Brendanconway - how is he still an admin?

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Brendanconway - how is he still an admin?

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:27 am

Can someone please explain how Brendanconway (T-C-L) is still an admin? I'm not being facetious. The last use of admin tools that I see in the logs is changing the protection on something in 2018. Before that it was deleting something in 2014. I must be missing something.

I ask because of this post that they made on the administrators noticeboard:
Scammers

I have been contacted multiple times by editors who have received multiple emails from scammers claiming to be me and threatening to delete articles and offering put them in touch with paid help. How can I tackle this menace? File Éireann 22:39, 16 January 2024 (UTC)
I was surprised to see that they are an admin.

utbc
Critic

Re: Brendanconway - how is he still an admin?

Unread post by utbc » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:42 am

Requirements are edits, not admin actions, either because not all admin work generates logs or because we're just getting started with cleaning up house. He is not inactive, even if he didn't/doesn't need admin tools beyond to show off.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:15 am

It looks like the scammers are working their way through the alphabet on Special:ListAdmins. They did User:Bradv a few months ago (as detailed on our blog!) and now they're onto Brendanconway (T-C-L)... :dubious:

Assuming they fail here, I guess the next targets are Brian Kendig (T-C-L) and/or Brianga (T-C-L) — neither of whom are especially active these days. Also, at this rate it'll take them quite a while to get to any Wikipediocracy members — I think the next ones would be Carcharoth (T-C-L) and Catfish Jim and the soapdish (T-C-L).

Going in alphabetical order is smart, because it's easier to stay organized. You definitely want to avoid just picking admins at random, since that can get really confusing. I learned that the hard way a few years ago, when I tried to personally invite each admin to attend the Fyre Festival (T-H-L) in hopes of getting them all stranded on a Caribbean island with no internet access.

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:14 am

Looks like I've got a while to wait before they contact me. And even then I'll probably miss the email buried in the "EXCLUSIVE discount from this website you ordered something from 6 years ago!!!!" messages.

utbc
Critic

Unread post by utbc » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:15 am

Ritchie333 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:14 am
Looks like I've got a while to wait before they contact me. And even then I'll probably miss the email buried in the "EXCLUSIVE discount from this website you ordered something from 6 years ago!!!!" messages.
They wouldn't be sending you emails. They would be sending other people emails telling them you are in their employ. Then people would come to you or other admins or social media or Jimbo complaining that you took their money and didn't deliver.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am

A better question is "Which admins down in the A's have already been used?" and why hasn't anyone found out?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Goodbye01
Banned

Unread post by Goodbye01 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:18 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:15 am
It looks like the scammers are working their way through the alphabet on Special:ListAdmins.
Now I'm scared, as I picked a name that places me at the top of that list..

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:56 pm

You can always tell it's someone from Asia based on the frequent improper use of articles.
he can provide you a professional assistance
I'm surprised people are still taken by stuff like this. But then, people also give scammers Steam gift card codes to help them "get viruses off their computer".

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:44 pm

utbc wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:42 am
Requirements are edits, not admin actions, either because not all admin work generates logs or because we're just getting started with cleaning up house. He is not inactive, even if he didn't/doesn't need admin tools beyond to show off.
Thanks. I think I knew (but forgot) that it was based on activity.

Tamzin, reluctantly
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Tamzin
Actual Name: Tamzin

Unread post by Tamzin, reluctantly » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:22 am

Deadbeef wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:18 pm
Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:15 am
It looks like the scammers are working their way through the alphabet on Special:ListAdmins.
Now I'm scared, as I picked a name that places me at the top of that list..
They seem to pick usernames that are built around a first name or a first+last name. It helps with the narrative they give of some professional class of administrators/"moderators".

