrorist. I mean that really is...pretty bad, and I say this as someone who's confronted the target of that. (The why of the confrontation is irrelevant to this thread).

For the record, in my world, resisting the people who are killing one's people is an understandable and sometimes even admirable thing.

There is no question in my mind that Wikipediocracy was used in this thread to harass a member. Nableezy may be many things there's no evidence he is a shill.

He participates here and often has a point; he doesn't just show up to air his grievances
!
:agree: 100%.

--- arbitrary break ---

To Nableezy, you need to learn to stop engaging with people who clearly hate you. They're wind-up merchants and will do anything to bait/annoy you to get a laugh out of it. It's the best thing you can do. Also, avoid discussing your on-wiki activities in relation to the I/P area - it's bound to receive relentless scrutiny from some members here as we've seen recently.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:11 pm

Kraken wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:57 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:39 pm
Kraken wrote:
[
Well I'm lost then.

My point was, those who cannot stomach smiling in the face of the enemy, have no business being on Wikipedia. If they can't stand it, then pick up a gun. Go shoot someone. Go murder a baby in the name of your cause.

It's the hardest thing in the world to break bread with people who want to kill you. It's the easiest thing in the world to pick up a knife and drive it through their heart. And yet here we are in my country. The political wing of the baby murdering IRA are now officially part of the government of the part of my country they consider to be their ancestral home.

We have made peace. And it is on record, the ways and means the Isrealis chose to ignore the lessons of our struggle. Our dead.

You spoke of missiles landing on people's homes. The IRA were launching mortars into civilian homes in my lifetime. The IDF 'ain't got nothing on the UK military. We were using enlisted women in disguise to kill these murdering bastards half a century ago. Short term gain. Long term pain.

nableezy
Gregarious

Unread post by nableezy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:22 pm

yasslay wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:01 pm
To Nableezy, you need to learn to stop engaging with people who clearly hate you. They're wind-up merchants and will do anything to bait/annoy you to get a laugh out of it. It's the best thing you can do. Also, avoid discussing your on-wiki activities in relation to the I/P area - it's bound to receive relentless scrutiny from some members here as we've seen recently.
Yeah, but I get a laugh out of it. But all true. But I dont really mind engaging in discussion about my editing, it's just for the most part been baseless attacks that I want to swing back on every once in a while. But if somebody actually wanted to seriously discuss my editing Id be happy to, I think I actually uphold a high standard in my edits and would be totally happy to answer any questions about it. But when that discussion is based on the premise that Im a cocksucker for responding to some bullshit on AE then Im probably just going to mock the person who has offered that incisive and well-thought out commentary.