Do we really need over 600 articles on individual Samsung products?

Ming
the Merciless
kołdry

Do we really need over 600 articles on individual Samsung products?

Unread post by Ming » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:28 pm

See discussion here.

Over half the articles are Samsung Galaxy variants; most of the rest are flip phones.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Re: Do we really need over 600 articles on individual Samsung products?

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:14 pm

Oh, phones? That's one of the no-go areas for me, just like anything train or bus related. Do not touch the phone articles. There will be tantrums.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:14 pm
Oh, phones? That's one of the no-go areas for me, just like anything train or bus related. Do not touch the phone articles. There will be tantrums.
The editors of the DSM-5 (T-H-L) could add "edits Wikipedia articles about [enter topic area]" to the diagnostic criteria for several disorders for the next revision.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Pelican
Contributor

Unread post by Pelican » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:12 pm

It's really amazing that anyone still cares enough to create these, considering that "the new [blank] phone" has been the go-to answer to any question about the most boring consumer electronics product of the year for almost a decade now. Then again, I do hate smartphones so much that I bought one of these out of pure spite, so I definitely don't share the majority's opinion anyway.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:18 pm

I want to start a garage band called Dork Empire.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:54 am

At least iPhones get significant coverage of each years' model and a bevy of reviews and continued coverage. I don't know if it's the same for Samsung phones. But lots of these are also random market saturation stuff, not flagships that get the most attention.

Seems like there's an appetite to merge. That requires someone motivated to put the effort into cleaning that stuff up while being fussed at by nuts, though. So who knows what will happen. Lots of cruft stays on Wikipedia because lots of rational editors would rather improve stuff they care about rather than cleaning up others' messes.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:18 pm

RoySmith is now asking "do we really need articles on individual latitudes?"

Here's a random example of a latitude article: 18th parallel north (T-H-L).
The 18th parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 18 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Africa, Asia, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, Central America, the Caribbean and the Atlantic Ocean.

At this latitude the sun is visible for 13 hours, 13 minutes during the summer solstice and 11 hours, 3 minutes during the winter solstice.[1]
The source for this is an online daylight/darkness calculator. The remainder of the article is a list of countries that the line passes through or near.

There are, of course, 180 lines of latitude and 360 lines of longitude, and every single one has an article.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:39 am

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:18 pm
RoySmith is now asking "do we really need articles on individual latitudes?"

Here's a random example of a latitude article: 18th parallel north (T-H-L).
The 18th parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 18 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Africa, Asia, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, Central America, the Caribbean and the Atlantic Ocean.

At this latitude the sun is visible for 13 hours, 13 minutes during the summer solstice and 11 hours, 3 minutes during the winter solstice.[1]
The source for this is an online daylight/darkness calculator. The remainder of the article is a list of countries that the line passes through or near.

There are, of course, 180 lines of latitude and 360 lines of longitude, and every single one has an article.
Oh, I think there are few more than that! By my count there are around 2אo of them (although I must admit I didn't manage to count all of them, so this estimate may be out by a few billion or so).
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 pm

The latitude discussion has petered out just like the Samsung one. It seems everyone agrees that Something Must Be Done, but nobody wants to be the one to do it.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...