To my knowledge I've never been impersonated despite matching that definition, but there is a weird coincidence, that for a time scammers did use the name "Tamsin Kelly"—not impersonating me but actually predating my choosing this name. I even did briefly go by that full name, until I found most people pronounced it "Tam-sin". So, I guess scammers can still have good taste in names.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:58 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:44 pm
utbc wrote:
Then... I am confused. What is up with the case against Mzajac then? He's a good editor

utbc
Critic

Unread post by utbc » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am

Elinruby wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:58 am
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
utbc wrote:
Then... I am confused. What is up with the case against Mzajac then? He's a good editor
Are you watching British skits again?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm

utbc wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am
Elinruby wrote:
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
utbc wrote:
I am confused by many things; I am fairly certain that the above is a cultural reference I am just not grokking, for example

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 pm

Another addition to this saga. Another scammer is pretending to be Brendan Conway regarding the obscure and likely non notable Canadian actor Andrew Tite (T-H-L) https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=1197301432 , who is not to be confused with the British-American misogynist of a similar name. This is now at ANI https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ve_AfD_tag

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:03 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 pm
Another addition to this saga. Another scammer is pretending to be Brendan Conway regarding the obscure and likely non notable Canadian actor Andrew Tite (T-H-L) https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=1197301432 , who is not to be confused with the British-American misogynist of a similar name. This is now at ANI https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ve_AfD_tag
He also performs at live events as a mascot or scare actor for employers such as Air Transat, Just For Laughs, Canada's Wonderland, and Screemers.
You don't think that makes him notable?

The article was created by Andrewtite (T-C-L) and has been around since 2007.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:30 am

rnu wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:03 am
The article was created by Andrewtite (T-C-L) and has been around since 2007.
When you've had your own unwarranted Wikipedia page for 15 years, you know it's gonna hurt when it gets deleted. It's probably ok career-wise, since he seems to have quit show business.

Oh my. I looked at his Facebook page, where he proudly links to his Wikipedia article, And apparently he's a prepper who plays a lot of Call of Duty and seems a little obsessed with an ex-girlfriend. I hope this guy doesn't end up getting a new Wikipedia page for other reasons.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:33 pm

An IP from Moncton, (T-H-L) New Brunswick, Canada is still going on about this, even today.
IP saying they are Andrew Tite
Andrew Tite Page - You Keep Marking for Deletion

I received this reply from Brendan Conway. She confirmed that it is indeed not an advertisment and simply a biography preserving my legacy for future generations. This wikipedia page is very important to myself and the Tite family as it preserves part of our legacy as long as Wikipedia lives on. Over the last 15 or 20 years I've popped in once and a while to update the page with accurate information and an IMDB citation if possible. Brenda said that she agreed it's an innocent biography and recommended I remove to deletion notice and restore the removed sections, especially the part about modelling in Toronto as a 6 year old child as it adds depth to my story. I'm going to attempt to make some additional updates soon with additional citations when I have a bit of time to do some searching online. Everything written is 100% true and happened. I hope you are able to understand the importance of this page to myself and others. Thank you. Below if the email from Brenda Conway (as a citation of what I said above ;) ) Thanks again. Andrew Tite -- Jan 18, 2024, 12:29 AM Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reaching out and providing additional context regarding your Wikipedia page. I understand the sentimental value and the importance of preserving your legacy on the platform. I appreciate the effort you've put into maintaining the accuracy of the information over the years.

I have thoroughly reviewed your concerns and the Wikipedia deletion notice. It's clear that your intention is not to create an advertisement but to share a genuine and modest biography for the benefit of future generations. I also appreciate your efforts in providing accurate citations and addressing issues with dead links.

To ensure the preservation of your Wikipedia page, I recommend the following steps:

Reinstate Removed Content: It seems that a significant portion of your biography was removed. I suggest reinstating the content, especially the part about your childhood modeling in Toronto and the move to rural Ontario. This information adds depth and context to your story. Verify Citations: Confirm that all citations are up to date and accurate. If necessary, update the links or provide alternative sources to support the information. Collaborate on Improvements: Engage with the Wikipedia AFD Reviewer's team to address any specific concerns they have raised. This collaboration will demonstrate your commitment to meeting Wikipedia's guidelines. Explain the Importance: In your communication with the Wikipedia administrators, emphasize the personal significance of the page to you and your family. Highlight that it serves as a meaningful record for future generations. Request an Extension: If needed, request an extension to the timeline for improvements. This will provide you with sufficient time to make the necessary changes and work with the Wikipedia community.

