Never try to help!

rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Never try to help!

Unread post by rnu » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Popular Punk (T-C-L) is a relatively new user who is mostly active on Greek Wikipedia. They came to enwiki to post a warning at AN:
Potential vandalism of articles regarding Greek and Albanian history

Hello, and apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate place to notify the WP community.

However, I think that there is a high risk chance of a number of articles regarding Greek and Albanian history to be vandalized by IP edditors in the near future. A week ago, the Greek Nationalist pseudohistorical YouTube channel «Πρακτική Σκέψη» (en. "Practical Thinking") released a video titled "Πως οι Αλβανοί κλέβουν ελληνική ιστορία" (en. How the Albanians steal Greek history). In this particular video, the uploader attacks both the Greek, as well as the English Wikipedia as being biased towards Albanians and Albanian history in general, using as an example the article "Principality of Arbanon" claiming that the Albanian nation didn't exist at that time and that this is a fabrication of wikipedians.

Today, Youtube user "mecruz" wrote the following comment "Είναι αλήθεια ότι στην αγγλική βικιπαίδεια υπάρχει μια συγκεκριμένη ομάδα Αλβανών που παραποιεί την ιστορία της Ελλάδας με την προπαγάνδα τους. Αυτά είναι τα usernames/ονόματα των χρηστών της αλβανικής ομαδας: Βατο, Maleschreiber, Ahmet Q., Ktrimi991, Khirurg, Botushali, Alltan, Demetrios1993, Αυτοί οι χρήστες συνεργάζονται, έχουν διάφορες τακτικές που χρησιμοποιούν για να προωθήσουν την προπαγάνδα τους στη στην αγγλική βικιπαίδεια."

Users Βατο, Maleschreiber, Ahmet Q., Ktrimi991, Khirurg, Botushali, Alltan, Demetrios1993, are collectively accused as Albanian nationalists that push Albanian propaganda. It wouldn't suprise me if doxing takes place as well.

Thank you for your time, and once again i apologize if this is not the appropriate place to notify the WP community. Popular Punk (talk) 16:53, 28 January 2024 (UTC)
They also notified the mentioned editors (except for Khirurg which I assume is a simple oversight). The YouTube channel in question has 112K subscribers and the video has 35K views. What would a rational person acting in good faith do? They would thank them for the notification about this potential problem.
What does a Wikipedia admin do?
This is Popular Punk's first edit to en.wiki. WP:NOTHERE.--Bbb23 (talk) 17:10, 28 January 2024 (UTC)
Never try to help on Wikipedia!
Last edited by rnu on Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Re: Never try to help!

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 pm

Clearly an unwarranted comment by Bbb23, but at the same time there are many YouTube videos that claim Wikipedia to be biased, and unless they actually result in disruptive editing its premature to make an AN post like this.

Zoll
Regular

Unread post by Zoll » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Still fighting over the Northern Epirus (T-H-L)?

Zoll
Regular

Unread post by Zoll » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:24 pm

rnu wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm
This is Popular Punk's first edit to en.wiki. WP:NOTHERE.--Bbb23 (talk) 17:10, 28 January 2024 (UTC)
Never try to help on Wikipedia!
I think I'm slowly understanding WikipediaSucks hate for Bbb23.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:34 am

Bbb23 has something seriously wrong with him. He's like an alien who learned how to mimic humans by watching Youtube but is clueless how normal interactions work and doesn't know what empathy is. He shouldn't be an admin.

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:31 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:34 am
Bbb23 has something seriously wrong with him. He's like an alien who learned how to mimic humans by watching Youtube but is clueless how normal interactions work and doesn't know what empathy is. He shouldn't be an admin.
He sends nice friendly messages when somebody disagrees with him. And in this instance, finding out that Bbb23 hates talking to me was actually a surprise. I don't feel strongly enough about Bbb23 to hate them - I just think they need to work on their communication skills.

utbc
Critic

Unread post by utbc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:31 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
He sends nice friendly messages when somebody disagrees with him. And in this instance, finding out that Bbb23 hates talking to me was actually a surprise. I don't feel strongly enough about Bbb23 to hate them - I just think they need to work on their communication skills.
But you did revert a standard notification with "rv harrassment". Dare I ask for the context?

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:55 pm

Sum yourself up in a single sentence.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:18 pm

utbc wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm
Ritchie333 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:31 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:
But you did revert a standard notification with "rv harrassment". Dare I ask for the context?
Bbb23 is notorious for lashing out like this and for generally petulant behavior, almost all of which is overlooked because He Does Lots of Good Work® If some random editor did this and was seen by another admin they'd be scolded or warned.

pottedmeat
Contributor

Unread post by pottedmeat » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:12 pm

Zoll wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:24 pm
I think I'm slowly understanding WikipediaSucks hate for Bbb23.
bbb23 has his very own article at Encyclopedia Dramatica (created 11 Dec 2023), and I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the sucks people was behind it. It's incredibly tame by ED standards, is written coherently with gramatically correct sentences, doesn't contain an excess of profanity and/or slurs, contains citations...
He is known for his inability to accept criticism and for his insincere, self-righteous, hostile, and threatening behaviour towards anyone weaker than him while playing the friendly arse-kisser to anyone stronger than himself.
If Wikipedia stopped existing, Bbb23 would not be sad due to the lost knowledge, but sad due to his lost ability to exercise control.

iamOberranks
Banned

Unread post by iamOberranks » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:02 am

i've always found it stupid when some big youtuber makes a video about an error on wikipedia and then everyone rushes to change it back and forth