Binksternet, FMSky, and "anti-US" music deletionism

wyldboutit
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Gingeraleking

Re: Binksternet, FMSky, and "anti-US" music deletionism

Unread post by wyldboutit » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:50 am

Will anyone edit on my behalf? That’s what I’m looking for.

I just don’t see what the problem is. The deletion is of long-standing information, and it was done by a random IP for clearly biased reasons.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:05 am

wyldboutit wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:50 am

I just don’t see what the problem is. The deletion is of long-standing information, and it was done by a random IP for clearly biased reasons.
Nobody's going to edit on your behalf because you're a banned user. Have you not seen the recent ArbCom discussion where users were outright banned for doing edits on behalf of a banned user?

wyldboutit
Contributor

Unread post by wyldboutit » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:10 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:05 am
wyldboutit wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:50 am

Nobody's going to edit on your behalf because you're a banned user. Have you not seen the recent ArbCom discussion where users were outright banned for doing edits on behalf of a banned user?
So NO ONE can re-establish a long-standing edit deleted by a clearly biased IP because a user banned for “sockpuppetry” tried to re-establish it?

That makes no sense.

Didn’t you remove that paragraph from Shock rock that one time after I was banned for doing so? How is this any different?

wyldboutit
Contributor

Unread post by wyldboutit » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:20 am

You literally can’t find a post about “New Wave” online that doesn’t heavily mention prominent American bands. There’s literally no excuse for the deletion.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 am

wyldboutit wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:20 am
You literally can’t find a post about “New Wave” online that doesn’t heavily mention prominent American bands. There’s literally no excuse for the deletion.
You really don't get it, do you?

Most of us here almost certainly don't give a rats arse about where 'new wave' started, and of the ones that do, and have Wikipedia accounts, none are going to care about it enough to edit on your behalf, after you've explicitly asked for that here.

If you want to win arguments on Wikipedia, don't sock. Or if you are going to sock, don't make it so fucking obvious. And don't expect others to fight your fights on your behalf.

wyldboutit
Contributor

Unread post by wyldboutit » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:06 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 am
wyldboutit wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:20 am
You really don't get it, do you?

Most of us here almost certainly don't give a rats arse about where 'new wave' started, and of the ones that do, and have Wikipedia accounts, none are going to care about it enough to edit on your behalf, after you've explicitly asked for that here.

If you want to win arguments on Wikipedia, don't sock. Or if you are going to sock, don't make it so fucking obvious. And don't expect others to fight your fights on your behalf.
Oh, you do care, but because you’re British, you’ll make excuses for it, and that includes Wikipedia’s pet excuses for entrenching bias and stigmatizing edits that go against that bias: “sockpuppetry”!!!

If this is the case, I think I’ll just go onto the New Wave page and delete all the images that reference American groups and any mention to the US or American bands on the page. If we’re going to do anti-American revisionism, we might as well do it properly.

Or, I can instead delete the UK from the cultural origins section of various pages it doesn’t really deserve to get credit on - like “Psychedelic rock” or “Pop music” or “Power pop”…

Wikipedia encourages sockpuppetry if it upholds biased IP deletions of material. I cannot abide by the silly rules laid out. I will continue to revert biased edits, request others for help, and harass editors until the long-standing edits are re-established. OR, I will actually engage in combative editing and delete British credit from any genre page that I feel compelled to, as an IP or otherwise
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed duplicate quote from AndyTheGrump

JarrBarr
Critic

Unread post by JarrBarr » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 am

The internet is not your personal army.
Also, don't make your intentions so fucking obvious.
I for my part don't bother myself with music.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am

Look folks, hopefully Mr. Wyldboutit understands now that this forum is not some sort of organizing platform for "brigading" or "canvassing" activities. And I realize that the music-genre articles in question are just a handful of newly-screwed-up pages on a site with millions of other pages that are nearly all screwed up too in some way or other, many of them far worse. But that doesn't mean we have to antagonize him just because this is how he chooses to spend his time.