Also, I want to draw your attention to how urgent it is to improve your Wikipedia page. "A deletion discussion should normally be allowed to run for seven full days (168 hours), your page was tagged on 22:38, 16 January 2024, and if there are no improvements on the page then such a page can be deleted and removed by a senior Wikipedia moderator, If the page is deleted, it will be permanently removed from Wikipedia. We have about Four days to notify the moderators that you are willing to address the issues and are interested in preserving the page, so they will allow you to move it to the draft section and allow you making improvements before it is deleted. Timely proceeding further will enable you to expedite the process and ensure the necessary improvements are made before the deadline.

Moreover, I recommend taking swift action to make these improvements to your Wikipedia page, Wikipedia has strict guidelines against editing Wikipedia page about oneself, and it's best to approach it with a neutral point of view. In case if you need assistance, let me know, I can link you with an internal certified Wikipedia editor from the Wikipedia community. he can provide you a professional assistance, also, he has been working in the Wikipedia community for the past 15 years, he can assist you in improve your page while adhering to Wikipedia's guidelines. Please note that each Wikipedia editor and moderator charges differently for their service, and as you know that Wikipedia is a non-profit organization, so any earnings done by providing services to the relevant clients automatically go to the Wikipedia organization donations.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out. It's important to work collaboratively with the Wikipedia community to ensure that your page meets the site's standards.

Please let me know what you think so I may guide you on the next steps accordingly.

Regards Senior Wikipedia Administrator 99.192.32.253 (talk) 02:58, 21 January 2024 (UTC)
Moncton just happens to be where Andrew Tite lives. I starting to wonder if Andrew Tite really was contacted by someone pretending to be Brendanconway, or if he is just hopping on that as some kind of cover for his self-promotion. It seems odd that he is quoting the email even after being told it's a scam but not including the email address that sent it. I guess another possibility is that Andrew Tite is the person impersonating admins, but in that case it would be really stupid of him to draw attention to himself like this.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:48 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:33 pm
An IP from Moncton, (T-H-L) New Brunswick, Canada is still going on about this, even today.
IP saying they are Andrew Tite
Andrew Tite Page - You Keep Marking for Deletion

I received this reply from Brendan Conway. She confirmed that it is indeed not an advertisment and simply a biography preserving my legacy for future generations. This wikipedia page is very important to myself and the Tite family as it preserves part of our legacy as long as Wikipedia lives on. Over the last 15 or 20 years I've popped in once and a while to update the page with accurate information and an IMDB citation if possible. Brenda said that she agreed it's an innocent biography and recommended I remove to deletion notice and restore the removed sections, especially the part about modelling in Toronto as a 6 year old child as it adds depth to my story. I'm going to attempt to make some additional updates soon with additional citations when I have a bit of time to do some searching online. Everything written is 100% true and happened. I hope you are able to understand the importance of this page to myself and others. Thank you. Below if the email from Brenda Conway (as a citation of what I said above ;) ) Thanks again. Andrew Tite -- Jan 18, 2024, 12:29 AM Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reaching out and providing additional context regarding your Wikipedia page. I understand the sentimental value and the importance of preserving your legacy on the platform. I appreciate the effort you've put into maintaining the accuracy of the information over the years.

I have thoroughly reviewed your concerns and the Wikipedia deletion notice. It's clear that your intention is not to create an advertisement but to share a genuine and modest biography for the benefit of future generations. I also appreciate your efforts in providing accurate citations and addressing issues with dead links.

To ensure the preservation of your Wikipedia page, I recommend the following steps:

Reinstate Removed Content: It seems that a significant portion of your biography was removed. I suggest reinstating the content, especially the part about your childhood modeling in Toronto and the move to rural Ontario. This information adds depth and context to your story. Verify Citations: Confirm that all citations are up to date and accurate. If necessary, update the links or provide alternative sources to support the information. Collaborate on Improvements: Engage with the Wikipedia AFD Reviewer's team to address any specific concerns they have raised. This collaboration will demonstrate your commitment to meeting Wikipedia's guidelines. Explain the Importance: In your communication with the Wikipedia administrators, emphasize the personal significance of the page to you and your family. Highlight that it serves as a meaningful record for future generations. Request an Extension: If needed, request an extension to the timeline for improvements. This will provide you with sufficient time to make the necessary changes and work with the Wikipedia community.

Also, I want to draw your attention to how urgent it is to improve your Wikipedia page. "A deletion discussion should normally be allowed to run for seven full days (168 hours), your page was tagged on 22:38, 16 January 2024, and if there are no improvements on the page then such a page can be deleted and removed by a senior Wikipedia moderator, If the page is deleted, it will be permanently removed from Wikipedia. We have about Four days to notify the moderators that you are willing to address the issues and are interested in preserving the page, so they will allow you to move it to the draft section and allow you making improvements before it is deleted. Timely proceeding further will enable you to expedite the process and ensure the necessary improvements are made before the deadline.

Moreover, I recommend taking swift action to make these improvements to your Wikipedia page, Wikipedia has strict guidelines against editing Wikipedia page about oneself, and it's best to approach it with a neutral point of view. In case if you need assistance, let me know, I can link you with an internal certified Wikipedia editor from the Wikipedia community. he can provide you a professional assistance, also, he has been working in the Wikipedia community for the past 15 years, he can assist you in improve your page while adhering to Wikipedia's guidelines. Please note that each Wikipedia editor and moderator charges differently for their service, and as you know that Wikipedia is a non-profit organization, so any earnings done by providing services to the relevant clients automatically go to the Wikipedia organization donations.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out. It's important to work collaboratively with the Wikipedia community to ensure that your page meets the site's standards.

Please let me know what you think so I may guide you on the next steps accordingly.

Regards Senior Wikipedia Administrator 99.192.32.253 (talk) 02:58, 21 January 2024 (UTC)
Moncton just happens to be where Andrew Tite lives. I starting to wonder if Andrew Tite really was contacted by someone pretending to be Brendanconway, or if he is just hopping on that as some kind of cover for his self-promotion. It seems odd that he is quoting the email even after being told it's a scam but not including the email address that sent it. I guess another possibility is that Andrew Tite is the person impersonating admins, but in that case it would be really stupid of him to draw attention to himself like this.
Still not as bad as Andrew Tate.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

utbc
Critic

Unread post by utbc » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:24 am

Elinruby wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm
utbc wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
utbc wrote:
I am confused by many things; I am fairly certain that the above is a cultural reference I am just not grokking, for example
I apologise again. The shortcoming is not yours but surely mine. What I meant to covey was, "Are you joking? That's a complete non-sequitur." The two cases have nothing in common. Perhaps there are other editors, perhaps more of them, perhaps more influential, who would say Mzajac is not in fact a good editor. Anyway, Mzajac is in trouble for not knowing basic rules of adminning, including but not limited to INVOLVED.

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am
A better question is "Which admins down in the A's have already been used?" and why hasn't anyone found out?
Looks like they just skipped past me. Unless they're just picking semi-active admins ... in which case why Bradv?

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:18 pm

Black Kite wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Looks like they just skipped past me. Unless they're just picking semi-active admins ... in which case why Bradv?
Bradv was inactive at the time. No edits from August 2022 to about a week-and-a-half after Jimbo's stunt on Bradv's user talk.

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:25 pm

Lurking wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:18 pm
Black Kite wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Bradv was inactive at the time. No edits from August 2022 to about a week-and-a-half after Jimbo's stunt on Bradv's user talk.
Fair point. I was looking at the wrong year :facepalm:

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:33 pm

utbc wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:24 am
Elinruby wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm
utbc wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
utbc wrote:
I apologise again. The shortcoming is not yours but surely mine. What I meant to covey was, "Are you joking? That's a complete non-sequitur." The two cases have nothing in common. Perhaps there are other editors, perhaps more of them, perhaps more influential, who would say Mzajac is not in fact a good editor. Anyway, Mzajac is in trouble for not knowing basic rules of adminning, including but not limited to INVOLVED.
He's definitely inactive. That bit about New Orc Times also does sound involved but if it is it's the only instance of this that I am aware of and I ran into him quite a bit in Ukraine articles. He has a PoV but he knows it.