And regardless, whatever you may think about him, he's right — the fact is, removing "United States" from the "Cultural Origins" section of the infobox for New wave music (T-H-L) in favor of the UK only is completely absurd. The only reason for doing something like that basically amounts to "I have a Wikipedia account and I like being an asshole." Anyone with any knowledge of the subject would look at it and laugh, and then go looking for a real encyclopedia or some other non-shitty information reference.

CoffeeCrumbs
Critic

Unread post by CoffeeCrumbs » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:17 pm

Binksternet is terrible, but to paraphrase a fictional Sam Waterston character, if you're going to play stickball in Canarsie, you'd better learn Brooklyn rules.

wyldboutit
Contributor

Unread post by wyldboutit » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:37 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am
Look folks, hopefully Mr. Wyldboutit understands now that this forum is not some sort of organizing platform for "brigading" or "canvassing" activities. And I realize that the music-genre articles in question are just a handful of newly-screwed-up pages on a site with millions of other pages that are nearly all screwed up too in some way or other, many of them far worse. But that doesn't mean we have to antagonize him just because this is how he chooses to spend his time.

And regardless, whatever you may think about him, he's right — the fact is, removing "United States" from the "Cultural Origins" section of the infobox for New wave music (T-H-L) in favor of the UK only is completely absurd. The only reason for doing something like that basically amounts to "I have a Wikipedia account and I like being an asshole." Anyone with any knowledge of the subject would look at it and laugh, and then go looking for a real encyclopedia or some other non-shitty information reference.
And they desperately protect like attempts to delete the UK from similar genre pages with immediate accusations of “pro-American/anti-British POV-pushing”. The hypocrisy, the gatekeeping, the projection…

Starship Enterprise
Where no ban has gone before

Unread post by Starship Enterprise » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:44 am

wyldboutit wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:37 am
Midsize Jake wrote:

And they desperately protect like attempts to delete the UK from similar genre pages with immediate accusations of “pro-American/anti-British POV-pushing”. The hypocrisy, the gatekeeping, the projection…
we don't agree with the edits

we think you're being a nuisance

wyldboutit
Contributor

Unread post by wyldboutit » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 am

Starship Enterprise wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:44 am
wyldboutit wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:37 am
Midsize Jake wrote:

we don't agree with the edits

we think you're being a nuisance
1) Who’s “we”?

2) Which edits?

3) I was being a nuisance for re-establishing a long-standing edit that a random, obviously biased British IP deleted?

wyldboutit
Contributor

Unread post by wyldboutit » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:48 am

Here’s the link to my old attempt to get Administrator attention to Binksternet’s support of biased editing. They dismissed it and said they wouldn’t read a “lengthy personal attack”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Gingeraleking

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:22 am

Dude, look. The more you--a socking banned user--keep posting about how someone should change it on your behalf, the less likely anyone posting or reading here is to actually do it, regardless of whether your complaints are valid. :facepalm:

It's one thing to quietly make a correction of a singular factual mistake that happens to have been brought up here where no actual opposition to the change is expected, and another entirely to wade into an existing content conflict at scale on the side, behalf and request of a known ban-evader actively and visibly soliciting for such help.

The former is the sort of stuff that can be done under editorial judgement. The latter is a good way to catch a block for proxying, and folks here on Wikipediocracy generally are well-aware of that.

The chances of someone here both having an en.wiki account that has a chance of actually having those changes stick, and caring enough about the subject to risk having this be the hill their account gets blocked upon are already pretty small, and the more you make plausible deniability impossible, the closer "small" gets to "non-existent".

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:28 am

Also, it would be best if Mr. Wyldaboutit could refrain from bumping old threads without adding anything germane to the thread being bumped. (The gist of the thread in question, for our current purposes at least, was that Mr. Binksternet had a habit of posting block warnings on the user-Talk pages of people he edit-warred with well before he managed to become an administrator.)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:17 am

I split all the tea posts into Off topic here: link

No, nobody here will post on behalf of a banned user. Don't ask again, please.

:lock:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing